Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The angel devil is a guy I think. At least Denji says as much I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The gender devil

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh. Hello there Kobeni's genius brother whose parents are hyper fixated on sending to college. I see they pressure you into doing things that directly endanger your safety just like they do your sister.

Yoshida popping up all "Hey Denji" got a laugh out of me. Yeah, he's definitely been stalking him this whole time. Which implies Yoshida saw Asa's fish lecture, yet another witness to her continued humiliation.

Poor Asa, she tries so hard.

Denji's infinite money hack honestly isn't a bad idea.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

kobeni has two hairclips and is second oldest, six clips on unnamed student council girl insinuates that this is the sixth-born higashiyama sister and with the scenario being a retread of eternity apartment bloc it’s telegraphing that she’ll be first to snap, but there’s a strong scent of subversion in the water.

haruka has a different surname than kobeni, did I miss something that hints stronger at their relation?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Just dawned on me that since Kobeni ended up ghosting her family at the end of Book 1 and they needed her money to send the smart son to college, he has to hunt devils now.

I mean he could be another sibling but lol if that's the case

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

MizuZero posted:

kobeni has two hairclips and is second oldest, six clips on unnamed student council girl insinuates that this is the sixth-born higashiyama sister and with the scenario being a retread of eternity apartment bloc it’s telegraphing that she’ll be first to snap, but there’s a strong scent of subversion in the water.

haruka has a different surname than kobeni, did I miss something that hints stronger at their relation?

Haruka Iseumi is the student council president who likes saying his own name. We haven't gotten a name for the possible Kobeni sibling.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The manga says older brother, and if related this would be a younger sibling.

Could be a translation error, or just a retcon, or the deja vu devil??

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ah I see, that’s on me for assuming hairclip haver is female

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think this episode might be the first one I kinda don't like. The mafia and Makima scene was good, Future Devil's voice isn't what I expected but isn't completely terrible, the changes feel like they're loving things up for later, like Kobeni being there from the get go and Power and Denji fighting the zombies already instead of Denji ditching Power on the elevator to fight them herself (which will probably still happen but I feel like this lessens that maybe). Oh, and the way Aki was just there in the manga and seemed like he had the handkerchief ready to go (the future rules!) also felt ruined. ED was kinda weak too imo but that's fine, actually it was more like a usual ED than the others that feel like they could be OPs. The fiends' voices all sound right to me, so that's cool at least.

New chapter was good, can't wait to see where this is going.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they're wearing a male uniform so that's what i'd assume but i wouldn't rule out something more complex

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Brightman posted:

I think this episode might be the first one I kinda don't like. The mafia and Makima scene was good, Future Devil's voice isn't what I expected but isn't completely terrible, the changes feel like they're loving things up for later, like Kobeni being there from the get go and Power and Denji fighting the zombies already instead of Denji ditching Power on the elevator to fight them herself (which will probably still happen but I feel like this lessens that maybe). Oh, and the way Aki was just there in the manga and seemed like he had the handkerchief ready to go (the future rules!) also felt ruined. ED was kinda weak too imo but that's fine, actually it was more like a usual ED than the others that feel like they could be OPs. The fiends' voices all sound right to me, so that's cool at least.

Power and Denji in the elevator starts with Power eating a zombie's arm, so it's probably still happening.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The gender devil

Gender reveal party devil

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Oh Asa, you might actually be more socially awful than Denji

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I actually really liked the episode overall. I was laughing at the very slow interaction between Angel and aki while the fiends crush zombies in the background. The new scenes were fine, idk if it matters to show that Kobeni is there and also I liked Makimas raid intervention.

I read the thread and expected the future devil voice to be way worse but it’s closer than I expected. I’m curious how the dub will sound.

I really liked how they animated the fiends in the fight scene too.

The ED might be my least favorite though. Song and visuals felt off theme for the show, but also for how the episode ends.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The manga says older brother, and if related this would be a younger sibling.

Could be a translation error, or just a retcon, or the deja vu devil??

Definitely not a translation error. Just flipped through my Japanese copy of volume 2, and the kanji is for older brother.

I expect that it'll come out in the wash, but right now, this chapter was kind of disappointing. Denji and Asa are funny being assholes to each other, but adding in all the Devil Hunter club characters dillutes that dynamic, and they're mostly boring so far. Might come to like them later, or they might die soon, but right now I'd put them below Nakamura on my favorite characters list, and getting less time with Denji and Asa to have them show up, while it'll probably pay off later, means the chapter is just gesturing at the first Eternity arc rather than doing anything new.

As for the anime, I was a bit disappointed with Makima's talk with Kishibe. In the manga, her expression when talking about how much good they could do was chipper and earnest, like she was just the happiest to be doing Good Things. Then Kishibe called her on her bullshit and she got a more villainious smile, like "Ha, you got me."

Here, her smile when talking about saving people was more villainious, so it felt less like she was doing a bit.

Makima and the Yakuza, meanwhile, was perfect.

Spuckuk posted:

No might about it. Denji started with very limited understanding of the rules of society, and still is a weirdo, but he's capable of being quite charming, and when he goes to a party, he's not a bring-down.

Asa, meanwhile, is much more normal, but that means she has less easy ways to grow, and more complicated ways to screw up.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

LostRook posted:

Power and Denji in the elevator starts with Power eating a zombie's arm, so it's probably still happening.

Yeah I think it will happen but I liked it better as their intro to the mission if that makes sense, but forgot Power had the arm so I guess it makes works.

I actually really liked the episode overall. I was laughing at the very slow interaction between Angel and aki while the fiends crush zombies in the background. The new scenes were fine, idk if it matters to show that Kobeni is there and also I liked Makimas raid intervention.

To me in a vacuum the episode is good, honestly it's good regardless, I guess it'd be more accurate to say it's just not up to par with the rest imo.

Aki originally says to Kobeni "I thought you quit" so I guess the surprise of her being there will be gone but it'll probably be fine. It's just that most of the changes they've done so far have been positive, additional scenes and like editing rather than script changes. I'm probably wrong about this.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 21, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spuckuk posted:

She definitely is. Also, she has just enough self-awareness to know just how bad she is at being social, but not enough self-awareness to know how to be better at social interaction. I'd say that's a much worse position to be in than Denji, who just powers through bad social interactions via sheer idiot confidence and apathy for social norms.

Asa cares more, and that makes it feel more tragic when she fails.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Asa is the perfect follow up protagonist to Denji as she's just as much of an idiot without the boundless confidence that gets him through things.

Not-Kobeni is a fun character because I have no clue if they'll die in the next chapter or hang on through the rest of the story.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yoshida is innocent, he's probably just there to get information about octopi. It's Asa's time to shine!

I really like Yoshida just appearing and doing the "I'm just a normal guy, not an insanely hot and incredibly strong devil hunter. Pay me no mind!" schtick.

Denji finally having the perfect chance to reveal his identity blocked by Yoshida again

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also the biggest danger to everyone else in the aquarium is 100% Denji finding out this dude is stealing his thunder

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Denji finally having the perfect chance to reveal his identity blocked by Yoshida again

I mean, does he want to right now?

Asa has zeroed out Denji's interest in her, and there's only weird dudes other than her. With no hot girls to impress, what's even the point of revealing a secret ID?

Best to just exploit the infinite money cheat as long as he can.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

aren't all the bills going to have the same serial number

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
For no particular reason, I decided to save this shot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, does he want to right now?

Asa has zeroed out Denji's interest in her, and there's only weird dudes other than her. With no hot girls to impress, what's even the point of revealing a secret ID?

Best to just exploit the infinite money cheat as long as he can.

It was mostly a silly joke. Though I do think it is interesting now is the one time he could do it without Yoru finding out. I also think it's possible he tries to reveal it to the group if the Devil Hunter Club slash Student Council President acts the big bollox and shows off his cord.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Brightman posted:

i'd maybe wait and see how it goes. Feels like the anime is doing a lot of work building up instead of just instantly showing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm pretty curious about Asa and Denji's next interaction now that she's been ostracised and shown to be a "loser". I feel like Fujimoto could do an offbeat comforting/sympathetic scene or something I just never see coming. Definitely keen to see it more than anything else next chapter.

Chapter overall is the first in a while I felt "that's all??" despite a decent amount actually happening.

lih
May 15, 2013

this arc is an imposter version of the eternity devil arc in the same way that there is an imposter chainsaw man at the moment

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
So do Arai and Violence Fiend have the same VA?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh yeah the stuff with them having respawning resources is interesting as it makes it seem like it's not infinity. Or perhaps just a different powers than the last incarnation. Asa getting a bar on her phone is also odd as stuff like clocks stopped moving in the hotel. I still think it's likely infinity though but not certain.

lih
May 15, 2013

if there is an eternity devil involved at all here it will be a fake one that's related to the fake chainsaw man

the rules are all very different despite the superficial similarities

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

lih posted:

this arc is an imposter version of the eternity devil arc in the same way that there is an imposter chainsaw man at the moment

Part 2 has been a mirror image of part 1 since the first chapter. In fact, the first chapters of part 1 and 2 are practically the same story.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

J-Man X posted:

So do Arai and Violence Fiend have the same VA?

No, but there's still plenty of evidence.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Ooh what if it’s an instant devil. Water refilling, money being on the floor over and over.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Brightman posted:

To me in a vacuum the episode is good, honestly it's good regardless, I guess it'd be more accurate to say it's just not up to par with the rest imo.

Yeah thats totally fair.

I honestly can't remember the last anime I've watched after completing the manga. Most times I get hooked by the anime, and then I jump in to the manga. CSM was the exception.

I think the things in the anime that Im less impressed by usually go unnoticed by the anime-only.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Yep, agreed 100%.

Edit: bleh, missed some posts.

Anyway I was thinking maybe it's just Pestilence. What if the water doesn't make you less thirsty? The food isn't filling and the money can't be spent cause it's got the same serial numbers or maybe it's all counterfeit? You can technically get cell service but it's barely even one bar.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 21, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah for the record Future Devil's voice isn't bad it's just a case of the anime VA not matching with what was in my head.

I like how he's animated!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EmmyOk posted:

Yoshida is innocent, he's probably just there to get information about octopi. It's Asa's time to shine!

I really like Yoshida just appearing and doing the "I'm just a normal guy, not an insanely hot and incredibly strong devil hunter. Pay me no mind!" schtick.

Plot twist: Yoshida actually adored Asa's fish lecture and has now started falling in love with her. He's the one guy on earth turned on by facts about star fish and dates with extremely ridged time schedules.

This whole situation is structured like an anime version of Fraiser with a classic mistaken identity farce at the center of it. The only difference is there's slightly more murder.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hope the anime still has time to end on the Makima date. It's more or less the resolution to the "do I have a heart" thing, and it gives Makima some dimension in a way the anime mostly hasn't yet.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
yeah like I'm fuzzy on the details of how this breaks down, is that realistic to get to ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

raocow posted:

yeah like I'm fuzzy on the details of how this breaks down, is that realistic to get to ?

It's not likely. There are four chapters to get to the door, and that would be packing a fifth chapter into the episode, when Chainsaw Man has mostly been going for three and a half or so.