Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Taffer posted:

Read Stormlight already!!! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
New thread title?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Taffer posted:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Taffer posted:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just do it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Read the words, Kaladin.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Potato Salad posted:

Read the words, Kaladin.

Whoa, NSFVorinism

What's next, showing bare hands?!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
going to be contrary and say don't read Stormlight.

No reason, just wanted to be contrary for the fun of it.

read stormlight

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rosalie_A posted:

going to be contrary and say don't read Stormlight.

No reason, just wanted to be contrary for the fun of it.

read stormlight

She’s right. You don’t have to read it.

You could listen to the audiobook instead.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 6, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I actually have all of the stormlight novels/novellas on my audible account. I just need to download and take the 250 hour plunge.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Potato Salad posted:

Read the wordsglyphs, Kaladin.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm half way through TLM metal so far and am really enjoying it. Wayne's overall journey and development as a character is fantastic and easily steals the show, and his stress over his life being "over" because of how rich is was especially funny.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

He’s right. You don’t have to read it.

You could listen to the audiobook instead.

She, but otherwise this.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I also feel like The Lost Metal is Brandon at his most crass, and I say that in the most excited way. Our boy is growing up. I would never have expected Brandon to openly talk about bondage, how good of a lay someone was, or call someone a bag of dicks (this one made me almost choke while listening to the audio book). It loving rules.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mordiceius posted:

I also feel like The Lost Metal is Brandon at his most crass, and I say that in the most excited way. Our boy is growing up. I would never have expected Brandon to openly talk about bondage, how good of a lay someone was, or call someone a bag of dicks (this one made me almost choke while listening to the audio book). It loving rules.

Wayne and MeLaan was a fantastic pairing in every way.

mod edit: someone asked me to add spoiler tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 6, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:hmmyes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Don't know if you didn't catch it but this needs spoiler tags

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Mordiceius posted:

I actually have all of the stormlight novels/novellas on my audible account. I just need to download and take the 250 hour plunge.

Just do what I do and set the playback speed to 1.25x. it gets rid of those pesky breaths between the words

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Missed opportunity forher to call Wanye a fantastic bang instead

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Potato Salad posted:

Don't know if you didn't catch it but this needs spoiler tags

whoops

Tunicate posted:

Oh my god

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rosalie_A posted:

She, but otherwise this.

My apologies. I edited my post.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Absolutely read Stormlight, but I always note that I bounced off Way of Kings pretty hard -- I don't think it gets good until Words of Radiance. Too much worldbuilding before we have a reason to care, most of it clunky, and nobody's got their superpowers yet.

Tunicate posted:

Go to jail :mad:

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Mordiceius posted:

I think I mentioned this previously in the thread, but if you read in release order, you can VERY distinctly trace the man's comfort and maturity level around sex and romance. Elantris (written before he was married) dealt with the topic of sex with the exact grace, knowledge, and familiarity of a twelve-year-old. Warbreaker is a little more direct, has a couple of extremely tame and childish jokes, but still tiptoes. I think the same is true of alcohol - the way he writes the beer scene in TLM feels like a regular human person wrote it, instead of treating booze like a carefully-categorized, mysterious science-fiction substance like in Stormlight.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mordiceius posted:

Just quit your job - free time galore!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CapnAndy posted:

Absolutely read Stormlight, but I always note that I bounced off Way of Kings pretty hard -- I don't think it gets good until Words of Radiance. Too much worldbuilding before we have a reason to care, most of it clunky, and nobody's got their superpowers yet.

I liked way of kings because just because nobody had any superpowers, they where used so sparingly and things looked so serious and dangerous when powers where in play. The first book to me feels like the first book of WoT, much more serious in tone compared to the latter books

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

His Divine Shadow posted:

I liked way of kings because just because nobody had any superpowers, they where used so sparingly and things looked so serious and dangerous when powers where in play. The first book to me feels like the first book of WoT, much more serious in tone compared to the latter books

I get where you're coming from, although I think your choice of words is unfortunate. Stormlight Archive and Wheel of Time spoilers: So of course Way of Kings and Eye of the World are more grounded, "realistic". But saying the later books in WoT and SA are "less serious in tone", when we have Rand with one of the most gripping descents into madness I've ever read, or Kaladin and Shallan clearly suffering from tremendous psychological issues somehow doesn't sound right to me.

Of course there are extensive magic powers in a Sanderson book. But Roshar as an "alien" environment works so well, I wonder if there's some kind of... alternative history sci-fi? So it's set on another world where things are noticeably different from Earth, yet the society is "only" a medieval human society without any magic/supernatural powers?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

For me it's more like all those things you mentioned are lessened to some degree for me because of the increasingly fantastical context in which it occurs. The more it happens the more so it becomes. The books had a distinctly different feel in the start when magic was rare and hardly ever used except when things get really "serious".

The personal stuff you mentioned, I hadn't even though of it and I've read WoT three times (!). It's like, yes it's serious emotional stuff but it also happens in a very fantastical setting which a lot of the time feels like a mix of an anime and a TV show and it's like everything changes because of it that, in how I feel and interpret what I read in the books. It's hard to explain.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
By the way, I'm still waiting for the explanation what compounding copper actually does, Brandon!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Torrannor posted:

By the way, I'm still waiting for the explanation what compounding copper actually does, Brandon!

It’s interesting that he decided to just break compounding for everyone not named marsh

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Calidus posted:

It’s interesting that he decided to just break compounding for everyone not named marsh

That's not quite what he did.

Lost Metal spoilers:You can't make compounders through hemalurgy, but twinborn compounders can still be born the natural way, as evidenced by Miles.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

That's not quite what he did.

Lost Metal spoilers:You can't make compounders through hemalurgy, but twinborn compounders can still be born the natural way, as evidenced by Miles.

also what you can and can't do through hemalurgy might be radically changing in the very near future, given Autonomy's godmetal alone was enough to allow for significant rule deviations

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So of Sanderson's works, I've only read all of Mistborn and Stormlight. Even then, Mistborn Era 1 is significantly more brutal than Era 2. As I noted earlier, Era 1 does not shy away from rampant, unambiguous descriptions of violence and sexual violence.

Is this just a product of the times? Sanderson appealing to the Fantasy market of the 2000s and maybe stepping outside his comfort zone? Or are other works of his similarly non-sanitized in these areas?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lost Metal question at the end of Bands of Mourning, they mention the Set having Kandra. Did that just get dropped? Was there something I missed?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Lost Metal question at the end of Bands of Mourning, they mention the Set having Kandra. Did that just get dropped? Was there something I missed?

LM spoilers: I can't remember any Set Kandra in Lost Metal either. Could be a dropped plot point. Or they were superfluous after that point from the Set's/Autonomy's PoV? Although I'd be curious to know where they came from in the first place. Mistwraiths were still around, so did they drop some Trellium Blessings into them to create new Kandra?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

LM spoilers: I can't remember any Set Kandra in Lost Metal either. Could be a dropped plot point. Or they were superfluous after that point from the Set's/Autonomy's PoV? Although I'd be curious to know where they came from in the first place. Mistwraiths were still around, so did they drop some Trellium Blessings into them to create new Kandra?

For a while, I thought that the vice-governor was going to turn out to be a Kandra, or some of the senate, but that never materialized. It feels like a weird dropped plot point. Might be worth asking during one of his Q&A sessions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NikkolasKing posted:

So of Sanderson's works, I've only read all of Mistborn and Stormlight. Even then, Mistborn Era 1 is significantly more brutal than Era 2. As I noted earlier, Era 1 does not shy away from rampant, unambiguous descriptions of violence and sexual violence.

Is this just a product of the times? Sanderson appealing to the Fantasy market of the 2000s and maybe stepping outside his comfort zone? Or are other works of his similarly non-sanitized in these areas?

The first third of Warbreaker, uh,

My partner and I listened to it on audiobook ages ago. We felt physically ill because it's (this isn't spoilers, as a matter of fact it's a content warning) a protracted, extremely detailed walkthrough of the terrifying life of a young girl traded into an arranged marriage per a postwar treaty, all power imbalances, threats, and sexual expectations included. There's eventually a twist, but Jesus H. Christ this was an extremely uncomfortable book to listen to for HOURS.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I thought that was just a callback to Paalm

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I thought that was just a callback to Paalm

I thought it had to do with the end of that book, when Wax's uncle was blown up by someone who snuck into the jail. I know that person had red eyes, and I always thought it was another Kandra.

Coppermind might be wrong, but it says the same thing so apparently I'm not just making it up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

seaborgium posted:

I thought it had to do with the end of that book, when Wax's uncle was blown up by someone who snuck into the jail. I know that person had red eyes, and I always thought it was another Kandra.

Coppermind might be wrong, but it says the same thing so apparently I'm not just making it up.

Yeah, at the end of Bands of Mourning, there is a line like "the Set had Faceless Immortals of their own."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Oh, yeah, forgot about that part.

Coppermind also has (TLM spoiler) Wax down as a full mistborn now so the wiki editors at least think that's confirmed canon.