Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ash's mom, for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wouldn't that be a pokemon eating a human?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Icedude posted:

If you don't have a paid pokédex subscription the pokéballs play adverts.

Not to you, to your pokémon. While they're trapped in the balls.

That's what the badges and controlling pokemon up to a certain level really means. The badges reduce the number of ads.

You stuff a level 5 fire lizard in a ball and keep it there for days on end, watching hours of ads, it might not revolt.

But a level 80 dragon, they aren't going to listen to someone who makes them watch Hulu while ads for MailMankey run every 5 minutes.

Separately, Professor Oak's explanation of the Pokedex is bullshit.

He claims that the pokedex is his invention, that he just finished, but he's too old to go out and scan things and fill it with information on EVERY POKEMON, so he tasks you and his grandson to go do it.

Except, every single pokemon you ever encounter is already documented in the system. Even the literal "Legendary, this creature was only talked about in myth and one hasn't been seen in over 500 years", animals.

Oh, that bird made of lightning, yeah, I know what that is. Here's it's scientific name, A/S/L, foot shape, favorite food and astrological sign.

Then what the gently caress am I going on safari for? You have the data, just let me battle old man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think I could eat a really dumb one like a magikarp, but you know there's folks out there who secretly dine on Mr. Mimes

The whole lore of Farfetch'd is that it was eaten to near extinction. Farfetch'd doesn't look dumb to me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think I could eat a really dumb one like a magikarp, but you know there's folks out there who secretly dine on Mr. Mimes

I have a post for you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The kind of stuff :stonklol: was made for

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

moosecow333 posted:

I always liked to think of Pokeballs as mini-apartments with the higher quality ones being nicer places. The Master Ball has a huge tv, sound system, and a pool that will immediately pacify any Pokémon, but those small-big tvs are very expensive to make so there aren’t that many.

Artist's rendition, and a gallery with each individual one

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Also, actual content. Risk of Rain 2 has items you pick up appear on your character, so a proper collection gets you covered in stuff quickly. That's not a little thing though, it was a selling point for the game. The little thing is that when you pick an item up it highlights where on your character the item appears, which is especially nice if you are using a non-humanoid character, like the robots or big wet poison dog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jokes posted:

Kind of hosed up that the pokemon is forever bound to the pokeball they were caught in and you can't upgrade them then.

Truthfully I always thought the pokeball itself doesn't matter and it's just an ad-hoc way of quickly accessing the greater pokemon storage network which is the warp from 40k, and the pokemon are just cute chaos demons

Honestly this is probably closer to the truth than you'd think, especially given the implications that Pokemon exclusively can access extradimensional storage and be teleported in ways humans explicitly cannot. Like, teleportation for humans DOES exist but you either need a Pokemon to bring you along or access some base/gym gimmick that's probably wired and a huge power hog. (and also sends you spinning into the air and thus probably makes you sick)

Either that or they're actually secretly Digimon all along.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

This still leaves questions about Mr. Rime, the most horrifying Pokémon ever created.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:actually: Magikarp isn't even good eating, because it's that pathetic.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly this is probably closer to the truth than you'd think, especially given the implications that Pokemon exclusively can access extradimensional storage and be teleported in ways humans explicitly cannot. Like, teleportation for humans DOES exist but you either need a Pokemon to bring you along or access some base/gym gimmick that's probably wired and a huge power hog. (and also sends you spinning into the air and thus probably makes you sick)

Either that or they're actually secretly Digimon all along.

What about escape ropes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

bewilderment posted:

There's an easy answer and that it's just binning, the same way companies make storage and RAM.
You know how that works right? Like, every attempt to make a stick of ram is a 64GB stick.
But most of them have a transistor fail or whatever. So they have a couple more get disabled and they're thrown in the 32GB bin.
Then, oh, a lot of these 32GB sticks are only good for 16GB.
16GB? Most of these are just 8 GB sticks.

and so on.

Every Pokeball is a failed MasterBall.

wait what the gently caress

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

:actually: Magikarp isn't even good eating, because it's that pathetic.

I think that’s just an anime thing, the games mention how Magikarp are easy prey for other Pokémon and increase their lifespans because they suddenly jump out of the water for like no reason.

Part of me thinks the anime making them unpalatable was funnier but the reality where those stupid moron fish aren’t being culled by their own suicidal tendencies is one where the laser beam sea serpents are mass breeding and not just the handful that made it to level 20 which seems kind of horrifying.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cleretic posted:

The whole lore of Farfetch'd is that it was eaten to near extinction. Farfetch'd doesn't look dumb to me.

It's true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrd128i8YGI

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lol, of course the penultimate boss in Dead to Rights 2 is a Helicopter. What else from a mid-2000s action game?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

In general I'm surprised at how few games try and invert the dynamic by giving bonuses for maintenance rather than penalties for a lack thereof. Though admittedly I feel like that "one game design trick" has much shakier legs than people think. Only game off the top of my head is Monster Hunter with its whetstone/sharpening, and even then I'm not sure if it's anything but durability by a different name.

What Monster Hunter does differently than most games is having durability not last a whole fight. In MH you're asking "do I have a window to sharpen now?" rather than "Oh I'm in town better head over the the blacksmith and repair my stuff"

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Qwertycoatl posted:

What Monster Hunter does differently than most games is having durability not last a whole fight. In MH you're asking "do I have a window to sharpen now?" rather than "Oh I'm in town better head over the the blacksmith and repair my stuff"

Yeah, MH it's part of the ebb and flow of an extended long fight rather than just a meter for when you have to stop playing with your friends and go home. Also in Rise and World the hitboxes are good enough that kneeling to sharpen can dodge certain attacks.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Dec 17, 2022

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's also not a binary "weapon work / weapon broke", weapons have different sharpness levels and different durabilities on each sharpness levels, and higher sharpness deals extra damage and has higher armor piercing.
So you can take a weapon with high sharpness levels which drops fast, that does higher damage but needs to be sharpened regularly in battle to keep that advantage, or you take a weapon with lower but "longer" sharpness bars that keeps its damage level for longer without having to whip out a whetstone.

Basically Monster Hunter is the only game to not treat weapon durability as an afterthought, a menial annoyance or a time tax.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I got my first completely flawless run of a mission in X-Morph, and it was Australia, a mission I used to think of as very difficult.

Turns out that thumpers, something I'd previously dismissed as pretty useless, can actually be incredibly strong in the right situation! I love it when I feel like a game presents no truly useless options, just specialized ones.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

It's also not a binary "weapon work / weapon broke", weapons have different sharpness levels and different durabilities on each sharpness levels, and higher sharpness deals extra damage and has higher armor piercing.
So you can take a weapon with high sharpness levels which drops fast, that does higher damage but needs to be sharpened regularly in battle to keep that advantage, or you take a weapon with lower but "longer" sharpness bars that keeps its damage level for longer without having to whip out a whetstone.

Basically Monster Hunter is the only game to not treat weapon durability as an afterthought, a menial annoyance or a time tax.

I love reloading my guitar while a dragon screams at me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I think that’s just an anime thing, the games mention how Magikarp are easy prey for other Pokémon and increase their lifespans because they suddenly jump out of the water for like no reason.

Part of me thinks the anime making them unpalatable was funnier but the reality where those stupid moron fish aren’t being culled by their own suicidal tendencies is one where the laser beam sea serpents are mass breeding and not just the handful that made it to level 20 which seems kind of horrifying.

The anime especially in the Orange Islands arc has a running gag where there's fuckloads of laser beam sea serpents, and usually messing with Team Rocket.

And one episode where an extremely buff, tanned, kayaking island veterinarian Nurse Joy is bffs with a Magikarp who has grown to the size of Team Rocket's pedal-powered novelty Magikarp submarine. That is, about the size of a small boat. And then it evolves into a Kaiju-sized Gyarados.

RareAcumen posted:

I love reloading my guitar while a dragon screams at me

I have no idea how to tell if this is sarcasm, because it is extremely metal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

To be fair, there was originally all of ONE in the entire Kanto region... :ohdear:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
They do come with their own garnish

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Something I recently learned: this is literally the entire driving point of the design. Farfetch'd is based on a Japanese proverb that literally translates to 'a duck comes bearing spring onions'; essentially that a duck comes with all the ingredients needed to cook it into a dish. It's a term used to describe a perfect target.

Farfetch'd was literally designed to be the most obviously ready-to-eat thing in the world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC Farfetch'd is based on a Japanese expression that's something like 'a duck holding a leek', which is meant to refer to something like an opportunity for an easy gain, or a sucker waiting to be fleeced. It does have terrible stats (til Sword/Shield gave it an evo) and is acquired through a trade that's meant to implicitly be not in your favour in-game.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

That's literally the joke, yeah.

e; f, b

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
On the subject of Pokémon, one of the other funny ones is Stantler, a deer with weirdass horns that look like eyes meant to intimidate things, because the Japanese word for scarecrow-type things is literally “deer scarer”. Also Ampharos getting a dragon mega evolution because part of its Japanese name sounds like the word for dragon.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I will never forgive them for abandoning the plans to give Raichu an evolution into a thunder god monster to instead make Pichu.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have no idea how to tell if this is sarcasm, because it is extremely metal.

Well if you don't keep them sharp, they bounce off when you hit any notable monster and are just unusable in all honesty, so what is sharpening a harp or hammer or any other melee weapon but reloading them too?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Well if you don't keep them sharp, they bounce off when you hit any notable monster and are just unusable in all honesty, so what is sharpening a harp or hammer or any other melee weapon but reloading them too?

It's just a fact!
Sometimes you need to sharpen your hammer with a fish.
Otherwise the hammer will bounce off the giant blowfish monster.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You have to sharpen your Hunting Horn or otherwise it’ll be flat. :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bussamove posted:

You have to sharpen your Hunting Horn or otherwise it’ll be flat. :v:

Is there a tool I can use, or do I have to use my hand?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Philippe posted:

Is there a tool I can use, or do I have to use my hand?

Use your hand in a firm manner, and don't forget to blow it regularly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Farfetch'd is based on a Japanese expression that's something like 'a duck holding a leek', which is meant to refer to something like an opportunity for an easy gain, or a sucker waiting to be fleeced.

Then they shouldn't be nearly extinct since there's one born every minute.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

On the subject of Pokémon, one of the other funny ones is Stantler, a deer with weirdass horns that look like eyes meant to intimidate things, because the Japanese word for scarecrow-type things is literally “deer scarer”. Also Ampharos getting a dragon mega evolution because part of its Japanese name sounds like the word for dragon.

A deer scare is specifically the bamboo tubing contraption in Japanese gardens that goes 'doink'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deer scares are what they call it when you nearly crash into one and wreck your car

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A deer scare is specifically the bamboo tubing contraption in Japanese gardens that goes 'doink'

Those things own

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BioEnchanted posted:

Lol, of course the penultimate boss in Dead to Rights 2 is a Helicopter. What else from a mid-2000s action game?

Let's not forget you destroy it by siccing the dog on it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I only learned those exist a couple years ago, thanks to Animal Crossing. And since they use up common junk items to craft, my island was extremely terrifying to deer for a while afterwards.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Wait, THAT is what gyroids are for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

I only learned those exist a couple years ago, thanks to Animal Crossing. And since they use up common junk items to craft, my island was extremely terrifying to deer for a while afterwards.

Did you have any deer villagers?