Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
mishima so fuckin good. im really glad i took that course on japanese history, was so worth it to be able to read all his books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm sorry that I didn't read the book with a Marxist-Leninist-Femininst lens, I clearly didn't understand a word of it.
I'm sorry if I was forcefully steering the discourse or bowling people over, and I wasn't anticipating that response as I haven't checked this thread out much. recommending ways of seeing wasn't meant as an endorsement of marxism beyond it being a useful critical lens in some contexts. It's a landmark show in the history of art education. And I certainly didn't mean to endorse leninism. feminism yes. I just thought that it might be a bridge to some of Tolstoy's ethical concerns and insight into people given the disposition of the forums. he's a deeply religious writer and that's a bit awkward to navigate too

I'm stepping out on this as I didn't mean to make more that that one initial post tbh

corn haver fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 15, 2022

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I endorse meninism.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
everyone should endorse marxism though

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

a.p. dent posted:

i liked Anna Karenina because i could picture everything that was happening, like a movie

Just watch a movie, saves a lot of time. You could watch several movies instead, even

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

derp posted:

mishima so fuckin good. im really glad i took that course on japanese history, was so worth it to be able to read all his books

Yeah, I've always been grateful for my Japanese lit classes from college, although I'm realizing now that I never read Spring Snow when it was assigned and that was a big idiot move. I did get to watch my professor read his Kenzaburo Oe fanfiction to the class, though!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

derp posted:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

derp posted:

it's so boring now

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
dammit, too many educated people in these threads. i never took any japanese history class, or any lit class of any kind. i just read books. you don't need education or excessive study to enjoy books, and im living proof. ive read 8 or 9 mishima novels he's probably my second favorite author and i know nothing about japan. just read the books.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

derp posted:

It's probably not the only way to understand or interpret literature, though. Unless nobody understood what stories and fiction meant before the 19th Century.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i feel like this thread has gotten stupid because nobody has mentioned that everyone should be reading Solenoid by Mircea Cartarescu, recently released in English translation by Sean Cotter and published by Deep Vellum and probably the best book of the last decade or so if you read this thread and like the good suggestions, but dislike the bad ones

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Cartarescu seems like one of those guys who has been on the verge of major international recognition for like 20 years despite his stuff coming out in translation at the not always comprehensible whims of a handful of editors. I loved the Blinding/Orbitor novels and what I've read of his early poetry, and it's very appealing that Solenoid & Melancolia sound like they're plugging away at the same questions his work has always grappled with and offering ever more nightmarish answers

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

It's probably not the only way to understand or interpret literature, though. Unless nobody understood what stories and fiction meant before the 19th Century.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that perhaps they didn’t, or at least that the meaning has changed. This is not limited to Marxism, though.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
solenoid is confirmed for good

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

lost in postation posted:

Cartarescu seems like one of those guys who has been on the verge of major international recognition for like 20 years despite his stuff coming out in translation at the not always comprehensible whims of a handful of editors. I loved the Blinding/Orbitor novels and what I've read of his early poetry, and it's very appealing that Solenoid & Melancolia sound like they're plugging away at the same questions his work has always grappled with and offering ever more nightmarish answers

if by 'international' you mean 'in america' then yeah, otherwise he's got tons of recognition and awards and huge fan base all around the world, and his books are translated into like 20 languages

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

derp posted:

if by 'international' you mean 'in america' then yeah, otherwise he's got tons of recognition and awards and huge fan base all around the world, and his books are translated into like 20 languages

I don't mean that at all since I'm French and I was thinking of the fact that his French translator has had to lobby 3 different publishers since the 90s so that his novels would keep coming out here despite universally rave reviews. I guess in the past 5-6 years or so he has been picking up a lot more steam

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
yeah ime as well he's pretty niche. niche and internationally recognized aren't mutually exclusive though. not sure about huge fan bases either but far from an expert. also glowing reviews don't necessarily mean economic success, and based on the page count of the three books of his i own, translators' fees are probably pretty high for what are likely purely image-building titles for a publishing house

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 15, 2022

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't know that guy since literalily I live in the 19th century. I'm reading Mirbeau who lost in postation recommended here like eight years ago

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Ras Het posted:

I don't know that guy since literalily I live in the 19th century. I'm reading Mirbeau who lost in postation recommended here like eight years ago

Oh cool I hope you like him! I've always enjoyed how prickly and ill-tempered and anti-everything his basic attitude to life and literature was

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

lost in postation posted:

I don't mean that at all since I'm French and I was thinking of the fact that his French translator has had to lobby 3 different publishers since the 90s so that his novels would keep coming out here despite universally rave reviews. I guess in the past 5-6 years or so he has been picking up a lot more steam

at least you got all of orbitor. in english we got only the first one, 10 years ago

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

we're getting solenoid next year up here in norway, but all of orbitor has alreasdy been translated though

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

has anyone read the moscoviad?

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Good books written by raging right wing nob heads please

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Idaholy Roller posted:

Honestly my favorite novels are written by the worst people. They're just baseline more interesting because their psychosis just bleeds through the writing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heath posted:

Honestly my favorite novels are written by the worst people. They're just baseline more interesting because their psychosis just bleeds through the writing

Same holds true for all mediums of art. You don't have to be an rear end in a top hat to make good art, but you do have to be a weirdo whose thought process is outside the norm. And those kind of people also tend to fall into political and social fringes and do things that are not morally correct.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

its nothing as fancy as the iconoclastic allure of the genius, it's just that most people throughout history who have had enough free time to get good at writing have that free time because they are independently wealthy, and therefore their interests are right wing interests

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Idaholy Roller posted:

tarr by wyndham lewis and pleasure by gabriele d'annunzio. lewis is one of the anglo american modernist fascists like pound, and d'annunzio set up a fascist city state whose consitution inspired mussolini. the books are cool too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CestMoi posted:

its nothing as fancy as the iconoclastic allure of the genius, it's just that most people throughout history who have had enough free time to get good at writing have that free time because they are independently wealthy, and therefore their interests are right wing interests

Then how does it hold equally true for Left Wing artists

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gaius Marius posted:

Then how does it hold equally true for Left Wing artists

Does it?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CestMoi posted:

i feel like this thread has gotten stupid because nobody has mentioned that everyone should be reading Solenoid by Mircea Cartarescu, recently released in English translation by Sean Cotter and published by Deep Vellum and probably the best book of the last decade or so if you read this thread and like the good suggestions, but dislike the bad ones

Saw this post while getting ready to run an errand in the neighbourhood, so I took the extra block to the local indy bookstore to see if they had Solenoid in, and if not I would order it through them. And they had at least two copies! Now one. :toot:

Dangerous place. Right below Solenoid's display was a wide range of Calvino's books, and to get there I had to walk past the new Cormac McCarthy novels. I could be so broke.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

CestMoi posted:

tarr by wyndham lewis and pleasure by gabriele d'annunzio. lewis is one of the anglo american modernist fascists like pound, and d'annunzio set up a fascist city state whose consitution inspired mussolini. the books are cool too

wow I got a fairly different impression of d'annunzio from Scurati's M. in regards to what Mussolini thought of him

I could easily have gotten that all wrong though

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

My impression of tarr is i should have read nietzsche before reading it, it's very much that kind of book

e: also cartarescu is v good but my copy of solenoid is yet to be delivered unto me

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Also Dostoevsky fits pretty neatly into the right wing nob head category, we’re just not trained to pick up on Slavophilia as a political category

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Thank you for the meme, forums poster. Please consider never doing it again and maybe shoving that horrid poo poo back up your arse

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jrbg posted:

Thank you for the meme, forums poster. Please consider never doing it again and maybe shoving that horrid poo poo back up your arse

especially since Henry IV, Part 1 is excellent and among my favourite of his plays.

But those Joans gotta stick together I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Really regretting not picking up Against the Day sooner, the first 50 pages have been the most fun I've had reading in years. The Chums of Chance, and the absolute mad lad Franz Ferdinand is some inspired poo poo.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Really regretting not picking up Against the Day sooner, the first 50 pages have been the most fun I've had reading in years. The Chums of Chance, and the absolute mad lad Franz Ferdinand is some inspired poo poo.

Oh boy are you in for a treat

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I love Against the Day, it's such a great idea for a book, especially in the giant hundreds-of-characters-with-excellent-names Pynchon style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i actually read moby dick for the first time today. immediately hooked, this is great