Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Less news and more just, "Yeah, I should loving hope so," but Judge Eileen Cannon has dismissed Trump's case, officially :

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/politics/judge-dismisses-special-master-trump/index.html

Aw, man. ANOTHER biased totally unfair judge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Aw, man. ANOTHER biased totally unfair judge?

The judiciary is full of these radical-left democrat plants!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1602437872879009793

TPM with a scoop on some texts to Mark Meadows from a congressman

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's part of the 2300+ texts that the J6 committee has, where Meadows contacted at least 34 members of Congress about the plot. This is being released to press on background with Meadows' knowledge because he's trying to get out ahead of whatever is coming.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

It's part of the 2300+ texts that the J6 committee has, where Meadows contacted at least 34 members of Congress about the plot. This is being released to press on background with Meadows' knowledge because he's trying to get out ahead of whatever is coming.

Oh, this is gonna be good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

For the longest time I've always thought that everyone just found Trump to be their useful idiot but jesus h christ I think all of these lunatics did in fact think he was their Lord and Savior? What the hell?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

BonoMan posted:

For the longest time I've always thought that everyone just found Trump to be their useful idiot but jesus h christ I think all of these lunatics did in fact think he was their Lord and Savior? What the hell?

he got rid of all the people who tried to use him as an useful idiot because the one thing trump hates more than anything is being told what to do

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Meadows was a True Believer in this poo poo long before Trump came along. And if it weren't for Trump, he'd still be a nobody House member from the most conservative district in his state, with no real chance of reaching a position higher than chair of the Freedom Caucus.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

It's great because the chuds on twitter were so sure she was in the bag, they thought this announcement meant the federal case against Trump had been dropped.

So far the chuds are taking this as:

-someone was threatening her family
-the special master was deep state so this is 25th dimensional chess
-as usual, this is all part of the plan and everything is coming up TURMP

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He was actually asking them to invoke Marshall’s PLAN

Simple misunderstanding

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Simple misunderstanding

Ah, infrastructure week. Always a classic. Totally understandable.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Simple misunderstanding

I thought he wanted Trump to declare Marshall Law an S-teir on the Tekken roster

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm fuzzy on the details, do we know why trump did not infact declare martial law or take a more heavy handed approach?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

I'm fuzzy on the details, do we know why trump did not infact declare martial law or take a more heavy handed approach?

Because these men are cowards, OP

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cr0y posted:

quote:

As Newsweek previously reported, Pentagon Chief of Staff Kash Patel, rather than Cohen-Watnick (who was traveling with acting Secretary of Defense Miller in Asia and not the Middle East) was mysteriously called back to Washington. According to Carol Leonnig and Phillip Rucker's "I Alone Can Fix It," Joint Chiefs Chairman Army Gen. Mark Milley thought another national security official was about to be dismissed—maybe himself.

Watnick-Cohen or Patel; Asia or the Middle East; another firing or a declaration of martial law: it is now clear that Flynn's machinations were taken seriously in the Pentagon, so much so that Acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller held back on the use of the military on January 6.

According to the Department of Defense Inspector General's report on the Pentagon reaction to the elections and protests, Mr. Miller told us, "There was absolutely no way ... I was putting U.S. military forces at the Capitol, period." He cited media stories alleging that the President's advisors were pushing him to declare martial law to invalidate the election and that Mr. Miller was an ally installed as the Acting SecDef [Secretary of Defense] to facilitate a coup. He also cited a January 3, 2021 open letter from 10 former Secretaries of Defense warning the DoD not to use the military in a manner antithetical to the U.S. Constitution. Mr. Miller stated that he "made a very deliberate decision that I would not put U.S. military people ... East of the 9th Street, northwest. ... And the reason for that was I knew if the morning of the 6th or prior if we put U.S. military personnel on the Capitol, I would have created the greatest Constitutional crisis probably since the Civil War."

In the Inspector General's report, Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy supports Miller's account, saying that Miller "made it clear that the military would not be involved in certifying the election results and that '10 different news agencies' asked him about military use and martial law."

Some critics have suggested that Flynn be arrested for sedition or even treason, that all of the plotters and even January 6 protestors who attacked police and forcibly entered the Capitol be charged with the same. What is clear is that Flynn, in his public statements, never called for martial law. He repeated others' calls and said he wasn't calling for it himself. What he said to President Trump, and what he actually said to Watnick-Cohen or Kash Patel, is still a mystery.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Lol, just straight up instructing to do a coop. Why is he not on some blacksite?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 13, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

It's unlikely that any of the relevant authorities would have obeyed such a declaration. "Martial law" doesn't really have a clear basis in US federal law, which is why it's usually reserved for incidents where the political mainstream, military, and local elites are all near-unanimously united behind the need for drastic action without worrying too much about whether it's really legal.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Lol, just straight up instructing to do a coop. Why is he not on some blacksite?

Coup.

Coops, we should have more of :colbert:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jaxyon posted:

Coup.

Real democracy is a coupe.

Because we're putting the top down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

from what i remember reading, Kash tried a couple times before the 6th that the military should just go along with it. the day it happened the generals basicaly told him to shut the gently caress up and sit down or else and he basicaly slunk away.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Jaxyon posted:

Coup.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is confusing coop with a coup a minor spelling mistake?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is confusing coop with a coup a minor spelling mistake?

It does leave the impression that you pronounce them the same, which isn’t great.

Not saying that’s true, but it’s a bad typo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Less news and more just, "Yeah, I should loving hope so," but Judge Eileen Cannon has dismissed Trump's case, officially :

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/politics/judge-dismisses-special-master-trump/index.html
I was about to ask why she would tell Trump to gently caress off after bending over backwards to help him any way she possibly could but then I clicked the article and read that the appeals court gave her no choice

Lol that someone this incompetent and/or unethical gets to be a judge for life, what a system

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I was about to ask why she would tell Trump to gently caress off after bending over backwards to help him any way she possibly could but then I clicked the article and read that the appeals court gave her no choice

Lol that someone this incompetent and/or unethical gets to be a judge for life, what a system

An inherent problem of (many) government systems is a pretty high requirement for good faith actors. It’s really hard to come up with a democracy that has an effective safe guard against just voting in some dipshit who wants to light everything on fire.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Xiahou Dun posted:

Real democracy is a coupe.

Because we're putting the top down.

:actually: Coupe means a fixed roof two door car. Not a convertible.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

aventari posted:

poo poo. gently caress.

Well done.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

aventari posted:

It's also a type of champagne glass that predates the flute!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So dumb
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1602711899275235330

So many insane texts
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1602818739606634497

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the hens appear to be staging a coop d'etat

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
or more appropriately in the case of hens, a coup de tete

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 31 hours!)

Herstory Begins Now posted:

or more appropriately in the case of hens, a coup de tete

je te donnerai un coup de poing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Didn't see this posted yet

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-an-intel-analyst-tried-to-prevent-the-jan-6-attack-but-dhs-failed-to-act-190922453.html

Exclusive: An intel analyst tried to prevent the Jan. 6 attack — but DHS failed to act

quote:

On Dec. 20, 2020, a 21-year-old intelligence analyst went online to search for local Washington, D.C., fishing holes and stumbled upon the blueprint of a plot to storm the Capitol and execute members of Congress and law enforcement officers to prevent the certification of electoral votes to make Joe Biden the next president.

The domestic terrorism analyst with the Department of Homeland Security saw a link to a website where people “actively at that moment were discussing the commission of acts of terroristic violence and the violent overthrow of the government of the United States,” according to the analyst’s written account later provided to investigators.

There the analyst “witnessed upwards of 500 pages worth of potential threats to national security,” including people urging others — and discussing how — to smuggle illegal weapons into the nation’s capital and avoid detection by law enforcement. The DHS intelligence analyst also saw “discussion references of overthrowing the US Government by force/sparking a second civil war, and veiled credible threats of violence toward other US persons who were perceived enemies, specifically Members of Congress and other federal employees.

What started as a literal fishing expedition turned into a failed 16-day effort to sound the alarm and push the various parts of the DHS intelligence apparatus into action.

Over those 16 days, this analyst and others inside DHS’s Office of Intelligence and Analysis saw the plot unfold in excruciating detail. They watched as maps of the Capitol access tunnels were circulated online, along with tactical information about how to smuggle illegal weapons into D.C. and which radio frequencies to use for communication during the attack. They saw threats to members of Congress and local D.C. and Capitol police, and operational plans for the attack. They saw online posts by people who said they had put their last will and testament in order and told their children they were going to Washington, D.C., to defend the country and were willing, and expecting, to die for their cause.

How much more investigating do we really need here?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BiggerBoat posted:

Didn't see this posted yet

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-an-intel-analyst-tried-to-prevent-the-jan-6-attack-but-dhs-failed-to-act-190922453.html

Exclusive: An intel analyst tried to prevent the Jan. 6 attack — but DHS failed to act

How much more investigating do we really need here?

Enough to ensure convictions and long sentences.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Enough to ensure convictions and long sentences.
So much this.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
No truth and reconciliation possible with these insurgents

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

VitalSigns posted:

I uh, have some bad news for you. It's about all governmental positions since the beginning of time. You may want to take a seat...

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

We have also had federal judges who were raging alcoholics drunk on the bench while hearing cases, and we still don't remove them unless they become a news story.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rigel posted:

We have also had federal judges who were raging alcoholics drunk on the bench while hearing cases, and we still don't remove them unless they become a news story.

I've been something of a judge myself. It's not all that detrimental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rigel posted:

The first federal judge ever to be impeached fell into this exact category (he was also almost certainly mentally ill and self medicating with booze). Happened in 1804.