Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Clarste posted:

Also he has a funny little wave.

I hate that dumb little wave. Its a stupid anime trope you see everywhere and I dont even watch a lot of anime!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watch tons of anime and I can't think of any time I've seen that wave in it lol

I guess all the bad guys in Cold Steel walk off while waving but it's not really the same

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hmm, I would say that the general idea of giving a casual wave without turning around is pretty common, but his specific floppy-hand dead fish wave is a little more unique to him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At least he doesn't push up his glasses and catch the light on them, obscuring his eyes while smiling.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Clarste posted:

Hmm, I would say that the general idea of giving a casual wave without turning around is pretty common, but his specific floppy-hand dead fish wave is a little more unique to him.

This is not a distinction I'm prepared to give much weight

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

Also, Ultimecia isn't Rinoa. Ultimecia is cool and good. Rinoa is bad and garbage.

*loads dog*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I watch tons of anime and I can't think of any time I've seen that wave in it lol

I guess all the bad guys in Cold Steel walk off while waving but it's not really the same

same, even putting aside how silly it always is to do the thing where you get arbitrarily upset at thinking you recognized something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i hate anime tropes, like waving

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I hate anime tropes, like being a cool and fun character

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hate that anime trope of being a bitchy gay aristocrat

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The Emet-Selch in Shadowbringers is p much a completely different character than the Emet-Selch in endwalker

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve only gotten as far as what I assume is the end of Shadowbringers but my take is he’s a fun villain insofar as I had a good time being expected to dislike/distrust him, which is the mark of a well written baddie for me. It’s been so long that I have completely forgotten his motivations and all that but I recall a lot of back and forth of like “is he full of poo poo or is he actually right about what he’s saying, and how much is this him loving with us to further his own ends”. I enjoyed the tenuous partnership elements.

It helps a lot that the flowery dialogue by this point in 14 is like sipping on a fine wine.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

emet is cool and all, and I enjoyed learning what his deal is, but I don't understand all the stuff the game does that treats him like he's your best friend or something

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

His motivation is that he pines for the old days when killer slime monsters roamed the streets of the cities.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

emet is cool and all, and I enjoyed learning what his deal is, but I don't understand all the stuff the game does that treats him like he's your best friend or something

he's like a sad, mean version of phil jackson. he wants the best from you and honestly hopes you'll impress him but he's loving pissed if you blow a championship game and he's armed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Emet-Selch is just another boomer dickhead raging cuz he cant understand why you dont want the same thing he does

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna start pushing 'Auron is Alive' as a counterpoint to Squall is Dead theories with sources that links back in on itself and barely says anything

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

fridge corn posted:

The Emet-Selch in Shadowbringers is p much a completely different character than the Emet-Selch in endwalker

I mean that's sort of the point, he's old and tired and sick of this poo poo and just going through the motions. That's what's supposed to be conveyed by his slouch and weird floppy hand wave, among other things.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

fridge corn posted:

I hate that dumb little wave. Its a stupid anime trope you see everywhere and I dont even watch a lot of anime!!

I assure that waving in a distinctive way isn’t an anime trope

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Wolfsheim posted:

Two tidbits from the ending of the world of balance in FFVI:

-I don't know if it was added in the later translation but Gestahl telling Celes to join them so she and Kefka can father a bunch of Magitek children is way more disturbing than I remember

The Celes x Kefka breeding, iirc, was in the original script and got written over in the initial translation, as I recall, then brought back in the newer revised stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Yeah this is kind of weird, because the guy is like 10000x as bad as Zenos in terms of his actual crimes. I think he's a great character, but the game seems a bit too quick to be like "eh it happened a long time ago" about the whole "bunch of genocides" issue. I think it's good that the game still views him with empathy, but it deliberately makes his crimes feel more abstract due to all the victims being effectively nameless (since I doubt the WoL would be all buddy-buddy with him if G'raha died from his gunshot wound before they could track him down at the end of Shadowbringers)

NieR Occomata posted:

Until shadowbringers Emet-Selch is just a weird prick who fucks with you, but in a way that’s genuinely pretty funny and makes you enjoy the times he comes by to mess with you. During shadowbringers, they basically end up actually explaining who he is and what his plans are and it explains his weird assholey initial behavior as a way to mask deep pain, but sir I am Pagliacci style. Basically he’s a bad guy and he’s wrong but he’s introduced with so much charisma and is so genuinely funny and likeable, and the stuff you learn about his backstory in Shadowbringers ends up making you feel like he’s a villain who is 100% justified in his actions. That’s an incredibly, incredibly difficult line for the game to walk, wherein you feel both that you have to put a stop to him but also that what he’s doing makes sense and isn’t evil in a traditionally defined sense.

But Emet Selch doesn't even encounter the WoL until Shadowbringers? IIRC he first shows up in some post-Stormblood patch cutscenes with the Garlean Emperor.

NieR Occomata posted:

Ultimecia theory is narratively and thematically satisfying, and is partially even alluded to in the text of the work itself, even if unintentional. Squall is Dead is bullshit rear end Author is Dead fanwank wherein it’s a race by people who took their first Film Studies 101 class trying to come up with the most “out there” (that’s actually super cliched but whatever) fan theory and then backfill a justification. Basically it’s Room 237 but for weebs.

Yeah I don't think the two theories are comparable at all. Also this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucSKdCbteMQ&t=250s. There's also the thing with Squall's face being obscured with a black hole, though in the context that happens in it's likely just referring to Squall forgetting who he is or something.

All the evidence is completely circumstantial, but there's quite a bit of it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

This is amazing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The anime trope of being flippant to people you don't like.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fridge corn posted:

Emet-Selch is just another boomer dickhead raging cuz he cant understand why you dont want the same thing he does

That's literally the point you dingus!!! He's a different person after 15000 years of being one of the 3 people in existance that remember his home existed

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah this is kind of weird, because the guy is like 10000x as bad as Zenos in terms of his actual crimes. I think he's a great character, but the game seems a bit too quick to be like "eh it happened a long time ago" about the whole "bunch of genocides" issue. I think it's good that the game still views him with empathy, but it deliberately makes his crimes feel more abstract due to all the victims being effectively nameless (since I doubt the WoL would be all buddy-buddy with him if G'raha died from his gunshot wound before they could track him down at the end of Shadowbringers)

the game shows empathy for Zenos, too.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

man nurse posted:

I’ve only gotten as far as what I assume is the end of Shadowbringers but my take is he’s a fun villain insofar as I had a good time being expected to dislike/distrust him, which is the mark of a well written baddie for me. It’s been so long that I have completely forgotten his motivations and all that but I recall a lot of back and forth of like “is he full of poo poo or is he actually right about what he’s saying, and how much is this him loving with us to further his own ends”. I enjoyed the tenuous partnership elements.

It helps a lot that the flowery dialogue by this point in 14 is like sipping on a fine wine.
it's really funny that the eldritch turbo wizard's plan to preserve his millennia-old grand design and prevent a magic ritual self sacrifice that one of the wisest and most powerful mages in the universe dedicated his entire life to completing with over a century of build-up and preparation is just "i'm gonna shoot the guy with a gun right at the end and then bail"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

One thing I will say about Emet-Selch is that not even the Shadowbringers version of Emet-Selch was as bad as the big bad from Endwalker jesus.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cock hero flux posted:

it's really funny that the eldritch turbo wizard's plan to preserve his millennia-old grand design and prevent a magic ritual self sacrifice that one of the wisest and most powerful mages in the universe dedicated his entire life to completing with over a century of build-up and preparation is just "i'm gonna shoot the guy with a gun right at the end and then bail"

And it almost works. I'm not entirely certain why it didn't.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

jokes posted:

And it almost works. I'm not entirely certain why it didn't.

it does work, it's just that a mostly different plan succeeds later

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Am I missing something or is Crisis Core's combat pretty braindead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You got fight, defend, magic, what more do you need

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No it’s pretty braindead, but it was fun and flashy for a portable game

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

it's still night and day compared to the PSP version, so I guess just be thankful we have the remake lol

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Aside from recency-bias, why do people like Emet-Selch that much?

Unbelievably enormous, perfectly-proportioned hog.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Agents are GO! posted:

that he can expertly manipulate into the shape of a hand, waving at the player as he walks away

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's pretty braindead, though it's kind of fun taking advantage of its various materia/equipment to break it early into the game, sorta like FF8's junction system. I'm in chapter 4 and have the Hell -aga spells with Status Ward, this bullshit defense-bypassing "Darkness" ability, and an item that makes my attacks hit with all elements' damage type.

Also it's silly how you can essentially keep an endless stock of MP/AP recovery items.

edit: Also when I'll be like "drat this fight is a bit tough" and suddenly I get the option to press Y and have Odin kill everyone

edit2: The one advice of sorts that I could see someone missing is that it seems pretty important to stack up your HP (and you can do this pretty easily using materia fusion). I was able to punch above my weight class (so to speak) by having like +150-200% HP, since being able to survive a single hit is often enough to beat higher-level encounters, since you can space healing items or spells pretty easily.

Augus posted:

the game shows empathy for Zenos, too.

Yeah, but you can have empathy alongside judgement, and the WoL's perspective towards Zenos is very different from Emet Selch. The "default" WoL perspective towards Zenos is generally "gently caress this guy" up until the very end (even if you have an option to be like "I kind of like him personally even if he still needs to die for what he's done").

I like Emet Selch and think he's a very good character (and all his actions are entirely understandable given his history/motivations), but I don't think there's any denying that the game/characters' perspectives would have been very different if he had killed an actual familiar "named" character at some point.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 19, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Agents are GO! posted:

:confused:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

jokes posted:

that he can expertly manipulate into the shape of a hand, waving at the player as he walks away

Animated like Xehanort's excessive hand motions.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

they made it a lot faster and more punchy but it was never a very complex game and that remains the case. it's a PSP game at heart, designed to be easy to pick up and do a few missions during bus rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Wait what the gently caress why is Wakka so popular all of a sudden? Did they do an FF14 event with him or something? I don't play FF14