Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EvilJoven posted:

Switch 2 is never coming out and I'm ok with that.

Of course Switch 2 is coming out, that's why Microsoft said Call of Duty is coming to Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Auron is the coolest FF character and Vivi is the sweetest

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And Vaan is the first one since ff5 without serious mental health issues like long term amnesia

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

Of course Switch 2 is coming out, that's why Microsoft said Call of Duty is coming to Nintendo.

Well time to save my nickels then.

But gently caress cod I want cheerful colorful games.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Well time to save my nickels then.

But gently caress cod I want cheerful colorful games.

you can have cheerful colorful games AND a processor that isn’t ancient!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

BraveUlysses posted:

well nintendo support on the phone said they can't give me any contact info about the owner and their suggestion was to give it to the cops and hope that the owner reported it lost. which is fine i dont think they should give me anyone's personal info but im surprised they wont reach out to the owner themselves.

that seems lame so i'll try the twitter account now

can you DM me @jaytholen when you tweet? or post it here? a few journalists follow me so I'll try and put it on their radar!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

auron is extremely ftw

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol time to spread some Christmas cheer by way of dogpiling a corporation until they pull the stick out of their rear end and do a good deed. :goon:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mister Facetious posted:

I do want a Switch 2, not because I believe it needs improvement, but to justify myself buying a new one so I can stop worrying about the noises mine makes.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

"Officer, help! My Switch was stolen!"

:cop: "What games did you have on it?"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

you can have cheerful colorful games AND a processor that isn’t ancient!

sorry to tell u but whenever they do eventually make a new console, the processor will still be ancient actually

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Switch released in 2017. The chip in the Switch is from 2012.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Waffle! posted:

"Officer, help! My Switch was stolen!"

:cop: "What games did you have on it?"

"Oh, uh... Doorkickers, RICO, LA Noire, This is the Police 1 and 2, Beat Cop, and Lego City: Undercover!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stux posted:

sorry to tell u but whenever they do eventually make a new console, the processor will still be ancient actually

Less ancient!

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I grew up playing the gba remakes of snes final fantasy games as my first ones. So to me, a remaster has to include the extra gba content or its just not correct. I liked having a final super dungeon in ff6.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sylvian Wastes posted:

I grew up playing the gba remakes of snes final fantasy games as my first ones. So to me, a remaster has to include the extra gba content or its just not correct. I liked having a final super dungeon in ff6.

FF6 is the best FF because you can suplex a train

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Loved 7 so much I beat it several times back in the day and bounced off 8 really hard for some reason but that was when it first came out.

The switch version good?

FF9 works well on Switch and it is a good game with an ok villain and some surprisingly good story and characters. It's a slow burn in more ways than one, since at the beginning it took me a bit to click with the cast, but once you get to know them they're great.

It is also literally slow. Out of all the PS remakes it just plays slowly. Random battles will take you time to go through. Thankfully, the game does include a fast-forward mode, but it only makes it bearable (but still slow because it is naturally a SLOW game, amazing what people put up with back in the day). This wasn't enough to make me not want to play it, but I noticed it far more than in FF7 and 8 which are rather quick otherwise and very speedy with double-time, and X, which is just quick feeling and doesn't even have that option.

I do think it has the worst gameplay out of all of them. It's not nuanced, and more often than not you'll just use your "best" move without need for strategy or thought. I also thought that linking equipped items to learnable skills was not a great idea considering how slow the battles were. Still, it's small complaints, the game is well worth experiencing.

---

8 is terribly written and has a pretty poo poo cast, despite some efforts. It does have a very strange battle system that can be quite engaging, if you bother to think about how to break it, but it can also drag if you're just using summons. I can see someone bouncing off it. Best soundtrack though and the Switch version is real good and pretty.

---

If I had to recommend one though it is X. It's the best. Good story, good cast, fantastic gameplay. I need todo X2, but I think I'll save it for the summer. (Personal favorite is 6 for the amazing story and cast and more than solid gameplay, even if it was a formula that was improved upon in 7.)

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i'm the outlier and i've played more blitzball than actuall ffx cause i probably put 40 hours into blitzball and i've still never actually beaten any of the FFs since 6.

i got to the crater in 7, upgraded my pc and then my save files got corrupted and i've never gotten back that far even though i own it on like 4 different systems.
8 i got to the final boss and died once and rage quit and never went back cause i don't really care for the game.
9 i might have actually beaten but i don't remember that game very well.
10 i got to one fight that kicked my rear end like 10 times in a row and my dumb rear end only had one save file and it was right at the boss that was loving my day up and i couldn't go back so i quit there and eh, it was a fine game but idc to put that much time again into something i've already had the plot spoiled for. never played the sequels
12/13/15 i didn't enjoy. i played like 10 hours of each of them and sold them back to gamestop

14 on the other hand loving rules and i've put many days into that game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

6 has so much loving grinding. 14 characters and ideally you have to get twelve of them to a decent level with decent selection of magic.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

John Wick of Dogs posted:

6 has so much loving grinding. 14 characters and ideally you have to get twelve of them to a decent level with decent selection of magic.

that's why you did the river trick with a turbo controller and pog slammers

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Or you just don't grind, and spread your actually good characters across two teams and put the random encounter blocker on team dead weight. It's not that hard of a game.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

8 is terribly written and has a pretty poo poo cast, despite some efforts.

I'm sorry but that is patently false. It's a well-written game with poor presentation.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

An Actual Princess posted:

i think all final fantasies are good

:hai:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm just so happy that the Switch, god's perfect console, has so many great RPGs to play.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it has too many, they should delete ten of them

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Or you just don't grind, and spread your actually good characters across two teams and put the random encounter blocker on team dead weight. It's not that hard of a game.

I'm sorry but that is patently false. It's a well-written game with poor presentation.

You're right I'm sorry and you've gone through great effort in the past to redeem it and when I read your posts I actually think the game sounds good, and then you play it and what you say is almost barely in there. My goodness did they not land any of their efforts in this one.

and I agree 6 is not hard and grinding in it is hardly that tough either. Your characters often have some pretty broken moves to begin with and most bosses have "that one weird trick" to get around them if you want.

It's a must-play though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hatty posted:

it has too many, they should delete ten of them

I would run the Switch Trump style. For every new RPG they have to delete 2.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No worries, I wouldn't actually recommend FF8 to anyone unless I know they have the same weirdly specific media sensibilities that I do; I'm just pedantically asserting that it should be mocked for its presentation rather than its writing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If I remember right I think I levelled Sabin to max level before the tower (i think if you only had one person in a team they got 4x the XP) and had him essentially solo his path of the tower.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mog and Umaro with a Snow Muffler in the back row basically become immune to physical damage
I think the imp armor set could do that too

Easy mode is grind the veldt Forest in the world of ruin with Bismark equipped until your physical damage hits 9k+, cause you get +2 strength with every level

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

most bosses have "that one weird trick" to get around them if you want.

It's a must-play though.

Vanish/Doom and Vanish/X-Zone were patched out of like every subsequent release after SNES AFAIK.

It really is a great game though, someone teased a concept version of it with Octopath Traveller graphics and I never knew I needed a game so much. Imagine that on a 3DS!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It really is a great game though, someone teased a concept version of it with Octopath Traveller graphics and I never knew I needed a game so much. Imagine that on a 3DS!

I've been waiting for an upgrade like that ever since it became obvious ff6 would never get an ff3/4/n64 promo video version with polygons

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah what the amazing sprites of ff6 need is minecraft filters slammedon top of them so they "look good"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Stux posted:

yeah what the amazing sprites of ff6 need is minecraft filters slammedon top of them so they "look good"

If you voxelize the characters like Nintendo did with those 8-bit Mario amiibo, i think it could maybe work

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Stux posted:

thats exatctly what it needs

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How’s Crisis Core. Heard voice acting is bad. Does the j-pop Star Zack is modeled after do Japanese vocals? Can I do subs?

Any setting or anything to adjust or fuss with?

Also, 30 fps docked as well :/ I’m confused, does the switch ever have more computation power while docked? I thought it was supposed to

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
crisis core is good

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

FF9 works well on Switch and it is a good game with an ok villain and some surprisingly good story and characters. It's a slow burn in more ways than one, since at the beginning it took me a bit to click with the cast, but once you get to know them they're great.

It is also literally slow. Out of all the PS remakes it just plays slowly. Random battles will take you time to go through. Thankfully, the game does include a fast-forward mode, but it only makes it bearable (but still slow because it is naturally a SLOW game, amazing what people put up with back in the day). This wasn't enough to make me not want to play it, but I noticed it far more than in FF7 and 8 which are rather quick otherwise and very speedy with double-time, and X, which is just quick feeling and doesn't even have that option.

The slow start is a killer. I will keep playing because of Vivi but I really don’t like Zidane. Not my type of guy tbh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mister Facetious posted:

If you voxelize the characters like Nintendo did with those 8-bit Mario amiibo, i think it could maybe work

Aka 3D Dot Game Heroes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

crisis core is good

Ya I’m pumped, I’m a huge FF7 fan and was bummed we may have never seen it again outside Vita hacking or owning a PSP. All that licensing drama with Zack being modeled after a j-pop star, and I think music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont know about zack but genesis is modeled after japanese musiciian gackt and voiced by him in the japanese version