Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
When a game really clicks with you, in gameplay and story, it absolutely rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FrostyPox posted:

Looks like I'll have to :filez: Mystic Quest and Legend of Dragoon if I want to play them. May give em a try at some point anyway
:filez: is the definitive way to play Legend of Dragoon especially if you own it because of a lot boring stuff about the average frame delay of an LCD TV and or the various ways to get it to play on Sony hardware.

The QTEs are very demanding of 1990s level latency and there's builds to avoid them but they're much less fun.

Also the backend balance kind of collapses completely into reading the developer minds on builds. I like to pretend the reason there isn't a remaster is the difficulty in fixing the QTEs but the real reason is the last 1/3 collapses into prescriptive avoidance of the fun mechanics that would be hard to correct.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I know this works for Yuffie, so I think it also works for Cloud and co.

Make sure you have AP up materia and that you have beaten the game to get an AP bonus.

Find a battle with a lot of easy to beat enemies in the battle simulator. I think it is the two persons versus high flyers challenge.
Defeat them with magic or a good skill, get the AP, and then quickly leave when the next battle starts (or do the entire challenge). You will keep your AP and can fight the enemies again.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Great now I want to play Type-0 and get sick of it after an hour again.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Type-0 is...... good

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

WoFF:

So the Bahamutian Federation uses, like, Social Credit Score and if you don't keep it up, they move you to the slums. Bummer.

Discovered the summon mechanic in this game, it's pretty cool, a full FMV cutscene where a character from a previous game does a kickass flashy move. I like it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wanted to know how WOFF turned out, but having to go through hoops to even get it to work is not worth it at my age.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Curious of others thoughts on SoP endgame. I found that after I unlocked Breaker and Sage, all other classes felt obsolete. Breaker’s R2 in particular is a super easy way to take down bosses. I want to try experimenting with other classes at endgame, but every time I try I feel like I am gimping myself on an already difficult game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I wanted to know how WOFF turned out, but having to go through hoops to even get it to work is not worth it at my age.

There's an LP of WOFF Maxima on the archives.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beat Crisis Core Reunion. Playtime was 23 hours but I was playing on hard mode and also did about 50% of the side missions along the way. I forgot just how nonsense the story is lol, so much of the game is just stuff happening out of nowhere with no real setup. Characters just randomly change sides without any real explanation. I had no idea what Genesis was even doing during the final battle and like all of the plot-relevant dialogue is characters esoterically talking past each other. Still a fun game but man it is up its own rear end lmao

Anyway gonna go hunt down the BS superboss now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mod that makes a giant vaudeville hook pull genesis offscreen

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

Beat Crisis Core Reunion. Playtime was 23 hours but I was playing on hard mode and also did about 50% of the side missions along the way. I forgot just how nonsense the story is lol, so much of the game is just stuff happening out of nowhere with no real setup. Characters just randomly change sides without any real explanation. I had no idea what Genesis was even doing during the final battle and like all of the plot-relevant dialogue is characters esoterically talking past each other. Still a fun game but man it is up its own rear end lmao

Anyway gonna go hunt down the BS superboss now.

I haven't finished yet, but everything with Angeal is very funny. He leaves and then randomly comes back, and then has you kill him.

I want more Cloud/Zack. What little there is is good.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Crisis Core is very emblematic of the whole FF 7 EU. Every new character or story element is laughably bad, but the stuff concerning or building on the original game is pretty good.

This is probably why it’s the only worthwhile media outside of the original FF7 until the remake happened. It’s the only one to deal directly with stuff from the original game. You kinda just have to deal with the weird new original content as a concession. Helps too that it was pretty fun for being a portable title.

The way elements like Zach and cloud’s established backstories juxtapose so weirdly with the new stuff like Genesis is jarring.

I kinda feel as though advent children and all that other stuff I mentioned just smacks way too hard of new age final fantasy that it never really felt like it “belonged” to the tone or feel of the original FF 7. Crisis Core contains some of each.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 26, 2022

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I had a lot of fun playing Crisis Core Reunion, and even bothered to get the platinum trophy for it on PS5. The story was mostly nonsense, though I did appreciate the smaller bits with Zack and Cloud or Zack and Aerith. The mission bits were repetitive, but decent enough to just play while watching a movie or whatever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Digital Foundry posted the first half of their FFXIII retrospective.

It’s really interesting in hindsight that the tight linearity of FFXIII can now be viewed as a benefit in a world where everything is an open world. The game’s overall design is very deliberate whereas the next mainline game, XV, is a hodgepodge of ideas thrown together due to the messy development.

Final Fantasy has yet to nail the open world concept. XV has a large world, but it doesn’t feel open world. The car felt limited, and stopping really felt more like you were doing pit stops or visiting roadside attractions, which is a neat vibe of its own. There’s also the fact that you have less control over where you go the further you progress in the story.

I don’t know how FFXVI is going to feel in this regard. Maybe I haven’t paid too much attention, but they probably would have been shouting open world in all the marketing if it were so. Especially after Elden Ring’s success.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Looking forward to Crisis Core Reunion when I get to it, I love absolutely batshit stories and settings (which is why I love Type-0 and VIII so much I guess)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Detective No. 27 posted:

It’s really interesting in hindsight that the tight linearity of FFXIII can now be viewed as a benefit in a world where everything is an open world. The game’s overall design is very deliberate whereas the next mainline game, XV, is a hodgepodge of ideas thrown together due to the messy development.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I don't think I'll ever call what XIII did a benefit. It was more like the prototype for the kind of world design that 7R perfected.

FFXIII is probably the most honest jrpg I've ever played in terms of telling you straight up that the level design is just a straight path, and exploration does not matter, but the illusion of it is important to keeping me engaged.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t know how FFXVI is going to feel in this regard. Maybe I haven’t paid too much attention, but they probably would have been shouting open world in all the marketing if it were so. Especially after Elden Ring’s success.

They've been saying that the game's gonna be area-based rather than openworld since at least June.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why don't XIII-2, XII-3: Lightning Returns, and XIV count in that evaluation? :confused: That's a seven year gap if you don't include any of them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The game’s overall design is very deliberate whereas the next mainline game, XV, is a hodgepodge of ideas thrown together due to the messy development.

characters literally flicker in and out of existence between scenes because the cinematics and the gameplay segments were developed out of order and stitched together. it was every bit the hackjob FFXV is without a tenth of the charm

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ll play 15 any day over 13. All 13 had going for it was the visuals and the combat. At least 13-2 addressed the linearity to some extent.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

characters literally flicker in and out of existence between scenes because the cinematics and the gameplay segments were developed out of order and stitched together. it was every bit the hackjob FFXV is without a tenth of the charm

Lmao forever at Rosch dying twice

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Lmao forever at Rosch dying twice

cid dies twice. rosch arguably dies thrice!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

man nurse posted:

I’ll play 15 any day over 13. All 13 had going for it was the visuals and the combat. At least 13-2 addressed the linearity to some extent.

I’d argue the soundtrack too. But either way that’s why it’s better than 15 IMO. They both had terrible plots, but 13 gets away with it because it’s actually fun to play.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ah yes the next thing after 13, 15

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

cid dies twice. rosch arguably dies thrice!

IIRC he gets shot when everybody is held up at Hope's house (was it ever even said by who?), he gets taken out while pursuing our heroes as they flee the Palamecia, and then he finally dies when he blows himself up. Correct?

But hey, I'll still take him over Jihl. I don't think I've ever seen a more painfully generic and unlikable villain in an FF game. The fact they built her up and up only to have Bart randomly kill her is stupid from a writing perspective, but satisfying from my perspective.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the only good part of 13's soundtrack was Pulse de Chocobo and the Blinded by Light leitmotif (this would be improved in the sequels), its combat takes 10-15 hours before deigning to let you fully enjoy it, and its cast dynamics are about as compelling as watching grass grow compared to the Boys' immediate chemistry

bad game. big mistake. glad its design didn't carry forward

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Type-0 is...... good

-ish. I'm glad you liked it, FrostyPox. It's certainly kind of a mess but it has some neat stuff that makes up for it imo. I definitely cared more about Queen and Nines and the rest than the FF13 crew and I think think it tackled both the character stuff and world stuff better than FF13 as well. Bonus points for Type-0 Alexander being great and horrifying

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It would be a travesty to compare FF14 to any game, let alone FF13.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FFXIII is and was a game that got so much poo poo for things that practically every game after it ended up doing. I remember the sheer amount of bitching and moaning and whining about how “all of the game’s plot is tied up in its codex” when quite literally every loving game nowadays straight up expects you to read a small novel of backstory that has no way of being told in-narrative without breaking ludonarrative dissonance. gently caress, either of the DOOM reboots expect you to read their codices if you truly want to know what’s going on behind the scenes. Fuckin’ DOOM.

But even then the complaints don’t hold any real water. The story as written, without the codex, is otherwise pretty simplistic- they said they wanted to make Anime LOST, and they did. Group of disparate people from all walks of life assigned to accomplish a task together, who end up being revealed to have more in common via flashback. The inciting incident and their overall task is never really that confusing and there was a ton of disingenuous/ intentionally obtuse bad-faith actors who memetically made it “true” how much convoluted nonsense the plot was when it really, really wasn’t.

Most importantly though, whether intentionally or not FFXIII ends up being a really good first part of a trilogy, where it has clearly-defined stakes and a clear overall goal for the protagonists to accomplish, which they do, but in so doing end up setting up the dark middle chapter (xiii-2) and the closure of the trilogy that ties up all the loose ends (LR). Especially now, with FNC completed, we can see things that FFXIII does that end up justified in later entries in the trilogy, like having a literal deus ex machina resolving its climax being one of the very few earned instances of that happening in media, considering how xiii-2 investigates those immediate repercussions and LR is literally all about trying to prevent a deus ex machina.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

XIII's legacy is VIIR, XV's is Forspoken. Case closed.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

I’d argue the soundtrack too. But either way that’s why it’s better than 15 IMO. They both had terrible plots, but 13 gets away with it because it’s actually fun to play.

Not for me. I vastly enjoyed 15’s exploration and general gameplay loop even if the combat was overly simple. The act of exploring the world and doing hunts or quests, turning in for the night, maybe cooking a meal or saving some photos, etc was far more compelling to me than running forward towards the next melodramatic cutscene. The vibe carried the experience for me. Whereas 13’s combat did not do enough to make up for the long and joyless experience it is outside of battles.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oxxidation posted:

bad game. big mistake. glad its design didn't carry forward

The XIII DNA is clear to see in VIIR.

E: Beaten by Motto.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

The XIII DNA is clear to see in VIIR.

VIIR is a refinement of the ideas in XV, not XIII

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, I've never seen anybody say VIIR was anything but the perfected XV.

This is the first I've heard of it being like XIII and I'd like to hear an explanation of how that works.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The only dna 7R shares with 13 is it’s worst trait: all the environments feel like pretty hallways rather than actual spaces. It was my biggest complaint about the remake, which I give a pass because it’s midgar and it makes more sense in that context to not have big open spaces and instead focus on the narrative.

I’m hoping they go bigger for part 2.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In contrast XV’s story is every bit the convoluted, poorly-told, awkward garbage detractors want to claim XIII’s is - I’m still kind of stunned that they decided the best way to explain to you the game’s backstory was instead of context-appropriate codex entries unlocked as you got more involved with the characters, or flashbacks, or anything, they literally just patched in a lore dump room before you even start the game where they expect you to just suddenly memorize it all immediately without any investment in literally any part of the game’s story and continue - but the smart thing XV does is divorce itself as immediately and as aggressively as it can from the game’s plot, with the weakest parts of the game being when it feels like it is being forced into having to explain the overall narrative besides the small-scale, individual stories of the world, where the storytelling shines, or focusing on worldbuilding, which again it is absolutely stellar at.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FF7R is largely about understanding each encounter's attributes and exploiting them to build then exploit stagger meters while managing the actions of two AI partners and frequently swapping roles midbattle.

XV is about holding an attack button, occasionally warping, and maybe using the three disposable spells you're allowed per fight and have to remake and equip after.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Returns has an ok proto-FFVIIR comparison. Swapping lightnings clothes sort of mirrors switching between party members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah XIII and VIIR aren’t alike at all. It’s a disservice to both games to compare them especially when you consider how XIII has some of the best gameplay in the series and is itself an organic evolution of both X/-2’s and XII’s systems.