Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Plutonis posted:

It's weird bc the Impel Down Jailors didn't had that at all!

Kaido had something like that but I thought it was just the flame clouds he uses to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Plutonis posted:

It's weird bc the Impel Down Jailors didn't had that at all!

you can reasonably infer that it's because their awakened fruits overrode their personalities and thus they didn't get the same benefits that luffy & lucci do

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

So do all awakened zoan fruit users get a super cool outfit built into their fruit.

Not that I’m complaining.

What does this mean for Chopper, then? Is his Monster Point not his Awakened form like people have speculated?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think I know what the Straw Hat is now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What does this mean for Chopper, then? Is his Monster Point not his Awakened form like people have speculated?

I think Monster Point is sort of an artificially forced Awakening. He has control of himself while in Monster Point now (unlike back in Enies Lobby), but he still needs the Rumble Ball to enter it, while Luffy and Lucci can apparently enter their Awakened forms at will. Maybe when Chopper becomes capable of entering Monster Point without the Rumble Ball, he'll get the cloud things.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

No other awakened fruit user has gotten the clouds (Katakuri, Law, Kidd, Doflamingo) so I dont get why a loser like Lucci has them except for the visuals.

Black swirling clouds wouldve fitted Blackbeard a whole lot better! :yarr:

lih
May 15, 2013

HerraS posted:

No other awakened fruit user has gotten the clouds (Katakuri, Law, Kidd, Doflamingo) so I dont get why a loser like Lucci has them except for the visuals.

Black swirling clouds wouldve fitted Blackbeard a whole lot better! :yarr:

the others weren't zoan so that's a possible explanation but more likely is just oda thought it looked cool here

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
who are the people who wished really really hard for biscuits and mochi

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So Luffy's fruit is powered by Nakama?
:thunk:

Great to see Luffy can freely (:v:) hit Gear 5 whenever he wants. Yonkos should be yonko levelled. I'm hype for all the inevitable fights in this arc now that the Straw Hats are that level of crew.

OH GEE DID WE SHOW OFF AN ITEM THAT CAN TOUCH LIGHT AND NOW KIZARU IS ON HIS WAY TO THE ISLAND?
Admiral fight incoming get hype

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

the wording here might be elaborated on in the better translations. I'm pushing my agenda that it's just human knowledge in general

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pureauthor posted:

It's me, i'm the person who wished to be covered in candle wax.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Feeling pretty good about these observations/predictions from earlier this year :c00l:

Scholtz posted:

Countblanc posted:

my pet theory was basically the same as the one I have for pokemon that are clearly inspired by man-made constructions, concepts, etc., - the devil fruit containing powers like "surgery" only began to exist after societies had a concept of what surgery was.

Yeah devil fruits are basically conceived via the public consciousness/grasp of a concept fits well. Could be an interesting look into what the oldest devil fruits are.

Might even be a Chainsaw Man style "the amount of fear people hold for a concept dictates how powerful it is" to thematically accompany the Luffy vs. Blackbeard fight. After all, what is a more common fear than the fear of darkness? But Luffy will show that belief in something is stronger than fear in it.

Also, the original Nika/Joyboy might not have even had powers; they could've been a completely mortal person, but through their actions a mythology was built around them, and enough people believed in that mythology that it birthed a devil fruit with powers that symbolize that mythical figure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

I think Monster Point is sort of an artificially forced Awakening. He has control of himself while in Monster Point now (unlike back in Enies Lobby), but he still needs the Rumble Ball to enter it, while Luffy and Lucci can apparently enter their Awakened forms at will. Maybe when Chopper becomes capable of entering Monster Point without the Rumble Ball, he'll get the cloud things.

When Chopper awakens hid Devil Fruit his nose will become red.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Infinitum posted:

So Luffy's fruit is powered by Nakama?
:thunk:

Great to see Luffy can freely (:v:) hit Gear 5 whenever he wants. Yonkos should be yonko levelled. I'm hype for all the inevitable fights in this arc now that the Straw Hats are that level of crew.

OH GEE DID WE SHOW OFF AN ITEM THAT CAN TOUCH LIGHT AND NOW KIZARU IS ON HIS WAY TO THE ISLAND?
Admiral fight incoming get hype

Nice seeing other high up baddies talk about Luffy in hushed terms. That they shouldn't even fight him because of the political status he's at is neat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chopper's alternate approach to awakening has pros and cons compared to the normal method. he doesn't get the characteristic incredible stamina and recovery rate the impel down jailors had. it's like bulking up without ever doing cardio. however, his personality was only ever temporarily suppressed. i think the jailors are stuck like that, closer to trained beasts than people.

however, chopper was flying blind. he had no idea what awakening was, much less zoan awakening. he didn't know what the goal was, just that he could tap into part of a greater power. that's likely changed since wano.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Why did we gaslight ourselves into believing the human human fruits awakening is a giant monster

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

because man is the real monster

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't wait for Chopper to become a guy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
hm. the flame of revolution is Sabo's current nickname? dude that's really picking up worldwide notoriety. Hito Hito No Mi Model: Sabo. Just like. What would happen??

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I honestly don't mind Luffy freely switching in and out of Gear Fifth if it means more Looney Tunes antics and visual gags. :allears:

I'm intensely looking forward to Gear Fifth Luffy giving Akainu an exploding cigar and his head bursts from anger as a literal volcano.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Nice seeing other high up baddies talk about Luffy in hushed terms. That they shouldn't even fight him because of the political status he's at is neat.

:same:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

Human Human Awakening: I am become Jim.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't wait for Lassoo to become a dog

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Infinitum posted:

I can't wait for Lassoo to become a dog

I can't wait for the next thrilling installment of the hit manga One Piece.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

lih posted:

the others weren't zoan so that's a possible explanation but more likely is just oda thought it looked cool here

The floating sash is something you can catch in old art pieces from Asia. I seem to only be finding it in images of Tao dieties. On both characters it is implying some older power (Lucci's being intensely evil). I don't think we'll see it more than one more time, honestly, Lucci seems uniquely focused on justice in comparison to every other Marine. It makes Lucci another mirror character to Luffy in a way that's very different from Blackbeard.

It also means he can't just be chumped here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lucci calls it justice, but he means obedience to the state.

lih
May 15, 2013

'm glad kizaru is going to be the proper antagonist of this arc

i'm also a bit confused by the gomu gomu no mi not being in the encyclopedia - the world government changed its name to cover it up, but also it was secret enough on top of that not to be in the encyclopedia at all? and obviously the red-hair pirates found out about it (& likely had some idea of what it actually was)

the gorosei having the highest authority over the seraphim also seems like a chekhov's gun, are we going to see them actually do something since commanding the seraphim only works in person

lih fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 8, 2022

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

lih posted:

'm glad kizaru is going to be the proper antagonist of this arc

i'm also a bit confused by the gomu gomu no mi not being in the encyclopedia - the world government changed its name to cover it up, but also it was secret enough on top of that not to be in the encyclopedia at all? and obviously the red-hair pirates found out about it (& likely had some idea of what it actually was)

the gorosei having the highest authority over the seraphim also seems like a chekhov's gun, are we going to see them actually do something since commanding the seraphim only works in person

No, the gomu gomu wasnt in the OLD version of the encyclopedia, a presumably forbidden version Vegapunk had read. The modern version must have the Gomu Gomu as the edited replacement of it, so Shanks could know about it to tell Luffy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Once One Piece is nearing its conclusion or after its finished, I'd love for a color glossy paperbound book of the complete Devil Fruit encyclopedia with each page being dedicated to a different Devil Fruit.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

mabels big day posted:

Why did we gaslight ourselves into believing the human human fruits awakening is a giant monster

The human human fruits awakening is a giant. This definitely has no implications with regards to the theme of human gigantification throughout the series.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also I'm starting to think that this MADS organisation might be important and also might not be totally on the level??

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I was skeptical about lucci coming back, but drat what a good ch. i wonder if zoro is going to take over fighting lucci here with kiazaru on the way? Can’t wait to read the ch 2 more times with better translations

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also I'm starting to think that this MADS organisation might be important and also might not be totally on the level??

uhhh, their new ship says PACIFIST??? how could a pacifist science group backed by dlu feld be anything but wholesome??

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sanji with the light boots vs Kizaru... cmon, we want it!!!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I want Kizaru to be a good guy...

Akainu feeling so sympathetic/likable these days.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah I hope Luffy doesn't fight any of the Admirals. They're not really beneath him, but it'd be cooler to have the other Strawhats show how strong they are by being the ones to face up against them.

If we're really in endgame it'll be Luffy vs. Akainu anyways.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This retroactively makes the scene where Sanji talks about wishing for invisibility powers so much better lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sabo will make his comeback just in time to take on Akainu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Akainu is going to punch a hole through Luffy, but in a goofy, cartoony way