Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm trying to figure out how LEGO is still making fascismpolice sets.

Not just making them, making them a cornerstone of one of their few remaining non-licensed lines. Had a hell of a time trying to shop for nieces & nephews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pyroclastic posted:

You cannot tell me that this Monkie Kid set wasn't originally a Horizon Forbidden West set that got repurposed.

I could tell you that but I wouldn't believe me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waltzing Along posted:

But yeah, Friends sets consistently are great. For those who build them, do they have cool techniques?

In terms of technique the biggest ones (eg that Flower & Design Stores set, the Theatre School or Art School from this year) are roughly comparable to the 3-in-1 buildings or some of the simpler bits of the modulars/ideas line, using a mix of snot work, architecturally interesting pieces, and good aesthetic choices.

The main differences are that the walls are often larger, single pieces (sometimes to accommodate stickers) and that they are sometimes roofless or just facades / thin fronts (the Art School is a good example of this too).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 3, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm trying to figure out how LEGO is still making fascismpolice sets.

so that I can build and photograph dioramas depicting the awfulness of police

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

If you are going to have Spider-man drive a car why wouldn't you pursue a deal to get Toei Spider-man. That way he can fly his car into the giant mecha Leopardon to avenge Planet Spider against the evil Professor Monster.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Pyroclastic posted:

You cannot tell me that this Monkie Kid set wasn't originally a Horizon Forbidden West set that got repurposed.
if that was true why wouldn't they just release the HFW version? the tallneck was sold out for months

seems like if they were gonna release a second set it would be a Thunderjaw but I'm happy for anything

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Sloppy posted:

Seriously, who buys them? They were always the lamest sets to get as kids, and for some reason they were the go-to for everyone to gift. Give me space or castle dammit :mad:

The police and fire sets were a lot of fun when I was a kid. :shrug:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
what boggles me about the "City" line is it just means "emergency personnel" because you only get Fire, Police, maybe Hospital, and of course now Stuntz

if you want something like an "apartment" or "store" you gotta go to the Friends or Creator line which are stylistically different (which is to say better looking)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Sloppy posted:

Seriously, who buys them? They were always the lamest sets to get as kids, and for some reason they were the go-to for everyone to gift. Give me space or castle dammit :mad:

Well in 1986 I loved the police station 6386. Garage goes up. Garage goes down. Garage goes up. Garage goes down.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That Friends Tiny House is probably the most realistically scaled Lego building ever.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

davebo posted:

Well in 1986 I loved the police station 6386. Garage goes up. Garage goes down. Garage goes up. Garage goes down.

Hell yeah, fire station 6382. Can't tell you how many time I parked that ladder truck like a pro.

Sivart13 posted:

what boggles me about the "City" line is it just means "emergency personnel" because you only get Fire, Police, maybe Hospital, and of course now Stuntz

Well yeah sure if you ignore all the trains, space, food trucks, numerous buildings that aren't first responder related, vehicles, and so on. Aka 75% of the line. I'm sorry but not everyone starts foaming at the mouth when they see the word police, most of all kids.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 3, 2022

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
As a kid somehow I never got any police but had 3 different tow trucks.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Space Police was a better line anyway because you could toss aside the Space Police dude, remove any of the branding, and let the cool Blacktron guy fly around in an awesome ship

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Whaah?! Last thing i expected, but very welcome. They just gotta bring the goats back next. I need a Black Philip.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ChesterJT posted:

The police and fire sets were a lot of fun when I was a kid. :shrug:

My kid makes nonstop action vignettes with his police and "crooks"

They go to jail, get broke out, rob the bank, crash, fire department comes etc.

I'm sure that Lego city cartoons/Lego undercover game encourage this mindset but he loves it

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone know if the Red farm truck is retiring soonish?

Also super excited about the list of 30th Anniversary Jurassic Parks sets. Assuming that they are real.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

I'm sorry but not everyone starts foaming at the mouth when they see the word police, most of all kids.

It just seems like a weird choice of a motif for a company that usually shies away from contemporary real world violence. There are no modern military themed Lego sets for a reason, and kids love playing with army stuff.

quote:

We also acknowledge children’s well-proven ability to tell play from reality. However, to make sure to maintain the right balance between play and conflict, we have adhered to a set of unwritten rules for several years. In 2010, we have formalized these rules in a guideline for the use of conflict and weapons in LEGO products. The basic aim is to avoid realistic weapons and military equipment that children may recognize from hot spots around the world and to refrain from showing violent or frightening situations when communicating about LEGO products. At the same time, the purpose is for the LEGO brand not to be associated with issues that glorify conflicts and unethical or harmful behavior.

Replace military with police in that Lego statement and it's still accurate for a lot of children.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 3, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think part of it is that police = fascism is slowly starting to become a more common belief. For years, general society has viewed police as a good thing. It's going to take a while yet before they are commonly seen as evil.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Currently building Santa's Visit and drat, the door made me realize how bad my eyesight obviously got over the years. Took me way too long to see the black line in front of the dark brown plate modified... *rubs eyes

e :argh: should have used the PDF, no light glare and brighter dark brown

tuo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 3, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or just get reading glasses. Sucks but it kinda becomes necessary for many of us.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Yeah, definitely about time. Got normal glasses this year and boy is it wild to be able to see sutff at a distance clearly again. But not good for reading...

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

tuo posted:

Yeah, definitely about time. Got normal glasses this year and boy is it wild to be able to see sutff at a distance clearly again. But not good for reading...

I got bifocals early this year and they're still great for distance but arms-length is a bit soft so I have to keep all my fonts big, and they're worthless up close, I just push them up on my head and look at things real close without them when I need to (pretty much any time I use a cellphone). Wondering if I can get something more effective in 2023.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just have to say how unfair it is that some people go their entire lives with perfect vision while I have been color blind and have had to wear glasses since middle school. I did get lasers in my eyes 16 years ago and still have perfect vision for anything past arms length. But I wear glasses constantly again because or wanting to be able to read or do pretty much anything other than look at the TV or drive.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Waltzing Along posted:

I just have to say how unfair it is that some people go their entire lives with perfect vision while I have been color blind and have had to wear glasses since middle school. I did get lasers in my eyes 16 years ago and still have perfect vision for anything past arms length. But I wear glasses constantly again because or wanting to be able to read or do pretty much anything other than look at the TV or drive.

I somehow never got checked until second grade when they were trying to teach us cursive, and have had terrible glasses ever since. I basically see like a macro lens without them. Also terrible astigmatism but I didn't get a prismed lens to correct that until 2014 or so because my previous optometrist just kept telling me it was a lazy eye and I should wear an eyepatch over the good one to "train" it. I think he might have been an idiot. Depth perception is still occasionally novel.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I think part of it is that police = fascism is slowly starting to become a more common belief. For years, general society has viewed police as a good thing. It's going to take a while yet before they are commonly seen as evil.
This is also really depended on the country you live in. The police in Europe is (in my opinion) very different from the police in the US.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
That Friends lineup is so much better than the City lineup. I realise a lot of the City sets are also in the 4+ line but drat.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I got bifocals early this year and they're still great for distance but arms-length is a bit soft so I have to keep all my fonts big, and they're worthless up close, I just push them up on my head and look at things real close without them when I need to (pretty much any time I use a cellphone). Wondering if I can get something more effective in 2023.

My doctor advised me against bifocals, said my eyesight in close is still good enough. Problem is I tend to forget I'm wearing my glasses which means everything close is super blurry. After a lot of eye squeezing and putting poo poo at different distances in front of me, I remember the glasses and take them off. Pure "getting used to thing", I guess. But I'll get some cheap reading glasses to try anyway, as reading became pretty hard also and the glasses made me realize how bad it got anyway over the years. Getting old as gently caress is quite the trip...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrChud posted:

Anyone know if the Red farm truck is retiring soonish?

Also super excited about the list of 30th Anniversary Jurassic Parks sets. Assuming that they are real.

The big ~$120 pickup truck? Thankfully that’s not retiring just yet. I really want it, but it’ll have to be next year, I think.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I think Lego approaches police from a very European perspective. I'm not saying that European police is harmless compared to American police, just that the perception is different. The average cop on the street isn't nearly the front line soldier in state violence in Europe, at least not overtly. You see this in police-themed toys in general. When you get one of those cheap police play sets that's just a bunch of stuff on card, odds are pretty good that there won't even be a toy gun included. Usually the only weapon will be a baton, because that's what's most closely associated with police force over here.

Again, not saying that European cops aren't racist or part of systems of oppression, just that perception is very different and the association with violence is far less overt than in the United States.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Can confirm. Our police actually has the slogen "The Police, your friend and helping hand". But let me tell you, greeting them with "Hello Friend, how can I help YOU?" when they stop you rarely goes well...

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve finished building the UCS Star Destroyer!!

It’s an amazing set, and a great model.

I severely underestimated its size, I’m not sure where I’m gonna put it…..

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hang it from the ceiling

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

tuo posted:

Can confirm. Our police actually has the slogen "The Police, your friend and helping hand". But let me tell you, greeting them with "Hello Friend, how can I help YOU?" when they stop you rarely goes well...

That’s a originally a nazi slogan fwiw, none other than Heinrich Himmler had a big boner for that :eng101:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zwille posted:

That’s a originally a nazi slogan fwiw, none other than Heinrich Himmler had a big boner for that :eng101:

Seriously? Wow...then again having actually watched my first Großer Zapfenstreich for Merkel, nothing shocks me anymore in this country...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The little freebie elf ice skating set is very cute.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I always keep an eye on Facebook marketplace but I think I've hit a new high this weekend. 5 medium bins with a bunch of instructions for $50. In those bins are most if not all of both Queen Anne's Revenge and the Black Pearl... Not done inventorying but I've found 80% of the minifig bits in there already, plus the sails, hulls, and more. Then there's dozens of other sets, mostly city and Ninjago.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

New to the thread. Have recently gotten back into LEGO having not gotten a set since I was maybe 9 years old (I'm 35 for context so I'm becoming tremendously old), but the Botanical Collection really captured my attention recently so I snapped up the Succulents set and am probably gonna start building it over the Christmas break. I'm also 80% sure my goonhusband has bought me the Bonsai Tree set as a Christmas gift :ssh:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That is what held me back from buying the Star Destroyer, I couldn’t think of some place to display it. And I couldn’t justify the price tag to build it and then immediately tear it down. It’s a shame it’s out of print now, but it’s probably for the best, as I eventually would have bought it. Instead I can figure out where to put UCS Razor Crest.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

New to the thread. Have recently gotten back into LEGO having not gotten a set since I was maybe 9 years old (I'm 35 for context so I'm becoming tremendously old), but the Botanical Collection really captured my attention recently so I snapped up the Succulents set and am probably gonna start building it over the Christmas break. I'm also 80% sure my goonhusband has bought me the Bonsai Tree set as a Christmas gift :ssh:

I <3 the botanical line and have been sucked into the world of second hand bricks because I wanted to build a flower pot for the bouquet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

smackfu posted:

The little freebie elf ice skating set is very cute.

Yeah, though the instructions explicitly suggest that you combine it with the Santa’s workshop freebie and I don’t have enough other poo poo to order to justify that