Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pentyne posted:

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1210384140912267264

It's like a yearly thing for him to tweet about how he's told how in the red Men in Black was.

But I thought Men in Black: Adam made a profit?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I am legit very happy for the guy. I wonder what he wants to actually play? Eisenhorn? Cain? A procedural where the Emperor solves crimes?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

eXXon posted:

pentyne posted:

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1210384140912267264

It's like a yearly thing for him to tweet about how he's told how in the red Men in Black was.
But I thought Men in Black: Adam made a profit?!

Is this poo poo real? loving lol at MiB still being in the red. How is this "creative" bookkeeping not illegal.

I hope for the WH fans that it doesn't turn into some shitshow, like The Witcher production.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

:lol:ing at the fact that Henry Cavill bailed on the Witcher because he thought going back to play Superman was the better of two lovely options and now he's no longer Superman either :newlol:

great post

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

itry posted:

I hope for the WH fans that it doesn't turn into some shitshow, like The Witcher production.

Given how Rings of Power and Wheel of Time have looked, I’m not hopeful.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This is it, I think, for ol Cavill. It's gotta be a nerd's dream to get to play their favorite characters on screen, but they just hosed it up for him every step of the way.

They made him Superman, then wrote him awful movies where his Superman destroys cities, and they hosed up their scripting and planning so badly that they turned him into an internet joke by having to CGI out his mustache for reshoots. Then they make him The Witcher, but again, he gets terrible scripts and plots and apparently producers that beef with him and don't care about the source material, and so he bails on that to be Superman again in hopes of getting a good movie, but they screw him out of that too.

Now he's gonna get to be John Warhammer, and if they do him as bad as they did John Halo then I bet Cavill's out of the acting game forever. Just retire with his money, post some nasty things about Hollywood, and spend the rest of his days painting miniatures and doing LFG WoW raids.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

latinotwink1997 posted:

You have to take into account that Warhammer is far better source material, so even if it falls short it'll be infinitely better.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Count Of Monte Cristo 2: Albert's New Groove

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

It's possible that the terrible reception those shows got (though I'll cut wheel of time some slack, they got a lot of things right and also got hosed by some stuff out of their control) might cause studios to give big franchises to people who both care about the source material and who know how to make a good show. Andor is apparently good, for example.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm halfway through Andor, and I like it. I was so tired of Star Wars I've skipped everything after Rogue One. And it's just a good sci-fi so far. I guess I should watch Mandalorian now.
As for Cavill: I wish him the best, and GW seems to be in a good place now. They are beyond the era of selling licence to any game, with recent entries being really good quality.
As for Witcher franchise: early reviews for the prequel mini-series sound bad, so I'll probably skip it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nah Warhammer is okay source material that has been run well past its sell by date, that can be so freely interpreted that you can make it into whatever good or bad thing you want.

Cavil's series wil inevitably be wildly successful Expanded Universe Product

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This is my new favourite unhinged behind the scenes take

https://twitter.com/renfriscreyden/status/1603489198970920968

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Uh-huh

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eej posted:

the bizarre fake job of “showrunner” as it is advertised to the layperson is extremely stupid. the job is just on-set producer, and i still doubt they are ever on set

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Juicy gossip, I really want to see that last email.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why does the big boss need to micromanage every minute detail?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Eej posted:

Yeah this is from a podcast that brings on psychics to discuss celebrity gossip. :gas:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
That gossip is just believable enough for me, by which I mean, the point of view of the person (edit: someone from the show production) supposedly writing it. Not that it is accurate

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Didn't he date an 18 year old when he was in his early thirties (after previously dating Gina Carano)? I'm not taking sides here, but I'm not inclined to dismiss this thing out of hand.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Male actor bring obnoxious towards women is entirely plausible. Cavill being an unprofessional, barely functional vidya game addict seems like something the rumour mill would have churned out earlier if it were true, like after he first announced his departure.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I mean here's the site's own description:

"DeuxMoi.World publishes rumors & conjecture, not facts. In addition to information reported directly from sources, certain characters, situations, and events portrayed on this website are either products of the authors imagination or conjecture."

If some more credible source backs any of this up then I'll believe it, but right now I certainly do not.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Is anyone else a little skeeved out by how that person seems so offended by him not wanting to do romantic scenes or go shirtless? I mean... There are plenty of situations where I think it's completely reasonable for an actor or actress to have control over that, especially when it involves stuff like dieting and intentional dehydration. Most of it sounds at least somewhat believable, but that little aside immediately made me suspicious of how they are presenting a lot of those other details.

Also, them trying to frame him as a "recent" video game addict where they noticed the change feels off. I guess it's not unthinkable that the pandemic might've exacerbated that, but unless he started walking around set while dropping a bunch of Gamer WordsTM (which is a much more specific accusation), I don't know why they would specifically bring it up instead of just saying that he was generally lazy and being an rear end in a top hat.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
also accusing a pc building warhammer tabletop rpg nerd of using gamer bro language is really funny

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn't he date an 18 year old when he was in his early thirties (after previously dating Gina Carano)? I'm not taking sides here, but I'm not inclined to dismiss this thing out of hand.

who gives a poo poo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:gas:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Showrunner: "So when roach dies we want you to make a joke."

Cavill: "That's loving dumb as poo poo, bro. You idiot. I'm gonna read a poem and poo poo, get real emotional with it."

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

just because Cavill is a nerd who likes the nerd things I like doesn't mean he's going to make it good. in fact that's only going to make it worse

the only way to do a proper fantasy or scifi adaption is to vaguely describe it to a good director like Cronenberg and let them ignore the source material

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mistermojo posted:

just because Cavill is a nerd who likes the nerd things I like doesn't mean he's going to make it good. in fact that's only going to make it worse

the only way to do a proper fantasy or scifi adaption is to vaguely describe it to a good director like Cronenberg and let them ignore the source material

or go the opposite way and be unerringly faithful to the source material, like anime

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I can buy a scenario where Cavill is a weird poorly behaved freak, but this also seems like it's a very cynical response to the heat they're taking over him leaving.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the one hand every vibe Cavill gives off is that he's extremely nice, on the other he has immediately shunted to a show where the only thing that's solid right now is that he's Executive Producer.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I think if you're doing a Netflix show because you're a fan of the source material, then you're going to end up miserable. Didn't a few of the Bebop actors cop to never watching the anime at all?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe but the thing I remember most about the Bebop production was one of the producers talking about how they wanted to downplay the dystopia elements and I think my brain snapped a bit at that.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe but the thing I remember most about the Bebop production was one of the producers talking about how they wanted to downplay the dystopia elements and I think my brain snapped a bit at that.

A decent amount of good things come from Earth. Not too much, though. Enough, I'd say. I guess.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive said it in this thread before but the tv writers and producers who decide to adapt a series should not consider themselves better writers than the people who wrote the thing theyre adapting. at worst they should trim fat. in no world should they completely scrap characters and change fundamental aspects of the setting. the witcher tv show is extremely guilty of both

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

ive said it in this thread before but the tv writers and producers who decide to adapt a series should not consider themselves better writers than the people who wrote the thing theyre adapting. at worst they should trim fat. in no world should they completely scrap characters and change fundamental aspects of the setting. the witcher tv show is extremely guilty of both

You realize that most adaptations done by the original author scrap characters and occasionally change fundamental aspects of the setting, right? Different media have different needs.

You might counter that the original author is better qualified to make those decisions and that's often true but writing a cool book is no guarantee that they're not a tremendous dipshit when it comes to other things, either.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

You realize that most adaptations done by the original author scrap characters and occasionally change fundamental aspects of the setting, right? Different media have different needs.

You might counter that the original author is better qualified to make those decisions and that's often true but writing a cool book is no guarantee that they're not a tremendous dipshit when it comes to other things, either.

my point is literally that the original author is the only one who should be allowed to do those things, because tv writers - especially the ones employed by netflix - are not usually very talented, and i am specifically talking about the witcher books, which are perfect and should have been adapted fully unchanged

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Then they should just not be adapted. What makes a good book is not what makes a good TV show.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Then they should just not be adapted. What makes a good book is not what makes a good TV show.

i disagree. the most important things are the same in both: good characters, good setting, good narrative

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
there's no rule for adaptations except be good. that's where netflix witcher went wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was mostly good which makes it extra frustrating.