Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Guardian employs the most thin-skinned losers of any UK paper so that tracks tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/rickburin/status/1597509289501155328

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Qatar owns Al Jazeera, which regularly shits on the British establishment's awfulness.

Which is a good thing because the British media never will.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

gonadic io posted:

gov removed a few provisions from the online safety bill that would let them label legal content as harmful and ban it without making any laws, guardian runs with:

I take it you haven't listened to the scathing speech by Keith Starmer then - scathing in what way you might ask? Well it's keith, sooo, yeah, security state is the only thing he passionately cares about.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
the closest I have come to ever hear him say anything out loud is when the ian duncan smiths twitter features him

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That loving happened! When the UN opened in New York and a bunch of foreign dignitaries showed up and found out they weren't allowed in a lot of hotels. Or when they tried to tour a bit of the US and found out that a lot of gas stations wouldn't serve them. It was a national embarrassment!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

gonadic io posted:

England and Wales now minority Christian countries, census reveals

Data shows Leicester and Birmingham have become UK’s first ‘minority majority’ cities in new age of ‘super-diversity’

Meanwhile, 37.2% of people – 22.2 million – declared they had “no religion”, the second most common response after Christian. It means that over the past 20 years the proportion of people reporting no religion has soared from 14.8%.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/29/leicester-and-birmingham-are-uk-first-minority-majority-cities-census-reveals
gonna be a lot of racist tears about this one

wasn't there a significant distortion of the "no religion" figure in the last two censuses because of people who joked that they were "Jedi" adherents

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zoran posted:

Wasn’t he an avowed Nazi

Along with the vast majority of the UK's upper-class.

A nice little chap who could crush the unions, enforce tradition, and keep everyone in their place? AND he's racist? Jolly good!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/peter_pindar/status/1598027331414917121

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

starmer is incredibly of these times its true

he might just be the small f fascist britain is being pushed towards

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i mean sure he's a thatcherite tory and that's what britain wants, but they have tories at home

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/Rob_Merrick/status/1599322515490340866?s=19

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
bit rich coming from the chair of the party who’ve been having partnerships with Russian oligarchy for years before this war

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Clap for the Commie Nurses at 8pm

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Of all the ville repugnant horseshit these utter bottom feeding cunts have come out with, this one is pissing me off more than most.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Putin: Oh no there is a mid-wife in Leicester who has to go to a foodbank, call the invasion off!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Reminds me of a historical piece about how British people were advised to save water by not using it to brush their teeth during ww2, and Paul Merton did a great impression of an old timey radio announcer going "watch out, Hitler, we're eating our own toothpaste!"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jeeesus! How did he dribble that poo poo out of his mouth without someone nearby just decking him?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Old people should freeze to death in their homes to "send a message to Putin", a senior minister has said.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Has there been adequate food?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Jeeesus! How did he dribble that poo poo out of his mouth without someone nearby just decking him?

everyone nearby was smiling and nodding

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nonsense posted:

Has there been adequate food?

Well there's been stories of families having to choose between feeding their pet or their kids so I guess not

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I don't know anyone currently living in the UK but podcasters that I follow say that it's basically just getting worse and worse.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's right

:britain:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't know anyone currently living in the UK but podcasters that I follow say that it's basically just getting worse and worse.

:ssh: It's always been terrible, it's just the bottom portion keeps growing so more and more people are noticing.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
The Ukraine war is great, you can justify anything based on it AND it normalises nazis, wow! It just pwns commies like nurses and a neoliberal state that jacked in the ussr for Pizza Hut

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
https://news.sky.com/story/sir-keir-starmer-pledges-to-abolish-house-of-lords-in-first-term-as-prime-minister-12762032

Considering all of the rich media moguls and billionairre failsons this will gently caress over I am looking forward to the hysteria it's going to inspire.

After, the step after this is to become a constitutional republic.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dravs posted:

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-keir-starmer-pledges-to-abolish-house-of-lords-in-first-term-as-prime-minister-12762032

Considering all of the rich media moguls and billionairre failsons this will gently caress over I am looking forward to the hysteria it's going to inspire.

quote:

"What we're going to do after today is now consult on those recommendations, test them, and in particular, look at how can they be implemented."

Pledges seems like an overstatement

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Horseshoe theory posted:

:ssh: It's always been terrible, it's just the bottom portion keeps growing so more and more people are noticing.

Major employers like BT have started having work place food banks because hey, doing charity is a tax write-off and paying workers enough to put food on the table isn't.

Plus there's the whole NHS collapsing before our eyes after 40 years of intermittent underfunding (& that's me being generous, I'd argue it's not intermittent really) combined with the underfunding of social services. COVID completely was definitely the straw that broke the camels back but this was coming.

"In England, people are waiting longer than ever for ambulances to arrive. For the most critical calls, with a target response time of 7 minutes, patients in 2021/22 waited 8 and a half minutes on average – almost a fifth longer than they would have waited in 2018/19. For less urgent cases that still require an ambulance response, waits have more than doubled to an average of 3 hours."

Meanwhile even if you can get an ambulance you could be sat in it for hours outside the hospital because there's no beds. And that's not getting into how utterly inadequate mental health care is.

It's definitely worse. Like it was really bad in the before COVID times (& Brexit) but civil society is crumbling before our eyes now. And I think it was made worse by briefly having hope in the Corbyn years. Instead all you can do is LOL at how useful the government have been at trying to make things worse. And at Labour coming out and saying we need fewer foreign workers in the NHS when the whole service is understaffed because training to be a nurse has gotten really expensive since Tories took away the nursing student bursary.

Just lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Pledges seems like an overstatement

Love a good consultation and inquiry

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
are a lot of companies doing layoffs right now by chance

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah it's hard to overstate how quickly and startlingly things are starting to fall apart now

I was walking past a pub on my way home from work the other day and passed a guy on the floor. His mate (they were both posties, incidentally) was there yelling at some cops about how the guy on the floor has worked hard all his life, he's paid his taxes, how now that he finally needs the system it's failed him, how he's already had to wait two hours for an ambulance and still nothing, etc

And I just kinda realised, all of a sudden, that if you get sick or hurt yourself then you're on your own, for all intents and purposes. You might get lucky if you have cancer or a heart attack, but otherwise, consider yourself totally abandoned to your fate

I'd already experienced this because I tried to access NHS mental health services through 2016-2018, but still, it was properly chilling

It reminded me of that one quote about fascism, how it's just little changes here and there until suddenly, like waking from a dream, you wake up and everything is unrecognisable

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dravs posted:

My dude

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Tesco have food donation boxes outside the tills for their own staff lol

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

gonadic io posted:

Tesco have food donation boxes outside the tills for their own staff lol

when i was working in a factory in the US there was a barrel in the locker room where employees could donate/take canned goods of whatever they needed at the time

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Yeah but they're making it so you're entitled to ask for flexible working from day one, which will help make it easier to get second jobs. See the government has our backs.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dravs posted:

He's not going to do it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/WebDevLaw/status/1599823900967260161

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

that is how you get people to vote for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

seems like theyd implement it by blocking payments from UK bank accounts to VPN providers, which is definitely a big brain plan and not an easily avoided and stupid ploy to be seen doing something for the children!!