Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Curses, devils, brash yet powerful teenager who is friends with a hammer wielding girl and reserved/stoic boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

If you’ve never read other manga but liked CSM JJK is your best bet. It’s also really good. After that you can stretch your wings with more different stuff imo. Despite being similar don’t worry about JJK being a retread. They started around the same time and have a comparable set up with curses and devils as well as their main trips initial vibe. However they’re both interested in telling different but cool types of stories and need of as quite different series.

i will say that trying to read JJK after reading CSM just made me want to reread CSM after 20 or so chapters so ymmv

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They feel pretty different imo by that time. I think the primary difference is that CSM goes off the rails pretty much immediately after the Infinity Devil but JJK doesn't go insane until a later date. I prefer CSM too but I think JJK is just a slower burn to get to the point where you realise it's doing much more interesting things than a lot of standard fare shonen. The Shibuya Incident imo is an all timer. Even just before that you have hidden inventory which will start off season 2. basically where the anime season of JJK ends is just before it goes from "solid well polished shonen" to "really drat good stuff" imo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

symbolic posted:

i will say that trying to read JJK after reading CSM just made me want to reread CSM after 20 or so chapters so ymmv

Yeah jjk is good but it hews far closer to the classic shounen fightmans template than CSM ever did.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I second Dorohedoro is a good next one, especially since it has the hyper violence, surreal world building and unexpected comedic moments.

Fujimoto has a very specific tone and writing style so there’s no direct comparisons tbqh. I think he’s the best in the biz atm.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

While it's not thematically close to CSM at all, I would recommend 100 Mob Psycho for action, warmth, silliness, and character portrayal + growth. If the manga art style is too rough for you, maybe try the anime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I second Dorohedoro is a good next one, especially since it has the hyper violence, surreal world building and unexpected comedic moments.

Fujimoto has a very specific tone and writing style so there’s no direct comparisons tbqh. I think he’s the best in the biz atm.

Another plus for Dorohedoro is that it is a completed series.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Chainsaw Man and Dorohedoro both have found family themes too.

What CSM doesn’t have is the way it becomes insanely tedious the moment Hole appears

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I mean... it's nothing like CSM (arguably), but I highly recommend Naoki Urasawa's stuff. Monster, 20th Century Boys, and Pluto are phenomenal not-just-manga, but works of fiction.

Beautiful art, engaging characters, hard emotional beats, horrifying twists, and steeped wonderfully in the flavors of the eras they portray.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Seconding all of those. Pluto is the shortest and easiest to enjoy but the other two are equally incredible.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'd definitely recommend the original Akira manga, as well.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Everyone should "read" Gon

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're tossing out good manga at random, Fujimoto's reader comments for Chainsaw Man introduced me to Kabu No Isaki, a 6 volume manga about a delivery pilot in a world where many things are in ten times scale.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRHV9FU1_Fk

:getin:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God drat, just thinking about Operation Super Smart makes me laugh and that pv has me hyped as hell

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:sickos:

Does the preview have the episode title?

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 13, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Electric Phantasm posted:

:sickos:

Does the preview have the episode title?

"Bruised and Battered".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blockhouse posted:

"Bruised and Battered".

Thank you!

Was hoping for "The Future Rules"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Weird BIAS posted:

How similar are Makima and Yoru really?

Well, they're both non-human who've taken an interest in humanity, so they have that in common.

However, Makima deluded herself into thinking she fully understood humanity when it was was clear she just fundamentally did not, while Yoru has enough self awareness to comprehend that she doesn't know much about humans and is slowly learning more about them through Asa.

Yoru is willing to change and try new things in ways Makima was not, so Yoru has a capacity for growth and development which Makima never did.

As of now I'd say Yoru is more likely to become capable of feeling and expressing love, and that's the key difference between her and Makima.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yoru ... doesn't know much ...

She's not stupid! She's not!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, they're both non-human who've taken an interest in humanity, so they have that in common.

However, Makima deluded herself into thinking she fully understood humanity when it was was clear she just fundamentally did not, while Yoru has enough self awareness to comprehend that she doesn't know much about humans and is slowly learning more about them through Asa.

Yoru is willing to change and try new things in ways Makima was not, so Yoru has a capacity for growth and development which Makima never did.

As of now I'd say Yoru is more likely to become capable of feeling and expressing love, and that's the key difference between her and Makima.

Makima did understand humans pretty well, including Denji, who she played like a kazoo despite not being able to use her powers. She also was aware that she didn't know everything and acted on that, doing things like just asking Denji why he was feeling bad in the early chapters.

I'd even say that she was capable of expressing love. Her last scene with Pochita was her just talking about wanting to live a happy life together.

She just didn't accept Denji and didn't understand Chainsaw Man, and between the two, she ruined everything.

Yoru, meanwhile, seems harmless and funny right now because she's an idiot and relatively low power, but she's still even more casual about murder than Power was, and pretty clearly trying to manipulate Asa in ways that aren't to Asa's benefit. She's even playing the guilt card that Santa relied on and that Makima broke Denji with. That's not looking clean and heroic, you know?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy-_5Cnehns

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/shonenleaks/status/1602691085381296129?s=46&t=gxG4kKwmK_O6-6Pap0FmSg

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... what was first place?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Supremezero posted:

the summer hikaru died

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Supremezero posted:

Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu. Seems like it’s a BL manga

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's.....complex. A bit horror, a bit maybe BL, a bit quietly introspective slice of life. Certainly worthy of the 1st slot, even if I like Eri more.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

talk about the animation/kobeni vs snake scene in the anime thread has me thinking about the adaptational changes. so far i know:

• they cut the early chapter where denji gets tricked by the muscle devil (which i understand for pacing purposes, but watching this with people who haven't read the manga, it really does a lot to sell denji as someone you can root for, especially if you find his behavior early off-putting)
  • for some reason they didn't have kobeni try to shoot snake only to realize she's out of bullets, instead she shoots at snake a few times through the van and misses. don't understand this one since it kind of undercuts kobeni's big moment imo and drags out the scene unnecessarily. to me it kind of changes the tone from a sudden outburst of ultraviolence to more measured and deliberate, and changes how kobeni comes off as a result, especially when she very deliberately lines up that last shot. maybe that's intentional, though?

anything else notable they've compressed or changed to date?

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 13, 2022

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I get what you mean with Kobeni but my impression was she couldn't see Snake yet was managing to kind of guess where she was.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I agree it undercuts Kobeni's skills a little and I prefer how the manga handled that. However Kobeni always felt very in control in that scene to me and the anime captures that correctly to me. The other addition it made to that scene is showing Kobeni actually ice that old granny which was cool

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
It also makes the part where she runs to hide behind Denji a lot more awkward, since she could have shot Snake or been shooting while running or something. It was a weird choice

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ive thought about it and if I had to put money on it right now, I think Denji is going to end up with another sister here, but the "god my brother is so lame" type this time. There is still a critical brain cell shortage. Maybe Nayuta got the rest of them?

https://twitter.com/Raggumba/status/1602299732688109568?t=7UCGWQgTIQm1p8kzbgK1IQ&s=19

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

I agree it undercuts Kobeni's skills a little and I prefer how the manga handled that. However Kobeni always felt very in control in that scene to me and the anime captures that correctly to me. The other addition it made to that scene is showing Kobeni actually ice that old granny which was cool

I like how they drew her face as the van was driving off

Looks very :smugjones:

Also today's episode ended like a minute too early :mad:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Wow this episode sure ended like 5 seconds too early. Come on guys.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
this is the part where power and denji become friends with aki :'(

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Wow the anime ending today is playing dirty. Final shot of the episode itself is the future devil and then an ending no anime only watcher could possibly get.

Its a reference to the end of part 1 of Chainsaw man with Denji now living with the dogs and eating Makima and I think the coloring is how the future devil sees the world

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Yeah, was it really that hard to fit in a spooky voice saying "the future.... RULES!"?

I feel like the episodes have ended weirdly more often than they haven't tbh

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

They didn’t say commence operation super smart :ignorance:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

King of Solomon posted:

I cannot recommend Dandadan enough. It's another manga that I'm blown away by every single week, from how well written and expressive the characters are to how creative and fun the encounters with aliens and/or supernatural entities can be. It's a real treasure of a manga. I should note that there's some offputting stuff in chapter 1, but that's not a regular thing.

+1 for this, its completely mad, and incredibly pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I thought Kobeni's plan was to secure the half-Denji, not get into some revengence battle to the death, which worked perfectly. Hyper violence super speed to fully neutralize the injured Katana man and spook the uninjured Snake away