Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Alright so I think I’ve got what’s happening in Ichinose Family the main kid is/was a huge bully and with his amnesia the other kids tried to turn the tables. It’s going to turn out that the family are all incredibly bad people. Then, much like Takopi: the end, no moral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Tokyo Demon Bride Story continues being it's own, weird, chaste, technically-a-traditional-harem-but-actually-not-really thing, but it continues having a lot of cute and funny moments, and basically all characters are extremely and endearingly dumb, so I'll continue reading it.

Ginka & Glüna: Despite really wanting to, I'm not sure I enjoyed the series since like second or third chapter, so I guess it's time to finally give up.

No other new series really caught my eye, so I guess that's it. :shrug:

(not counting Marriagetoxin, because of it's Tuesday update schedule. Marriagetoxin is great and more people should talk about it).

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 27, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Marriagetoxin.

That said,

Mashle was a cool waste of time.

Sakamoto is so dang visceral. It’s amazing.

Undead unluck how did this series suddenly turn out this good. It’s amazing. That tetsuzanko was epic. Good to see her kick rear end.
Though, why exactly does she like shen?

I haven’t checked out the others yet.

MARRIAGE TOXIN

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Undead Unluck
Fully Sick.
:hai:

What is presumably the final arc of UU is doing an insanely good job of paying off all the setup.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I’m liking the paranoid atmosphere of Cipher Academy. We get the standard assertion that the main character is “special”...from a character who more or less admits that what she really means by that is that he’s easy to manipulate. Of course Ayashimon had a superficially similar dynamic, but there it always felt clear that the two leads would end up on the same side in the end; this feels a lot more uncertain.

Making cryptocurrency the MacGuffin aged somewhat badly even before the manga began; somehow I suspect the author outlined the story before the FTX crash. That said, I don’t think this story is pro-cryptocurrency, since it posits that the only stable cryptocurrency would be one backed by death and destruction.

Edit: Though of course actual cryptocurrency is also powered by death and destruction, albeit involving climate change and organized crime rather than the military-industrial complex, and is unstable anyway.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 27, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I have to wonder: what percentage of the manga has Mash been unconscious now? Surely it's at least 30%

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i assume mash has been stalling for time like this because the announcement its getting an anime and that it the author considered it nearly done happened at the same time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Only about 22% but it feels longer.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm wondering if the elevator pitch of Undead Unluck included the idea "heroine spends Part 2 speedrunning the plot of Part 1" because it rules so hard

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Alright so I think I’ve got what’s happening in Ichinose Family the main kid is/was a huge bully and with his amnesia the other kids tried to turn the tables. It’s going to turn out that the family are all incredibly bad people. Then, much like Takopi: the end, no moral

I'm assuming that the hook is going to be "Punching bags find the ability to change themselves through the power of forgetting how sad they were".

Like an Isekai but with head trauma instead of a truck.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this week's sakamoto is basically the first 3/4's of kung fu hustle compressed into a single chapter

i'd love for this to get an anime but it'd need a chainsawman-size budget to do the action justice

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: drat the manga tackling misogyny now. Urara is just exudes presence, really makes me hyped to see what her act is gonna be like.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I got loving caught up in her spell too, I was wondering where she got the pipe that she was smoking out of, but she didn't actually have one, it's just an image that shows just how vivid her act feels. drat, I've been bamboozled by a manga, she's the real deal.

Elusive Samurai: Man that one dude is super motivated when it comes to killing enemy soldiers. I love the dude, he's so loving bloodthirsty.

G&G: Man I love the way the Guild looks, those loving planets!!!!!!! One's even a face! Also Jesus that magician in that last page looks creepy as gently caress. Can't wait to see how the gang gets outted as not being merchants.

Ichinose: Uh. I might drop this.

Mashle: It's amazing how every time someone brings out their Thirds they end up immediately getting stomped. So you just waste two pages on some nice art that immediately gets no-sold the next page. Wow!

Me & Roboco: Pretty enjoyable chapter, I just enjoy the small gags like the third Roboco appearing out of nowhere or Roboco's sister getting salty that she's hasn't had screentime for over 2 years.

Sakamoto Days: Holy poo poo the fight choreography. Also holy poo poo the Order are fuckin' monsters.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 28, 2022

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I imagine Ichinose Family was pitched as a lighter version of Takopi, and it is so far, but it still doesn't really feel like it's meant to be in this magazine.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Akane-banashi: drat the manga tackling misogyny now. Urara is just exudes presence, really makes me hyped to see what her act is gonna be like.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I got loving caught up in her spell too, I was wondering where she got the pipe that she was smoking out of, but she didn't actually have one, it's just an image that shows just how vivid her act feels. drat, I've been bamboozled by a manga, she's the real deal.

Ceci n'est pas une pipe!

Cipher Academy is the only one of the newest five series (the others being Tokyo Demon Bride, Ginka and Gluna, Ichinose Family, and Ichigoki's Under Control) that I like much. That said, I have decently high hopes for Jinzō Ningen 100, since it won the Golden Future Cup.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Me & Roboco crowdfunding campaign is real and one of the rewards is to be be involved in a manga planning meeting as well as getting an appearance in the manga itself.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Honestly she looks like she stepped right out of JJK, she even has a freaking Domain Expansion move.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ichigoki's Under Control - Oof. I get they were trying to go for the scatterbrained genius character archetype but Misao's too selfish for that. Getting her best friend killed by trying to make him get some nuts and then turning him into a cyborg without getting his consent, knowing he won't be mad at her, pushes her into unlikable territory.

Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins - Dropping this. Feels like the author's doing a speedrun of what they did in Takopi, where they turned the bullied and abused kid into a complete rear end in a top hat.

Cipher Academy - Not sure what to make of this. There's a bunch of little things in the first chapter (all the ideology censored 'gags', the 'people from the economic bubbles days were incredible' comment, having a token boy in each class, the grand prize everyone wants being loving cryptocurrency of all things) that by themselves are innocuous, but they add up to something that feels... off. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Mashle - I've been reading this out of inertia but I'm done with this series. If the story had any guts, it would've had Ryoh finish off Wizard-Toguro, not to mention have the reason for the keys being hard to turn was because they were trying to turn it the wrong way.

PPPPPP - Uhhh, is this gearing up to pinning all of the dad's abuse and actions on this mysterious patron he got in this flashback? In any case, the series has been a pleasant surprise with how well it handles the mindset of the characters and how they got to be who they are. Having the mom die without a reconciliation with Fanta, who still loved her but never forgave her for the abandonment, isn't something you normally see tackled in Shonen Jump.

Blue Box - Ayame does a good job as a character meant to shake things up for others. Really liked that moment of Ayame asking 'is that someone you like so captivating?' and Taiki being bewildered by it. Because, yeah, it really is an unfair question that only serves to put down the other party.

MHA - Man, the protagonists just can't get a W, huh? I know it's gonna gear up to them getting a comeback soon, but the wait for it is excruciating. Bet this is something that reads better once all the chapters are out in a collected volume.

Akane-Banashi - I made a guess that the series was gonna tackle the issues of the rakugo world and I'm glad these past chapters have been getting into it. While Urara's struggles in the rakugo world aren't the same as Akane's, she's set up to be this cool role model. The best outcome is that Urara takes her on as a pupil to teach Akane new stories, but more than likely is that Akane's gonna pick up something from this performance to help her improve.

Monster #8 - Mina's a character that's been weirdly handled. On paper, she's a really cool character who's supposed to be the defense force's ace in the hole. In practice, she's practically a macguffin for Kafka to idolize and strive for. She barely had any screentime to show what she's like as a person, in a series that (imo) wasn't that good at establishing its characters to begin with. The sniper railgun is great at making this action setpiece but I don't think it lends itself well for an actual fight sequence.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Undead unluck how did this series suddenly turn out this good. It’s amazing. That tetsuzanko was epic. Good to see her kick rear end.

I think UU is the biggest surprise I've ever had in a series not getting cancelled and ending up good. Usually I have a good sense for whether series will end up getting cancelled, and the first chapters of UU set off that sense, but apparently it was a false positive.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Cipher Academy - Not sure what to make of this. There's a bunch of little things in the first chapter (all the ideology censored 'gags', the 'people from the economic bubbles days were incredible' comment, having a token boy in each class, the grand prize everyone wants being loving cryptocurrency of all things) that by themselves are innocuous, but they add up to something that feels... off. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Most of those elements come across as left-ish satire to me.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Great chapter from High School Family. Just excellent heightening for each conference ending with the cat. So stupid but funny.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
same

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double really hitting some Ajin vibes in the combat. MC using his healing factor to it's best advantage and scoring a decisive blow. gently caress this old man I thought he was a cool grandpa just trying to cure his Alzheimer's and willing to shack up with a shady dude to accomplish that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
getting the power to instantly and effortlessly murder people so that they simply disappear with no evidence would gently caress someone up. he was likely never a great person, but now he can act on those vague impulses.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

getting the power to instantly and effortlessly murder people so that they simply disappear with no evidence would gently caress someone up. he was likely never a great person, but now he can act on those vague impulses.

Is Skeleton Double worth getting back into? I fell off due to lack of time...I guess

Show Ha Shoten is far more depressing with the backstories than it should be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the interpersonal conflict that accompanies the confusing super power battles is pretty good. i don't really get how the powers work, though!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mash alert :siren:
For the people who checked out, Mash had rejoined the series called Mashle.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I'm still checked out, that was the most generic "Goku arrived" I've seen in a long time.

A chapter I did enjoy though as Sakamoto Days, action was great as always, and I love the crazy goth assassin.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

I'm still checked out, that was the most generic "Goku arrived" I've seen in a long time.

A chapter I did enjoy though as Sakamoto Days, action was great as always, and I love the crazy goth assassin.

While I did enjoy Mash.

Sakamoto blew it out of the water. That creepy eye, the inevitable death, the action. :perfect:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new series, Fabricant 100, has an okay premise but I assume they're going to have to undercut the whole "higher number is stronger and second character has the highest number" plot point pretty quickly.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The new series, Fabricant 100, has an okay premise but I assume they're going to have to undercut the whole "higher number is stronger and second character has the highest number" plot point pretty quickly.

I had to stop and remember where I've read this premise before and it was the frankenstein's monster series by the Rorouni Kenshin dude.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Elusive Samurai: Ahahahaha what the gently caress is going on with this freak?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fabricant seems more like a one shot with no continuation than the first chapter of a series.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
As soon as I read the premise, I had to check it wasn't by the 'Witch's cursed paintings' author.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fabricant seems more like a one shot with no continuation than the first chapter of a series.

Its pretty much the oneshot but with some design and flow changes:
-Fabricant lady was a Dimitrescu/scary tall lady with a big hat type design, and was changed to be softer featured
-Protag was about the same age but looked older.
-More modern setting whereas this one seems to be going for an anachronistic past.
-first case was two sisters attacked on a car ride.
-not as much time spent on the MC's self-sacrificial motivations.

and thats about it: otherwise it stuck pretty close to the original oneshot, even in pacing and key panels.

compare:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 4, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jesus CHRIST sakamoto is so GOD drat GOOD

and ichinose might have actually slammed the brakes on the bullying schtick? it's enough to keep me reading to the next chapter at least

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm glad the translator for Ichigoki's Under Control is having as much fun as I am reading it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ginka's finally done something interesting, in the form of a hosed up psycho magician. "without a head and arms, you'd be more beautiful still" is a great line.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Cipher Academy is getting even tenser! Does anyone have any ideas about what the key to solving the star puzzle might be? The series is falling back on the non-battle battle manga cliche where all high school students are basically compulsive gamblers, but it mostly works here because the stakes emerge fairly organically from the characterization.

I wonder if the smart-glasses are the professor's grandchild in a metaphorical sense, or if they literally incorporate the consciousness of the professor's dead grandson, like in Super Smartphone.

Incidentally, I suspect actual training in code-breaking doesn't have much to do with the kind of Games-magazine-style puzzles the series revolves around, but I can suspend my disbelief because it's more entertaining this way.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I actually like Fabricant 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I think it could be pretty nicely handled by the weaker fabricants having picked up upgrades from regular humans.

Potentially neat, will check it out every now and then.