Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CharlestonJew posted:

AFO sheepishly looking down after Hawks pointed out endeavor beat his rear end was fun, at least

"You already caught those hands once, AFO." "Yeah, well... sh-shut up!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Vinylshadow posted:

Six and Koichi have each pulled out their 47th Quirk evolution and have achieved low orbit combat height (Koichi by flying, Six by growing bigger)

Three more chapters and Six will probably try to smash Koichi with the moon

And then Tiger Bunny shows up

I'd just be fine with Koichi vs Six turning into a reenactment of Shippuden 167.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Love how they built up Uravity/Froppy vs. Toga for like months and then we got a big nothing burger.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DizzyBum posted:

Love how they built up Uravity/Froppy vs. Toga for like months and then we got a big nothing burger.

Offscreening it for months with 0 in-story reference to it is the opposite of building it up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It also hasn't actually happened yet and there is no indication that isn't going to happen?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

Offscreening it for months with 0 in-story reference to it is the opposite of building it up.

No the deal with cliff hangers like "Oh poo poo they're going to fight" is that by their nature you're supposed to go "Oh man I wonder what's happening when are we getting back to that" so leaving off with a cliff hanger and then not getting back to it is in fact build up.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
yeah it felt pretty clearly telegraphed that we were gonna get the Toga payoff final battle and redemption but instead they did the same poo poo they did during the hospital raid arc, with toga hopping around like a ninja turtle while ochako pretends to be confused. it’s like hori doesn’t know what to do between the conflict and the resolution of this plot point, and more importantly it is very boring.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No the deal with cliff hangers like "Oh poo poo they're going to fight" is that by their nature you're supposed to go "Oh man I wonder what's happening when are we getting back to that" so leaving off with a cliff hanger and then not getting back to it is in fact build up.

Rhonne posted:

Don't you worry guys, Koichi is going to show up any moment now with backup from the international heroes and also Gentle and La Brava to help turn the tide. Any moment now!

If only. Though, it would be absolutely hilarious if a hero from another country just showed up and slapped AFO down like he was nothing and moved on and nothing was resolved in any kind of satisfactory way.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

yeah it felt pretty clearly telegraphed that we were gonna get the Toga payoff final battle and redemption but instead they did the same poo poo they did during the hospital raid arc, with toga hopping around like a ninja turtle while ochako pretends to be confused. it’s like hori doesn’t know what to do between the conflict and the resolution of this plot point, and more importantly it is very boring.

I'm not even sure what Ochako can even do against Toga backed by an army of ever replicating clones, even with Tsuyu, Jiro, and Tokoyami there too. It feels like a compeltly unwinnable situation without some kind of bullshit. Doesn't help that all Ochako is doing is saying "I want to talk to you about love" while Toga goes "I don't give a poo poo!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

If only. Though, it would be absolutely hilarious if a hero from another country just showed up and slapped AFO down like he was nothing and moved on and nothing was resolved in any kind of satisfactory way.

Don't you guys worry, Kirby's riding in on a Warp Star and he's gonna get a double kill on AFO and Shigaraki.

Just give it 116 more chapters

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ochalo's gonna do a Quirk Evolution and develop her stand: Gravity of Love

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
It's Christmas Day, and MHA's gift is 9 pages of nothing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Official translations:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-376/chapter/25966?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015207

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I have nothing to say about these 9 pages.

But I will say it was a trip that the anime actually flashed back to the cut CRC scene two years after the fact.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TheHan posted:

Hawks: Endeavor-san! We need you to beat the poo poo outta your kids like never before!

Endeavor: I thought you'd never ask :ssj:

Endeavor: I am sorry for my history of domestic abuse and for beating my kids. Now I can beat my kids for the right reasons! :ssj:

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I’ve been pretty patient with this manga despite everything, but the last few chapters of “I’m gonna getcha, just you wait!” have blown hard.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TheHan posted:

Hawks: Endeavor-san! We need you to beat the poo poo outta your kids like never before!

Endeavor: I thought you'd never ask :ssj:

It's not funny

it's kinda funny

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can someone explain why SJ or other manga publications don't let an author work at a slower pace but build up a large number of chapters, so that instead of random breaks and grueling schedules we get a more consistent product?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thoren posted:

Can someone explain why SJ or other manga publications don't let an author work at a slower pace but build up a large number of chapters, so that instead of random breaks and grueling schedules we get a more consistent product?

:capitalism:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thoren posted:

Because that would require either lengthening the interval between issue releases(which would result in less issues sold which means less money) or taking on more series(which would mean both having to pay more mangaka and also taking risks on more series which may not be popular which might drive sales down, which means less money).

Yeah, the current scheduling demands are literally killing the current authors, but they knew what they signed up for!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Thoren posted:

More volumes per year = more profit Is basically the bottom line. And yeah having a larger pool of manga in circulation, rotating biweekly or something would be much healthier for the overall industry and promote more talent, but there is very much an ingrained mindset of "this is how it has always been done" and "we need to stick with tradition/with what works", especially if they don't want to turn away regular buyers of the weekly Shonen Jump Magazine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thoren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTeLy3Ujxc

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It could do with a 3 month, or ideally a 6 month break but there's no way that ever happens.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

It could do with a 3 month, or ideally a 6 month break but there's no way that ever happens.

Tite Kubo actually talked about that in interviews. Basically, the reason he didn't take a big break during Bleach's endgame, even when Jump explicitly offered one, is that if he took that break he was pretty sure he'd never get the momentum back to actually finish.

I think Hori's probably in a similar spot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tataba took a 3 month break to start on his final arc and he still has taken a week off here and there after coming back.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
If Hori's health has become such a giant factor to why the manga is ending, then why isn't the manga getting any closer to wrapping up its plots? It's been almost a year in this Ninja War, and we're still no closer to defeating any of our four villains.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Delphisage posted:

If Hori's health has become such a giant factor to why the manga is ending, then why isn't the manga getting any closer to wrapping up its plots? It's been almost a year in this Ninja War, and we're still no closer to defeating any of our four villains.

didn't the same thing happen with bleach? that last arc dragged until the extremely abrupt ending

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's kind of the nature of long-running shounen finale arcs to drag because the author feels obligated to bring back every character who ever appeared for a HUGE party battle.

Unless you stick to a pretty small cast (Dragonball) or aggressively prune it (Chainsawman.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The chapter leaks are out and... I actually feel hyped about something. :dogstare:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Should we just start posting guesses or you gonna spoiler it for us?

My money: Eri rewinds All Might to Prime Time All Might

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

FilthyImp posted:

I'd rather we discuss it when we have scanlations, but the meat of it is in the below spoilers:

IMO it's nothing really that hype. Shiggy's been freed from Erasure to fight at full power, while La Brava's been pulled out of limbo to have a hacker fight with Skeptic, and all I can think is that Hori is committing self-sabotage by introducing more filler as he refuses to tie up the actual plots that need to have ended by now despite his FAILING HEALTH.

Now please nobody read the above text until TCB delivers their scans on Friday or whenever.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 28, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Chances are good we'll be able to discuss it by tomorrow. I think that's when the scans usually drop, isn't it?

FilthyImp posted:

I would hate that immensely, actually.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will instead float a reaction and I'm looking to forward to seeing if it locks in at all as the chapter comes out:

Hawks that's crossing the line, please apologize to that evil man thank you very much

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If my favs Gentle and LaBrava are coming back I am not too above being pandered to to get hyped again.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 29, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

pray for Hori’s drawing shoulder

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FilthyImp posted:

What if, instead, she learns to fast forward time and grows deku into an adult who can then punch shiragaki in the face extra hard.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Nuebot posted:

What if, instead, she learns to fast forward time and grows deku into an adult who can then punch shiragaki in the face extra hard.

She's gonna unborn deku and shigaraki to make way for the real final battle (All for One vs One for All 2)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

hatty posted:

pray for Hori’s drawing shoulder

:smith:

This makes me incredibly, deeply sad. Dude fulfills what must have been a lifelong dream to be a famous mangaka and author of a wildly popular series and it turns out to be a hosed up monkey paw wish situation where it's basically destroying him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's basically most weekly Jump mangaka who land a long-runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah and it sucks a million tons of rear end for all of those people, too.