Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Iron Crowned posted:

There was also the sequel, Futureworld, which I saw on TV once and fell asleep.

Then there's the Spielberg-directed threequel that my VCR ate as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

my VS order came in. Didn't get much since I dropped too much money on other Black Friday sales, but on to the stack they go

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat Shallow Grave is really good

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah shallow grave was real good

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure. I wish Infernal Affairs was available on its own though. For me it works best as a single movie. Plus it would cost less.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I almost jumped on scream in a steelbook for 14 bucks..but it's scream (2022) and you couldn't pay me to watch that again.

pretty cool how there's no way to tell from the front. almost like, that's on purpose :sigh:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I had the thought that maybe the little knife point extending from the bottom of the M was specifically for Scream 2022 but nope, it's always been there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

My lenticular cover got delivered to my old address. Hopefully the packaging was big enough that the USPS left it in the stairway instead of cramming it into the old mail box.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Getting Vinegar Syndrome order by Friday! Woohoo!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mine's supposed to be coming tomorrow :hellyeah:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/paleoartologist/status/1605115553466966017?s=46&t=yj0HAzScqmYGygLzZfThSg

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

My lenticular cover got delivered to my old address. Hopefully the packaging was big enough that the USPS left it in the stairway instead of cramming it into the old mail box.

:rip:

A few years ago I had a decent relationship with the landlord of a place i'd been moved out for over six months when someone's secret santa gift to me got delivered there (confusion over what my primary address was in Amazon.) I was able to go pick it up. I hope you can get your ridiculously-overvalued bit of cardboard!

Speaking of, yesterday I got confirmation that they sent out my dumb o-ring with my partners order, yaaay! Whether it would have happened without saying something, or if I hadn't placed another order, we'll never know. I am glad that this silly saga seems to be lurching to a finish. Looking forward to covering that insane Kino purchase with it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

I almost jumped on scream in a steelbook for 14 bucks..but it's scream (2022) and you couldn't pay me to watch that again.

pretty cool how there's no way to tell from the front. almost like, that's on purpose :sigh:

https://www.amazon.com/Scream-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B0BQ9B2HXC?tag=bluray-016-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Original Scream Steelbook getting re-released, at least!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The case for the 4k Lord of the Rings is ridiculous trash. All of the discs are falling off the thin holders and there is no way they ever could have stayed on.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Shiroc posted:

The case for the 4k Lord of the Rings is ridiculous trash. All of the discs are falling off the thin holders and there is no way they ever could have stayed on.

The current era of disc cases suck. Similar issue w my Westworld S4. Every disc can fall off out easily.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Finally received my Robin Hood from arrow though they already refunded me and I bought another from Amazon, lmao.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

The current era of disc cases suck. Similar issue w my Westworld S4. Every disc can fall off out easily.

Wild that y'all are talking about this. I just got done with the bullshit I'm about to post, before seeing it. On with the bullshit

I was swapping out my There Will Be Blood Blu from
its original standard Elite blue case into an Elite clear case. It has reversible art, both covers are great, and I have a ton of spare clear cases, so why not?

As I was handling the original 2008 blue case I noticed how much heavier it felt. Grabbed a modern Elite blue (NOT an Eco case! A real one) and was like yeah this is definitely lighter.

Old left, new right

But as I'm a horrible nerd and horrible nerds need to quantify poo poo, I busted out the ol' reliable scale.

(You can tell which button never gets used :pwn: )

Sure enough, new cases are 18g lighter than the old ones.

Observe that the support tab near the top on the inside runs the width of the case on the original, but is about 2" in the center for the new case. But the case thickness is reduced as well. I don't have any calipers handy so I cannot quantify this, apologies

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 21, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s not just the case itself either, the plastic film that keeps the artwork sleeve thing in place is noticeably thinner and shittier on new (wide release) Blu-rays. Hence why new poo poo constantly comes with wrinkles.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not just the case itself either, the plastic film that keeps the artwork sleeve thing in place is noticeably thinner and shittier on new (wide release) Blu-rays. Hence why new poo poo constantly comes with wrinkles.

Yeah they are! The glory days for hole media packaging were truly the 2000s. I think those goddamned Eco cases began popping up right around 2010, 11, it's been downhill since.

Related enough to finally post these pics from November 30.

When I got my Brooklyn Nine Nine complete series in a couple months ago, about half the cover arts were wrinkled. Not because of moisture and such, but they hadn't been trimmed properly. The worst one was season six, but 4 others were similarly wavy. They had just a bit of excess on the left edge, that is to say, the cut edge of the back covers. No way whoever was assembling could have missed it, they were obviously rushing the job. I didn't shoot photos of them in this state, I just immediately took them out and inserted them between the pages of the biggest, heaviest, most dimensionally-appropriate tome I had on hand, this $25 488-page magazine I bought a couple years ago for one damned article

I put under a stack of other magazines and whatnot and let it sit for a few weeks. They came out pretty great!

As I said, six was worst, and it still has a bit of wrinkle at the bottom front, though it doesn't show up in the photo. I suspect that particular one may have been in fact moisture-related but idk

I used one of my paper trimmers to... trim the paper, shaving between, like, 1/16th and 1/32nd of an inch? off the left edges. I used the ones that were properly cut as a guide. Again, no photos of that. Anyway they all came out great. One is a bit wonky but so too is life.

I had wanted to replace them into clear cases since they all have the episode listings and such inside and they didn't shade the inner print to read neatly through a blue case. Which is a shame, as I adore blue with yellow as a colour scheme, but i adore legibility even more. I needed five doubles, two triples, and a single. Luckily I found a great deal from a private seller and got a big box of a couple dozen singles, 5 doubles, and another dozen or so mixed blues, for $35, about $1 each. Suck a dick (and not in the fun, sexy way), Casetopia and the other grifters trying to get $10 and $20 for a single case on eBay.

Ahem.

Now Vinegar Syndrome just needs to get some more triples in stock so I can finish this damned thing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Well I bought Highlander again for the millionth time. At least the UHD has a bunch of new extras.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Kino order came in. A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Eiger Sanction, and Touch of Evil.

I have the The Highlander UHD coming from Diabolik, hopefully on Friday, but we had a big winter storm last week and the post office is really backed up. First time owning a copy of the movie period.

The mail situation is no poo poo bad. I had a present for my dad that was supposed to be delivered a week ago. We got a foot of snow that day, and another the next so they pulled all their carriers in. I got a notification that I needed to go in to pick it up. So I go in Monday afternoon and the line for pickup is wrapped around the entire lobby and ultimately took me 3 hours to get to the front. Only to find out they don’t have it in the pickup pile and it was just going to get recirculated. It showed up yesterday. They ended up canceling regular mail delivery today so they could have all the carriers on package duty.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Mine's supposed to be coming tomorrow :hellyeah:

My backlog just got a lot bigger :woop:

The Blood-a-Rama and Shock-o-Rama sets
The Daylight and Moonlight sets of the Doris Wishman films
Forgotten Gialli volume 5
After Blue (Dirty Paradise)
Blood Delirium
Don't Open til Christmas [idk if I'm starting with this but I definitely intend on watching this Sunday/Christmas, in keeping with the title]
The Birds 2

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

My backlog just got a lot bigger :woop:

The Blood-a-Rama and Shock-o-Rama sets
The Daylight and Moonlight sets of the Doris Wishman films
Forgotten Gialli volume 5
After Blue (Dirty Paradise)
Blood Delirium
Don't Open til Christmas [idk if I'm starting with this but I definitely intend on watching this Sunday/Christmas, in keeping with the title]
The Birds 2

If you haven’t seen Carnival of Blood you should get on that. It’s… unique! I really liked most of the movies across the Blood- and Shock-o-rama sets tbh, but I think only truly psychotronic freaks will feel the same. The weakest entries for me personally were Help Me I’m Possessed and Passion in the Sun, both of which were charming in their own way.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A Station Eleven 4K just popped up on Amazon (that I found out through blu-ray.com). Is this legit or a bootleg? I can't seem to find any info on it online anywhere, but it's also a physical release of a TV show that I didn't really hear much about discourse wise.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

A Station Eleven 4K just popped up on Amazon (that I found out through blu-ray.com). Is this legit or a bootleg? I can't seem to find any info on it online anywhere, but it's also a physical release of a TV show that I didn't really hear much about discourse wise.

It's a good show that is getting dropped from HBO Max I believe

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

PinkoBastard posted:

If you haven’t seen Carnival of Blood you should get on that. It’s… unique! I really liked most of the movies across the Blood- and Shock-o-rama sets tbh, but I think only truly psychotronic freaks will feel the same. The weakest entries for me personally were Help Me I’m Possessed and Passion in the Sun, both of which were charming in their own way.

I enjoyed Passion in the Sun, but perhaps it was psychosis setting in after three of those movies in a row. Fantastic sets.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31864

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Big ole box of nonsense just in time for Christmas! :rock:

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Holy hell, a Dragonslayer 4k has been announced for February! I’m all over this!

Check this out! https://a.co/d/hz3YCmK

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON 4K UHD, REMASTERED WITH DOLBY ATMOS SOUND, AND FEATURING HOURS OF SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDING NEW COMMENTARY BY DIRECTOR MATTHEW ROBBINS WITH GUILLERMO DEL TORO

An essential fantasy-adventure, with groundbreaking Oscar-nominated visual effects, DRAGONSLAYER comes to 4K Ultra HD with HDR-10 and Dolby Vision—restored for exceptional picture and sound approved by director Matthew Robbins. Set in sixth-century England, an ill-tempered, fire-breathing creature—ominously known as Vermithrax Pejorative—terrorizes its citizens until a young sorcerer’s apprentice named Galen is reluctantly tasked with confronting the beast. For Galen to succeed, it will take more than magic to defeat the dragon.

Special Features include:

NEW Commentary by Director Matthew Robbins & Guillermo del Toro
NEW Screen Tests
NEW The Slayer of All Dragons
Original Theatrical Trailer

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Wow! Roadhouse and Cloak & Dagger sets from VS are SWANK. Way more heft and care put into those titles than I ever thought possible.

Can't wait to eat 3-4 Swanson Chicken pot pies and bliss out to C&D.

Tammy and the T-Rex might be this weekend, Roadhouse in the next week for sure.

Gonna try and watch the next Bergman film today. Bought the collection on Day 1 in 2018 and finally am working through it. Someone mentioned the possibility of bad discs, so here's hoping not so much!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wow! Roadhouse and Cloak & Dagger sets from VS are SWANK. Way more heft and care put into those titles than I ever thought possible.

Can't wait to eat 3-4 Swanson Chicken pot pies and bliss out to C&D.

Tammy and the T-Rex might be this weekend, Roadhouse in the next week for sure.

Gonna try and watch the next Bergman film today. Bought the collection on Day 1 in 2018 and finally am working through it. Someone mentioned the possibility of bad discs, so here's hoping not so much!

The VSU cases are so good. Lots of love n care put into them

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm still working through my Bergman set too. At the beginning of 2022 I decided I would finally finish the whole thing before the end of the year, but I still have 8 films left. Haven't run into a bad disc yet FWIW, and even if you did I'd imagine Criterion would replace it without any fuss.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm still working through my Bergman set too. At the beginning of 2022 I decided I would finally finish the whole thing before the end of the year, but I still have 8 films left. Haven't run into a bad disc yet FWIW, and even if you did I'd imagine Criterion would replace it without any fuss.

Just wrapped To Joy w tears streaming down my face.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Dusting off Christmas Evil and Silent Night Bloody Night when the wife falls asleep later, you guys watching anything tonight?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watch all the atypical Christmas movies like Christmas Evil early in the month while I’m wrapping. Christmas Eve is Christmas Story and White Christmas because I’m lazy.

I did watch Christmas in Connecticut (1945) earlier this week and I’ll probably add it to my yearly list from here on. It’s set at Christmas but not super overtly Christmas if that’s a plus. It’s way more of a screwball comedy where everything just keeps ramping up and falling apart. It’s great.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I did watch Christmas in Connecticut (1945) earlier this week and I’ll probably add it to my yearly list from here on. It’s set at Christmas but not super overtly Christmas if that’s a plus. It’s way more of a screwball comedy where everything just keeps ramping up and falling apart. It’s great.

Yeah it's a pretty adorable movie.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

My wife and I watched the Scream Factory 4k for Black Christmas. I can say that this is the best edition of the movie released so far. Original Warner Bros logo at the beginning, the audio isn't hosed up like with the previous editions, the picture is absolutely superb, nothing waxy or artificial. My favorite Christmas film finally gets the release it deserves.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just wrapped To Joy w tears streaming down my face.

That one was a nice surprise, some of the other early films in the set are a bit weak but To Joy is excellent

pwn
May 27, 2004

Merry Christmas!

An absurd pile of stuff ordered between April 1 and December 19 that all came in today :shepface:

April 1

Yep got the thing, i can see why it goes for so much, a naked lady picture is hard to find. go here to see the naked lady, it is not work safe.

April 4

A long ordeal that seemed to fizzle out back in August, after many emails. Shot an email off on Monday as a hail mary and the dude actually relented and sent the CD I bought nearly 9 months ago. It's a Christmas miracle!

More recent, the rest of that VS order.

And a bunch of Kino goodness

Finally a cool book about the films of Tom Schiller, along with a cool signed bookplate from the author

Books are physical media :colbert: Also the title is a takeoff of Nothing Lasts Forever, Schiller's 1984 film for Paramount that they never released.

Happy Christmas time y'all.b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

pwn posted:

Books are physical media :colbert: Also the title is a takeoff of Nothing Lasts Forever, Schiller's 1984 film for Paramount that they never released.

Happy Christmas time y'all.b

Nothing Lasts Forever was actually made for MGM. It's now part of the Warner library, even though it wasn't actually released and has remained part of the Turner catalog. Turner Classic Movies did manage to screen it once or twice a few years ago, though.