Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s certainly a bold title choice. No clue what the hell is going to happen if this song makes it to promotions

They're really posting through it, huh? Interesting choice where most of your group is in active rebellion and the ones who aren't probably aren't because of visa issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Either they caved and paid up (doubtful given Hyunjin's posts about the comeback) or more likely the MV and song were filmed before the Chuu situation blew up and there will be no active promos, just BBC cashing in on the girls one last time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:negative:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that’s to be expected. At least it’s not another “Annyeonghaseyo, JYP imnida…”

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Billlie (especially Tsuki) are too good at bg choreo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6D3bfSL7qU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Suyeon op.

I refuse to use her dumb stage name.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shawn! That cover is so good.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaWcBFYKTT4

I was at this very moment wondering if Minho has any solo work and there it is. It's nice, I'll pick up the album probably. I don't know Shinee at all but have been blown away by both Taemin and Key's solos in recent years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

his song from last year (also on this album) is also a banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRLou1OngWQ

def recommend doing a deep dive on all Shinee MVs at the least. And don't skip their Japanese discography, it's just as big and maybe even better.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Bottom Liner posted:

his song from last year (also on this album) is also a banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRLou1OngWQ

def recommend doing a deep dive on all Shinee MVs at the least. And don't skip their Japanese discography, it's just as big and maybe even better.

I wish i loved it. So I happened to see a Taemin show streamed live at some point, I wasn't paying any attention and right in the middle of Want I went "wait what IS this". Criminal had me entirely hooked. Key then grabbed me with Bad Love but I didn't get on at all with his second album. I have a hard time making friends in kpop even though I want to, I'll dive into Shinee for real some time

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
my top 10 best girl group songs 2022

1.antifragile - le sserafim

2. I Want U Baby - stayc

3. hype boy - newjeans

4. DM - fromis_9

5. pink venom - blackpink

6. run2u - stayc

7. talk that talk - twice

8. Blue Flame - le sserafim

9. stay this way - fromis_9

10. smiley - yena ft bibi

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I like that they split up Jinni's parts between Kyujin, Jiwoo, and Bae. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBgqe9MMAI

Jinni's energy deffo missed tho :smith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I just saw this.
https://twitter.com/reminniescence/status/1602249238397669376
Shuhua is the best, lmao.

from here, timestamped, ahh poo poo's hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkA7KMwJYc&t=589s

teagone fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 13, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
THE HAIRCUTS

THE RAPS

THE SNOWBOARDING

my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7cebaG8gGo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

KBS festival streaming atm, NMIXX's stage was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryUlwn1Vwuk

Loved this collab stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRLDpWiFPKw

Looking forward to the JYP Nation stage in a bit!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i like the arrangement of love dive they did more than the original

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, same with parts of the Dice remix there. Also it never ceases to blow my mind when groups learn entirely new intricate choreo for a song they've performed 100s of times for a single performance.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

eunbi is so funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3F4bcvXo5U

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

eating only apples posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaWcBFYKTT4

I was at this very moment wondering if Minho has any solo work and there it is. It's nice, I'll pick up the album probably. I don't know Shinee at all but have been blown away by both Taemin and Key's solos in recent years.

Do I like it because it's a good song or do I like it because it's a SHINee-related song, I guess we'll never know. I liked Heartbreak better.

e. This however is a bad song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgcp1oDk2M

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 16, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I thought Runaway was better at first but Chase has really grown on me.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My top 10 of the year:
Fromis_9 - DM
Rocket Punch - Chiquita
Moonbyul - CITT
Itzy - Voltage
Loona - Flip That
Ive - After Like
Twice - Talk That Talk
Itzy - Boys Like You
Viviz - Loveade
Sorn - Sharp Objects

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Top 10:
Hype Boy - NewJeans
The Weekend (MILLI remix) - Bibi
Sparkling - Chung Ha
Smiley - Yena (feat. Bibi)
Cheshire - ITZY
Eleven - IVE
INVU - TAEYEON
Generation - Acid Angel from Asia
Forever 1 - Girls Generation
Glitch - Kwon Eun Bi

Honorable Mention:
The rest of NewJeans’ EP
All of Lowlife Princess (I think the album works best as a whole)
Cheshire B-sides
Multiple Twice singles (Talk That Talk, Celebrate, Just Be Yourself)
Pop - Nayeon
Bop Bop - VIVIZ
Smartphone - Yena

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Just finished attending both nights of NiziU at the Kyocera Dome in Osaka - they streamed the second show. Super fun & cute. Was pretty much all of their songs + some great special stages, a couple inspired by Nizi Project. You're still not allowed to actually cheer in Japan which was a bit of a bummer, as was being in the top tier for both shows (tickets were a flat price & seemingly randomly allocated?), though with how hard it was to get tickets period (Tokyo Dome sold out seconds after going on general sale), at least I was there.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

dshban posted:

Just finished attending both nights of NiziU at the Kyocera Dome in Osaka - they streamed the second show. Super fun & cute. Was pretty much all of their songs + some great special stages, a couple inspired by Nizi Project. You're still not allowed to actually cheer in Japan which was a bit of a bummer, as was being in the top tier for both shows (tickets were a flat price & seemingly randomly allocated?), though with how hard it was to get tickets period (Tokyo Dome sold out seconds after going on general sale), at least I was there.

NiziU owns, and yeah typically concerts in Korea are a flat price, and usually general admission so first come first serve, not surprised to hear Japan is similar for pricing.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

In love with this new NewJeans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSUydWEqKwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V37TaRdVUQY

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hybe production/mastering is so clean now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that video is super cool and the sound is fuckin' amazing, wow. i love it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The videos rule, they very easily could have just dropped the song or made some sort of comp video of their huge ascent but they made a pair of incredibly well made works that fit the song as well as tell their own story. I like the interpretation that they represent the fan/group relationship from each side of the equation.

The song still has that magic, too, I think it stands right alongside the EP tracks, especially because it doesn’t feel like it’s too similar a vibe to any of them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, love this.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

More info about the Chuu/LOONA/BBC contract situation has been released by (ugh) Dispatch. Apparently, unlike most modern contracts which have a profit split between agency and idols, LOONA's have disparate cost (50/50 agency/idols) and revenue (70/30 agency/idols) splits. The long and short of these splits are that unless any project the girls are involved in hits 40% profit margins, the members just get deeper in debt. This kind of predatory contract wasn't unheard of back in the 1st gen and a bit of 2nd gen days, but it fell out of favor once people realized it's barely removed from slave labor.

No wonder Chuu bounced. Time to torch BBC and salt the earth.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

the leaked text was hilarious:

chuu - please don't lie. there is nothing scheduled that i skipped, and you people don't have the ability to get any schedules anyway

:lmao:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

40% profit margins are insane. You basically own them for life.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I can't stop listening Ditto. That drum and bass is so good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ive played it like 15 times, might trigger a seasonal nostalgia depressive episode

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i read that big rear end thread on r/kpop and i....do not understand how the industry works. is it to be assumed that 95% of the artists are like a quarter million dollars in debt to a bunch of sound and costume companies while a couple old guys in suits cash any checks that come in? h...how. why would you even enter into something like that? 1% chance that you could eventually become the biggest star and get like the income of your average office drone or something?

on a separate but not that unrelated note i'm trying to expand my horizons and find some stuff so i can do something besides hump dreamcatcher and itzy leg. magic strawberry sound seems like a cool thing, any other suggestions? i like somewhat upbeat stuff in general but can do a torch song now and then

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think cases like LOONA are the especially problematic ones where the label margins are good enough where it makes sense for them to keep producing the group but the contract is unfavorable enough to the members that they arent making any money (and maybe unfavorable enough that chuu got a court to nullify it?). i'm under the impression the labels (at least the significant ones) aren't collecting from members if an act ultimately doesn't pan out, or if a trainee gets dismissed, and they only collect the debt if there's enough profit to do so. so if the best case scenario is you're in BTS and the perceived worst case scenario is either you never debut or they dissolve the group and you have enough fans to be an influencer while you go to school or become a youtube creator then that doesn't make it sound so bad. but if they keep you in that grey zone for 7 years first then its a lot of work and a long wait to get there. or the actual worst case scenario where the CEO physically assaults you or etc

theoretically its not significantly different from how western record labels (used to) work, except the added 'training' expenses which are basically big student loans. in the west a label would sign somebody and front them $250,000 to record an album and get a stylist or whatever and then the contract guaranteed the label recouped all their expenses before the profits start getting paid out. and there was probably some split negotiated on the profits for x many albums. of course the real money used to come from song-writing because the songwriters would get paid whenever a song was on the radio, so if you were in a band and wrote your own songs then you would have that separate income stream that the label probably wasn't getting a piece of. whereas in kpop the artists are maybe contributing lyrics to one or two tracks on an album and that's going to be split amongst the 5-10 other writers on each one. and then the training costs guarantee the amount to be recouped has a big initial principal

but yes short answer is the established capital makes the money and the labor gets the scraps

edit re lee seung-gi apparently he was doing well enough outside of music that the label ended up paying him $4m and he said he's donating it all. but yeah the way the system works is also why idols largely come from money now, see also today's nepo baby discourse

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 19, 2022

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Super No Vacancy posted:

edit re lee seung-gi apparently he was doing well enough outside of music that the label ended up paying him $4m and he said he's donating it all. but yeah the way the system works is also why idols largely come from money now, see also today's nepo baby discourse

His agency supposedly paid him according to his contract for his acting, hosting, and commercials, but then strung him along for literally a decade and a half telling him his music was negative profit, and that they were doing him a solid by not counting it against his income, all while pocketing the 4 million that was actually his share. And now he has no reason to believe that they ever paid him correctly. So even if you're one of the highest paid and most beloved celebrities in Korea, with decades of earning potential still ahead of you, the industry still fucks you over.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

catching up and the difference between yooa’s first solo and latest comeback is pretty wild but she has a nice depth to her voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think cases like LOONA are the especially problematic ones where the label margins are good enough where it makes sense for them to keep producing the group but the contract is unfavorable enough to the members that they arent making any money (and maybe unfavorable enough that chuu got a court to nullify it?). i'm under the impression the labels (at least the significant ones) aren't collecting from members if an act ultimately doesn't pan out, or if a trainee gets dismissed, and they only collect the debt if there's enough profit to do so. so if the best case scenario is you're in BTS and the perceived worst case scenario is either you never debut or they dissolve the group and you have enough fans to be an influencer while you go to school or become a youtube creator then that doesn't make it sound so bad. but if they keep you in that grey zone for 7 years first then its a lot of work and a long wait to get there. or the actual worst case scenario where the CEO physically assaults you or etc

As far as I know, the only companies that will not collect your trainee debt are the big 3 (SM, JYPE, YG). And they will only waive that debt if you debut. Maybe some of the HYBE labels also forgive debt, but it seems to depend-- for instance, we already have confirmation that NewJeans did not have their debt waived, since there was a recent news article of them already making enough to have paid it off and begin making personal profit.

There are plenty of groups one would assume make decent to good money, who only break even to begin making a profit years into the career-- and some are still paying after disbandment.

Trainee debt is more like a student loan than anything. It's when you get into the issues of the old style slave contracts, things like what LOONA members are under, where it becomes a lot more hosed up.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 20, 2022