Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Rageaholic posted:

Who said I wanted a new Indy movie?

Fair

Sirotan posted:

This movie is like the antithesis of Top Gun Maverick. It's hard to imagine anything that made it into that trailer wasn't entirely CGI. The parade scene was especially egregious.

I wasn't really referring to the production of Top Gun, I just meant that Top Gun 2 hit all of the things the average fan would've wanted to see in a Top Gun movie, up to and including a guy in aviators singing great balls of fire in a bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The inclusion of "a guy in aviators singing Great Balls of Fire" in Top Gun Maverick had nothing to do with why the movie worked, that small coda to a scene/easter egg could have been excised with nothing lost.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jewmanji posted:

I mean what do you guys want from a new Indy movie? This was exactly what Top Gun 2 served up, they just did it very shrewdly. There's a template for an Indiana Jones movie that needs to be followed somewhat. I'm not saying that this movie is going to be any good (though casting Phoebe Waller-Bridge was an inspired idea), but I just don't know what people are expecting here.

That said, yes the overabundance of mediocre CGI is blah.

Have it be like Bond where you just get a new Indiana Jones every decade or so. No explanation, the new guy just has the hat and the whip and whatever. Then cast Oscar Isaac, get a big enough budget to have it be physical sets with practical effects, and make a trilogy of movies about Indy aiding independence movements across the global South post WW2.

Thematically Indy 5 looks on point but yeah the CGI bloat isn't doing it any favors.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3V5KDHRQvk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sure looks like Rocket is gonna die.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It may seem hypocritical after my railing against the Mario trailer but…I kinda liked the Indy trailer. It gave me a little bit of goosebumps. Yeah the music cue is cringe and there’s too much CGI, that kinda sucks. But man, it’s always surprising how much Ford brings it even on these legacy characters that he could easily sleepwalk through. Tentatively looking forward to it.

Edit: James Gunn has a really hard time walking the line of humor and earnest sentimentality, and mostly misses for me. The only time I feel like he’s brought it together was GotG2. The Christmas special was bad, but here’s hoping he finds the magic one more time.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 1, 2022

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

I was gonna say "I loving loved AmbuLAnce but I don't know that I can take another one of these movies.", but looks like Bay didn't even direct this one! It's directed by Steven Caple Jr., the director of Creed II.

Bay should never be allowed to make a $100+ million dollar movie ever again. Bad Boys 2 is the only good thing he's made at the level of blockbuster filmmaking (BB1 and The Rock cost less). Pain and Gain, 13 Hours and Ambulance show that he's at his best working within a 30-50 million dollar budget.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Could someone please post the Indiana Jones trailer when there's a high-quality version? That one is smeary as poo poo and nothing's up on the Apple Trailers site.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Edit: James Gunn has a really hard time walking the line of humor and earnest sentimentality, and mostly misses for me. The only time I feel like he’s brought it together was GotG2.

I was about to challenge you to a fight over your James Gunn take, but your comment on GotG2 made me pull back, because I get some serious emotions about that movie. So we're cool, I'll put the switchblade down.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah I really like that one

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Again the highlight is Dave Bautista.

Drax solo series post GotG3 is my guess

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Zero interest in Guardians. I was hoping that it would look interesting enough to be one last MCU hurrah for me, but no dice. I think I'm well and truly done with it all at this point, which just kinda feels like a relief.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This looks boring and fake. I love Indiana Jones. It deserves better than this awful loving era of digital danger.

You're not wrong. I'm a sucker for Indy and I hope this is good. There are promising bits in the trailer, but I couldn't help but get this feeling as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

forest spirit posted:

Again the highlight is Dave Bautista.

Drax solo series post GotG3 is my guess

Practically no chance of that happening. Bautista has said he's done with Drax after this movie. It's possible it's a negotiation tactic, but I believe him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hollywood still hasn't figured out that seeing an actual guy drag himself under a truck - even if the truck is "only" going 20 miles an hour and you can see the ditch they dug for safety - is more exciting than some big digital setpiece.

For chrissakes Tom Cruise is out there actually hanging on an airplane and doing the poo poo and Keanu is out there training with Judo and guns and doing the poo poo and people are clamoring for "more of that! wow!" and marveling at the immediacy and danger of old action movies and Hollywood can't figure out that these bloodless digital dances are one hair away from watching a video game cutscene. It's very frustrating!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 2, 2022

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Because people keep going to watch these big tentpole CGI movies despite what you read in comments online pining for the days of practical effects.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

thrawn527 posted:

Practically no chance of that happening. Bautista has said he's done with Drax after this movie. It's possible it's a negotiation tactic, but I believe him.

Good for Dave. gently caress Disney, I believe they threatened the outspoken cast members when Gunn was cancelled a couple of years ago, and I think he was the loudest of those voices if I remember right.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hollywood still hasn't figured out that seeing an actual guy drag himself under a truck - even if the truck is "only" going 20 miles an hour and you can see the ditch they dug for safety - is more exciting than some big digital setpiece.

For chrissakes Tom Cruise is out there actually hanging on an airplane and doing the poo poo and Keanu is out there training with Judo and guns and doing the poo poo and people are clamoring for "more of that! wow!" and marveling at the immediacy and danger of old action movies and Hollywood can't figure out that these bloodless digital dances are one hair away from watching a video game cutscene. It's very frustrating!

Not a lot of psychos like Keanu and Cruise just sitting around waiting for their chance at stardom. They’re unique talents. There’s only one Jackie Chan and you just have to make peace with it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

Not a lot of psychos like Keanu and Cruise just sitting around waiting for their chance at stardom. They’re unique talents. There’s only one Jackie Chan and you just have to make peace with it.

If I had said "Mad Max Fury Road" would that have helped you process what I was saying? I'm pointing out that action scenes filmed in a real place with real stunts and real objects - even those with extensive digital processing after the fact to remove wires, face swap, whatever- have far better scenes than these digital tableaus.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Because people keep going to watch these big tentpole CGI movies despite what you read in comments online pining for the days of practical effects.

They don't have a choice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Have it be like Bond where you just get a new Indiana Jones every decade or so. No explanation, the new guy just has the hat and the whip and whatever. Then cast Oscar Isaac, get a big enough budget to have it be physical sets with practical effects, and make a trilogy of movies about Indy aiding independence movements across the global South post WW2.

Thematically Indy 5 looks on point but yeah the CGI bloat isn't doing it any favors.

Ford seems to be pretty possessive of Indy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/battleupsaber/status/1598445502806519808?t=Ontz70-JWFCTx2E3FOUoQA&s=19

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Man people are so joyless around here. I’m just happy we get to have another Indiana Jones movie with Ford in it. What am I gonna do, not watch it?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They don't have a choice.

What are you talking about, of course they do. Nobody’s forcing anybody to go see the Jurassic World or whatever, there’s no minimum government mandated number of movies to see per year. People enjoy going to see these CGI fueled bores.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie of all time.

I'm not going to watch that trailer, just like I didn't watch the last movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

man nurse posted:

Man people are so joyless around here. I’m just happy we get to have another Indiana Jones movie with Ford in it. What am I gonna do, not watch it?

Just opening your maw and accepting anything without criticism is lame.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie of all time.

I'm not going to watch that trailer, just like I didn't watch the last movie.

You never saw Last Crusade?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The slowed down Indiana Jones theme is just bad. Also its only there for a split second but Ford looks like an absolute maniac near the end where you get a close up of his face when he's riding the horse.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

man nurse posted:

it's definitely our problem for not being interested in seeing an 80 year creak through a role from his heydays like a former college athlete stretching the jersey over his beergut and thinking it still fits

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

You never saw Last Crusade?

took me a second lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

muscles like this! posted:

The slowed down Indiana Jones theme is just bad. Also its only there for a split second but Ford looks like an absolute maniac near the end where you get a close up of his face when he's riding the horse.

Yeah I mean the de-aged Ford looks fantastic. Full CG Ford on Horse looks loving atrocious.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I hated Crystal Skull so maybe I’m a dumbass for liking this new trailer. The ticker tape parade scene and that shot of him on a horse look godawful, though. Phoebe Waller Bridge is a good addition. And I guess we’re getting a time travel movie.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I used to let my tape rock til my tape pop... and then I was like, Laserbeak! Oh no!!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

The slowed down Indiana Jones theme is just bad.

The movie is about a slowed down Indiana Jones.

I'm inclined to give trailer CG a little more leeway as well. How many times has it turned out to be an unfinished shot rushed out for the promo stuff?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What if the whole final act is an evil CGI cyborg Mads Mikkelsen rampaging through Cape Canaveral prior to the Apollo 11 launch with the Macguffin, ala Men In Black 3?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jedit posted:

I'm inclined to give trailer CG a little more leeway as well. How many times has it turned out to be an unfinished shot rushed out for the promo stuff?

only 100% of the time

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

Zero times has a poo poo shot from a trailer looked great in a movie. It might be passable in the movie, but not once has it improved vastly enough to make a difference.

Gonz posted:

What if the whole final act is an evil CGI cyborg Mads Mikkelsen rampaging through Cape Canaveral prior to the Apollo 11 launch with the Macguffin, ala Men In Black 3?

As soon as I saw those glasses on Mads I got the sense that they're going to be recycling the unused Raiders concept art...

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Indiana Jones and the Missing of the Spielberg

Indiana Jones and the Deepfake of the Elderly

Indiana Jones and the Spinning of the Wheels

Looks tired.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Indiana Jones and the Missing of the Spielberg

Indiana Jones and The Son of The Fabelmans

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

As soon as I saw those glasses on Mads I got the sense that they're going to be recycling the unused Raiders concept art...

Are you telling me they're raiders of the lost art

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jewmanji posted:

I mean what do you guys want from a new Indy movie?

Not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I mean what do you guys want from a new Indy movie?

Big drat ants!