Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don’t think anyone like that is going to want to work through most of his prose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I don’t think anyone like that is going to want to work through most of his prose

Why? It’s rather simplified and can be read by readers of almost all levels.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Why? It’s rather simplified and can be read by readers of almost all levels.

Every book is a child’s book of that child can read etc. I’ve only read Blood Meridian by him but I think the prose in that is noticeably more complex and abstract than most genre fiction especially action books.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

derp posted:

i'm not arguing that mccarthy writes good prose and deep books, but the fact is,that on the surface its just actiony violence, cowboys shooting badguys. authors like mccarthy and others put too much faith in their readers to be able to see past that surface, when most people actually cant. a character like Chigurh, for example, no matter how cold and psychopathic you make him, will always lead your average genre reader to think 'woahhh this guy is coooool' and completely miss the point. this means i can never be sure if any given mccarthy fan is actually a fan of literature or they just like westerns and 'cool' violence.

is your argument this

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

derp posted:

this means i can never be sure if any given mccarthy fan is actually a fan of literature or they just like westerns and 'cool' violence.

Sounds like you've got a real hipster-infused false dichotomy going there.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

While we're posting bad takes that everyone hates, here's mine: the characters in War and Peace are completely unrealistic.

I seriously don't get why this book is held up as a masterpiece with the most realistic, full-of-depth characters ever written. They fall in love at first sight, are absurdly passionate about everything, etc. Their moods and emotions are so over the top to me. They don't feel real at all.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Every book is a child’s book of that child can read etc. I’ve only read Blood Meridian by him but I think the prose in that is noticeably more complex and abstract than most genre fiction especially action books.

Oh, wow, try not to stub your toe on that bar

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

blood meridian was okay-ish, the road was kinda boring and dull, haven't read anything else of his

I saw the no country film adaption, that worked well on screen, at least without any prior knowledge of the main text itself. idk what I'd feel about the passenger/stella maris

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I thought the whole point of this thread was to talk about books that are more complex than Wizard School or Battle Royale With Cheese. Cormac McCarthy falls into that category I think, the question of whether or not 100% of his readership gets that doesn't really change it.

A book doesn't have to be 700 pages of thick stream of consciousness Ulysses soup to fit into the point of this thread I hope.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't read books to enjoy them I read them so other people think Im smart and if other people won't think Im sufficiently smart for reading a book, well, hell, I won't read it

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't read books to enjoy them I read them so other people think Im smart and if other people won't think Im sufficiently smart for reading a book, well, hell, I won't read it

Have I got a 150 year old 1100 page economic textbook written by a german dude with a big beard for you!

(Capital is actually very interesting and useful actually but god drat is it dry)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Oh, wow, try not to stub your toe on that bar

It's the bar the poster mentioned. So yeah I think readers who think Blood Meridian is going to be fun shooty cowboy action are going to stub their toes. Don't worry I'm very impressed by how breezy it was for your big ol brain lol

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
you see, the problem with most 'faux literature' like McCarthy's books is they are all about the external. They describe a bunch of events happening, and that is the main driver, everything is about 'what happens next'

books like that can never be real literature. The huge advantage of text versus screen is that the internal world can truly be described and explored, and only books with a lack of the external can truly focus on the internal.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

While we're posting bad takes that everyone hates, here's mine: the characters in War and Peace are completely unrealistic.

I seriously don't get why this book is held up as a masterpiece with the most realistic, full-of-depth characters ever written. They fall in love at first sight, are absurdly passionate about everything, etc. Their moods and emotions are so over the top to me. They don't feel real at all.

that's a perfectly good and correct take. Tolstoy can suck the poo poo out of my rear end.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

you see, the problem with most 'faux literature' like McCarthy's books is they are all about the external. They describe a bunch of events happening, and that is the main driver, everything is about 'what happens next'

books like that can never be real literature. The huge advantage of text versus screen is that the internal world can truly be described and explored, and only books with a lack of the external can truly focus on the internal.

god drat it

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
i mean he's no patrick dewitt

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Crossing has that one scene focused on the interior of the buried wolf.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

blue squares posted:

counterpoint: pierre owns

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Reading about falling in love and passionate people is ableist, how do you feel about that?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

derp posted:

In fact I am suspicious of all books with a "plot." if the characters achieve any sort of external accomplishments it is not literature

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
the death scenes in War and Peace are incredible imho.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

thehoodie posted:

In fact I am suspicious of all books with a "plot." if the characters achieve any sort of external accomplishments it is not literature

lmao you think books with “characters” count as literature

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Books shouldn't even be about tangible things. They should ignite a metaphysical awakening of pure feeling and ethereal knowledge which the human brain cannot translate to the unenlightened -- a work of pure conceptualization. None of this plot or character or story bullshit for babies. If the book has any sense of being about anything in the concrete world then throw it away.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 7, 2022

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I sense that you are being ironic, but actually that is exactly true and is why Finnegan's Wake is considered one of the best literary masterpieces: because it doesn't even contain words

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

I sense that you are being ironic, but actually that is exactly true and is why Finnegan's Wake is considered one of the best literary masterpieces: because it doesn't even contain words

Derp are you loving with me, at this point?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

the greatest book is the blankest page

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ThePopeOfFun posted:

the greatest book is the blankest page

you joke, but one of the highest purposes of art is to transcend our preconceptions of what it should be. take john cage's 4′33″ for example.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
If you read it and you like it it’s a good book imo.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

you joke, but one of the highest purposes of art is to transcend our preconceptions of what it should be. take john cage's 4′33″ for example.

god drat it

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

derp posted:

the next greatest book is a mirror

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Idaholy Roller posted:

If you read it and you like it it’s a good book imo.

You absolutely should not “like” a book

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ThePopeOfFun posted:

You an editor for TIME?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

blue squares posted:

Your emotional prison is your own problem. I will brook no Tolstoy slander here.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ThePopeOfFun posted:

too derivative

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
The Voyeur by Robbe-Grillet. only real literature i can think of

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

ulvir posted:

counterpoint: pierre owns

i like the bit where pierre gets obsessed with numerology and fucks around with his own name until he gets "l'russe besuhof" to add up to 666 and takes that as proof that he is personally destined to defeat napoleon

however, anna karenina is boring

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Anna Karenina is perfect. War and Peace is boring.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anna Karenina is boring as hell. You'd think a novel that has multiple women getting a train run on them would be more interesting.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You guys at least like the Death of Ivan Iylich right? I feel like I'm going insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

i'm not arguing that mccarthy writes good prose and deep books, but the fact is,that on the surface its just actiony violence, cowboys shooting badguys. authors like mccarthy and others put too much faith in their readers to be able to see past that surface, when most people actually cant. a character like Chigurh, for example, no matter how cold and psychopathic you make him, will always lead your average genre reader to think 'woahhh this guy is coooool' and completely miss the point. this means i can never be sure if any given mccarthy fan is actually a fan of literature or they just like westerns and 'cool' violence.

you have water on the brain