Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A lot to think about this chap

Going back to Zoan awakenings, there's a few options we can assume from Lucci's form. The flowing clouds/fire is the big question here. Before, I assumed that those clouds were part of the mythical nature of the Nika fruit, and also just part of Kaido and Yamato's mythical creature designs as well. However, if Oda is saying this is a feature of all Zoan awakenings, that opens a few cans of worms.

Firstly, we have to assume that Kaido and Yamato were awakened the whole time. It just went without saying for them. Secondly, the Impel Down jailer beast forms are either retconned, or were in some other form where the smoke wasn't visible. I think this is more likely, perhaps when an awakened zoan user loses their sense of self entirely, they end up like that, which fits in to how they were described in the first place.

My guess is that the cloud smoke form of awakening is a sort of lucid consciousness where the user's mind and the fruit's mind are in lockstep. This is probably where the word "awakening" really stems from, if the devil fruits are manifestations of "dreams", awakening is like having a lucid dream where you can do anything with that power.

There's even more I wanna say but i'll wait for TCB to get some elaboration on the translation. But a quick crackpot theory if I'm totally wrong about the above: maybe the smoke clouds are exclusive to mythical zoan awakenings, and Lucci has the Forest God fruit or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Couldn't find the anime thread for OP (might be necro'd anyways) but for some reason I really dig the VA for Don Krieg from the 4kids dub despite the rest being the usual awful. Makes the dude sounds like a rock solid WWE wrestler promo-ing the mike and it blows that I can't any clips of him talking his poo poo in the restaurant after he stonewalls a cannon blast from the cooks.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wow Oda seems to have learned some pacing lessons from Wano, this is moving super fast with essentially zero bloat.

Not completely sold on the delivery or explanation of the devil fruit mystery. I like that it's some Berserk build-your-own-misery kind of metaphysical thing, but the delivery is just Vegapunk randomly mentioning it, and the explanation for the ocean-sinking drawback feels tacked on and makes no sense at all to me. It's not a bad explanation or anything I just wish it had been a different explanation and that it had had a bit more buildup I guess.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I’m pretty confident that a better translation will make it a little more coherent, because yeah the sea curse thing didn’t really make sense.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Vegapunk could also be wrong

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel confident that we will be getting a much more rounded explanation later on. We still don't know the why for any of this nor the history of the void century, so this is definitely being set up for later.

Also, Vegapunk is clearly monologuing to himself as much as anything here, and doesn't really have time to lay out the history behind what he's seeing right now.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 8, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Fruits are fulfillments of human fantasies/dreams. Dreams are, by definition, unnatural/unreasonable so Vegapunk speculates that the state of nature is fundamentally opposed to them and is how the sea curse works.

Fruits are clearly supernatural and the AK is already very "unnatural" (highly technological) so I think this mostly fits, more stuff can still get added on ofc.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5559/one-piece-chapter-1069

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Faster than their recent output, but still not fast enough.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love all the straw hats just going "what the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress" at all the revelations and fights

big mood

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

mabels big day posted:

Why did we gaslight ourselves into believing the human human fruits awakening is a giant monster

Potentially depressing theory - Chopper's fruit was originated by a giant/fishman/some other nonhuman who was being abused or discriminated against and wanted nothing more than to be human, ties up why Chopper thinks it's the human fruit but the awakened form is an out of control giant raging monster.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love Luffy, I love Gear Fifth, I love One Piece

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not a chapter spoiler, but I'm still marvelling that Dr Vegapunk has been built up for hundreds of chapters and absolutely did not disappoint.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Vegapunk definitely doesn't have the full story, or if he does he isn't telling it right now. I don't doubt him but there are more holes to be filled

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
so there's officially two gods on the crew, Luffy and Usopp

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oh my god there is going to be a Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Usopp

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Scholtz posted:

Oh my god there is going to be a Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Usopp

Oda please

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mole Pistol is dope, that's the kind of poo poo I want with Gear Fifth along with the other cartoon antics.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The information reveals in this chapter :dogstare:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Woah, the awakened Liar Liar Fruit is actually the mythical Zoan of Go D. Usopp!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i love one piece so much

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

What the gently caress Luffy :gonk:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really, really like how Luffy being an emperor and Lucci being CP0 means them interacting, much less fighting, is a massive world-scale incident that has to be treaded super carefully... but Luffy gives 0 fucks about any of that, and Lucci only gave like half a gently caress for a couple minutes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Poor Sentomaru did not sign up for any of this poo poo.

Lol at Vegapunk guilt-tripping him.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So the D. is for "Desire" then, yes?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

What a great chap.

This is such a perfect way to use CP0. Kaku and Stussy are basically ready to run away, and Lucci is only fighting because he's such a zealot. They're completely back-footed now, with no control over the seraphs and explicit orders not to engage.

But Lucci is still a threat, because he's willing to just go full-power on any bystander at any time, even if he can't beat Luffy in a one-on-one fight.

The big devil fruit revelation is really cool, I love that it's still weird and vague.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MorningMoon posted:

I really, really like how Luffy being an emperor and Lucci being CP0 means them interacting, much less fighting, is a massive world-scale incident that has to be treaded super carefully... but Luffy gives 0 fucks about any of that, and Lucci only gave like half a gently caress for a couple minutes.

The moment when war was inevitable :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think zoan awakening happens as a result of the user and the animal/entity the fruit represents synchronizing their will or mind or whatever. This is why there is the concern of the zoan side completely taking over. Lucci is such a natural hunter/predator in the same fashion a real leopard is, he was able to awaken. He didn't care about the logical thing to do in this situation and run away because he's more in tune with the base instincts of the leopard fruit.

Assuming Yamato was awakened the whole time too, his strong desire to protect wano probably made awakening the fruit of the guardian spirit of wano pretty easy to come naturally.

Will we get awakened Kaku? I definitely hope so! Perhaps pretending that giraffes are cool is the exact thing real giraffes do and he is also awakened already too!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

This is the second time (that I can remember) where Luffy has to be reminded that the marines being around is not unusual. I love it.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

mabels big day posted:

Will we get awakened Kaku? I definitely hope so! Perhaps pretending that giraffes are cool is the exact thing real giraffes do and he is also awakened already too!

Kaku needs to beat his nose to the tune of Huey Lewis.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
"As long as people's desires exist... Such a thing will never cease to be."

So that's now, if I remember right, something said by Gold Roger, Blackbeard and Vegapunk.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do we know for sure Kaido was awakened? his dragon form didnt seem too flashy compared to Momo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

hatty posted:

Do we know for sure Kaido was awakened? his dragon form didnt seem too flashy compared to Momo

His was blue and Momo's was pink

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

hatty posted:

Yes, Kaido was an Awakened Zoan. Why do I keep seeing people question this?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Awakening is just extra fruit powers what is there to even discuss? I am confident that it is the least interesting concept in one piece.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Delphisage posted:

Yes, Kaido was an Awakened Zoan. Why do I keep seeing people question this?

for the very obvious reason that it was never stated whether kaido was awakened or not :ssh:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Whitebeard hasn’t been confirmed to have awakened his fruit either, and nothing he did seems to match up with what we know now about Awakening

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So any vegapunk can show up and countermand the seraphim who are currently under cp0 control but cp0 will try to gank the vegapunks asap to resume control, I can see how this is gonna go and it will be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

being an awakened Zoan just seems to make you stronger in every aspect, not much interesting about it

I love that Lucci is clearly not a threat to current Luffy 1 on 1 but is still strong enough he can't be taken out easily and the fact they're fighting in what's basically a crowded city with tons of bystanders as well as multiple factions watching and participating makes it still an interesting conflict