Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

pod6isjerks posted:

Also, I'm an extremely yellow-sounding person. Please respect my lived experiences. :)

Speaking as an East Asian person, :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Can't imagine why people thought you were being regressive

Yep I'm the bad guy. I'm sorry everyone else here has the mandate of heaven and I don't.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Speaking as an East Asian person, :fuckoff:

I would never describe an Asian person as "yellow". That's on you so, uh relax.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Waltzing Along posted:

Question/comment about City of Lanterns:

Apparently, it is only available from the website. They don't sell it in stores. The site does not list it as exclusive which would mean amazon/target/walmart would sell it, too. But as far as I can tell, they don't.

This is weird, right?

To change the subject, I'm just quoting myself because I thought this was odd and no one replied. I searched around some more and can't seem to find it ever having been for sale anywhere other than the online store or resellers.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

To change the subject, I'm just quoting myself because I thought this was odd and no one replied. I searched around some more and can't seem to find it ever having been for sale anywhere other than the online store or resellers.

I thought I heard something about them not selling Monkie Kid sets globally in-store anymore? Like you can still get them online at the LEGO website but they're not being distributed outside of Asia

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pod6isjerks posted:

The budding flower of representation can only blossom if we also get rid of all the yellow minifigs poisoning the dirt. Got it.
No room for anything imaginative or distinctly LEGO.
LEGO owes everyone an apology.
Everything must be portrayed 1:1 to it's real life counterpart

You did it guys, you won. I'm so proud of you. This was a test. Obviously nobody could possibly think differently about this subject without being a troll.

You could just talk, dude. No one else is talking about how the yellow figs are a war crime. You're making a way bigger deal out of this than anyone else.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

You could just talk, dude. No one else is talking about how the yellow figs are a war crime. You're making a way bigger deal out of this than anyone else.

I would argue that everyone else made it a big deal and that my posts/positions were misunderstood or ignored but, whatever it doesn't matter. I'm just gonna let it rest.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
People, can we stop feeding the troll please so they can go back to their bridge?

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

People, can we stop feeding the troll please so they can go back to their bridge?

We were already done here so you can stop.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Literally the only good reason to use that fancy pantsy ignore button is right here folks.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
A man with a plan

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you want your opinion on how 'minifig color doesn't matter at all because it didn't matter to me' to be taken seriously, maybe don't end your post with an "I identify as a ___" "joke".

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

pod6isjerks posted:

You did it guys, you won. I'm so proud of you. This was a test. Obviously nobody could possibly think differently about this subject without being a troll.
honestly I agree with your initial post more than I disagree but you gotta know you were kicking a hornets nest and then you stuck around here just sticking hornet stingers on your tongue like a weirdo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I identify as a red spaceman with a busted helmet, rubbed off logo, and a chewed on air tank.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Representation good, yellow privilege bad.

VVV: your "humor" is regressive and privileged, and deserves criticism and scrutiny. Your "lol you mad j/k" response proves your bad-faith position and lack of will to reflect on your position. Get lost or do better with yourself.

First of May fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 17, 2022

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

graventy posted:

If you want your opinion on how 'minifig color doesn't matter at all because it didn't matter to me' to be taken seriously, maybe don't end your post with an "I identify as a ___" "joke".

Well it was supposed to be light hearted humor given that I seem to be a shill for BIG YELLOW. Heard that was allowed here sometimes, or at least it used to be.
I'm just playing off the material given to me.

Sivart13 posted:

honestly I agree with your initial post more than I disagree but you gotta know you were kicking a hornets nest and then you stuck around here just sticking hornet stingers on your tongue like a weirdo

I felt my position wasn't that controversial and that maybe I wasn't really explaining myself well enough but eventually I learned it didn't matter what I said. The result was predetermined and I was branded with the scarlet T.

Waltzing Along posted:

I identify as a red spaceman with a busted helmet, rubbed off logo, and a chewed on air tank.

Nice

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just get rid of minifigs entirely. Only make creator expert cars.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Haha ok now we're really gonna have a fight

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

First of May posted:

Representation good, yellow privilege bad.

VVV: your "humor" is regressive and privileged, and deserves criticism and scrutiny. Your "lol you mad j/k" response proves your bad-faith position and lack of will to reflect on your position. Get lost or do better with yourself.

You're making a whole bunch of assumptions that aren't true at all. Please learn to function and co-exist around people you disagree with without instantly calling them a troll.
I stand by all the arguments I made. Chill out.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'd love to see some research on it too, to be honest. It's one of the most consistent things that came up when we were doing after-school LUG stuff (pre-COVID, I haven't gotten back into it post-COVID), regardless of where we were. One of the conversations I've had with a Black friend came about because he saw I have a grid container of different flesh tone heads and hands divided by color for the kids to have an easier time getting a figure that reflected them, and he thought that was interesting. His theory is in the way that kids (specifically white kids, and then broadly 'non-white-looking' kids) tend to view white as the 'default' option because nerd culture has historically had 'white' as the default up until the last few years. White kids see white people represented as the 'default' in media, so the 'default' yellow color must also be the 'default' white. Brown kids especially haven't been historically shown that 'generic group of nerds' means 'brown kids like you', so I think 'the default color they make is white people' is the thought process in the same way that 'the normal BandAid color is the one that resembles white people's skins'. I don't think there's been an intentionally discriminatory aspect to any of it, but the absence of diverse skin tones in creative building is definitely noticed by younger builders. Anecdotally, white kids will take either the yellow heads or the light flesh tone ones, but darker skinned kids almost universally go for the darker skin tone figures. People pick what reflects their reality, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing this, good stuff. Sort of related but I got into a discussion in another thread with someone who was left-handed and seemed to be very aware of when other people did things with their left hands, whereas me a righty said I never even paid attention to what hand people did things with because I never really cared. I couldn't understand why he would even notice such a subtle thing. Since a lot of lefty's grow up being teased in grade school (because kids latch onto anything that makes someone different) or even forcibly made to do things right-handed it's a much bigger issue to them. It's all about personal experience and the reality they grew up with.

Testro
May 2, 2009
It's a bit like how making the generic faces more detailed was both great progress in lots of ways but accidentally regressive for gender representation.

With generic smilies, kids could use their imaginations and figs could be any combination of male and female characters.

But with detailed faces and adjusted torsos, the male/female characters were more defined - and most categories did not have an even ratio between male/female. Many only had one or two female figs.

On modular chat, the Police Station was my favourite recent build - Bookshop was ok, whereas I didn't enjoy the detailing on Corner Garage, but Police Station was great fun from start to finish. Haven't built the Hotel yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think there was any "cat's out of the bag" moment for lego. Society has evolved, if they had never introduced any minifig variation there would still be pressure/responsibility to give everyone the representation they deserve.

It's past due.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Did not think they being 50 posts behind on the Lego thread was going to be my drunk uncle melt down about diversity. It’s like I got an extra thanksgiving this year!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

La La Land MOC here we come

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Looks like Target has some sets on 50% off today. Some random cheap stuff, bunch of dots sets. But I did see the Queer Eye set and the Lego Art: Art Project at 50% off and in stock local to me.

https://www.target.com/pl/219902958

I think it’s today only, so might have to move fast. I might pick up that art project set. If nothing else, more of the backer boards would be nice, as I have tons of leftover pieces from the Star Wars Sith Art set from making the giant x3 Vader. So being able to make one or two of the smaller ones on the cheap would be nice.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Testro posted:

It's a bit like how making the generic faces more detailed was both great progress in lots of ways but accidentally regressive for gender representation.

With generic smilies, kids could use their imaginations and figs could be any combination of male and female characters.

But with detailed faces and adjusted torsos, the male/female characters were more defined - and most categories did not have an even ratio between male/female. Many only had one or two female figs.

On modular chat, the Police Station was my favourite recent build - Bookshop was ok, whereas I didn't enjoy the detailing on Corner Garage, but Police Station was great fun from start to finish. Haven't built the Hotel yet.

You're spot on with this. I was also thinking that before the licensed minifigs, I always interpreted some yellow minifigs as different races/colors of skin and it wasn't a problem - the pirates theme I imagined as being a crew from all over the place, for instance. Or a bit after my lego time, any of these guys from the Western Indian subtheme

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=6766-1&viewItemType=M

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cojawfee posted:

:hmmyes:

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Orvin posted:

Looks like Target has some sets on 50% off today. Some random cheap stuff, bunch of dots sets. But I did see the Queer Eye set and the Lego Art: Art Project at 50% off and in stock local to me.

https://www.target.com/pl/219902958

I think it’s today only, so might have to move fast. I might pick up that art project set. If nothing else, more of the backer boards would be nice, as I have tons of leftover pieces from the Star Wars Sith Art set from making the giant x3 Vader. So being able to make one or two of the smaller ones on the cheap would be nice.

I feel like I never get in on these.

I picked up the Friends houseboat for my daughter, the art project and the little Mandalore set with Ahsoka and Maul but it’s so far away I might just let it cancel.

Thanks for rounding out Christmas for me!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

xzzy posted:

It's past due.

Hard disagree. There's no onus on Lego to have minifigures that represent every race and culture just because people have gotten more selfish and demanding. People don't "deserve" representation from a plastic children's toy that was originally meant to represent all people which is much more inclusive. It would have been better to stay with that yellow and plain face that relied on children's imagination.

But then Lego wouldn't exist because they wouldn't have made all these licensing deals and movie tie-ins which brought it on in the first place. :shrug:

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Vote for me and I’ll make every minifigure purple since no one can be purple in real life.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wtf lego thread? :stare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
OK LEGO Thread let's move on. No more last wording it. If you want to discuss lego diversity and how it should or shouldn't be implemented I would suggest D&D.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Slugworth posted:

I'm not particularly worried about representation in Lego, but your points are all silly.

They’re not just silly, they’re ignorant and disgusting.

e: I was behind but I’m leaving it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 17, 2022

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

IG-88 posted:

I feel like I never get in on these.

I picked up the Friends houseboat for my daughter, the art project and the little Mandalore set with Ahsoka and Maul but it’s so far away I might just let it cancel.

Thanks for rounding out Christmas for me!

That’s why I posted. Seemed to be a pretty decent deal on the art project. I did end up ordering a copy for myself. When I went looking at the other less fabulous deals, got the Christmas Penguin for $7.50, and a Friends recycling truck for 25% off at $15.

I also saw the Mickey Mouse Lego Art on sale for like $80, which doesn’t seem like a bad price.

I kinda regret not getting some Iron Man sets when they were in print to make the huge Iron Man wall art, but my thumbs are not that broken up over it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The space figure portrait of the art project is blatant nostalgia pandering but it does look really good once on the wall. I did mod mine to adjust some of the colors though, they had some weird choices on some of the color transitions and in the star field.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If anyone is placing a Target order, they have the Speed Champions Bond Aston Martin DB5 76911 for $18 instead of $20 but not listed as a sale.

$2 is $2.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

EEKA GEEK posted:

Yellow Lando was a missed opportunity

Saying this again. Could have saved a lot of headaches!

The Titanic is $300+ more on Lego.ca than it was on launch, pre-price increase :stare: lol

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There was a tiger earlier this year, and soon there'll be a rabbit.
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/majestic-tiger-31129
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/white-rabbit-31133
Is this the quiet start of a Chinese Zodiac series?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No butthole, no interest.

But yes, next year is year of the rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Of course it had to be a white rabbit instead of a brown one. :argh: Lego

One a more serious note I like the idea of them doing one of these each year. Also the picture of the bunny with the ears down definitely got a "aww" out of me.