Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Just wait until ai artwork advances to ai animation and post the text of the whole series into a prompt and crash several AWS warehouses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prompt: 15th C, coats, braids, tsunderes male and female, gripping battle scenes, women are like this men are like that, skirt smoo-

*website explodes*

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Prompt: 15th C, coats, braids, tsunderes male and female, gripping battle scenes, women are like this men are like that, skirt smoo-

*website explodes*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Goofballs posted:

I had forgotten the start of TDR, or at least that that threat happens then. Hearing what's happening in the world of whitecloaks is pretty rare. I still think he ignores the immediate authority, yeah it was Sammael, because he flashbacks to the darkfriend social

What's messing me up was the mydraal, probably under orders from the dark one, wants Rand's death but then it becomes a big theme that he shouldn't die, the dark one wants Darth Rand. Guess the question is who sent the mydraal if it wasn't the DO. Or Jordan didn't have that plan then. The loose forsaken didn't seem that pushed about killing him.

In theory it was Ishamael but what's the point if he already did the subconscious order
Doesn't narg and a bunch of the book 1 Fades say they want Rand to come with them? And the whole thing Ishamael is doing in the first few books is endlessly telling Rand to come to the dark side

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Judkins is doing a live interview with dragonmount in a little over an hour.

Don't know if he'll reveal anything or break any news but there's always a chance :shrug:

https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/1603788998081740806?s=20&t=e8Uj9km56fXmSZUlJcspMg

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Just typing up notable things he says in this interview:

S2 is defintely coming in 2023, not early 2023 he says, as they are still working on VFX and editing.

He talked to Brando Sando about how book 2 and 3 are somewhat the same narratively with Rand ending up with a confrontation with Ishy and both agreed you cannot do that in TV so those narrative plots will be combined.

He says one of the minor characters in the books he really loves is Pevara and don't be surprised if she ends up in the show.

The writers room is currently obsessed with Liandrins black ajah cabal and knows every nuance of each ones personalities.

And that's about it :shrug: mostly fluff questions.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hexel posted:

He talked to Brando Sando about how book 2 and 3 are somewhat the same narratively with Rand ending up with a confrontation with Ishy and both agreed you cannot do that in TV so those narrative plots will be combined.

This makes sense to me, and it may be good to elevate Be’lal as a bigger baddie if he doesn’t have Ishmael standing right behind him. Gives more weight to Moraine killing him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I feel like it'd be better to combine the climax of book 1 and book 2 than book 2 and book 3 personally, since books 1 and 2 have more similarity in that Rand's duel with Ishamael is reflecting a physical battle taking place below them and the soldiers fighting that battle are able to see a vision of Rand and Ishamael's duel writ large above them as they fight. The outcome of books 1 and 2 is also about Rand realizing he may be the Dragon Reborn and not really accepting it, while book 3 is about him wanting to confirm that and doing so in a way that everyone in the world (bar fanatics like Whitecloaks) has to accept.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hexel posted:

"Excuse me, I got one question. Bayle Domon. Is he in this?"

"Yes. Do you have any other more important questions to ask?"

"There do be no other important questions."

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Given what he said regarding not wanting to repeat the Rand/Ishy battles of book 2 and 3 I wonder how that impacts the Stone of Tear, Callandor, the Aiel taking the Stone and the prophecies of the Dragon?

Also: the Stone of Tear is already in the show

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1599894047463596032?s=46&t=QTucK4Dk1xrXrOAO_1qjqQ

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the battle in the sky is cooler so they should keep it

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ChubbyChecker posted:

the battle in the sky is cooler so they should keep it

And Ishamael is not the important or exciting part of the battle for the Stone.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

El Grillo posted:

Doesn't narg and a bunch of the book 1 Fades say they want Rand to come with them? And the whole thing Ishamael is doing in the first few books is endlessly telling Rand to come to the dark side

I don't think narg the trolloc was particularly well informed about the dark one's plan. It just wanted Rand to lower his guard so it could go for the kill. Back in the day when I read book 1 for the first time I assumed the invitations from darkfriends were invitations to get murdered at a secondary location. They weren't clued into a plan. They just had a name and a description and they were going to do what they always do.

I think the long term plan for the series only got fully formed around book 4. Once upon a time I remember reading it was going to be just 1 book and then when it had interest it was going to be a trilogy and then it got really popular

I wasn't a big fan of the show trying to obfuscate who the dragon is but at that point Ishy doesn't know who the dragon is either since he's messing with the dreams of all 3 so it kind of makes sense.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 18, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Just finished Crossroads of Twilight, I was surprised there was only one Faile part and I think only two Perrin sections

I'm guessing the multipart odyssey of Faile's rescue will be starting up in Knife of Dreams but I'm going to try to soldier through it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It actually finishes up pretty fast when it gets going. It’s just the huge multi book nothing lead up that puts your mind in a bad place.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Goofballs posted:

I don't think narg the trolloc was particularly well informed about the dark one's plan. It just wanted Rand to lower his guard so it could go for the kill. Back in the day when I read book 1 for the first time I assumed the invitations from darkfriends were invitations to get murdered at a secondary location. They weren't clued into a plan. They just had a name and a description and they were going to do what they always do.

I think the long term plan for the series only got fully formed around book 4. Once upon a time I remember reading it was going to be just 1 book and then when it had interest it was going to be a trilogy and then it got really popular

I wasn't a big fan of the show trying to obfuscate who the dragon is but at that point Ishy doesn't know who the dragon is either since he's messing with the dreams of all 3 so it kind of makes sense.
Oh yeah fair point forgot narg then tries to kill Rand. Though to be fair, that is what trollocs do.

I'd have to go back and look at some of the interactions with fades to see what they were up to, can't really remember

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Hexel posted:

Just typing up notable things he says in this interview:

S2 is defintely coming in 2023, not early 2023 he says, as they are still working on VFX and editing.

He says one of the minor characters in the books he really loves is Pevara and don't be surprised if she ends up in the show.

The writers room is currently obsessed with Liandrins black ajah cabal and knows every nuance of each ones personalities.

Rand ends up confronting Ishy as the final boss for books 1, 2 and 3, but the narratives leading up are all really different and the battles themselves are all very different.

The structure of the books 2 and 3 are basically the same though.

Step 1: everyone starts off together in the same location kinda waiting for something to happen
step 2: something happened so now we all split up and go on our separate adventures
step 3: On our separate adventures we all get pointed to the same destination and start going there
step 4: arrive at final destination and group up again for final boss bottle

And there's a bit of a chase aspect. Book 2 they're chasing the horn, book 3 it's Rand.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 27, 2022

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Lol how did I only just see this: https://youtu.be/tb-q4Ap2IPk (feat. Billy Zane)

(Explainer vid - the guy shouting is the guy from the Nerdy wordy book club WoT podcast: https://youtu.be/fezEYkXyKaA&t=2h24m45s

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Two things I forgot were back to back in Knife of Dreams:

Rand at the farmhouse as it's attacked by Trollocs, and Lews Therin seizes saidin from him and wonders my hands, why can't I move my hands?!

and

My name is Nynaeve ti al’Meara Mandragoran. The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World’s End toward Tarwin’s Gap, toward Tarmon Gai’don. Will he ride alone?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DarkHorse posted:

Two things I forgot were back to back in Knife of Dreams:

Rand at the farmhouse as it's attacked by Trollocs, and Lews Therin seizes saidin from him and wonders my hands, why can't I move my hands?!

and

My name is Nynaeve ti al’Meara Mandragoran. The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World’s End toward Tarwin’s Gap, toward Tarmon Gai’don. Will he ride alone?

"We can die at Tarmon Gai'don" as LTT releases the source is such a chilling line and I hope it makes it into the show.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

"We can die at Tarmon Gai'don" as LTT releases the source is such a chilling line and I hope it makes it into the show.

That, too

The scorching glowing effect from the show would look good I think with his interaction with Logain "why do you hold so much of the Power, you don't need to prove you can hold more I saw how much larger your death gates were"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That scene where Rand just easily destroys an army with death gates is such a good scene. Everyone’s just staring at it thinking this mother fucker ain’t right. The books go on for so long it’s easy to forget that there’s so many good scenes tucked in there.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Cross posting from the spoiler tag/new readers thread:

I finished A Memory of Light last night. I wish I'd picked up the pace so I could say that I read the whole series in a calendar year (I started in maybe March or April 2022) but finishing it in under a year's time is also cool. I haven't yet read New Dawn, but I started it today.

Altogether, I had a great time. I have a lot of specific complaints about the books, but I really loved living in the world, knowing the characters, and getting amped for their triumphs. The length of the series, and the attendant time commitment to get through it all, leads the reader to put so much of themselves into the story that it becomes pretty personally affecting. I'm sure I've felt that before, maybe with ASoIaF, but I was never as aware of it as I was with this series. I definitely have some sense of loss now that it's all over.

Some spoilers. Don't read if you haven't finished the whole series.

I haven't read this thread very much since I wasn't finished with the series, but I think there are some readers who think Jordan was good and Sanderson was/is bad. While there are certainly some elements of Jordan's writing that I preferred to Sanderson's, I think he did a great job. Landing this plane was always going to be extremely tricky, but I felt through all three of the last books that Sanderson was doing a really good job with concluding things. I understand that Jordan was committed to finishing the series, and you can see that in Knife of Dreams where things really picked back up. Still, looking just at the text of the books and the names on the covers, I find it hard not to think that Jordan was adrift in his own (incredible) creation, and someone else stepping in with a clear mission to finish the series was the best thing. I think the background and planning and everything is all documented, but that's my impression as a reader of the books alone. That said, I'm going to do some nitpicking.

It was pretty shocking when important characters started actually dying. I think Siuan was the first one, and it more or less said "she's dead" which was kind of hard to believe. After 13 books of nobody important ever dying, it was wild to see the gloves really come off. I think it was necessary for us to see real consequences and real deaths, but I'm sad that Egwene had to be one of them. She was my favorite character, and it's too bad that the Tower won't benefit from her incredible leadership for the next several centuries. She also never got to see her parents again after she left the Two Rivers. Cadsuane will do okay as the new boss, I guess, but she's super old and nobody likes to be around her.

Demandred really came out of nowhere. I remember his name but nothing else from previous books; maybe he was present in some of those meetings of the Forsaken, but we never saw him doing anything (IIRC) until he shows up as 1.) the best general of all time, 2.) the best swordsman of all time, and 3.) in possession of a sa'angreal that makes him even more powerful than Rand. It worked, but it was very much like the biggest baddest final boss showing up at the end of the videogame. It would have made more sense to me for that to be Moridin, who in the end didn't really do jack poo poo. I know he was important as a way for them to use callandor to reimprison the dark one, but it's hard not to think that the dark one made the wrong pick for nae'blis.

When the dead wolves came out of the wolf dream after Olver blew the Horn of Valere, I got pretty misty eyed. That happened a few times, but this was one of them. Also when Elayne talked to Birgitte in Horn Hero form. I was so sure that Egwene was going to be the newest Hero of the Horn, but maybe they're not taking new members. Speaking of, when we first found out or started to suspect that Noal was Jain Farstrider, it never occurred to me that he was Farstrider reborn. I just thought it meant that the book about his travels was like a modern classic and he had written it thirty years back or something, haha. But when we last see him alive, and he says "I'm Jain Farstrider!" doesn't that kind of contradict our understanding of how the reborn heroes work? Didn't they say that Birgitte keeps being reborn but doesn't know that she's lived a thousand lives when she's mortal?

This might seem crazy to say, but I think it should have been longer. After 500 (?) pages of battle (I don't know, I read on Kindle) the denouement felt rushed. I wanted a little bit more of a look at what the characters were going to be doing for the rest of their lives. This is also me just not wanting it to be over, but it felt like after the battle was won, we got a two-page check-in with all of our favorites and that was it. Also, what are we to understand about Rand's body switch? He carried Moridin out of the cave and did a Mirror Mists on the both of them, and either talked to his girlfriends about it or they could tell because of the bond, and Alivia was in on it too somehow? That's all fine, but Nynaeve spent days trying to heal him without detecting the subterfuge?

Who killed Asmodean?

So, uh, what should I read next? I've read, and enjoyed to varying degrees, A Song of Ice and Fire, LotR and the Silmarillion, Joe Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Lock Lamora, Discworld, and some others that I'm forgetting. The Saxon Chronicles and Masters of Rome, too, but I know those are historical fiction, AKA fantasy but 15% more realistic.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Racing Stripe posted:

She was my favorite character, and it's too bad that the Tower won't benefit from her incredible leadership for the next several centuries.

She was a good character, but I think her death was the best thing for the tower. She had all the makings of an absolute tyrant of all the channelers and it's probably good that she didn't get a chance to put her plans into motion.

quote:

I just thought it meant that the book about his travels was like a modern classic and he had written it thirty years back or something, haha. But when we last see him alive, and he says "I'm Jain Farstrider!" doesn't that kind of contradict our understanding of how the reborn heroes work?

It's not really contradictory. He wrote the book about his travels recently, got used by the forsaken, changed his name, died, and then became a hero of the horn.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

CainFortea posted:

It's not really contradictory. He wrote the book about his travels recently, got used by the forsaken, changed his name, died, and then became a hero of the horn.

Okay, so my first thought was right. In that case yes, it’s consistent. But then Egwene should have been one of them! I demand acknowledgment that this is a better idea than what the professional author came up with!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Racing Stripe posted:

Speaking of, when we first found out or started to suspect that Noal was Jain Farstrider, it never occurred to me that he was Farstrider reborn. I just thought it meant that the book about his travels was like a modern classic and he had written it thirty years back or something, haha. But when we last see him alive, and he says "I'm Jain Farstrider!" doesn't that kind of contradict our understanding of how the reborn heroes work? Didn't they say that Birgitte keeps being reborn but doesn't know that she's lived a thousand lives when she's mortal?

Who killed Asmodean?

The way I read it, going by memory at least, was that Jain Farstrider had always been a Hero of the Horn. That's why he was Jain Farstrider in the first place.

The who killed asmodean question is kinda fuckin hilarious.

Apparently from Jordan's background notes it's crystal clear that the original intent was that Taim killed Asmodean -- or, rather, Taimandred, because Taim was actually Demandred.

But too many fans cottoned on to this theory ("Taimandred") so RJ changed his mind later (which is why Demandred comes out of left field at the end).

When Sanderson first went into the files his first big question he wanted to know the answer to was "who killed Asmodean." It turned out the answer was a printout of the Graendal section of https://www.steelypips.org/wotfaq/1_dark/1.1_forsaken1/1.1.6_asmo.html with "this is correct" appended to it on a yellow sticky note.

Racing Stripe posted:

So, uh, what should I read next? I've read, and enjoyed to varying degrees, A Song of Ice and Fire, LotR and the Silmarillion, Joe Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Lock Lamora, Discworld, and some others that I'm forgetting. The Saxon Chronicles and Masters of Rome, too, but I know those are historical fiction, AKA fantasy but 15% more realistic.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 5, 2023

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Graendal killed Asmodean, something that was a massive source of debate for over a decade before Sanderson confirmed it from RJ's notes in the glossary of 'Towers of Midnight'

And tbf there are enough clues in there if you know what to look for. We get one of her POVs where she doesn't count him among the living or missing Forsaken despite the fact that none of them should know he's dead yet. She also shows up in the book and if you piece together her conspiracy with Rahvin and Lanfear she has reason to be meeting with them in Caemlyn.

Its just kind of a background mystery thats hard to pick out. Like how you can get most of Verin's deal before her big reveal if you pick it apart hard enough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Verin shows her hand immediately with reader knowledge on the first read though in tgh. I kept waiting for someone to ask moraine about tasking her but it never happens.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Verin shows her hand immediately with reader knowledge on the first read though in tgh. I kept waiting for someone to ask moraine about tasking her but it never happens.

Yeah, but her character is charming enough that readers don't want to accept the obvious truth. It's really excellently well written.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Racing Stripe posted:

The length of the series, and the attendant time commitment to get through it all, leads the reader to put so much of themselves into the story that it becomes pretty personally affecting. I'm sure I've felt that before, maybe with ASoIaF, but I was never as aware of it as I was with this series. I definitely have some sense of loss now that it's all over.

I felt the exact same way after power reading / listening to the whole series over a very short time frame in 2021, haven't felt that way with any other series I've finished over the years.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The way I read it, going by memory at least, was that Jain Farstrider had always been a Hero of the Horn. That's why he was Jain Farstrider in the first place.

That's what I thought once all was said and done. I figured that The Adventures of Jain Farstrider was a collection of old myths, and we learn that Farstrider is one of the heroes who gets reborn, like Birgitte. If that's the case, though, shouldn't he be unaware of that while he's living a mortal life? Isn't that what it's like for Birgitte, where she's self-aware while she's dead, but once she's reborn, she forgets all of that? Maybe Jordan/Sanderson just decided to break the rules a little bit to make sure the reader gets it so they have Noal outright say that he's Jain Farstrider.

Apparently from Jordan's background notes it's crystal clear that the original intent was that Taim killed Asmodean -- or, rather, Taimandred, because Taim was actually Demandred.

But too many fans cottoned on to this theory ("Taimandred") so RJ changed his mind later (which is why Demandred comes out of left field at the end).

That explains a lot. For a while, I was sure that Taim was one of the Forsaken. In the early days of the Black Tower, there's even that warning to look out for anyone who seems to be learning too quickly because it's probably a forsaken in disguise. I thought Moridin, because at one point we see that Taim's palace at the black tower has a black-and-red motif, which is also in some description of Moridin's lair.

Thanks, that's a good tip. I've read books 1 - 3 of that series, and I really enjoyed them. I just didn't go into full-on must-read-next-book mode with them. It's time for me to get back to it.

CainFortea posted:

She was a good character, but I think her death was the best thing for the tower. She had all the makings of an absolute tyrant of all the channelers and it's probably good that she didn't get a chance to put her plans into motion.

That's interesting. All that's coming to my mind is how she tricked the Hall into unwittingly giving her unilateral decision-making war powers. What are some other examples of her shaping up to be some sort of despot? I am probably being more forgiving of her iron-fisted tendencies since Tar Valon leadership was presented as being paralyzed by petty internal competition, lacking foresight, and utterly compromised by the Black Ajah. In light of that, it seems that the ends justify the means, and the means were, at worst, slightly underhanded. That was my impression, at least. It's probably true though that despotic tendencies may serve the greater good in limited and specific situations, but are not an asset in the long term.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Racing Stripe posted:

That's what I thought once all was said and done. I figured that The Adventures of Jain Farstrider was a collection of old myths, and we learn that Farstrider is one of the heroes who gets reborn, like Birgitte. If that's the case, though, shouldn't he be unaware of that while he's living a mortal life? Isn't that what it's like for Birgitte, where she's self-aware while she's dead, but once she's reborn, she forgets all of that? Maybe Jordan/Sanderson just decided to break the rules a little bit to make sure the reader gets it so they have Noal outright say that he's Jain Farstrider.

I believe the situation is that Jain Charin was born in 925 NE in Malkier, did a bunch of heroism and travel which he wrote up in a book as "The Travels of Jain Farstrider," then got put under Compulsion by Ishamael. Eventually he broke free of the compulsion but didn't want to return to his old life as "Farstrider", so he went by Noal Charin.

Then he meets Mat, goes to the Tower of Ghenjei, and "dies clean" (because not under compulsion and again doing a Heroism) travelling on his farthest adventure of all, beyond the world.

Then it turns out he was a Hero of the Horn all along. The book of his travels is literally the book of his travels, like Marco Polo's book or whatever -- not mythology but an actual travelogue.

It's a little confusing because it's a story told elliptically but it's meant to show that there are always stories happening before and after; this story is just one story in the turning of the Wheel, neither the first nor the last.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If Egwene had lived, the very first thing she would have done is launch the Tower into a no-win war with the Seanchan. Either they lose and the Tower no longer exists (and likely neither do free channelers) or they win and the Tower is completely unrecognizable, likely having become exactly what they sought to destroy in the first place.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is Cadsuane ageless face ever mentioned? I recall it's more focused on old.

I thought egg would be terrible for the tower if she lived due to the oaths. Once the purge is out of the bag, and even if not public knowledge, they are worse than useless.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Then it turns out he was a Hero of the Horn all along.

I don't think this is true. They mention that new heroes get added sometimes. I kept hoping that Hurrin would become one, but that didn't happen.

Racing Stripe posted:

That's interesting. All that's coming to my mind is how she tricked the Hall into unwittingly giving her unilateral decision-making war powers. What are some other examples of her shaping up to be some sort of despot? I am probably being more forgiving of her iron-fisted tendencies since Tar Valon leadership was presented as being paralyzed by petty internal competition, lacking foresight, and utterly compromised by the Black Ajah. In light of that, it seems that the ends justify the means, and the means were, at worst, slightly underhanded. That was my impression, at least. It's probably true though that despotic tendencies may serve the greater good in limited and specific situations, but are not an asset in the long term.

The first one that leaps to my mind is her desire to fold all groups of female channelers into the tower's control. There's even a bit when she's meeting some of them where a wise woman says something to the effect of "Oh, so you're not going to destroy us. Good."

And in her mind she is sad because she believes her actions are 100% going to destroy them. But she's a tower supremacist so this is just something to be sad about, not to stop.

That's why I was saying she has the makings of a despot, not that she is one. Most of what she does in the book comes from decent enough places. Preparing for the final battle, keeping the seanchan in check, etc. But the thing about "The ends justify the means" is that it means you're absolutely willing to do those things. Her doing all this reads like it could very easily be the origin story of a villain in a later book.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Something something great wartime leaders in peacetime

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Which again, I love. RJ was really good at writing believably flawed characters.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I've posted this before but if I could change literally one thing about the last book it would be that Noal shows up riding Bela when the horn is blown.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I find it really hard to disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

None of the heroes of the horn are magic people right? Just really good fighters or very ugly?