Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I have never cleaned that and I don't intend to start.

I rarely do. But it's what you need to know about when you start getting the E-15 water leak error. Seems to be the most common issue as opposed to all of the more difficult and expensive things it might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I think we're about to need a new dishwasher and this thread has been both informative and makes me want to puke so that's a Christmas two-fer. Thanks everybody. :tipshat:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I just checked the bottom seal on my Bosch for the first time and it was completely clean, not even a hint of slime… it’s 7ish years old I think? Feeling blessed

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

All this dishwasher chat is reminding me of what I cleaned from the dishwasher in our rental when we moved in, and it turns out I didn't repress that memory as deeply as I thought I had.

Unless your dishwasher literally doesn't function unless it senses food particles, rinse your goddamn dishes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's another "I've only had bad dishwashers" issue. I don't rinse poo poo. Everything comes out clean.

No, this did not work with old dishwashers. I remember. But they are that much better now.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Infinotize posted:

Yeah the only fixture inside the house frozen is the kitchen sink, I have the cabinet open, a radiant space heater sitting in front and a box fan on low pushing the air inside. The back of the cabinet is reading 85-90 F, so I am hoping this will get through it eventually before the temps drop tonight. I have the faucet open halfway and I'm dripping some faucets at the end of the house.

OK I have had this setup going for like 4-5 hours and no improvement, but also no signs of anything burst (I am one level on slab). Maybe time to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet?

E: at least looked at my water meter outside and it's digital showing rate "0.00" so I suppose nothing is burst spewing water under my slab or anything.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 23, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Infinotize posted:

OK I have had this setup going for like 4-5 hours and no improvement, but also no signs of anything burst (I am one level on slab). Maybe time to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet?

Oh wait, your plumbing is not inside of the sink cabinet but BEHIND it? Yes, absolutely cut a hole in there.

Edit: keep it to something under 14x14 and you will be able to easily and cheaply find an access panel at lowesdepot to pop in there to seal it up make it look nice and allow you to easily open it again if and when needed.

This kind of thing: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Accessories-Access-Panels/N-5yc1vZbqkz

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of dishwashers on well/septic, do you run a garbage disposal Motronic?

My mom and aunt are both on septic and they have them in their house but don’t run them frequently. this is the first house I’ve had without a disposal and I miss having one but just use strainers to catch anything. It’s a slight pain but not sure if it’d be worth installing a disposal since I’m not sure what you can use it for (obviously no grease or meat). I’d need electrical run for the switch and all that stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Speaking of dishwashers on well/septic, do you run a garbage disposal Motronic?

My mom and aunt are both on septic and they have them in their house but don’t run them frequently. this is the first house I’ve had without a disposal and I miss having one but just use strainers to catch anything. It’s a slight pain but not sure if it’d be worth installing a disposal since I’m not sure what you can use it for (obviously no grease or meat). I’d need electrical run for the switch and all that stuff.

I absolutely do run disposals on septic. You just can't be an idiot about what goes down there.

It's mostly egg shells, coffee grounds, some vegetable scraps and mostly just what's left in the sink. I don't think I'd trust most people with a disposal on septic because I've seen what people try to shove down them. The no grease or meat rule is what's gonna make this work for you.

For your further research: no I don't have one of those ridiculous ones that has some sort of enzyme pack or whatever "for septic systems". Just a regular rear end disposal.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Continuing freeze chat: I'm currently protecting my exterior faucets with hard styrofoam caps and loosely wrapped dishrags. I assume they capture radiant energy from inside the house and do just enough to keep the outside spigots from freezing.

Are these really more effective than just dripping the exterior faucets? They've worked so far, but I'm a little nervous about the extended hard freeze we'll be in over the next day.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

That's another "I've only had bad dishwashers" issue. I don't rinse poo poo. Everything comes out clean.

No, this did not work with old dishwashers. I remember. But they are that much better now.

Maybe it's simply an artifact of your water chemistry or whatever, but a dishwasher growing slime on the inside isn't less gross just because it's a better or more expensive machine. If someone's clothes washer gets buildup, the one who fixes/cleans it will rightly tell them to cut back on detergent and avoid fabric softener. If a dishwasher grows microbe colonies on the inside and it gets a bunch of food put into it, odds are good it needs less food put into it. It doesn't matter how good the machine is if someone puts in enough material to overwhelm it.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

Oh wait, your plumbing is not inside of the sink cabinet but BEHIND it? Yes, absolutely cut a hole in there.

Edit: keep it to something under 14x14 and you will be able to easily and cheaply find an access panel at lowesdepot to pop in there to seal it up make it look nice and allow you to easily open it again if and when needed.

This kind of thing: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Accessories-Access-Panels/N-5yc1vZbqkz

Good tip on the access panel.

Ok I cut the drat thing out. Merry Christmas. No wonder my thawing attempt didn’t work, it was behind drywall and insulation. But my big surprise is, instead of going down the pipes are going…. out through the sheathing? Why the gently caress would they do that? I have brick veneer so I can’t really see what’s on the other side of that. I dunno what that could be besides sheathing or why the gently caress it’s allowed to run those pipes basically outside the house. I have to pick up my son after that I will retry my thaw setup but with the hole open.

e: don't make fun of my homer simpson demo job pls

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 24, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Oh god cleaning the rotted chunky poo poo out of the donut filter on the 1984 Kitchenaid is second to the door-seal mung scrape.

I've surveyed houses right after dead bodies were removed, murder scenes... ugh.

How big & nasty / chunky can the Bosch handle? I mean, I'll scrape off the big stuff, but I pre-rinse everything now, so I minimize the number of fiter cleanings that I have to subject myself to

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Ayudo posted:

Continuing freeze chat: I'm currently protecting my exterior faucets with hard styrofoam caps and loosely wrapped dishrags. I assume they capture radiant energy from inside the house and do just enough to keep the outside spigots from freezing.

Are these really more effective than just dripping the exterior faucets? They've worked so far, but I'm a little nervous about the extended hard freeze we'll be in over the next day.

My faucet has a shutoff inside the house and I drain the water out of the line.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've had a few dishwashers and my opinion of them is about as strong as a dishwasher detergent pack. The worst ones were bad because they were loud, the best ones I've had just work normally.

Yall shamed me into wiping down my dishwasher door and it was fine. A little nasty at the bottom, and it definitely needed a nice wipe down. I also got a nasty gummy stain that had been there for like, years? It came up with the consistency of melted parmesan.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Tiny Timbs posted:

Woah that sounds cool

Mine is just a piece of plywood with insulation glued to the back that’s a pain to set back in place when I’m done

PANADY Attic Stairs Insulation Cover - 25 In x 54 In x 11 In - Class A Fireproof Attic Door Insulation Cover - Attic Access Insulation Cover - Attic Stairway Insulator - Attic Ladder Insulation Cover https://a.co/d/h79QUkX

That's the one I got, but they all seem to be the same Chinese knock off models. It was super easy to install and I knew it was working right away because I started getting sweaty as I got close to putting in the last staples.

Now I've noticed a pretty strong draft coming from two of the recessed lights cans in my kitchen, which is odd. I'm dragging what I'm going to find up there.

My favorite PO thing so far has been I was cleaning out the dryer vent that runs to the roof and find they had used a really long run of the crappy flexible vent instead of the semi or rigid type. As I was replacing it I find that the main rigid type in the attic that goes to the dryer is a 4 in gutter lol.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

My faucet has a shutoff inside the house and I drain the water out of the line.

Unfortunately, there's no interior shutoff valve for any of my exterior spigots which is pretty common in the south. I've been through a few hard freezes in this house and have been ok so far. So here's hoping for one more success story.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

... no dishwasher? That's a 'rinse your chicken in the (double basin) sink'-level boomer habit

Invest! Your hands, time, wallet, and planet will all thank you.
Idgi, a good chunk of my dishes can't be washed in a dishwasher anyway. Cast iron, good knives, cutting boards, Tupperware. Imma be washing half the dishes anyway, and we only have three bowls. What am I supposed to do, run the dishwasher after breakfast every day and again after dinner if we have soup? That sounds like a goddamn nightmare compared to the minute or two it currently takes to wash the silverware and plates we use.

People said I would need a dishwasher after I had a kid, but I've never had enough dishes to justify taking up a dishwashers worth of space in our little house. I am considering putting in a greywater line out to the garden, it's the showers that waste water more anyway.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

moana posted:

Idgi, a good chunk of my dishes can't be washed in a dishwasher anyway. Cast iron, good knives, cutting boards, Tupperware. Imma be washing half the dishes anyway, and we only have three bowls. What am I supposed to do, run the dishwasher after breakfast every day and again after dinner if we have soup? That sounds like a goddamn nightmare compared to the minute or two it currently takes to wash the silverware and plates we use.

People said I would need a dishwasher after I had a kid, but I've never had enough dishes to justify taking up a dishwashers worth of space in our little house. I am considering putting in a greywater line out to the garden, it's the showers that waste water more anyway.

Get more bowls.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It probably depends on how you cook. When I'm doing Indian or a stir-fry, I have ramekins for everything that goes in at separate stages: one for the spices I heat in oil, one for the ginger/garlic, one for the spices that go in with the liquid, a measuring cup of whatever liquid is going in. It adds up. And don't even get me started on the mess that baking makes.

If you don't do mise-en-place, I'm sure it takes up a lot fewer dishes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lifestyles vary. When the missus is out of town I dirty approximately 1 spoon and 1 cup and eat all my meals standing up in the kitchen

She uses all our bowls and most of the silverware to fry one egg, from what I can tell

Also some people are blessed with a kid that will simply eat the cuisine it is offered, and others will happily starve to death unless they get a new plate where the ketchup didn't touch the potatoes

moana
Jun 18, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Get more bowls.
NO. I have a favorite bowl, I made it and it is perfect and I will use it for everything. I'm not buying more things to put into the giant thing you're telling me to buy to make my life easier. Is there a grumpy luddite emoticon?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also some people are blessed with a kid that will simply eat the cuisine it is offered, and others will happily starve to death unless they get a new plate where the ketchup didn't touch the potatoes
Oh, Lord, yes.

I will tell you that both kids, in their 30s, are now adventurous eaters and will eat stuff I won't.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

NO. I have a favorite bowl, I made it and it is perfect and I will use it for everything. I'm not buying more things to put into the giant thing you're telling me to buy to make my life easier. Is there a grumpy luddite emoticon?

Harumph.

Some turbo freaks took out the dishwasher in our kitchen because apparently we bought our house from you. 2 adults one small child. I've run 3 loads this weekend - full to the brim - because we hosted a party, baked cookies, and are about to bake some cakes. We run 7 loads a week on a slow week.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

For parties we are on either ends of the extreme - most neighborhood shindigs around here are "bring your own mug and plate" things since we're all hippies. On the other end of the spectrum, for non-neighbor big events we just buy paper plates and compost them at the end of the night. Maybe if I regularly hosted dinner parties or something it would be different, I mean I can see it. But I'd be giving up a good eighth of my cabinet space for a dishwasher, that's huge.

We had a couple walk out of the open house for our place in San Diego as soon as they saw there was no dishwasher in the house, haha.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

moana posted:

I just wash (rinse? most meals are pretty benign, like a sandwich) the same plate and coffee cup unless we're eating dinner at home

We have a bosch 700 or 800 series washer but it gets run like once a week

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

For parties we are on either ends of the extreme - most neighborhood shindigs around here are "bring your own mug and plate" things since we're all hippies. On the other end of the spectrum, for non-neighbor big events we just buy paper plates and compost them at the end of the night. Maybe if I regularly hosted dinner parties or something it would be different, I mean I can see it. But I'd be giving up a good eighth of my cabinet space for a dishwasher, that's huge.

We had a couple walk out of the open house for our place in San Diego as soon as they saw there was no dishwasher in the house, haha.

I'm really kinda envious of your parties/neighborhoods. The core bay area has been very tough to make friends in, and the pandemic sure as gently caress hasn't helped. Everyone moves in/out so quickly that you don't really meet people.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Goddamn I’m glad I had a water alarm in the sump pit, the backup sump popped out of the t-fitting and I got to it immediately. The main sump was spewing water out of that hole and splashing out of the pit.

Nothing broke, it had just wiggled loose over time. Got it all back together, cleaned all the sediment out of the pit and tightened up all the bands for the back flow valve. I then did some judicious application of zip tie engineering to prevent it in the future.

Who needs coffee, that’ll wake you up at 630am!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Woke up today to see a nice water stain in the dining room ceiling, which is directly below my boy’s toilet upstairs.

There was a previous patch job on the ceiling so it’s leaked there before at some time. Not sure if the previous repair didn’t hold or the wax ring wasn’t seated properly/etc.

Time to go to Home Depot and buy all the parts for a fun repair on Christmas Eve. I’m going to pull the toilet first to see if it looks like the wax ring or flange failed.

Merry Christmas.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s a boy, are you sure he isn’t just missing the bowl really bad? :v:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So this wax ring doesn’t look that bad to me, a novice. Maybe the flange itself is bad?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You can get drop-in replacement flanges if needed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Two failures in a row sounds like you might have contributing factors causing this that need to be resolved

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devmd01 posted:

It’s a boy, are you sure he isn’t just missing the bowl really bad? :v:

My 3 year old loves looking around. He does not understand his body has a separate pivot point at the neck. And I might as well turn the place into a true wet room when the two of them tear off to use the toilet simultaneously. :stare:

Also replace that wax with a silicone ring now that the toilet is off. Merry Christmas.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So it’s not the wax ring. Or the toilet. It’s the bathtub itself. I ended up measuring the distance from the wall to the leak and it’s definitely the tub drain.

Now to replace the wax ring anyways (I don’t think they can be reused) and look into calling a plumber for this. I’m going to see if I can remove the drain first and see if I just need plumbers putty reapplied.

Yep:

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 24, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Oh god cleaning the rotted chunky poo poo out of the donut filter on the 1984 Kitchenaid is second to the door-seal mung scrape.

I've surveyed houses right after dead bodies were removed, murder scenes... ugh.

How big & nasty / chunky can the Bosch handle? I mean, I'll scrape off the big stuff, but I pre-rinse everything now, so I minimize the number of fiter cleanings that I have to subject myself to

Yeah, of course you want to scrape off big stuff but it's not so much "what the bosch can handle" and "what a 2.5 hour cycle with Finish powerballs can dissolve" Or whatever modern detergent. The stuff is nasty. Not like commercial dishwasher nasty that will melt your hands off when you look at the bottle wrong, but it's the same idea. Just slower.

The bosch also has an easy to remove and clean filter so it's pretty obvious if anything gets left behind.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you don't do mise-en-place, I'm sure it takes up a lot fewer dishes.

Super guilty of making a ton of mess doing exactly this. It's such a nice way to cook.

moana posted:

We're planning on a second dishwasher when we reno the kitchen because sit down dinners for 25 kinda requires that. And yes, that's what we've got coming for christmas this year. You eventually make it through all of the dishes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

H110Hawk posted:

My 3 year old loves looking around. He does not understand his body has a separate pivot point at the neck. And I might as well turn the place into a true wet room when the two of them tear off to use the toilet simultaneously. :stare:

Also replace that wax with a silicone ring now that the toilet is off. Merry Christmas.

Something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Better-Than-Wax-Universal-Wax-Free-Toilet-Seal-7530P24/205762183

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 24, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've had great experience with this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/SANI-SEAL-TOILET-GASKET-Toilet-Gasket-Flexible-Waxless-Seal-Universal-Fit-BL01/203564758

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm having flashbacks to our first house. The upper bathroom leaked through the floor when you ran a bath, but not when you ran a shower. The plumber we called in discovered that the previous owner, doing something or other to the floor, had neatly sawed through the top third of the drain pipe. Shallow water volume did fine, high water volume overflowed through the top of the pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I'm assuming every hinge in our house is lubricated with graphite which is why I'm stuck cleaning up this on every doorframe and floor over and over:

Short of taking them off and cleaning them, is there a way to keep the dust contained to the hinge? Can I just rub maybe Vaseline or something on it?