Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
You can't convince me a guy with Tyson Fury's size and stupid agility given that size wouldn't crush in any era. Heavyweight was bad for a long time, but now its eh.

Unrelated but watch when then yesteryear heavyweight champion Michael Moorer fought a 45 year old George Foreman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEd-P0VREME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Tyson Fury would have been a problem for every heavyweight ever. He's an all time great. The point isn't that there are no great fighters today, it's that the average quality of skills have gone down.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tangy Zizzle posted:

in the podcast they were pretty specific about the boxer pretty much stepping out of a time machine after prepping for an old-timey fight into the ring against a modern fighter. No talk about 'what if this guy's natural talent was given the benefit of modern science etc etc'

Did they address that someone like Muhammad Ali is sort of "figured out" at this point? Just go do what (Eddie Futch?) had Ken Norton do?

Personally I'd like to put Jack Dempsey in a pre UFC 1 Vale Tudo match.

Even less boxing related but Benny Urquidez was an all time GOAT kick boxer who also knew some Judo and Wrestling, but he was in his 40s and retired by the time UFC 1 happened.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2022

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Tank Davis - Ryan Garcia has been confirmed for this Spring provided Davis win a planned tuneup in January. Joint PPV by Showtime and DAZN.

One of the top 3 fights in the sport by far.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

Tank Davis - Ryan Garcia has been confirmed for this Spring provided Davis win a planned tuneup in January. Joint PPV by Showtime and DAZN.

One of the top 3 fights in the sport by far.

Yeah so excited for this fight. The first half of 2023 is gonna be awesome

https://twitter.com/alandawsonsport/status/1593349772567465984?s=46&t=_4YAFFcE9LmZixtkpN6wuQ

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Hopefully Tank makes weight.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Hopefully Tank makes weight.

It’s at catchweight iirc

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
It’s supposedly at 136, which should be more of an issue for Ryan to make than Tank at this point in their careers.

Pulling for Garcia in this one. Tank is a piece of poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Freudian slippers posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but he's not the only one making the argument. Boxing was for a very long time one of the absolute best ways for athletic, but underprivileged youngsters to make money. Being someone in boxing used to be huge. Other sports have caught up and surpassed boxing in later years with regards to money and prestige, leading to a decline in the available talent pool and subsequent decline in coaching resources etc. Now, I grant that today's knowledge of human physiology and especially nutrition is a big advantage for modern boxers, but the talent pool and technique may well belong to the old timers.

the drugs are way better now than they ever were too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Freudian slippers posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but he's not the only one making the argument. Boxing was for a very long time one of the absolute best ways for athletic, but underprivileged youngsters to make money. Being someone in boxing used to be huge. Other sports have caught up and surpassed boxing in later years with regards to money and prestige, leading to a decline in the available talent pool and subsequent decline in coaching resources etc. Now, I grant that today's knowledge of human physiology and especially nutrition is a big advantage for modern boxers, but the talent pool and technique may well belong to the old timers.

This may be true in the US, but the population has almost doubled since 1960, and increased participation from places like the former USSR, Latin America, and east Asia makes up any difference and then some

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
How have I only just learned about this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlQqSCzRrA

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well now that the US beat England 0-0 we just need Jermaine Franklin to catch Dillian Whyte with an uppercut to complete the :patriot: weekend.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

LLCoolJD posted:

How have I only just learned about this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlQqSCzRrA

Whoa, pro click
Just need to watch starting at 1:35
Crazy

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Dubois/Lerena looked so fixed, good God.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Any predictions on how many times Fury retires / unretired / retires again in the post fight interview?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ten seconds left in round 10 and the ref had seen enough with Chisora, so no surprises in the outcome I guess

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Absolute snooze fest.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Tonight was just an older, less athletic version of Fury-Chisora II.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Dubois was essentially exposed as “not elite”. Not sure who he fights next, but his ceiling is quite a bit lower than expected. Hard to favour him over really anyone in the top 10.

2023 could give us Fury/Usyk, Spence/Crawford, and Bivol/Beterbiev… or none of those fights. If we could get even one of them, I would take that.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Dubois was essentially exposed as “not elite”. Not sure who he fights next, but his ceiling is quite a bit lower than expected. Hard to favour him over really anyone in the top 10.

yeah his legs went out from under him immediately and even when he went for the beatdown he looked incredible unsteady just throwing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s hard for me to follow boxing nowadays but I always get hooked when Fury is fighting. The dude is so compelling to follow. Just feels like that sort of unique generational talent (man that term sure is getting used a lot lately) that you just have to see. The way he fights, his personal ups and downs, his charisma. poo poo’s thrilling. Something about him is this intense expression of what humans are and that’s one of my favorite things that sports as a whole can offer. I don’t have anything to add just felt like popping in and saying something.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s hard for me to follow boxing nowadays but I always get hooked when Fury is fighting. The dude is so compelling to follow. Just feels like that sort of unique generational talent (man that term sure is getting used a lot lately) that you just have to see. The way he fights, his personal ups and downs, his charisma. poo poo’s thrilling. Something about him is this intense expression of what humans are and that’s one of my favorite things that sports as a whole can offer. I don’t have anything to add just felt like popping in and saying something.

He’s a dickhead poo poo house

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s hard for me to follow boxing nowadays but I always get hooked when Fury is fighting. The dude is so compelling to follow.

Love him or hate him, his career is coming to an end soon. I think he peaked physically between Klitschko and Wilder II. But if he can top Usyk and then Joyce it's going to be hard to sell him short.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
By Fury’s own admissions lately, it sounds like he’s going to be fighting well into the foreseeable future, so I don’t think his career is ending anytime soon. Hell, his latest “retirement” wasn’t even official, as he never really retired or gave up his belt.

He’s only 34, and I think there’s a very good chance we see him active in the sport into his 40s. Him being 6’8 270 will also allow him to fight more effectively at that age than most.

Anyway, fights against Usyk, Joyce, Joshua, and even Wilder 4 are all likely to occur in my opinion.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I’d like to see him fight Usyk, Joyce, Joshua, Ruiz, and Ngannou in any order. so hopefully he has 5ish fights in him at least.

i think Joyce is going to be the one to beat him, it only because “Gypsy King dethroned by Joe Joyce” is a headline that could have been written anytime in the last 40 years and it would be very funny that it would this Joe Joyce. i’m sure Tyson is related to the other one somehow

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't want to see Ngannou fight Fury. Maybe some random plodding top 20 heavyweight. When he loses it'll be slightly more embarrassing.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The ref let Fury grapple constantly last night. I assume Usyk's camp will push for a ref that won't let it turn into that.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2022/12/06/beloved-reno-icon-mills-lane-dies-at-age-85/69705520007/

Mills Lane has passed away at age 85. What a great fixture of boxing. R.I.P.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no real thread for Chess Boxing on PSP nor should it really get its own thread but there was apparently an event on December 11th with a bunch of YouTubers, Twitch Streamers, etc. doing Chess Boxing and it was stupid and fun and is worth sharing if you wanna watch nerds have to box then play chess.

The undercard had Smash Bros. Boxing which is the same but with Super Smash Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg9CH4KlKMc

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Mekchu posted:

There's no real thread for Chess Boxing on PSP nor should it really get its own thread but there was apparently an event on December 11th with a bunch of YouTubers, Twitch Streamers, etc. doing Chess Boxing and it was stupid and fun and is worth sharing if you wanna watch nerds have to box then play chess.

The undercard had Smash Bros. Boxing which is the same but with Super Smash Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg9CH4KlKMc

Andrea Botez apparently got robbed which upsets me greatly.

Almost as much as Sandor Martin (sort of, kind of) getting robbed by Teofimo Lopez. At least Lopez is having a mental breakdown to make me feel a little better

https://twitter.com/RBRBoxing/status/1601813794736328704

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

inoue is such a beast. Wish they would get him some PPV money cause he deserves it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

English guy sucked poo poo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Watching Inoue's fight as I was super busy with work. Butler not only couldn't get anything going, it didn't look like he was even trying to get anything going, given how defensive he was. I get not wanting to engage with a guy who throws like Inoue does, but god drat, Inoue just putting his arms out like :cmon: in round 7 had me laughing

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Inoue is moving up to 122 next, but I also heard that the main guy at 122, Stephen Fulton, might move up to 126 as his next move. There's still Murodjon Akhmadaliev at 122 for Inoue, which would be an interesting fight, but despite having two belts, Akhmadaliev isn't the name (or likely talent) that Fulton is. Inoue is almost 30, and despite probably being the best fighter in the world, he's still completely unknown to anyone but hardcore boxing fans. Would be a shame if he spent his whole career in obscurity. Unfortunately, there aren't really any big names or fights at 126 or 130 either. Hopefully someone emerges to challenge him while he's still in his prime.

On Teofimo: he seems kind of done to me, at least at the elite, pound for pound consideration level. Hard to believe at only 25 years old, but his Lomachenko performance (and Richard Commey, for that matter), compared to what has come after, has been almost impossible to reconcile. He'd be the underdog against at least Josh Taylor, Regis Prograis, Jose Ramirez. Can he beat Jack Catterall, Jose Zepeda, or Albert Puello? Can't say that either, definitively. Hard to say really what is wrong here. He's still super young and has the size (5'8) for the 140 pound division. Maybe his infamously chaotic personal life is catching up to him.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

After watching Frank Martin demolish Michel Rivera, I'm not sure if anyone would want to take a fight with him

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Teo can still make some noise but I think he pretty much needs to find somebody other than his dad to train him. And also maybe he should cut off his dad entirely (easier for me to say that of course)

That guy is seriously a lunatic though, his corner advice sucks and they don’t really do anything in the way of adjustments. Teo is an incredible athlete but he needs a change of scenery.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

Teo can still make some noise but I think he pretty much needs to find somebody other than his dad to train him. And also maybe he should cut off his dad entirely (easier for me to say that of course)

That guy is seriously a lunatic though, his corner advice sucks and they don’t really do anything in the way of adjustments. Teo is an incredible athlete but he needs a change of scenery.

I 100% agree. I hope in a few years teofimo has got hit poo poo sorted under a new trainer, and we’re not looking back going “what if?”

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
5 biggest fights in boxing in 2023 as I see it:

1. Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk: Biggest fight in boxing. Number one vs number two in the division, both undefeated, for all the belts, and would crown the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis over 20 years ago. Chances it happens in 2023: 4/5. I think there's just too much money at stake for it not to happen, unfortunately it will be occurring in the Middle East.

2. Terence Crawford vs Errol Spence: Two undefeated consensus top 5 P4P fighters for all the belts and undisputed status, as well as likely first ballot Hall of Fame status. 2023 is the absolute drop dead date before this fight is past its sell-by date. Chances it happens in 2023: 2/5. Starting to get seriously pessimistic about this one. Spence apparently has injuries from the most recent car accident he was in, and has talked about moving to 154 sooner rather than later. Talks failed earlier this year. My only optimism is that their options at 147 are for less money and equal risk (Ennis, Ortiz), and there are no big money fights at 154 outside of Jermell Charlo.

3. Dmitry Bivol vs Artur Beterbiev: Two undefeated consensus top 10 P4P fighters where 2023 is also probably the drop dead date due to Beterbiev's advanced age (38 in January). Chances it happens: 4/5. The relative dearth of options at 175 make me think they need each-other to get paydays. The potential monkey wrenches are if either lose their immediate next fights, and if Canelo wants a 2023 rematch with Bivol.

4. Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua: Ostensibly for the 3rd place "bronze medal" (so far) of the current heavyweight era. Both guys have big power and it's almost impossible to see this going the distance. Chances it happens: 3/5. Neither fighter really needs it, and have easier alternatives available to them, but this is the biggest money and legacy realistic fight that either could make.

5. Ryan Garcia vs Gervonta Davis: Two of the biggest names in boxing, despite neither being on any P4P lists. Giving me de la Hoya vs Trinidad vibes. Hopefully the outcome is better. Chances it happens in 2023: 5/5 (Supposedly signed. Tank still needs to get past his tuneup fight in January to prevent any derails.)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I would love those fights. I really don't see Hearn letting AJ fight Wilder. If he fights Wilder, Joyce, or Fury I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Davis vs Garcia seems good on the promotional side, but Davis still hasn’t completely cleared his legal issues, so I’m not quite 5/5 on that