Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They say wood adds a sense of warmth. Probably needed right now in Michigan.

Three times today I wondered if I really needed a balaclava and ski goggles just to cross a parking lot, opened the door and immediately knew I'd made the right decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Both good answers, thank you.

I was thinking subfloor but there doesn't appear to be much space between the heater in the back and the floor itself. But this is sauna shitter house so maybe the owner just wanted it to resemble a 1900s dust bowl house floor?

It's an actual finish floor that has been in use for a very long time. Look at the signs of wear and tear, and the bright spot where the range is supposed to go. The shrunken boards are water and sun damaged, because the sliding door is a popular entry point. Chances are, it has been installed incorrectly, just like every single goddamn thing in this stupid house.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cat Hatter posted:

Three times today I wondered if I really needed a balaclava and ski goggles just to cross a parking lot, opened the door and immediately knew I'd made the right decision.

My brother lives in Tennessee, told me he plastic wrapped his back door yesterday. A door with a sizable gap on the latching side. The frame isn't pronounced enough from the wall/door to make a good pocket of air to act as an insulating barrier, and any warmer air would slip right out the gap anyhow. So he effectively just put plastic on his door for no reason. Should have stuffed it in the gap instead.

He should know better. We used to plastic wrap the windows of our grandparents' house in Illinois as kids, break out the hair dryers and make it an afternoon project. But he's lived in the South so long now, he's forgotten simple winter poo poo.

Also he doesn't have a furnace, just a heat pump, which isn't exactly useful below freezing. Lol.

The Minge family is collectively as sharp as a butter knife.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Double sink vanity.
Just look at it!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

the yeti posted:

For a phone, possibly. I saw a couple old houses while I was looking that had weird little cubbies with a jack right there.

My house has a phone nook! I feel like I should make it into a little lararia for my household gods or something.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vim Fuego posted:

Double sink vanity.
Just look at it!

I had no idea that PVC adhesive came in spray form

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Vim Fuego posted:

Double sink vanity.
Just look at it!

If your plumbing work needs to be supported by loving ropes, you've really screwed up.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I’m just imagining during the renovation that some Chip and Joanna Gaines sorts were like “We’ll replace the entryway with a rustic farmstyle centerpiece” and the homeowner was just like “Do whatever you want, but if you touch the loving castle turret I will kill you. Figure it out.”

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

Double sink vanity.
Just look at it!

Don't doxx me, man. It was late, I was tired, and it actually worked.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PurpleXVI posted:

If your plumbing work needs to be supported by loving ropes, you've really screwed up.

I could almost forgive the ropes instead of proper strapping if not for the fact that they're tied to other pipes.

Did they use purple spray paint to make it look like they'd used pvc primer?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

the yeti posted:

For a phone, possibly. I saw a couple old houses while I was looking that had weird little cubbies with a jack right there.

Those little desks/cubbies in older kitchens were meant for Mrs. Housewife to keep recipe files and cookbooks, write shopping and to-do lists, do budgeting and bill-paying, answer letters, and all the various other bits of paperwork involved in running a house that everyone does online now. That's why the phone jack was there, so Mrs. H could have the phone right at hand to call stores or her friends.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

PurpleXVI posted:

gently caress I didn't even see those when I came upon this on Reddit. So distracted by the purple spraypaint.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

"Because I wanted to."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I saw this in the meme thread and I want to argue with this jpeg :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tri-wing honestly seems like a good design. Someone tell me why I'm wrong.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PurpleXVI posted:

The cheap bastards who did my aircon hung the ducts using those disposable poly straps that were probably strapping the air handler onto its pallet.

(this poo poo -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7U0KaGADgQ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

Not enough meat in the drive profile.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

They're not and for more reasons than that. Touching them is exactly how you get them to start leaking.

Never touch one unless you have replacement in your hand.

I recently had a T&P fail to reset. This is a circulation system in an industrial bakery and we need 185°F water to keep things moving. The T&P popped (rated for 45psi, 205°F) and, after shutting the heater off, would not reset. It would vomit water any time the temp got above 74°F!

Called a plumber because I'm not about messing with an actual safety system. He replaced the T&P and then helpfully set the water temperature on the heater to 120°F. On a system placarded as "185°F: circulation water." I then had 28,000 pounds of shortening freeze in the ceiling. You wanna know how you get a zero out of five stars rating? This is how.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arrath posted:

Double post, but this needs its own.

Tri-wing and S-type are designed to only ever tighten, only, ever. Never loosen. They're anti-tamper of the FYGM variety. You'll see both of these in such illustrious construction as: prisons, public toilets, high schools, bus shelters, and other places where you don't want anyone to loiter or have any ability to modify their environment.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Tri-wing and S-type are designed to only ever tighten, only, ever. Never loosen. They're anti-tamper of the FYGM variety. You'll see both of these in such illustrious construction as: prisons, public toilets, high schools, bus shelters, and other places where you don't want anyone to loiter or have any ability to modify their environment.

Consumer electronics.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Neco posted:

Consumer electronics.

Lockheed aircraft.

*E* the good thing about most of those heads is if you own a hammer and some impact torx bits, you have the universal tool to remove all of them once

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 24, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

~Coxy posted:

The cheap bastards who did my aircon hung the ducts using those disposable poly straps that were probably strapping the air handler onto its pallet.

(this poo poo -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7U0KaGADgQ

God.

If you don't have any formal pipe holders, at least use some metal patent band.

I don't even think you'd have needed that, in any case, if they'd just brought the drains from the two sinks together into a single p-trap rather than making the design heavier and clunkier by having two p-traps that then go into one drain.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

canyoneer posted:

Both the "actual screws" are complete poo poo that only exist due to momentum, patent fuckery, and ignorance.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Vim Fuego posted:

Double sink vanity.
Just look at it!

Is the Namekian who did this okay?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

canyoneer posted:

:canada: Robertson (square for you squares) 4 lyfe :canada:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

canyoneer posted:

Theres actually a bunch of drives in there that are good, but phillips and slot are not them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There is a sprayable no-primer-needed pvc glue, don’t ask me how I know or look at my sump pump discharge pipe.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Primer is the purple one

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

canyoneer posted:

Even as a parody I find this in poor taste.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

canyoneer posted:

pozi my drive hole screw daddy

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Primer is the purple one

Bad wording, meant to say it’s not a two stage process: https://www.homedepot.com/p/VPC-PipeWeld-All-In-One-Pipe-Cement-Adhesive-for-PVC-Pipe-6-31-05/204867549

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My house has a phone nook! I feel like I should make it into a little lararia for my household gods or something.
My daughter did that with hers! It's ingenious. Apartment building is from ~1930s, and there's a small arched pass-through between the kitchen and the living room. It has a phone jack in it, and dates to back when Ma Bell charged you extra for each phone. One phone, two rooms! Now it's full of candles and crystals and stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Neco posted:

Consumer electronics.

My first experience with the famous Y shaped screws was installing an "Afterburner" backlight kit into an original Game Boy Advance.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Huh, good to know

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I see the point you're trying to make, but I don't really want someone to unscrew the walls of the toilet stall I'm in while I'm taking a poo poo.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

From the OSHA thread

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Zil posted:

From the OSHA thread

when the plumber also owns the parts store

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I went to a cannabis farm for work and the long distance owner had just ousted his manager who had been conning him. The manager owned a nursery supply store and bought all the grow supplies from himself. There was a several story mound of potting soil because instead of reusing and amending last seasons soil the manager would just buy more from his store and charge the owner.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Zil posted:

From the OSHA thread

All that copper will at least pay for exorcising that abomination.