Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm sure the usual internet types will cry that the KKK were censored but the scene is effective without and we don't need to platform direct hate symbols.

I feel like they never really gave Made in Heaven a huge visual spectacle moment like they did with The World/BTD/KC.
The World is a bit dampened now because we've seen it so much but in a bubble, the first time we see it is awesome.
I think they could have done more to make Pucci's speed more intimidating, but whatever Netflix are doing for JoJo and David, it's definitely not giving them more money to spend more time making those showcase moments.

The galaxy stuff is all pretty, though.

If Kira getting drunk on victory wine counts as a big visual spectacle then the galaxy stuff should too

e: also dumb close-range dodges aside I think they did a pretty good job making MiH fuckin terrifying

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rip to Pucci’s famous pose

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did they skip out on a lot of the little poses and side moments for part 6? Like, more than expected?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hatty posted:

literally unwatchable

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hatty posted:

Favorite bystander in Jojo, guy just wants to shake Spider-Man’s hand

Everybody gets one.

hatty posted:

Alright, what the gently caress. I could handle the loss of the funny Mickey line and sliding Jolyne wasn't even something I paid much mind, but I need my weird Pucci squat.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Everybody gets one.

Alright, what the gently caress. I could handle the loss of the funny Mickey line and sliding Jolyne wasn't even something I paid much mind, but I need my weird Pucci squat.

tbf he does still spend like that entire fight in the sassiest stance possible

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

With the final OP ver being "Pucci and Jolyne go back to the part 1 OP and fight there"(which is rad btw) I'm kinda sad we never got a ridiculous time battle with these two

like it's Joseph vs Wamu or whatever and suddenly a sentient mobius strip and the flash are just going apeshit in the middle of it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yinlock posted:

With the final OP ver being "Pucci and Jolyne go back to the part 1 OP and fight there"(which is rad btw) I'm kinda sad we never got a ridiculous time battle with these two

like it's Joseph vs Wamu or whatever and suddenly a sentient mobius strip and the flash are just going apeshit in the middle of it

Pucci defeating Jolyne in Egypt as a dark reprise of the Jotaro vs. DIO conclusion would be kind of neat.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this really depresses me. how much poo poo they removed. the slideshow animation. I don't trust david productions for Steel ball run at all.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mirello posted:

this really depresses me. how much poo poo they removed. the slideshow animation. I don't trust david productions for Steel ball run at all.

for the 3rd time, it's fine and you're over-exaggerating to the point of absurdity

yes some animetuber probably had strong words about it with an attention grabbing thumbnail with "RUINED FOREVER?!" in big bold letters but try looking past that

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pucci defeating Jolyne in Egypt as a dark reprise of the Jotaro vs. DIO conclusion would be kind of neat.

Speaking of that, it was neat how the whole harpoon and bullets situation was a dark mirror of Jotaro and the knives from part 3. It's even more pronounced in the anime where it uses the same shot of the projectiles slowly speeding up and getting way too close before being punched.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCk2udVFvo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Good change: Foo Fighters is now part of the "rip in peace everyone except for emporio" spread from the last page.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

for the 3rd time, it's fine and you're over-exaggerating to the point of absurdity

yes some animetuber probably had strong words about it with an attention grabbing thumbnail with "RUINED FOREVER?!" in big bold letters but try looking past that

lol, so I'm not allowed to have opinions of my own now?

go to episode 27, randomly click on spots. press play and watch for a few seconds. in almost every spot you click, action scene or not, you'll just see loving mouths mouth or the camera panning across a still image. the rods also look like poo poo, literally.

I'm not one to complain about animation. I didn't care about white snake being cg in some scenes or lang ranger. I'd say 3 and 5 had good animation, and 1, 2, and 4 had it good in the right moments, and it didn't detract from my enjoyment. this animation (or lack there of) is detracting from my enjoyment, and I can't remember the last time that happened with a show.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The rods are clearly dicks and not poo poo.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Yinlock posted:

I don't know. While I'm pretty lenient towards it, SBR is a much bigger production that would require much more effort, and seeing this definitely doesn't help. Like, sure, nothing is THAT bad individually, but together it doesn't really hold.
David Pro was already kinda weird with animation and mostly fixed some glaring problems with BluRays, but I would say that quite a few parts looked better than Stone Ocean.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mirello posted:

lol, so I'm not allowed to have opinions of my own now?

go to episode 27, randomly click on spots. press play and watch for a few seconds. in almost every spot you click, action scene or not, you'll just see loving mouths mouth or the camera panning across a still image. the rods also look like poo poo, literally.

I'm not one to complain about animation. I didn't care about white snake being cg in some scenes or lang ranger. I'd say 3 and 5 had good animation, and 1, 2, and 4 had it good in the right moments, and it didn't detract from my enjoyment. this animation (or lack there of) is detracting from my enjoyment, and I can't remember the last time that happened with a show.

During your last attempt at pushing this overreaction you openly said you got the opinion from an animetuber so yes. Stone Ocean also "has it good" in the right moments, very likely you just don't like the story as much which is totally fine. Hell, it's even okay if you're not a fan of the animation, just stop trying to frame it as NO EFFORT RUINED FOREVER, SBR ANIMATION PREEMPTIVELY poo poo

If you wanna see some real rough poo poo look at some parts of TV part 4(e: which still doesn't look bad in motion but oh boy did they like halfasssing anything even slightly in the background)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 2, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah the manga is better but I think the only part the Anime was better than the manga is Part 1. It's still fun to watch and doesn't ruin anything even if it doesn't elevate the material as much as I'd like. The release schedule definitely ruined the hype though that's not up for debate

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hatty posted:

Yeah the manga is better but I think the only part the Anime was better than the manga is Part 1. It's still fun to watch and doesn't ruin anything even if it doesn't elevate the material as much as I'd like. The release schedule definitely ruined the hype though that's not up for debate

oh yeah no argument with the release schedule being rear end, gently caress netflix

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

During your last attempt at pushing this overreaction you openly said you got the opinion from an animetuber so yes. Stone Ocean also "has it good" in the right moments, very likely you just don't like the story as much which is totally fine. Hell, it's even okat if you're not a fan of the animation, just stop trying to frame it as NO EFFORT RUINED FOREVER

If you wanna see some real rough poo poo look at some parts of TV part 4(e: which still doesn't look bad in motion but oh boy did they like halfasssing anything even slightly in the background)

Dude, seriously, poo poo the gently caress up. I said that someone else worded it well. For the record, as someone who's reas the whole manga, I'd say golden wind was my least favorite part, actually. My favorite parts are a tie between jojolion and diamond is unbreakable. My second favorite is a tie between steel ball run and stone ocean.

Golden wind is an example of an adaptation that really enlivened the source material. When it was coming out, it was hard to ignore it, with tons of memes and discussions. It added tons of people to the fan base.

Stone ocean couldn't be further. I personally feel as though stone ocean couldn't be further. JoJo discussion online is dead, and it's not 100% because of batch's. The quality feels worse. You can say that's subjective, but that's how I feel.

To put my cards on the table, until part 5 came out I did watch the Blu-ray/ fixed parts, so maybe as they were airing they looked this bad. At least they were eventually fixed! Stone ocean isn't even getting any fixes on blu ray, a situation that is, to my knowledge, pretty unprecedented for an anime like this!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mirello posted:

Dude, seriously, poo poo the gently caress up. I said that someone else worded it well. For the record, as someone who's reas the whole manga, I'd say golden wind was my least favorite part, actually. My favorite parts are a tie between jojolion and diamond is unbreakable. My second favorite is a tie between steel ball run and stone ocean.

Golden wind is an example of an adaptation that really enlivened the source material. When it was coming out, it was hard to ignore it, with tons of memes and discussions. It added tons of people to the fan base.

Stone ocean couldn't be further. I personally feel as though stone ocean couldn't be further. JoJo discussion online is dead, and it's not 100% because of batch's. The quality feels worse. You can say that's subjective, but that's how I feel.

To put my cards on the table, until part 5 came out I did watch the Blu-ray/ fixed parts, so maybe as they were airing they looked this bad. At least they were eventually fixed! Stone ocean isn't even getting any fixes on blu ray, a situation that is, to my knowledge, pretty unprecedented for an anime like this!

Yeah sorry, i'm overreacting myself to the overreaction. It's a pet peeve of mine when people bring out the end-times trumpets when something gets rough(see also whenever Nintendo does something lovely(unfortunately common) followed by 5,000,000 "NINTENDO DOOMED" spicy takes that never come true) but flipping my poo poo at anyone who does so just makes things even more tedious for everyone else.

I think it's because part 6 just isn't as good overall. Araki was burning out from the weekly schedule and boy does it show towards the end. I do think the batches are mostly responsible though, Part 5's finale is rear end but everyone got super hype over it anyway. I think a lot of the "what the gently caress" of part 6's finale would go down easier if people had a week between episodes to digest it.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

Yeah sorry, i'm overreacting myself to the overreaction. It's a pet peeve of mine when people bring out the end-times trumpets when something gets rough(see also whenever Nintendo does something lovely(unfortunately common) followed by 5,000,000 "NINTENDO DOOMED" spicy takes that never come true) but flipping my poo poo at anyone who does so just makes things even more tedious for everyone else.

I think it's because part 6 just isn't as good overall. Araki was burning out from the weekly schedule and boy does it show towards the end. I do think the batches are mostly responsible though, Part 5's finale is rear end but everyone got super hype over it anyway. I think a lot of the "what the gently caress" of part 6's finale would go down easier if people had a week between episodes to digest it.

I'll chill out to, although I do disagree with you.
Stone ocean imo has a great start, a middling middle, but everything after they leave the prison is pure gold and distilled JoJo to me. It showcased a lot of his bizarre and unpredictable tendencies as a writer, which is why I love JoJo so much.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mirello posted:

I'll chill out to, although I do disagree with you.
Stone ocean imo has a great start, a middling middle, but everything after they leave the prison is pure gold and distilled JoJo to me. It showcased a lot of his bizarre and unpredictable tendencies as a writer, which is why I love JoJo so much.

I think it's just a bit too much all at once, every post-prison Enemy Stando is just completely insane in wildly different ways. C-Moon is the down-to-earth and practical one by comparison, and it's loving crazy.

Unrelated, but in the final OP ver. the manga panels used for the reverse-flip are actually different from the Part 1 OP.

1: Jonathan holding Speedwagon, Jonathan posing in front of a shot with his family. I don't recognize either of these specifically but they're both pretty good.
2: Joseph's "tee hee I did it again" pose, "I PLANNED EVERYTHING FROM THE VERY START"
3: Don't recognize the 1st one(I think it's when SP first appears), Jotaro vs DIO punch rush, Jotaro at the airport at the end of part 3. Gee Jotaro how come your mom lets you have 3 panels
4: Josuke promising to protect the town(Buff Josuke's first anime appearance!!!), Josuke punching through a car in Highway Star
5: GER punching Diavolo, close-up of Giorno saying something.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 2, 2022

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Yinlock posted:

I think it's because part 6 just isn't as good overall.

Deranged thing to say about the best part

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Part 6 is better than Part 1, 2, 5, and at least half of Part 3. It’s in the middle of the group

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

goblin week posted:

Deranged thing to say about the best part

I never said anything about part 4 there though???

Yeah that may have been too harsh, I think it's a bit Much all at once though. It really needs some downtime.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Being a bit much all the time is just JoJo, man

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pootybutt posted:

Being a bit much all the time is just JoJo, man

the gently caress you just say about my hair????

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

the gently caress you just say about my hair????

The best part of them adding Pet Shop to All Star Battle R is Josuke being able to pick up this bird talking poo poo about his hair despite Pet Shop being only able to speak in bird noises.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

The best part of them adding Pet Shop to All Star Battle R is Josuke being able to pick up this bird talking poo poo about his hair despite Pet Shop being only able to speak in bird noises.

With Baoh the narrator explains how Baoh dislikes "the scent of the enemy's hairstyle" which Josuke also picks up on

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

fun all star battle R fact now that Real Pucci and Weather are out: apparently if you hit MiH with Bites The Dust it reverts back to Whitesnake

this is wildly impractical and not particularly useful, but it's very funny given how much Pucci has to go through to bring that thing out

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If it's the same as the original, GER also ignores the effect of MiH.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mirello posted:

Dude, seriously, poo poo the gently caress up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Having watched through to the ending, it’s only a few episodes early in the batch that felt a bit rough. The production value jumps up a lot when they reach the flashback to Pucci’s origin story and there are some animated flourishes that are as good as anything in Golden Wind. Pucci’s VA also goes very hard.

My personal anecdote as to whether it’s quality that killed Stone Ocean’s hype as opposed to the worst release schedule in history: I watched this with someone who is anime-only and they thought it blew Golden Wind out of the water

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Augus posted:

My personal anecdote as to whether it’s quality that killed Stone Ocean’s hype as opposed to the worst release schedule in history: I watched this with someone who is anime-only and they thought it blew Golden Wind out of the water

Yeah I agree. There's no doubt it's the pacing. The anime itself is good and more or less comparable to earlier parts. It's just impossible to discuss it with this kind of schedule and build any kind of hype or sustained interest. This has been such a worse experience compared to Golden Wind or any of the previous parts in terms of how the show is presented. Then you get these large gaps in between the "seasons" and it makes it all much worse.

I really hope they learn from this and do a weekly release for Part 7 if it happens. Netflix has done plenty of weekly shows in the past so that should be doable. If they can do it for Great British Bake Off, they can do it for Steel Ball Run. (If a Steel Ball Run anime is even going to happen at this point)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://jojo-news.com/2022/12/04/part-9-jojolands-protagonist-will-be-a-joseph-joestar-descendant/

Araki did an interview for a magazine and gave our first bit of info for JOJOLANDS in that the protagonist will be a descendant of the SBR timeline's Joseph.

He is also interested in making a Thus Spoke story set in the Americas.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Finally, it's time for Shizuka Joestar to shine.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I really hope it's an sbr-verse shizuka! Her never showing up again was such a missed opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sincerely, there is nothing I'd love more than for Araki to close Jojo out with another goofy comedy Jojo, SBR-Shizuka would be perfect