Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

keep it down up there! posted:

That's awesome. I do have a Festool dust collector so I may just go that route. Especially nice since I can walk into lee Valley and buy the ETS EC in person. The 3M I'd have to order from the US.
I just went deep down the rabbit hole on this because I'm also in the market for a Nice Sander and got really excited about the 3M ones but from some reviews it seems like they have some issues with the power switches? I pulled the trigger on a Mirka over Festool simply because the 6" Mirka model can also use a 5" pad and I need 5" and 6" sanders at various times. Looks like it has a slightly lower profile as well. I'm sure any of them will be a big improvement over the various Ridgids and Bosch's I am used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the trick to keeping stuff secret in the workshop is to have at least one big precarious pile of parts and tools and stuff that collapses violently if anyone but you even looks at it directly, and bury the things you want to hide in there

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I forgot how loving long tung oil takes to cure, jfc I'm an idiot

this happens over and over, too

oh tung oil is the naturalest, bestest, I love the finish, this is perfect, I say to myself as I pry the stuck lid off the bottle with vise grips and read the instructions on the back that say to put on a coat and wait 12 hours and do another coat

then two days later I once again google it and am like oh yeah 3-4 weeks cure time gently caress me

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Do you guys really have to hide stuff from your wives or am I just not in on an in-thread joke?

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

wesleywillis posted:

Do you guys really have to hide stuff from your wives or am I just not in on an in-thread joke?

Christmas presents?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

wesleywillis posted:

It's yule OP

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have my own "I'm an idiot" question - today I made a simple firewood box on the basic model that Rex Kreuger does in this video, cut nails, roman ogees and all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBq5DGOChgc

No lid though. Haven't decided if I want one on it.

But I somewhat absentmindedly glued up the corners in addition to the cut nails, i.e. I did a crossgrain glueup, not connecting the whole "we use the goofy nails because it's crossgrain" with "We don't use glue because it's crossgrain." So it's glued and nailed.

Anyway I didn't realize that I had done this for like 2h so what's done is done, but what I'm wondering now is if the glue is likely to damage the box in the longer term and cause splits in the facing boards, or if it's just that the glue itself is likely to crack (which will cause basically no harm to the box, because it's nailed).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

I have my own "I'm an idiot" question - today I made a simple firewood box on the basic model that Rex Kreuger does in this video, cut nails, roman ogees and all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBq5DGOChgc

No lid though. Haven't decided if I want one on it.

But I somewhat absentmindedly glued up the corners in addition to the cut nails, i.e. I did a crossgrain glueup, not connecting the whole "we use the goofy nails because it's crossgrain" with "We don't use glue because it's crossgrain." So it's glued and nailed.

Anyway I didn't realize that I had done this for like 2h so what's done is done, but what I'm wondering now is if the glue is likely to damage the box in the longer term and cause splits in the facing boards, or if it's just that the glue itself is likely to crack (which will cause basically no harm to the box, because it's nailed).

It might cause splits in the boards with their face grain glued to long grain. Depending on how well it is glued, the glue might give first. If it was well dried wood of a stable species, nothing might happen. Only time will tell and, as you said, what's done is done.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It’ll probably be fine

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
If you made it from cheap pine, which is the correct way, you're prob good

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah it's somewhat old very cheap pine and I only halfway clamped it.

Guess we'll see. Might take a year before we get any more info.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you folks would like to see the American Chestnut tree back as a species, and if you're a US resident, go to this page. https://www.regulations.gov/document/APHIS-2020-0030-8291 There you can comment on a proposal to release "Darling 58" blight-resistant chestnuts to private citizens and organizations, to be planted. Darling 58 is genetically engineered to add one property: the wood contains oxalic acid, meaning they can't be girdled by chestnut blight. The usual "GMO kicked my dog!" people are out in force; if you feel as strongly as I do about restoring the American chestnut, this is your chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhMdUryolU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Leperflesh posted:

I forgot how loving long tung oil takes to cure, jfc I'm an idiot

this happens over and over, too

oh tung oil is the naturalest, bestest, I love the finish, this is perfect, I say to myself as I pry the stuck lid off the bottle with vise grips and read the instructions on the back that say to put on a coat and wait 12 hours and do another coat

then two days later I once again google it and am like oh yeah 3-4 weeks cure time gently caress me

lol and I get mad waiting 3 days to put poly over danish oil

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you folks would like to see the American Chestnut tree back as a species, and if you're a US resident, go to this page. https://www.regulations.gov/document/APHIS-2020-0030-8291 There you can comment on a proposal to release "Darling 58" blight-resistant chestnuts to private citizens and organizations, to be planted. Darling 58 is genetically engineered to add one property: the wood contains oxalic acid, meaning they can't be girdled by chestnut blight. The usual "GMO kicked my dog!" people are out in force; if you feel as strongly as I do about restoring the American chestnut, this is your chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhMdUryolU

Oh cool! I commented. GMOs rule, would love to see more highly-visible success stories like this.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Edit: I should read this thread before posting

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Oh cool! I commented. GMOs rule, would love to see more highly-visible success stories like this.

Well balanced to fit in the ecosystem GMOs are awesome. This is very much one of those and I’d love to see chestnuts return to the forests. I get wanting to balance the risk too, but people can really take it to extremes in hating these things that they don’t really understand completely.

There are some really good comments on it in favor too, I hope it succeeds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I heard a long radio show about it a year or two ago and it's not exactly wholly embraced by all the local native american peoples, some of whom aren't sure about restoring this species by using something that isn't the original genetic stock, or interventionism in general.
Some heavy reading:
https://research.ncsu.edu/ges/files/2019/11/Rooted-in-Recognition-Indigenous-Environmental-Justice-GE-Chestnut-Tree_BarnhillDilling_2019.pdf

Some light reading:
https://thecounter.org/american-chestnut-restoration-genetic-engineering-indigenous-sovereignty-gmo/

Personally I think in this specific case it's probably going to be a huge net benefit, but if this opens the door for less and less scrutiny as additional restoration attempts are made, I feel like a disaster (something gets out that turns out to cause huge problems) is inevitable.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's a reasonable assessment, but given how much of the cash crops in the US are already some flavor of genetically modified (mostly pesticide resistance), that ship has sailed, sunk, been raised, sunk again, and salvaged for scrap. Reintroduction of the American chestnut, especially if done in a manner not making GBS threads over indigenous sovereignty, wouldn't really be the start of a slippery slope I feel.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just Winging It posted:

That's a reasonable assessment, but given how much of the cash crops in the US are already some flavor of genetically modified (mostly pesticide resistance), that ship has sailed, sunk, been raised, sunk again, and salvaged for scrap. Reintroduction of the American chestnut, especially if done in a manner not making GBS threads over indigenous sovereignty, wouldn't really be the start of a slippery slope I feel.

I strongly agree with this take

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Just Winging It posted:

You want tree ents? This is how you get tree ents.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sockington posted:

You want tree ents? This is how you get tree ents.

You don’t?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
That ent will make an excellent coffee table.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can't remember if I've asked this before, but what's everyone's favourite non-obvious or nonstandard shop-made jig?

EG just off the top of my head, I made a simple bevel jig for cutting dovetail pins on my band saw and it works pretty well (still some chisel work). It's basically a tilted sled.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I made a hand plane tapering jig once and thought it was neat

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CommonShore posted:

I can't remember if I've asked this before, but what's everyone's favourite non-obvious or nonstandard shop-made jig?

EG just off the top of my head, I made a simple bevel jig for cutting dovetail pins on my band saw and it works pretty well (still some chisel work). It's basically a tilted sled.

It's probably pretty standard but it's fresh in my mind. I made a fancy picture frame sled with a cheap aluminum framing square. You cut one side of the miter on the left and one on the right, so even if the sled isn't a perfect 45 to the blade, the miters still make a perfect 90. The rabbet also goes over the square, so the 45 stop block can be set to the inside measurement and you don't need to do the math for the width of the frame and the rabbet. It's basically this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCSA2SZt5s

I also made a tall fence/spline jig that I can use for cutting splines, tenoning, and generally making cuts on a vertical piece safely.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ColdPie posted:

Same. If you think about it, we're all GMO'd.

edit- the enzyme is originated from wheat, so we can make breakfast cereal from the sawdust too. How cool is that!

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 23, 2022

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

The only complaint I saw that at least had an air of validity was a comment against it from some Canadian commission that said this strain only has one resistance gene and that the blight resistance is more complex and relies on a complex interplay of resistance genes to truly be effective. And so it would result in all of them eventually getting blight and dying off, and presumably could impact the few chestnut being maintained in Canada or something.

I only skimmed it and am not a plant biologist (things with more than two sets of chromosomes confuse me). But I can't imagine something so simple and obvious would be overlooked by the scientists here.

I'm assuming that had more to do with something monetary, like their few chestnut trees are highly valuable and more trees would bring down value or something? I don't know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My surface-level understanding is that the issue is that GMO crops are typically not supposed to interbreed with their non-GMO versions - if they did, it'd be impossible for Monsanto et. al. to keep charging exorbitant amounts for their seed (although they do get loose and then Monsanto sues farmers for having their crops even though the farmers never planted them). Whereas this is a natural plant that is being intentionally released to intentionally crossbreed with the native remnants. I'm not enough of an expert to know if that's an actual difference or not.

I'm always suspicious of these big agribusiness corps. They're not directly running this program but they obviously benefit if it succeeds because they can then lobby more successfully to receive government money in the future to do more.

All that said, I actually think we should go ahead anyway. The american chestnut is vital to the east coast forests and their biomes and even if there are unforseen consequences I believe on balance this is still worth doing. I also think that native americans are going to be ignored, again, and to their potential detriment, but I can't see a way to include them in a non-patronizing way if we have already decided that their objections will be overruled - and we absolutely have. I'd rather not pretend that we're giving a voice to people who will not be able to prevent us from doing this anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

more falafel please posted:

It's probably pretty standard but it's fresh in my mind. I made a fancy picture frame sled with a cheap aluminum framing square. You cut one side of the miter on the left and one on the right, so even if the sled isn't a perfect 45 to the blade, the miters still make a perfect 90. The rabbet also goes over the square, so the 45 stop block can be set to the inside measurement and you don't need to do the math for the width of the frame and the rabbet. It's basically this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCSA2SZt5s

I also made a tall fence/spline jig that I can use for cutting splines, tenoning, and generally making cuts on a vertical piece safely.

ooooh I like that

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leperflesh posted:

I'm always suspicious of these big agribusiness corps. They're not directly running this program but they obviously benefit if it succeeds because they can then lobby more successfully to receive government money in the future to do more.

My suspicion is that they are already in place to do that with many city councils etc as a suburbanization project like they did loving up trees to give us allergies because they are all fruitless and poo poo now.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CommonShore posted:

ooooh I like that

It's super nice. I'm a little paranoid so I still sneak up on the length, but last year I made 4 identical frames for Christmas presents, so dialing it in once and cutting 8 identical pieces, then dialing it in again for the adjacent sides and cutting 8 identical pieces again is very nice.

This year was nice because I've gotten a full-kerf rip blade since last year, so I could cut splines without doing an offset flip or trying to dimension stock down to 3/32.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

No idea what the price/lead time difference is, but I would also look at SCM/Minimax. They make fantastic machines that just work for a very very long time.

I looked into the Minimax and it looks like a killer machine though I haven't seen one in person but the reason I am looking so hard at the Felder is that I got a hold of their rep and was able to get a negotiated discount that makes the price much more bearable. I can also save the $500 in shipping by picking it up from their warehouse myself while I am in the area for work. Even with the discounts, the Felder is still as expensive as I want to go.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Leperflesh posted:

My surface-level understanding is that the issue is that GMO crops are typically not supposed to interbreed with their non-GMO versions - if they did, it'd be impossible for Monsanto et. al. to keep charging exorbitant amounts for their seed (although they do get loose and then Monsanto sues farmers for having their crops even though the farmers never planted them). Whereas this is a natural plant that is being intentionally released to intentionally crossbreed with the native remnants. I'm not enough of an expert to know if that's an actual difference or not.

All that said, I actually think we should go ahead anyway. The american chestnut is vital to the east coast forests and their biomes and even if there are unforseen consequences I believe on balance this is still worth doing. I also think that native americans are going to be ignored, again, and to their potential detriment, but I can't see a way to include them in a non-patronizing way if we have already decided that their objections will be overruled - and we absolutely have. I'd rather not pretend that we're giving a voice to people who will not be able to prevent us from doing this anyway.

GMO crops can interbreed with other crops just fine in almost all cases. There are plants engineered to be sterile but none that are publicly sold and it's usually done as part of lab containment controls for experimental crops. The reason you can't replant a Monsanto crop from seed is because they hold cultivar patents to those strains and you sign a contract at purchase saying you won't replant. It's 100% legal enforcement via patent and copyright, not engineering enforced. Also, many crops do not produce the same traits if you grow them from second or third generation seeds so even with non-GMO crops it's extremely common for farmers to harvest, burn, then start over from new purchased seed the following planting. This is also why huge varieties of crop plants are produced via cloning instead of seed as well.

I'm aware of 3 current attempts to bring back American Chestnuts. There is the GMO one being discussed for release pending approval, clones of a crop of naturally occurring blight resistant ones that were found, and a Chinese-American hybrid called the "Revival Chestnut". All 3 have their good and bad. I personally think that all 3 should go ahead, I'm really hoping to see American Chestnuts make a comeback.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's interesting, hmm. Do chinese and american chestnuts readily hybridize anyway? I expect that cat is also out of the bag, if so, because it's not like we can eradicate all pollen from chinese chestnuts from the air over america forever.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

That's interesting, hmm. Do chinese and american chestnuts readily hybridize anyway? I expect that cat is also out of the bag, if so, because it's not like we can eradicate all pollen from chinese chestnuts from the air over america forever.
I know they can in theory hybridize, but I don't know how commonly they do in fact in nature. A ton of oaks and pines can hybridize but it doesn't happen a ton in nature because all the red oaks are horny 2 weeks earlier than the pin oaks or w/e. If they by chance happen to both be horny at the same time they biologically can make babies. I know at least in my area, the southern yellow pines hybridize much more readily and alot of the pines in natural forests are often a shortleaf/loblolly or slash/loblolly mix without quite being exactly one or the other. Kind of messes up the idea of species in general-nature is untidy that way.

Chinese chestnuts are somewhat naturalized around here and the deer loving love them and the nuts are delicious. They are handsome, tough as poo poo and drought tolerant, but they don't get huge like an American Chestnut and thus aren't a great timber tree. I think the american/chinese chestnut hybrids are like 3rd+ generation backcrosses and ~95% American chestnut? I have a cousin who planted some and they are growing incredibly slowly, but we are a bit south of the American chestnut's range and it may be too hot for them here.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
The 'best' hybrids are 96% American Chestnut according to this podcast I listened to with my wife on our drive today. Apparently the earlier-generation hybrids are pretty nice for nut farming because they grow to a more manageable size than the true American Chestnut, but the nuts are kind of the best of both worlds in terms of size and taste.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's the cross glued box. It shall hold our firewood!

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Thanks, MeowMeowMeow, stole some inspiration and your design. Scaled down about 1/3rd of the size of your sideboard, reflecting the fraction of craftsmanship that went into it. Also, this was my first time using a couple of techniques, so didn't want to risk more than the minimal amount of lumber.

Sized to be appropriate for a nightstand, but kinda fired from the hip on the proportions. I think the standoff on the base ended up a little too aggressive. This was my first time assembling a carcase using handcut dovetails and I'm not in hurry to do it again tbh. The end result turned out better than I expected, but it all took forever. I easily spent as much time just sharpening chisels as I would have running a router if I had machine-cut these. Used a bit of wallpaper offcut to dress the back and actually really like how that detail turned out. Worst injury sustained in the process is visible in that top/back corner. Got a little carried away and forgot I was mitering the ends, sawed straight thru. Fix was to cut a kerf wide enough to obliterate the defect, then plug with a strip of walnut. I rather like the contrast there. Respect your defects.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mitered dovetails are neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Mister Dog posted:

Thanks, MeowMeowMeow, stole some inspiration and your design. Scaled down about 1/3rd of the size of your sideboard, reflecting the fraction of craftsmanship that went into it. Also, this was my first time using a couple of techniques, so didn't want to risk more than the minimal amount of lumber.

Sized to be appropriate for a nightstand, but kinda fired from the hip on the proportions. I think the standoff on the base ended up a little too aggressive. This was my first time assembling a carcase using handcut dovetails and I'm not in hurry to do it again tbh. The end result turned out better than I expected, but it all took forever. I easily spent as much time just sharpening chisels as I would have running a router if I had machine-cut these. Used a bit of wallpaper offcut to dress the back and actually really like how that detail turned out. Worst injury sustained in the process is visible in that top/back corner. Got a little carried away and forgot I was mitering the ends, sawed straight thru. Fix was to cut a kerf wide enough to obliterate the defect, then plug with a strip of walnut. I rather like the contrast there. Respect your defects.

:discourse: Great work. The wallpaper is a nice touch and the mitres on the legs turned out really nice.