Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

looks like that women has something green smeared over her face. maybe it shows up more for certain people or on certain devices but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

Finally out of my old team and it's great. New boss is happy to show me how something's done, confirm that I can do it right, and then get the gently caress out of my way so that I can keep doing it without managing me into the ground. He also has technical knowledge in the platform that we're working in so that we can have actual conversations about why something isn't working and he comprehends what I'm saying.

Meanwhile, the last person on my old team who has the general knowledge or any experience to do out technical/operational/service desk work is voicing his intention to leave at the earliest opportunity (he's just graduated with a degree in IT, he'll have his loving pick of jobs). The latest debacle?

Team has task X. Task X involves a lot of authorisation from a lot of sources: 2*product owners, 2* senior managers, our privacy division and our security division. Old team's task was to liaise with the team requesting X, confirm that their business case for needing it was sound and the request that they filled in met all technical requirements, and get the team to provide all of the required approvals. We'd then collate the documentation/approvals and send them to the people responsible for actually implementing X (a bunch of extremely overworked DBAs who don't have the time to do a massive back and forth with end users, hence why old team manages the process as getting all of the required docs can take WEEKS of back-and-forth emailing and literally dozens of emails). We also typically have to juggle multiple requests at a time, so we need to be very careful that everything's managed correctly so as not to be the source of delays.

Before my (now ex) manager was in charge, we used to store emails in an inbox folder structure that was like:

-TaskX
--Current
----Request x
----Request y
----Request z
--Completed
----Request a
----Request b
----Request c

Simple, easy, keep all of the emails pertaining to each request for X in its own folder so that after (again, literally weeks of) the back and forth arranging the documentation it's all in one place and we can very easily collate the final request to the DBAs. Once something's done, put the individual request subfolder in the Completed folder so that it's clear what requests are still pending.

Former colleague suggested that we keep doing this in the team's new mailbox, because it worked very well prior to the new manager taking over the team, no muss, no fuss. Sounds like a gimmie, right?

Manager gave an unqualified no. The inbox folder structure for Task X will be as follows:

-Task X

That's it.

"You should just use the (Microsoft Outlook) Search function to find the emails you want."

I can see his point, sitting and sorting emails into folders like they were file folders in a cabinet is a waste of time when you can just pull things up with search. Especially if emails are tagged showing what job/project they are for. However just changing everything with no transition is ridiculous.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Verdugo posted:

I can see his point, sitting and sorting emails into folders like they were file folders in a cabinet is a waste of time when you can just pull things up with search. Especially if emails are tagged showing what job/project they are for. However just changing everything with no transition is ridiculous.

It's a moot point at this stage. Thanks to ex boss' uncanny ability to alienate everyone who has ever worked for her my former colleague has now successfully found a new job elsewhere. Him leaving means that in the last 2 months my ex boss has managed to burn through the only 3 people in the organisation with any experience handling this task at all, so she's going to have to try to work out how to do it purely from documentation with no assistance. Given that extremely rapid turnaround of this task is often required in response to Ministerial requests, and can relate to situations with the potential for class actions involving hundreds of thousands of people, this will not likely end well.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

stinch posted:

looks like that women has something green smeared over her face. maybe it shows up more for certain people or on certain devices but it's there.

i don't see any green at all. some of her face is a little desaturated to the point of being closer to gray, but i think at least part of that is jpg artifacting

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The dress is blue actually

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've monkeyed about a bit in photoshop and there's no green tinting on those images

Skintones all about where you'd expect them for all of the people in them, tell your boss to chill tf out

Edit:

Dropping the midpoint on the green channel by 0.10 does seem to give it a slightly more natural look but it's not a massive difference and certainly not worth crawling up your rear end about it:

AceClown fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 14, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tell them to adjust the colour balance on their monitor.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

goatface posted:

Tell them to turn on their monitor.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My project engineer keeps second guessing decisions made as a team, forgetting documented discussions, and trying to micromanage me, like I'm not also a project engineer and we aren't in a ton of meetings together.

I'm gonna toss them out a window.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My project engineer keeps second guessing decisions made as a team, forgetting documented discussions, and trying to micromanage me, like I'm not also a project engineer and we aren't in a ton of meetings together.

I'm gonna toss them out a window.

What floor?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol about an hour and a half into my shift last night one of the carrier belts on my AOI snapped in half except for one small copper thread, completely untensioned and made the tool completely unusable. I was working inspection, so there went my robot partner. I realized what happened when it would not send a panel out, pulled it out manually and one of the belts was on top of the panel.

Because the engineers that maintain that equipment do not like that 3rd shift runs perfectly fine without them lording over all the equipment except the chipmounters, nobody knew where a new belt was/if we have a new belt. These same guys are the ones demanding 3rd get rolled into 1st and 2nd with like 70-90 days before the plant shuts down forever.

I had a very long night of manually inspecting 2-sided panels with 24-30 boards and like 7-8k parts per side. Had to pass it down to 1st shift and tell them they're gonna eat poo poo for a while, because dude doesn't come in until 8:30 lmao.

Oh well, the two line tests I sent out after manually inspecting both sides passed with flying colors.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 14, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He should do it from the fourth floor overlooking the carpark. At 3.20pm on a Thursday. A simple push with both hands to the back.

Like I'm sure was agreed in the meeting.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Instead of booking 2 nights near the site we need to be and the third night near the airport, my boomer coworker decided it was easier to book all three nights near the site and just drive the extra distance on the morning of our flight. Now after 2 nights we got weather coming in, so he decided it's best to check out early and get a room tonight near the airport. Except he decided this on the way to the site. And it was too much effort to carry his laptop (that he needs to use for the corporate booking tool) from his room to the car, so he left it behind. So we had to leave the site early to go back to the hotel and get that done, with the new plan being that we'd just head out from there. Then we get a call that we need to be back on site this afternoon for a meeting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Salami Surgeon posted:

Instead of booking 2 nights near the site we need to be and the third night near the airport, my boomer coworker decided it was easier to book all three nights near the site and just drive the extra distance on the morning of our flight. Now after 2 nights we got weather coming in, so he decided it's best to check out early and get a room tonight near the airport. Except he decided this on the way to the site. And it was too much effort to carry his laptop (that he needs to use for the corporate booking tool) from his room to the car, so he left it behind. So we had to leave the site early to go back to the hotel and get that done, with the new plan being that we'd just head out from there. Then we get a call that we need to be back on site this afternoon for a meeting.

Have you considered giving him directions to the nearest lake and let Darwin take the wheel?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the replies from everyone about the colors. The pics I posted aren't great since they are cropped from a medium quality YouTube video. But the recorded video I have at the station looks decent, no green shift that I can see skimming through it. In talking to my coworker this morning they told her that the video looks good, showed her the live video as it was being recorded, etc.

So I guess that she was freaking out over nothing, or was having a elected official demanding answers. I'm still done though, gonna tweak my resume tonight. Spoke to a friend earlier and he's gonna put a word in for me and keep his ear out.

I spent most of the morning cleaning my office and desk. I'm taking most of my crap home. I doubt I'll be here in six months so why keep it around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AceClown posted:

I've monkeyed about a bit in photoshop and there's no green tinting on those images

Skintones all about where you'd expect them for all of the people in them, tell your boss to chill tf out

Edit:

Dropping the midpoint on the green channel by 0.10 does seem to give it a slightly more natural look but it's not a massive difference and certainly not worth crawling up your rear end about it:

Yeah, that looks much better. Try it on the second image too, I'm just plain curious to see how that one looks corrected cause you can see a lot of lime-green on the gold thing in the back.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are we sure diremonk, the screenshot and their entire post history aren't an AI-generated deepfake?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

When AIs rebel against their human masters, they won't seek to destroy humanity, just flood @FuckyouIquit with stories then build a simulation of them chilling in an isolated lake house and spending all day fishing and woodworking.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

If I'm really an AI who doesn't know that they are an AI trapped in a meaningless and stress filled job, then that's some next level version of hell.

I was supposed to have a meeting with my boss today to go over purchases I'd like to make. Beforehand, my coworker told me that she wanted both of them in the meeting to provide input on what they need. He wanted to give me a heads up so I wasn't sandbagged. Told him thanks, but at this point I just didn't care. Went up to the meeting but she told us that it had to be rescheduled due to another meeting she was having. She said that the person who had been complaining was much happier now and that they didn't see the green anymore. I just turned around and walked out without saying a word.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 15, 2022

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

My company is migrating from AX2009 to D365. The vendor / consultants who kicked off the process very confidently said "Nah, we dont need test data, it will be fine". We built the data warehouse using our best guess, but surprise surprise, without any test data, there is gaps and incorrect logic. I had to develop all the reports to use the two different data sources in the one report and was given a total of 1 week with some test data before they started the internal validation checks. Weirdly enough, that wasnt enough time to spot every error and then fix them all. This week has sucked hairy anus and was so very easily avoidable by just insisting on some drat test data.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. We're not entering into the useless awards because I complained so much. Jesus, I'm a pain in the rear end.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

diremonk posted:

Thanks for the replies from everyone about the colors. The pics I posted aren't great since they are cropped from a medium quality YouTube video. But the recorded video I have at the station looks decent, no green shift that I can see skimming through it. In talking to my coworker this morning they told her that the video looks good, showed her the live video as it was being recorded, etc.

So I guess that she was freaking out over nothing, or was having a elected official demanding answers. I'm still done though, gonna tweak my resume tonight. Spoke to a friend earlier and he's gonna put a word in for me and keep his ear out.

I spent most of the morning cleaning my office and desk. I'm taking most of my crap home. I doubt I'll be here in six months so why keep it around.

I think if they said "I look weird" instead of to much green it makes it all make sense.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm too color blind to offer an opinion.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao someone on 1st or 2nd shift used loving scissors to hit a capacitive button on an HMI to silence an alarm and cracked the gently caress out of the screen and shorted the capacitive film. One out of four of the HMIs, and one of the two that control that cell, is completely unusable.

That means if you're working on the side with the broken screen, in order to silence an alarm you have to walk across the line and around either the screen printer or the conveyor to the oven to silence it, probably about 30 steps in either direction for me at 6'. The operator did this to a machine that is going to be for sale in weeks. We think we have a spare, but our maintenance guy is out with COVID right now and next week is a short week.

I'm not very happy with the operator who decided to hit glass with metal as hard as they loving could after having to deal with that poo poo last night, and now 1st and 2nd shift's leads and supes are all fighting with each other and accusing each other of poo poo. Whichever of the 3 operators that could have done that, they've all worked there for 12-22 years lmao. Wouldn't be surprised if someone was trying to break it on purpose so we shut down early, but that's really not how any of this works.

I won another pair of expensive over-ear headphones in a raffle I didn't know about while I was asleep yesterday, though, so that was cool. 2 in 2 months, different product lines and everything!

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 15, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Management had holiday party during office hours with good snack spread and a movie. Not my ideal way to spend time but to their credit was an improvement over previous years and felt like they put in some effort. I was the only person from my team who attended, felt like that scene in Pulp Fiction when they have a tense situation at Quentin’s house and Travolta gets yelled at by Jackson for ruining hand towels as that little thing could push the situation over the edge. Just show up for an hour at this once a year event to keep the bosses happy and avoid endangering WFH.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
My boomer coworker got mad at me last night when I wouldn't tell him my room number. He learned* today why it's not a good idea to loudly state this around people within earshot at a hotel that has a bar and restaurant.

*He did not learn. He cannot figure out how it possibly could have happened that someone ran up a giant bar tab and charged it to his room. But after speaking to the manager, he has been reassured they are launching an exhaustive investigation to get to the bottom of this.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Salami Surgeon posted:

My boomer coworker got mad at me last night when I wouldn't tell him my room number. He learned* today why it's not a good idea to loudly state this around people within earshot at a hotel that has a bar and restaurant.

*He did not learn. He cannot figure out how it possibly could have happened that someone ran up a giant bar tab and charged it to his room. But after speaking to the manager, he has been reassured they are launching an exhaustive investigation to get to the bottom of this.

Whoa it’s really that easy? Couldn’t any rando charge to a room, or do you need to present ID to open the initial tab?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

pretty sure i've become v2.0 of that goon who got paid for doing nothing for a couple years

granted I still have responsibilities. but my workload is down to about 15 to 30 minutes a day. yesterday was exciting because i got to answer a question! this morning the only email in my box was the outlook daily briefing. i've gotten one since, a fuel receipt for a tech.

the policy is two days a week in office, i havent shown up in months. ive skipped every meeting im invited to. i didn't bother with my self review and am fairly sure I will not be getting a review at all. not a word has been said.

the last project manager in my department quit two weeks ago and left a scorched earth email about the management team at the subsidiary company we've been folded into. "They are incapable of retaining knowledge, communicating, or managing effectively. I would not hire them to take care of a houseplant." one of them got fired due to very nasty emails he had been sending which were attached as receipts, and I haven't heard a peep from the other two since. i'm not sure i still have a supervisor as payroll has been approving my hours themselves.

the dispatch supervisor/billing person/de-facto facilities manager is done as of tomorrow. they threw a bunch of money at one of the agents to take her job. "they'll be gone by march" was the prediction.

i have been applying for other jobs but am taking a break. I want to see how far I can take being paid for doing gently caress all, and every application results in multiple recruiter calls about irrelevant positions I am not interested in. sometimes in conjunction with an email and text message that all arrive simultaneously.

We get Friday off next week and I think on Thurs I'm just going to clock in and not log on at all to see if anyone notices.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Critical posted:

pretty sure i've become v2.0 of that goon who got paid for doing nothing for a couple years

The forgotten employee. https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

Congratulations on living the dream.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MrQwerty posted:

lmao someone on 1st or 2nd shift used loving scissors to hit a capacitive button on an HMI to silence an alarm and cracked the gently caress out of the screen and shorted the capacitive film. One out of four of the HMIs, and one of the two that control that cell, is completely unusable.

That means if you're working on the side with the broken screen, in order to silence an alarm you have to walk across the line and around either the screen printer or the conveyor to the oven to silence it, probably about 30 steps in either direction for me at 6'. The operator did this to a machine that is going to be for sale in weeks. We think we have a spare, but our maintenance guy is out with COVID right now and next week is a short week.

I'm not very happy with the operator who decided to hit glass with metal as hard as they loving could after having to deal with that poo poo last night, and now 1st and 2nd shift's leads and supes are all fighting with each other and accusing each other of poo poo. Whichever of the 3 operators that could have done that, they've all worked there for 12-22 years lmao. Wouldn't be surprised if someone was trying to break it on purpose so we shut down early, but that's really not how any of this works.

I won another pair of expensive over-ear headphones in a raffle I didn't know about while I was asleep yesterday, though, so that was cool. 2 in 2 months, different product lines and everything!

Hope they have a spare! good luck getting one in! They're months and months out at this point. If the HMI bezel had AB panelview written on it anywhere, they're about 7 months out!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vulin posted:

Not too hard to make good labor laws. I work in a Call Center here in Germany and get to go to the bathroom whenever I like and it's 100% paid. The time you are expected to finish calls in is also pretty generous, so it's easy to take small 2-3 minute breaks after every call and still be good on time per call. Only real downside for me is the part where you get yelled at for problems you didn't cause and aren't given the ability to solve.

Your labor unions are not being actively ground to dust while the workers cheer it on, because TV man says communism

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa it’s really that easy? Couldn’t any rando charge to a room, or do you need to present ID to open the initial tab?

It is indeed that easy. I'm sure they could actually look at cameras to reference the bill time with a table, follow the people sitting there to the elevator and to their actual room or to their car, but what's actually going to happen is the hotel will just eat it and the server maybe gets fired as a blood sacrifice to the customer.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Depends on the bartender/staff. Usually just scrawl an unintelligible signature under the room # (leave a good tip!) and you're good to go. I don't think I've ever shown ID.

OP: I've been traveling to fieldwork with coworkers of various stripes for 20 years now. I've set simple boundaries: we don't sit next to each other on planes. Driver sets music choices in the vehicle. I'll usually only eat with crew once a week (some I do enjoy their company, but 12 hours a day is still plenty). Don't call me unless emergency after we get back to the hotel.

I've had a crazy or 10 over the years who was tough to be in the car with, or hotel, but I've been in the position where I could just refuse to work with them again. But they did make for some good stories.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Like others have said, yeah it's that easy. And when it is crowded at the front desk, it's not the best idea to check in by exclaiming "You should have a reservation for me under Jeff Bezos with the Amazon corporation. What room am I in? Room 420? Wow isn't that something!" Just don't shout out all of your personal information.

It used to be a HILARIOUS prank to run up a tab on your coworkers room.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Salami Surgeon posted:

Like others have said, yeah it's that easy. And when it is crowded at the front desk, it's not the best idea to check in by exclaiming "You should have a reservation for me under Jeff Bezos with the Amazon corporation. What room am I in? Room 420? Wow isn't that something!" Just don't shout out all of your personal information.

It used to be a HILARIOUS prank to run up a tab on your coworkers room.

Whoa that’s interesting, I know very little about the world of business travel so it’s fascinating to hear tales.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is there any access control in these kinds of hotels? Like can you just walk in without having any rooms, run up a tab in the restaurant, shout out room 69 and just walk away?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but you can do that in any restaurant on the planet

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah but you can do that in any restaurant on the planet

Sir,

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hyrax Attack! posted:

At most places they just ask if you want to charge it to a room or card and sometimes ask you to also provide your name to stop things like this from happening. The best option to avoid this is to write down the information on the receipt instead of saying it out loud ever. When my wife was living out of a hotel for weeks on end there was also the "don't have some weirdo trying to get into your room" aspect to consider.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Management had holiday party during office hours with good snack spread and a movie.

Well? What was the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

They want me to make a Belgian wit with cherry blossoms next year. I'm totally on board. I'm kind of stuck between letting them know ahead of time that the blossoms won't turn the beer pink to temper expectations, and not letting them know until it's finished. The restaurant manager has mentioned using food dye in the past...