Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

IG-88 posted:

Hey folks,

I've built a couple HG kits and am itching for something new.

What do you think would be a better idea?

A 4 GameStop clearance 1/144 kits I can get for about $82

or do I spring for:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby...pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

I'm a sucker for Purple and Pink.

I'm very new to this whole thing so if you have better suggestions on where to shop, I'm all ears.

This is a huge spreadsheet with just about every good gunpla seller on it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y55CAtwcmF9_77OOSxXKHQYI6HTchBmSvXA9y-ac894/edit#gid=78380482

Newtype, GundamPlaceStore, GundamShoppersNetwork, and Gunnzo are a couple of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

god gently caress i'm gonna have to

Yeah, that and the Destiny Impulse. Gonna be some bad timing.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What is it about that grainy white plastic that makes knife cleanup so reliable, and why can’t they do that with all of their styrene parts?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I'm really not usually a g-unit person but Mercurius and Vayeate Suivant are looking pretty good... bummed I missed Leo-S

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

boz posted:

This is a huge spreadsheet with just about every good gunpla seller on it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y55CAtwcmF9_77OOSxXKHQYI6HTchBmSvXA9y-ac894/edit#gid=78380482

Newtype, GundamPlaceStore, GundamShoppersNetwork, and Gunnzo are a couple of my favorites.

whoa this is awesome, thank you. a couple shops in my state i hadn't heard of! bookmarked

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

finally, my brain

Haven't done anything but take a look in the box but the instructions are big, clear and full colour by the look of things so that's nice

Oooooh! I've been looking at those off-and-on, let the thread know how they turn out.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Well poo poo. I think I want this dude.

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2464717001005

Edit: Lol it’s out of stock now. It was up since 12/23 but went out of stock in the last 10 minutes

Edit 2: It let me process an order??? Was it the last one in stock??? It’s a mystery

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 15, 2022

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Here's a hot tip I've recently discovered when it comes to cleaning your sanding tools and making them last longer. A little while ago we briefly talked about scrubbing them with a toothbrush and some water which will indeed have an effect but the real game changers are actually rubbers for cleaning sanding belts/discs.

Peep this sanding sponge...

It has seen some work and is nearing the end if its life. I can't stop that but I sure can make it last a little while longer. Notice how it's all gunked up from use during a build session that night.

That's quite a different look imo. It also takes next to no effort to clean this way. Just rub it over your sanding tool of choice a few times and there you go. Might have to clean a few specks of rubber/dirt every now and then but that's literally it. Kinda blew my mind how good this works tbh. I bought my rubber stick for a little over three bucks and most big tool retailers should have something similar in their sanding gear isle. Give it a try!

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

IG-88 posted:

Well poo poo. I think I want this dude.

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2464717001005

Edit: Lol it’s out of stock now. It was up since 12/23 but went out of stock in the last 10 minutes

Edit 2: It let me process an order??? Was it the last one in stock??? It’s a mystery

I cancelled my order after I looked up how flimsy the legs and backpack were

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
gently caress, I just ordered an HG Alteisen and looks like it was stolen from my building's mail area in the 30 minutes or so between delivery and my getting home. FedEx seem to have claimed I signed for it so maybe I can argue my way to a refund through them, although https://www.kikatek.com/ are blameless, they seem pretty good and had the kit maybe £10 cheaper than Forbidden Planet. Was the last one so I guess I'm going to see if FP have any left tomorrow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

gently caress, I just ordered an HG Alteisen and looks like it was stolen from my building's mail area in the 30 minutes or so between delivery and my getting home. FedEx seem to have claimed I signed for it so maybe I can argue my way to a refund through them, although https://www.kikatek.com/ are blameless, they seem pretty good and had the kit maybe £10 cheaper than Forbidden Planet. Was the last one so I guess I'm going to see if FP have any left tomorrow.

I had FedEx claim I signed for a P-Bandai package once, and it didn't show up until several days later. If you get in touch with them, you still might recover the order.

Don't know what happened to me, and I don't know what happened to you, but it's possible it wasn't stolen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GOT THE ROSE!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I lost a $600 order to FedEx incompetence and they never did a drat thing to set it right, though Bandai did (grudgingly) replace all the items. So, good luck with that.

And LOL, that HG Rose was gone within minutes. Why the hell did they bump the maximum order back up to five?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Bimmi posted:

I lost a $600 order to FedEx incompetence and they never did a drat thing to set it right, though Bandai did (grudgingly) replace all the items. So, good luck with that.

And LOL, that HG Rose was gone within minutes. Why the hell did they bump the maximum order back up to five?

FedEx did that with my first P-Bandai order. Said they delivered it and that I signed for it. I was home at the time of the supposed delivery with a clear view of the porch, so I know that was BS. Bandai replaced the items with extra stock from Japan (they were lacking the BlueFin stickers)...but then two of the replacements were destroyed in transit to the US so they just ended up refunding me for those two. I ended up getting the Wings of Light for the MG V2, but no kit to go with it :P

I've also had FedEx claim a package was signed by a "Mr. F. Door." and had a package refused delivery due to "animal interference" because my neighbor's fluffy cat was on my porch.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

GOT THE ROSE!

What’s the best place to find out upcoming releases? That Rose looks awesome.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

IG-88 posted:

What’s the best place to find out upcoming releases? That Rose looks awesome.

I usually use Gundam Kits Collection.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I generally get my Gunpla news from various Twitter accounts and Discord servers, but if you sign up for Premium Bandai, you can subscribe to email newsletters telling you about upcoming releases, and even specify by line/franchise.

Also I just realized I could have gotten a coupon for free shipping, alas

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Cool, thanks folks

drat, now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t have bought that one earlier. The review I watched on YouTube seemed okay? I’d probably just pose it once and leave it that way.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice MG kit with mostly purple colors? I’d like something bigger than 1/144.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

IG-88 posted:

Cool, thanks folks

drat, now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t have bought that one earlier. The review I watched on YouTube seemed okay? I’d probably just pose it once and leave it that way.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice MG kit with mostly purple colors? I’d like something bigger than 1/144.

Dom and Rick-Dom just got updated MGs recently.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

IG-88 posted:

Cool, thanks folks

The Re-GZ Custom? It's a good kit. A little dated, being base on an older MG, but it's fun and has a nice transformation. The joints on mine are stable, as is the backpack. The knees look a little wonky since they're way thinner than any other part of the leg, but they hold the weight fine. You may want to use an Action Base since it can be a bit back heavy.

As for other purple lads, there's the two Dom Renewals and the Black Tri-Stars Zaku II. P-Bandai reissues F-90 stuff a lot, so there's always the F-90 Unit 2.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

IG-88 posted:

Cool, thanks folks

Well, there's Gaelio's stuff for non-MGs in 1/100 scale. The Kimaris, Kimaris Trooper, and his Schwalbe Graze (but that's P-Bandai, so it'll be hard to get) are all alright enough from what I've seen. Not great, but very purple. There's also a Zaku II 2.0 for the Tri-Stars, and (as mentioned) the Doms.

Not the longest list, but purple is a harder color to find in MG scale.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Made the mistake of touching this one partsformer kit I have, thinking I wouldn't suffer any consequences. Honestly considering just throwing the pieces out, it's so loving bad just because of one part.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

As far as I can tell Bandai does not offer some form of plugs for the 3mm holes in their 30 MM line, right? I know that there are various sets of extra armor/bits but I would like to just have some dang covers for the holes I don't want to attach anything too.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Tin Tim posted:

As far as I can tell Bandai does not offer some form of plugs for the 3mm holes in their 30 MM line, right? I know that there are various sets of extra armor/bits but I would like to just have some dang covers for the holes I don't want to attach anything too.

Phone posting and can't find the link, but I'm pretty sure they announced an upcoming set of hole plugs available in a couple of colors.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Well, I ordered the two Doms and this guy:

https://newtype.us/p/mRTY0ytDmrDduBUrECKk/h/mg-ms-06r-1a-black-tri-stars-zaku-ii-ver-20

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
we can go purpler. we have the technology.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

oh you motherfucker, it's out of stock

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
"Paint everything purple," I rasp from the swamp in which I and my air compressor dwell.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

grassy gnoll posted:

"Paint everything purple," I rasp from the swamp in which I and my air compressor dwell.

Wait a second… you might have a point there…

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Phone posting and can't find the link, but I'm pretty sure they announced an upcoming set of hole plugs available in a couple of colors.
Both of these things are good

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IG-88 posted:

oh you motherfucker, it's out of stock

It's an old kit that hasn't been made for a few years but it's probably coming due for a rerun.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Hooray! You said you're relatively new to gunpla, right?

Hey guys! He gets to learn about the pipes! :sickos:

The 2.0 Zakus are wonderful kits, though. I'm still surprised we've never gotten a Zaku I out of that mold.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

The orange pipes? I did a 1/144 I had to finagle into the backpack. Wasn’t awful! 😬

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IG-88 posted:

The orange pipes? I did a 1/144 I had to finagle into the backpack. Wasn’t awful! 😬

MG Zaku pipes are infamous because you have to pinch every little exterior pipe segment very tightly to move them onto the interior piece of plastic that shapes the pipe run. Take breaks, it's very easy to wear your hands out on them. The manual has you simply pushing all the exterior segments onto the interior part in one shot but I've never seen anyone make that happen.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Hey, you can also apply that to life too tbh

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hey, you can also apply that to life too tbh

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

grassy gnoll posted:

I'll be sure to post my MG Hi Nu when (if) it's ever done!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Was double checking what all the Rose is gonna come with and it reminded me that I should probably invest in a couple Action Bases for my kits next year since my new place is going to actually have adequate room for a display case.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Welp, ordered the RG Destiny Impulse yesterday, so naturally the gods decided to have my RG Freedom GCP come in the mail today, so I must pose them against each other eventually

Also lmao, the Rose sold out so drat fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

P-Bandai just posted the must-have accessory of the season:
https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2672761001001?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=auto_retention