Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SexyBlindfold posted:

Okay I'm all caught up. Oddly enough what finally broke my resolve to not ~spoil the anime for myself~ wasn't the promise of more batshit loving fight scenes or more poignant character moments, it was the vague spoiler that Denji was getting wooed by some loving dork who rules. So I went and read ~80 chapters.

Don't tell anyone, but I think that this manga might be good

It's pretty generous to call whatever Asa is doing right now "wooing", but she does rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The only reason I started reading this fricken manga is quite literally a screenshot of the panel of typhoon devils appearance.

I had to understand.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's pretty generous to call whatever Asa is doing right now "wooing", but she does rule.

The first few pages had me thinking that she was going to do ok, hell her and Denji could probably even be having a decent time, in their weird, respective ways before some crazy poo poo happened to interrupt because this is CSM after all

but no

Fujimoto set that up perfectly

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SexyBlindfold posted:

Okay I'm all caught up. Oddly enough what finally broke my resolve to not ~spoil the anime for myself~ wasn't the promise of more batshit loving fight scenes or more poignant character moments, it was the vague spoiler that Denji was getting wooed by some loving dork who rules. So I went and read ~80 chapters.

that's a good reason to catch up in my opinion. i'm excited for when this guy from the anime thread finds out that part 2 is all slice of life stuff about the war devil

Martman posted:

Awesome episode. I had been getting frustrated by the amount of time spent on "slice of life" stuff, but now that they're following through on the dangers involved in the job it makes those previous character-building moments a lot more impactful.

I'm kinda wondering if we're in for some big plot twists where stuff like the Snake Devil are powerful but act independently, but what if there's like, a War Devil? Maybe entire governments and militaries and stuff are in league with devils that operate on a way more insane scale than what we're seeing.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

a kitten posted:

The first few pages had me thinking that she was going to do ok, hell her and Denji could probably even be having a decent time, in their weird, respective ways before some crazy poo poo happened to interrupt because this is CSM after all

but no

It really is the final jigsaw piece of 'yeah it makes sense that Asa has no friends'

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

a kitten posted:

but no

Fami might've actually saved the their date. If anything this chapter makes a romance between Asa and Denji much more likely and the comparison between the two come much more into focus.

It's also fun reading the anime thread speculate on what Makima did in the last episode, when it isn't ever outright explained.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a kitten posted:

but no

See, everything about Denji and Asa (let's be honest, given the track records, mostly Asa) has said "these two have the compatibility of peanut butter and radioactive waste", so I was already expecting a total disaster, but Asa really overdelivered, completely fumbling a guy who views a woman going "Wanna gently caress?" as nigh-irresistible foreplay.

She not only bored him, but hit his most traumatizing events dead on.

People keep insisting that every event is more proof of Denji and Asa's inevitability as a pairing, but as of right now, they don't seem to have either Reze style "they just dig each other" compatibility or classic screwball comedy style "I hate that I can't stop thinking about you!" compatibility. They just seem to be two people who don't like each other, and who would, in general, prefer to just ignore the other, if not for desperate circumstances forcing them to spend time together.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

See, everything about Denji and Asa (let's be honest, given the track records, mostly Asa) has said "these two have the compatibility of peanut butter and radioactive waste", so I was already expecting a total disaster, but Asa really overdelivered, completely fumbling a guy who views a woman going "Wanna gently caress?" as nigh-irresistible foreplay.

She not only bored him, but hit his most traumatizing events dead on.

People keep insisting that every event is more proof of Denji and Asa's inevitability as a pairing, but as of right now, they don't seem to have either Reze style "they just dig each other" compatibility or classic screwball comedy style "I hate that I can't stop thinking about you!" compatibility. They just seem to be two people who don't like each other, and who would, in general, prefer to just ignore the other, if not for desperate circumstances forcing them to spend time together.

So far Denji has interacted with three people in Part 2: Yoshida, Asa, and that one terrified nameless school girl he tried to reveal his secret identity to.

If I were to rank them by the level of romantic chemistry he has with each of them the order would be:

1. Yoshida
2. Terrified nameless school girl
6. Asa (and even this feels generous)

For the record, Asa also has more romantic chemistry with Yoshida (AKA the guy who's only interactions with her so far were turning down an offer for a date after her alter ego hit on him and then trying to set her up with someone else) then she has with Denji.

Asa and Denji are the couple equivalent of oil and water. I hope we get to see them go on a hundred dates.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

LostRook posted:

Fami might've actually saved the their date. If anything this chapter makes a romance between Asa and Denji much more likely and the comparison between the two come much more into focus.

Asa's remark about how easy it is to make men fall for you makes me think the second Denji does something remotely nice/cool she's gonna fall for him (and refuse to acknowledge it ).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

LostRook posted:

It's also fun reading the anime thread speculate on what Makima did in the last episode, when it isn't ever outright explained.

I kind of feel that half of what's going on with that is op sec stuff to hide Makima's nature from the kyoto people and the high up temple was totally unnecessary.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We had a talk a couple pages ago about Makima's aesthetics and that's totally part of it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terper posted:

We had a talk a couple pages ago about Makima's aesthetics and that's totally part of it

We do get a lot of hints as to what happened.

Tendo and Kurose's devil is the punishment devil. It's implied that they were blindfolded so they wouldn't notice Makima used their contracts. Which also suggests that the whole condemned prisoners thing might be part of getting maximum use out of it.

But yeah. Some of it is probably Makima wanting things to have the right look. Not even for anyone else, but because you have to have style, even if no-one else sees it.

I wonder if Nayuta inherited any of that. Be more difficult with Denji involved in things, mind. (It's a definite contrast with War either way. Even when pouting, Makima has to maintain a certain level of composure.)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

For the record, Asa Yoru also has more romantic chemistry with Yoshida (AKA the guy who's only interactions with her so far were turning down an offer for a date after her alter ego hit on him and then trying to set her up with someone else) then she has with Denji.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

Badass reason, makes me curious what your favorite part is so far

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

We do get a lot of hints as to what happened.

Tendo and Kurose's devil is the punishment devil. It's implied that they were blindfolded so they wouldn't notice Makima used their contracts. Which also suggests that the whole condemned prisoners thing might be part of getting maximum use out of it.

But yeah. Some of it is probably Makima wanting things to have the right look. Not even for anyone else, but because you have to have style, even if no-one else sees it.

I wonder if Nayuta inherited any of that. Be more difficult with Denji involved in things, mind. (It's a definite contrast with War either way. Even when pouting, Makima has to maintain a certain level of composure.)

I forget, did we ever discover what Devil Makima used to pull off those temple snipes? I don't remember that being ever mentioned.

But I agree that parts of the ritual (the hand gestures at the very least) was just Makima trying to look cool. :allears:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I legit think Denji and Yoru is more likely at this point.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I forget, did we ever discover what Devil Makima used to pull off those temple snipes? I don't remember that being ever mentioned.

But I agree that parts of the ritual (the hand gestures at the very least) was just Makima trying to look cool. :allears:
Maybe she Controlled their bodies and popped them like that, without the need for another devil or conract.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Aurora posted:

have we even seen nayuta in part 2 yet

in chapter 111 on the page where it shows several people attempting to sleep Denji is shown sleeping next to two dogs and a smaller person with black hair (it's Nayuta)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Fun detail/coincidence people are pointing out; The chapter title illustration of Denji, Aki and Power as kids in an aquarium had a date written on it, 6.12.
That's the same date as this chapter came out. I assume it's mostly a happy coincidence. Fujimoto has a date planned, notices the chapter could come out on that specific date and decides to set it in an Aquarium but it's neat whatever the case.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Sleng Teng posted:

Badass reason, makes me curious what your favorite part is so far

1. "Lost my nerve."
2. Denji and Power's idiot sibling dumpster hug
3. DENJI, WARRIOR OF LIGHT

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

1. "Lost my nerve."
2. Denji and Power's idiot sibling dumpster hug
3. DENJI, WARRIOR OF LIGHT

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Scrree posted:

in chapter 111 on the page where it shows several people attempting to sleep Denji is shown sleeping next to two dogs and a smaller person with black hair (it's Nayuta)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

I figured that she used her power to use other people's contracts, and used Tendo and Kurose's lifelong contract with the punishment devil without them knowing, in a way they weren't aware was possible. It would make sense with the temple, height, prisoners and the fact that the first two kills were done ostensibly without a sacrifice.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just started fire punch, and yo what’s the gently caress

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah. It's also less coherent I find, though I still enjoyed it a lot in part because it's less refined. I think it's cool that it includes a trans character as a main character in a genuine way

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

strap in buddy.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sube posted:

Yeah. It's also less coherent I find, though I still enjoyed it a lot in part because it's less refined. I think it's cool that it includes a trans character as a main character in a genuine way

It’s got Fujimotos weirdness and I can already see some of the early experimental versions of things he did in CSM and his one shots. It’s good but, but I’ve only gotten as far as dog rape man and chopping off that poor kids legs. There’s a lot to go, and the pace is way less refined but it’s compelling in a very raw way.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

sube posted:

Everything involving that character completely hosed with me for a bit. I now fear the idea of reincarnation a bit because of that uncertainty of whether the next life can be a good one for trans people considering it’s barely passable in some places for us now. Reincarnating as a trans women again and lacking the chance, ability or resources to live in my preferred body the next go around is kind of a terrifying thought along with any other possible reason reincarnation can be terrifying. 10/10 manga for that but yeah it’s a weird mixed bag in other places.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

It’s got Fujimotos weirdness and I can already see some of the early experimental versions of things he did in CSM and his one shots. It’s good but, but I’ve only gotten as far as dog rape man and chopping off that poor kids legs. There’s a lot to go, and the pace is way less refined but it’s compelling in a very raw way.

The moment-to-moment pacing is really rough and I think that's where I'm really struggling with it. I might finish it if only because it's pretty short and I'm really curious about the trans rep

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fire Punch feels like it suffered from Fujimoto not really knowing where he was going with the plot. Like there’s all of these hooks and characters that get set up, but then they’re just kind of unceremoniously dropped. And everything after Agni’s flames going out just kind of felt like a meandering mess that he didn’t know how to end.

It makes CSM really impressive, because it seems almost meticulously well planned out, with great payoffs for all the subtle things set up early on, so I think Fujimoto kind of learned from it.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Question about two details I can't remember from the manga that recently came up in the anime.

While Katana Man is fighting Denji he tells him that he gets to kill him again. Is this ever elaborated upon? I can't remember. Two, is there any suggestion about why Makima wasn't able to kill snake and katana with the prisoner sacrifice? Maybe just the implication that it's because they have contracts with devils?

edit: I had spoilered this reflexively lol

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

He had just shot him to death so that was kill one. There are no details on how Makima did her squish thing or why the mooks died first, just speculation iirc.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Why would Makima kill Snake and Katana Man? They were doing everything she wanted them to!

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Haha duh, how silly of me, and I was wondering if I had missed an interesting detail when I read the manga. I was pretty sure we never received any elaboration on how Makima did that.

The anime is really nailing it so far. I'm kinda sad that it will probably be several years before part 1 is finished being animated though. If the episode:chapter relation stays the same, part 1 will be like three seasons long.

I can't wait to see the Santa Claus arc.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

makima probably wanted katana for her collection

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

AnoHito posted:

Fire Punch feels like it suffered from Fujimoto not really knowing where he was going with the plot. Like there’s all of these hooks and characters that get set up, but then they’re just kind of unceremoniously dropped. And everything after Agni’s flames going out just kind of felt like a meandering mess that he didn’t know how to end.

Once Agni gets his spark back it feels like it rights itself and even in the meandering there's lots of interesting ideas but it definitely is a case of "I need to put all my ideas out now as quick as possible."
It's a passionate mess and I love it.

quote:

While Katana Man is fighting Denji he tells him that he gets to kill him again. Is this ever elaborated upon? I can't remember. Two, is there any suggestion about why Makima wasn't able to kill snake and katana with the prisoner sacrifice? Maybe just the implication that it's because they have contracts with devils?
The "I'll kill you again" is probably because he'd just shot Denji in the head. It's like how the US says they've killed Makima however many times.

Nothing is said about why Makima didn't kill Akane or Katana Man but my speculation is her remote killings would somehow make it harder for her to get them/their contracted devils under her control. Nothing is ever said but it seems fairly consistent Makima has held onto bodies (especially if you buy the shaky Arai = Violence idea) for some reason. Fujimoto seems to have worked out mechanics for these things but has no interest in explaining them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Fire Punch has a lot of unnecessary grossness but so far Togata is marvelous. Though I have a feeling she's dangerously close to straight up being Fujimoto's self-insert.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The character who's closest to Fujimoto is, according to interviews with his assistants, Denji.

They talk in the same way, they both eat things they shouldn't, and they both have a thing for unreasonable women.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tosk posted:

Question about two details I can't remember from the manga that recently came up in the anime.

edit: I had spoilered this reflexively lol

Before I knew Makima deal, I assumed it was a “I need to figure out how to wrangle them.” Pre “reveal” I thought of Makima as a huge opportunist, and they presented an interesting opportunity.

After learning her true nature and seeing her use Akane specifically, she clearly wanted to use their very good contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I want Asa and Denji and Power to be friends forever. I'm assuming Fami doesn't know who Chainsaw Man is either?