Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sube posted:

So she'scalled the famine devil but she's focused on right and wrong? Kind of weird naming. Good chapter though

"Famine" carries scales, sometimes said to be the scales of justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking forward to seeing Eternity Devil Fish Mode

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Popo posted:

Justice is a kind of conceptual, alomst divine, fairness heavil;y tied to morality.
Law is just an enforced code of conduct set by a State, presented as fair and just but often simply function to maintain a status quo that favours those setting the laws and thus rarely "Just" for most members of the society. The two ideas are often linked to obfuscate this.

I just meant are they different words in Japanese or is it a Control/Conquest situation

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t believe we get such a quality chapter on a break week. Hope Fujimoto’s doing okay.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Curious if it really is the Eternity Devil, or if this is some sort of power that Famine has, and Denji just thinks it's Eternity cuz it's his only frame of reference for what's happening

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Asa bro you got zero game lmao. What an incredibly funny start to the chapter

Also confirmation she is Famine rules. I’m curious the true nature of her power.

Also rematch maybe??? It could be famines borrowing power or doing something similar or a team up, who knows.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Do a "break week" by publishing a chapter with the same two pages of them walking down a hallway together, and it would be thought of as one of the best manga chapters ever

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

forgoing the hairpin? asa can’t even be half as charming as kobeni :colbert:

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Asa bro you got zero game lmao.

It'd work on me so it's a loss for Denji, really

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Denji, goddammit, I really wanted to read more about sea life facts.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scholtz posted:

Do a "break week" by publishing a chapter with the same two pages of them walking down a hallway together, and it would be thought of as one of the best manga chapters ever

Only if every two pages also has Asa giving a lecture on the aquarium life.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The identical panel layouts for the anemone starfish facts pages were incredible.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sube posted:

It'd work on me so it's a loss for Denji, really

Those sea animal facts are legit fascinating but I have to agree with Denji/Yoru, she was just reciting that poo poo rote and also could have done the penguins earlier since they’re freaking penguins.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJKMtRnD20

A gentle and sombre ED this week though an FX animator clearly got permission to show off. Excellent as usual.

The shot of the eyepatch falling into water befor eblood errupts evoking Makima's eyes is a genius image.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do love the insane amount of confidence Asa has at the beginning of this chapter.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
"Call me Fami"

:allears:

Really?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Asa femcel confirmed

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Supremezero posted:

"Call me Fami"

:allears:

Really?

Is there a double meaning in Japanese for this? Knowing the Asa/Yoru thing was night/day I imagine there’s gonna be something.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the aforementioned 30-armed species

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"No Denji you can't go look at the penguins. We need to look at these sea anemones for ten more minutes while I recite the entire Wikipedia article written about them from memory. I have come up with the perfect plan for enjoying this aquarium. Perfect, I say. Now stare at these starfish for 30 minutes. This is what dating is, and I am very good at it."

I love Asa :3:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
To be fair, If I memorized wikipedia articles about every single animal in the aquarium over a single evening, I would force people to listen to me recite them as well. :colbert:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love the panel of the gigantic speech bubble physically separating Asa and Denji. Such a great way to show how she's pushing him away with her words.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is there a double meaning in Japanese for this? Knowing the Asa/Yoru thing was night/day I imagine there’s gonna be something.

There might be something else, but "Fami" is often used to be short for "Family" - people often shorten "Family Mart" (a popular convenience store chain, think like 7/11) to "Fami Mart"

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Asa is pretty darn cute.

sube posted:

So she'scalled the famine devil but she's focused on right and wrong? Kind of weird naming. Good chapter though

Probably a Biblical reference to the passage generally taken to refer to famine:

quote:

And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I love that Asa sucks at dating, and that Denji bailed after hearing "You don't need to think". That's some character development.

If this is indeed the Eternity Devil, I think Denji will end up turned into a weapon...voluntarily. After last time, there's a big chance Eternity doesn't show himself to Denji, and getting weaponized can act as bait for Asa+Denji to kill him.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Thanks for signing up for Fish Facts!
You will now receive fun daily facts about FISH! <><

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love the panel of the gigantic speech bubble physically separating Asa and Denji. Such a great way to show how she's pushing him away with her words.

There might be something else, but "Fami" is often used to be short for "Family" - people often shorten "Family Mart" (a popular convenience store chain, think like 7/11) to "Fami Mart"

That would be a very interesting reference considering the famine Bible reference just posted. Considering the entry focuses on the price of food, making her a reference to a convenience store is very lol

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Probably a Biblical reference to the passage generally taken to refer to famine:
Yeah I had a brain fart, know about that passage. Will be curious what her relationship to Justice Devil is, since they seem similar if different (since Famine seems actually concerned with morals in some way?)

Feel sorry for the VA who has to read all of what Asa said in this chapter though, when / if the second part gets animated

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Came here to post this. Even without the repetition it's a great page.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Asa being a sperglord is hilarious. Fujmoto is amazing at humanizing awkward characters

sube
Nov 7, 2022

in Japan she just says she's kiga-chan, i.e. famine-chan. But famine has two syllables in English, so the nickname thing is possible. So seems this was not intended

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

does kiga not also have two syllables

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

sube posted:

in Japan she just says she's kiga-chan, i.e. famine-chan. But famine has two syllables in English, so the nickname thing is possible. So seems this was not intended

I looked it up and kiga apparently can also mean penguin so lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this manga is actually perfect

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rabid Boar posted:

I looked it up and kiga apparently can also mean penguin so lol

Lmao Japanese is so loving hard

企鵝 = kiga = penguin

飢餓 = kiga = starvation

Also the kanji for penguin legit “scheming” and “goose” which is hilarious

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
god asa rules

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Asa is so boring she summoned the eternity devil singlehandedly

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

sube posted:

Ah yeah I hadn't checked the original, so "Fami" was probably just the translator coming up with a short nickname.

Now imagining the alternate universe where she asked to be called "Fam"

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I don’t get Denji sometimes. He went on an ideal date and is just complaining

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

goblin week posted:

I don’t get Denji sometimes. He went on an ideal date and is just complaining

counterpoint: penguins ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh, obvious theory confirmed.

Kind of excited to see another reborn devil.