Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I had a good time watching party girl (1995) last night. parker posey gets arrested for being a party girl, starts working at a library, meets a falafel vendor, and wears a hundred amazing outfits.. she smokes weed at the library and dewey decimalizes her housemates records.

oh there’s also liev schrieber playing a buffoonish rapist with a horrible English accent.

i watched it with a library worker and she said it portrays some of the realities pretty well (of course it was 30 years ago so), especially the tension between librarians and not-librarians. it was cool to have the focus on the falafel vendor too, who is actually a teacher from Lebanon. refreshingly the only really rich person in the movie is a psycho club owner, and there’s no focus on her internal life. it’s a pretty feel good movie.

i think I said this before I had a real close friend die 10 years ago in November and she looked and acted exactly like parker, especially in this movie, it almost hurts to watch. she finally partied too hard, miss her a lot :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
sounds like she died doing what she loved, we should all be so lucky

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

sounds like she died doing what she loved, we should all be so lucky

drowned in a pond though

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1598748988668317696

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

drowned in a pond though

was it a party pond

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

he is the best so he's be lying if he didn't

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

mawarannahr posted:

I had a good time watching party girl (1995) last night. parker posey gets arrested for being a party girl, starts working at a library, meets a falafel vendor, and wears a hundred amazing outfits.. she smokes weed at the library and dewey decimalizes her housemates records.

oh there’s also liev schrieber playing a buffoonish rapist with a horrible English accent.

i watched it with a library worker and she said it portrays some of the realities pretty well (of course it was 30 years ago so), especially the tension between librarians and not-librarians. it was cool to have the focus on the falafel vendor too, who is actually a teacher from Lebanon. refreshingly the only really rich person in the movie is a psycho club owner, and there’s no focus on her internal life. it’s a pretty feel good movie.

i think I said this before I had a real close friend die 10 years ago in November and she looked and acted exactly like parker, especially in this movie, it almost hurts to watch. she finally partied too hard, miss her a lot :smith:

I like this movie a lot, and think it's super fun, but I'm a librarian.

I think it's the second best librarian based movie behind Desk Set (1957)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

was it a party pond

you’re a twisted little guy :)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:same:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you missed the best part.

sorry I could only find this version.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

you’re a twisted little guy :)

sorry did you want sincere condolences

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

sorry did you want sincere condolences

if you're gonna make fun of someone saying their friend died, maybe at least try to make the joke funny

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Dec 2, 2022

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm surprised The Sting doesn't make these best-of lists. The screenplay is astonishingly good.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

any list without fury road is fraudulent

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Miller's a great director obviously but Fury Road wasn't even the best action movie released in 2015

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

zodiac is lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

Miller's a great director obviously but Fury Road wasn't even the best action movie released in 2015

yeah they had some movies showing the toil of the working man instead of underwear models driving cars in a desert.

mad max is boring to me and I assume it’s a car thing.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

a lot of these guys like boring film school type movies

happy as lazzaro?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'd never have picked Saturday Night Fever but now that I saw it on a list I kind of get why you'd rank it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its like they were late to turn in their homework and just looked at AFI 100 - self reinforcing

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TED 2

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

yeah they had some movies showing the toil of the working man instead of underwear models driving cars in a desert.

I wonder if this is worth watching. Travolta acting against Stone sounds like it could be a lot of fun

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

I wonder if this is worth watching. Travolta acting against Stone sounds like it could be a lot of fun

the critics say no, the audience is too busy saying “yeah!”

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

this checks out yeah

E: Treasure of the Sierra Madre is such an Eggers style movie I feel dumb for not drawing thar connection before

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Dec 2, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

poitras understandably heavy on docs

oliver stone with Avatar

george miller repping 3 movies from the 2010s

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Parasite Bong

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

george miller repping 3 movies from the 2010s

Awwww Miller and Bong voted for each other

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
are these individual lists collected online somwhere?

Antonymous posted:

its like they were late to turn in their homework and just looked at AFI 100 - self reinforcing
thats my impression too.

but some of em are neat.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Is Grand Budapest that good?

I was out on Wes and Bill murray after that sub one.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Femur posted:

it’s the last Wes I saw. it was a drag and I assume it’s all nearly self parody at this point.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its got a cool aesthetic and willam dafoe

I am trying to drat it with faint praise

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Xaris posted:

are these individual lists collected online somwhere?

not yet, BFI will make a full database sometime soon. heres the 2012 database for your browsing pleasure https://www2.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

these people's pathologies are identical

"I will not say shawshank redemption, I will say citizen kane"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Femur posted:

i enjoyed it. i think it might be wes's best movie, or at least tied with fantastic mr fox, but that's a hard sell for me to imagine it being someone's top favorites

then again ~art is subjective~

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I am just going to do it. Watch Andrei Rublev tonight. Maybe follow it up with Ted 2.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

best movies of 2010s (that I have seen)

Uncle Boonme
Act of Killing
Cold War
Inside Llewen Davis
Parasite
Moonlight
Carol
Mad Max
Hereditary
Social Network
Melancholia
Tree of Life
Gone Girl
Toni Erdman
Uncut Gems
Shoplifters
Nightcrawler
Sicario
Marriage Story
Wild Tales
A Ghost Story
Birdman

There's a million I haven't seen,
Ida
Two Days, One Night
Whiplash
Portrait of a lady on fire
Force Majeure
Raw
Annomalisa
Florida Project
Son of Saul
Prisoners
Drive
etc

And a million I've seen that aren't that good but seem to always make these lists
Roma
The Farewell
Phantom Thread
12 Years a Slave
Get Out
Burning
Jojo Rabbit
etc

edit: sorry I keep making GBS threads up the thread with lists. I have a condition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lol at sneaking a tv show on there.