Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The chimney is still in use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Something tells me it shouldn't be

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

poo poo, to my understanding of Vancouver real estate you got a smoking deal if it was anything under a million.

It's a suburb not Vancouver proper (not Surry either tho). This would be about 1.2M in Vancouver.

I think I paid $50/sqft less than average for my area, which was still over 100k above asking price. Gotta go hard in the market here and yeah it's probably come down since I bought in the spring but I was feeling a lot of pressure to just get into the market before I was completely priced out.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

My plan is to buy as much land in Alaska as possible, because when my great -grandkids inherit it it'll be the only livable land in the US.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

First of May posted:

My plan is to buy as much land in Alaska as possible, because when my great -grandkids inherit it it'll be the only livable land in the US.

Good plan, because currently "livable" is optimistic.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

s-s-s-smokin!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

First of May posted:

Nah, the Midwest is gonna become even more of an agricultural power house. Buy land in the Midwest, cash out in 50 years to a megafarm that grows soylent and then buy a condo in Megacity One.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

First of May posted:

Alaskan land is more expensive than you'd think.

I tend to float around on zillow a lot looking for land. Alaska, Montana, Wyoming. All a lot pricier than you'd expect. Cheapest pockets of land are east Washington, east Oregon, and southern Colorado.

Want 40 acres? You can get that for $30k here in the San Luis Valley. Won't be growing poo poo on it, though.

Agricultural land in the midwest is like, $10k an acre. Lol.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If I had a bunch of spare cash I would be buying up land in Michigan's upper peninsula. I've seen at least one article (study? idk) saying the UP will be last area of the lower 48 not hit with constant draught/wildfires/sea level rise/other natural disasters by 2100. The Marquette area is especially nice imho, and even has pretty good fiber availability if you wanted to relocate there right now, which probably can't be said for middle of nowhere Alaska, Montana, or Wyoming.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Sirotan posted:

If I had a bunch of spare cash I would be buying up land in Michigan's upper peninsula. I've seen at least one article (study? idk) saying the UP will be last area of the lower 48 not hit with constant draught/wildfires/sea level rise/other natural disasters by 2100. The Marquette area is especially nice imho, and even has pretty good fiber availability if you wanted to relocate there right now, which probably can't be said for middle of nowhere Alaska, Montana, or Wyoming.

I believe you're referring to the 51st state, the state of Superior.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sirotan posted:

Winters will be nice in 2100, but they sure suck there right now.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sirotan posted:

A buddy of mine moved to Marquette a couple of years ago at roughly the same time we moved to Milwaukee, and those reasons were all part of the calculus on both our parts. A nearly ceaseless supply of fresh water is going to be quite the attractive feature in the coming decades.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dienes posted:

Winters will be nice in 2100, but they sure suck there right now.

I guess it's all relative. I grew up on the west side of Michigan and now live on the SE side, and desperately miss the lake effect. We just don't get enough snow here at all and it sucks.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sirotan posted:

That house with the kitchen urinals just sold, and you'll never guess at what price:

$169,420

I had my wife look this up on MLS since it has such a suspicious price. She says that not only is that the legit price, but there were multiple offers (original list price was only $150k) and that offer had a seller concession of $420.

I'm now convinced she's part of the vast conspiracy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Beef Of Ages posted:

A buddy of mine moved to Marquette a couple of years ago at roughly the same time we moved to Milwaukee, and those reasons were all part of the calculus on both our parts. A nearly ceaseless supply of fresh water is going to be quite the attractive feature in the coming decades.

Out of curiosity I took a look at properties for sale in Marquette and came up with this... weirdness.

Does somebody want to try to explain this kitchen? Because I can't figure it out. It looks like was designed to fit into an old-timey passenger train car.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1308-Pioneer-Rd-Marquette-MI-49855/106480004_zpid/

The sauna-bathroom is also pretty wtf.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Out of curiosity I took a look at properties for sale in Marquette and came up with this... weirdness.

Does somebody want to try to explain this kitchen? Because I can't figure it out. It looks like was designed to fit into an old-timey passenger train car.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1308-Pioneer-Rd-Marquette-MI-49855/106480004_zpid/

The dishwasher is plugged in by snaking an extension cord out to plug into an outlet above the counter. I think the explanation is "dude with money, some tools, a whole bunch of time but no design sense."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sirotan posted:

I guess it's all relative. I grew up on the west side of Michigan and now live on the SE side, and desperately miss the lake effect. We just don't get enough snow here at all and it sucks.

I grew up in same place and that is why I moved to a warmer state. gently caress snow.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dienes posted:

I grew up in same place and that is why I moved to a warmer state. gently caress snow.

I lived in the South for 15 years. gently caress humidity.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The sauna is a regular feature, but everything else is Yooper-chic with a heavy dose of Yooper engineering. Which is to say I love it.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I lived in the South for 15 years. gently caress humidity.

Forever and ever, amen. Both my buddy in Marquette and I grew up in Houston. Never again.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Toilet-Sauna sounds amazing

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This house is oozing with DIY Non-inspection type repairs and construction. Everything about it screams bad decision making. Especially where they partitioned their land, and lost access to the main road. This is a potential nightmare in the making. I wouldn't touch it unless I was planning on fully rebuilding after a forest fire.

I can guarantee you there is going to be questionable daisy chain electrical wiring, poorly sloped drains, The deck, and the land out back got all slope towards the house, and those multiple additions are not properly sealed together. It's going to smell like mold because of all the hidden water damage

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 20, 2022

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Here's one for Motronic

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinfuriating/comments/zq3uzz/told_our_landlord_to_replace_our_gas_fireplace/

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Good loving God that landlord should not be allowed anywhere near tools. What an absolute loving idiot. $10 says he even hosed up the vent & intake pipes

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It'd be cool if it vibrated and walked itself around the room

Stretch away one inch and tap dance in place

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

First of May posted:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Alaskan land is more expensive than you'd think.

I tend to float around on zillow a lot looking for land. Alaska, Montana, Wyoming. All a lot pricier than you'd expect. Cheapest pockets of land are east Washington, east Oregon, and southern Colorado.

Want 40 acres? You can get that for $30k here in the San Luis Valley. Won't be growing poo poo on it, though.

Agricultural land in the midwest is like, $10k an acre. Lol.

Don't forget to account for the rich profiting off the industry causing the pollution buying said investment for pennies after killing off the livelihoods of the poor.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
agh I was just coming here to post that furnace, you jerk

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HolHorsejob posted:

Good loving God that landlord should not be allowed anywhere near tools. What an absolute loving idiot. $10 says he even hosed up the vent & intake pipes

Supposedly the landlord paid an hvac company money to do this and they gave no fucks.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

HolHorsejob posted:

Looks like the intake pipe is pulling air from inside the room so I'd be impressed if he hosed that up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well the person who lives there, his girlfriends uncle is the fire chief so I wish I could be a fly on that wall.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Your mom takes her vaping habit seriously I see.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

YouTube channel dedicated to yakuza history and news.

Here's a video that shows half the branch offices in my area. If you like crumbling concrete from the 1970s with too many cars parked outside, then you are going to love this!

https://youtu.be/gX9GpfsilgY

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I kinda like it. It's weird, yes, but looks comfortable to me.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
im the smallish piece of land with no house worth more than all the actual houses

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

pretty sure that had to be a mix up between "fireplace" and "furnace". HVAC guys don't care, probably seen much worse decisions for rental units.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

An independent review of the UCSB Dorm from Hell building plan has predictably concluded that it’s a bad idea:

quote:

It would be “unwise for [the University of California Santa Barbara] to proceed” with building Munger Hall, better known on the internet as Dormzilla—the 4,500-bed residence hall planned for the University of California Santa Barbara thanks to a $200 million donation by billionaire investor and amateur architect Charles Munger with mostly windowless bedrooms—due to the “significant health and safety risks that are predictable enough, probable enough and consequential enough,” a panel of experts found according to a report obtained by Motherboard.

quote:

While the report cites reams of academic literature and extensive surveying to support its findings that the building plausibly jeopardizes the mental health and physical well-being of future UCSB students, perhaps the most telling aspect is that the word “prison” appears 41 times, including in a section titled “Massiveness and Density: Prison-like Design.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7k838e/independent-review-panel-finds-ucsbs-dormzilla-unwise-and-poses-significant-health-and-safety-risks

Sadly, no link to the actual report itself, but if anyone can find that I’d love to read it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

Correction: This article previously misidentified the city suing UCSB as Golina. It is Goleta. UCSB is not being sued by a small town in central Poland. We regret the error.

LOL.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Looks like the builder/owner knew about wood and nothing else. Even the light fixtures are wooden.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Luneshot posted:

An independent review of the UCSB Dorm from Hell building plan has predictably concluded that it’s a bad idea:

I'd have lived in a windowless concrete cell if it was single occupancy and had a bathroom rather than the poo poo I had to put up with when I was in a dorm. Not saying that's how Dormzilla is set up (I don't know), I'm just saying...windows are overrated.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I would have preferred a new building with no windows instead of the years I've done in various lovely old falling apart dorm rooms with single pane windows that did nothing to stop the sounds of first year drunk people outside. If they could have put windows in but decided not to for aesthetics I think that's a totally different and much worse problem.

I think it's a generational thing, kids who are now of dorm age are probably thinking about mental health so much more than 15-20 years ago when I was in dorms. Especially if someone has brought it up as an issue in a building, you put a random 17 year old in that building and maybe they're more susceptible to having issues.

e: at one place it became a game to sneak into each other's dorm rooms because you could open your window and reach out and push open your neighbours window next door, then barely climb out of your window and into theirs, where you'd like turn their CRT monitor on its side and then climb back. This was on the 3rd floor of the building and I never heard of anyone falling but it wouldn't surprise me.

e2: looking at the post below, wow nvm I don't want any kind of communal space like that at all ever.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'd have lived in a windowless concrete cell if it was single occupancy and had a bathroom rather than the poo poo I had to put up with when I was in a dorm. Not saying that's how Dormzilla is set up (I don't know), I'm just saying...windows are overrated.
https://twitter.com/spokanerising/status/1453927747277840388

Your windowless cell with just barely enough room for what you need to get through college, connected to a windowless common room shared with seven other randoms, connected to a windowless hallway with seven other similar pods. One end of that finally leads to a room with a meaningful view, the other brings you to yet another mostly artificially lit hallway.

The sixteen rooms on the outside walls get a single window, the other 496 per floor could easily go days without seeing natural light.

I love having good curtains to control the outside light and would certainly be about a windowless room for just my bed, but this place is insane.