Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

I am deeply troubled that EoE is the first hit when you search netflix for the letter E

i think it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It’s one of the best parts of Eva as a series. After so many years of lore theorizing, video game text file analysis and what have you, Evangelion is confusing to Eva fans again. You feel like Shinji. poo poo is hosed up, the Bible aliens are going crazy and everyone says it’s all your fault but you don’t know why. It’s as Evangelion as Evangelion can get.

this, imo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

You know, this is bringing up the obvious, but it is important how, in such a Shinji focused series, we get a Mari focused action scene at the start of 2, 3, and 4.

It emphasizes her as someone with her own deal in a way that the other characters don't get, making her relationship with Shinji more equal.

This isn't Shinji and someone in Shinji's shadow. This is two people with their own lives coming together to run into a future free of what held them in the past.

On the one hand, I like the symbolism of Mari being the Final Girl, purely because of what she represents for Shinji: a new direction and a new beginning free of the toxic and destructive loop he'd found himself caught in, both of his own and others' making. But on the other hand it's really weird and gross to remember that she's like a 50 year old woman stuck in a 14 year old's body, but I guess that doesn't really matter anymore after Shinji remade the world without Evas, so maybe she's not anymore?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 5, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

On the one hand, I like the symbolism of Mari being the Final Girl, purely because of what she represents for Shinji: a new direction and a new beginning free of the toxic and destructive loop he'd found himself caught in, both of his own and others' making. But on the other hand it's really weird and gross to remember that she's like a 50 year old woman stuck in a 14 year old's body, but I guess that doesn't really matter anymore after Shinji remade the world without Evas, so maybe she's not anymore?

I mean, Shinji also gains the memory of all the past versions of the franchise totaling hundreds, maybe thousands of years in Shin, so basically it's all a mess when trying to figure out anything in that department.

They're both adults at the end when they head off together, and that's probably as good as you're going to get.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

shame on an IGA posted:

I am deeply troubled that EoE is the first hit when you search netflix for the letter E

Try it from an Incognito window - your browsing history is influencing the results.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

modern hr would not be happy with his interaction with female employees though. he's definitely among the best adjusted in the series (maybe fuyutsuki is up there, at least when it comes to self awareness?), but i get why some people find him problematic, even if it sometimes gets overstated
Fuyutsuki may be self aware, but he seems to have basically let Gendo bully him into all of this poo poo, and he also spends his golden years sitting in a goddamn empty base playing chess with himself. (It was kind of sad that his VA's aging matched the character's, if also appropriate.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Fuyutski sucks poo poo almost as bad as Gendo

Rebuild kinda helped me reach thar point with him. Dude, you suck and just because you're not Gendo doesn't mean you shouldn't be thrown into a dumpster with him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

He's not even gonna score!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Rebuild Asuka Shikinami being very explicitly a separate entity from series Asuka Sohryu makes me wonder who the Asuka in the ending is meant to be.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fututeuki strikes me as the ultimate anti-Shinji. Did we do the right thing? How should I know but left unsaid is "at least we did something"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Shiroc posted:

Rebuild Asuka Shikinami being very explicitly a separate entity from series Asuka Sohryu makes me wonder who the Asuka in the ending is meant to be.

Imo the beach scene to me is the implication he restored and saved the original Asuka not the clone copy we saw throughout Rebuild. But also :iiam:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thrice Ending Asuka is an Asuka without the compulsive need to excel, psychological baggage of momdead, or the sense that her worth is tied to being the wunderkind pilot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Thrice Ending Asuka is an Asuka without the compulsive need to excel, psychological baggage of momdead, or the sense that her worth is tied to being the wunderkind pilot.

Also, she's living at Ken's place at the end. Which is much more a Shikinami thing.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
seeing Thrice Upon a Time on the big screen really drove home the cool "subversion of the medium" tricks they pull at the end

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was fairly rapt there towards the end, yeah. empty theater + big screen is good poo poo. I do wish they had a bit more subwoofer for the sound, but i get it, you can only run so many watts before you rattle concrete apart

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

i was fairly rapt there towards the end, yeah. empty theater + big screen is good poo poo. I do wish they had a bit more subwoofer for the sound, but i get it, you can only run so many watts before you rattle concrete apart
i wish they'd stop projecting a 1080p rip onto a big screen for all the fantom events anime showings, but whatever i'll keep drinking that garbage

at least they're subbed, like kame-sama intended

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh my god is that what it is

i was about to crack a joke asking "did they get this off nyaa or something" when it started

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

seeing Thrice Upon a Time on the big screen really drove home the cool "subversion of the medium" tricks they pull at the end

I can only imagine what it would have been like watching End of Evangelion in a theatre and then getting to the scene where it just shows footage of an empty theatre from the POV of the movie screen so it would look sort of like a mirror image looking back at you, only you're not in the reflection. That would have been such a great head trip to experience during that whole "want to see a world without you in it?" sequence.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

oh my god is that what it is

i was about to crack a joke asking "did they get this off nyaa or something" when it started
please, nyaa has a 4k rip

nine-gear crow posted:

I can only imagine what it would have been like watching End of Evangelion in a theatre and then getting to the scene where it just shows footage of an empty theatre from the POV of the movie screen so it would look sort of like a mirror image looking back at you, only you're not in the reflection.
don’t forget the life-size uniqlo rogue’s gallery of Rude Japanese Teens flipping you the bird

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

i wish they'd stop projecting a 1080p rip onto a big screen for all the fantom events anime showings, but whatever i'll keep drinking that garbage

at least they're subbed, like kame-sama intended

It looked way worse than any fathom events anime thing I've seen in recent years, at a few points I was wondering if my contacts were acting up but no it really was just that fuzzy.

No regrets though, even seeing it in a compromised form on the big screen was still very much worth it!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Srice posted:

It looked way worse than any fathom events anime thing I've seen in recent years, at a few points I was wondering if my contacts were acting up but no it really was just that fuzzy.
i see all these things (Gundam NT, CCA, Macross Plus, both Macross Frontier movies, Castle of Cagliostro like four times) and they all look pretty bad - much worse than the "regular" movies i see at the same theater. i was at CCA early and when the projection started up, the on-screen display diagnostic clearly said "1080p 5.1 Dolby Surround"

i'm so hosed up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Managed to get to the screening Sunday. Theater was pretty much sold out, and much quieter than most anime movies I've been to.

Still an amazing movie, and it was nice to have a no-bullshit screening, without having to spend half an hour on trailers. There was even a short before the movie.

Unfortunate thing was the sound got a little crackly for some of the Gendo scenes for some reason, but overall, I had a great time.

(Funny thing was, at least one person there had this as his absolute first exposure to Evangelion, beyond the meme of Shinji in the chair. Seemed to have gone over pretty well despite that.)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like how the preview at the end of 2.22 is all stuff from the part of the story they skipped over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shiroc posted:

I like how the preview at the end of 2.22 is all stuff from the part of the story they skipped over.

And it weirdly sounds like it would actually be an incredible film if they did it in the exact same style they did 2.22 in.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gendo just cant stop

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

heiroglyphics headband?

https://twitter.com/evangelion_co/status/1613732826683437058

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the phrase "end of evangelion" was the biggest lie in anime industry

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

goblin week posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion 0.1: End of (an) Evangelion

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Does anyone know what that is? Maybe an extended cut of Thrice Upon a Time?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SUNKOS posted:

Does anyone know what that is? Maybe an extended cut of Thrice Upon a Time?

4k/Blu/DVD release with special packaging and I guess some added animation scenes

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It's a new separate short being included with the Thrice Upon a Time set called "Evangelion: 3.0 (-46h)"

Something 46 hours before the events of 3.0 I guess?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There was a bonus manga during Shins release called Q -120 mins, which was a little thing set 2 hours before Q. This is Q -46 hours, so two days before that, but the material here seems to be covering at least some post-2.0 to very early timeskip stuff including the actual Third Impact and the unseen Eva-02 variant printed on a lantern last summer. The runtime for Shin is unchanged but there might be minor visual/audio/colour grading tweaks, and there's no runtime for this thing, it could be a few minutes to a 20-40 min OVA length thing.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Shiroc posted:

It would be interesting to see the missing middle movie but it is kinda fitting to have the audience completely missing these huge events along with Shinji.

Story goes Anno doesn't want to do any Eva without Shinji, which is perfectly understood by many.

It's the perfect opportunity for a crew without Anno to run a whole series in that gap, but gainax is basically dead isn't it?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I bought a couple of production genga that I thought the people in this thread would appreciate:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Good post/av combo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ranzear posted:

It's the perfect opportunity for a crew without Anno to run a whole series in that gap, but gainax is basically dead isn't it?

As far as I'm aware the rights for evangelion were entirely bought out from gainax's zombified corpse some time before Anno's infamous open letter in 2019 calling them out for how hard they'd gone to poo poo.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Shiroc posted:

I bought a couple of production genga that I thought the people in this thread would appreciate:

you thought right

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

goblin week posted:

The end of evangelion just means the beginning of a new Evangelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Archer666 posted:

The end of evangelion just means the beginning of a new Evangelion.

The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.