Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 is my favorite mainline Final Fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bahamut posted:

I just wish they'd get away from this single-character action poo poo with idiot AI companions, and enemies that target who you currently control just because that's who you're controlling.
I want to be able oversee/declare actions for the whole goddamn party without it being a nightmare hassle of having to explicitly leap between characters.

Is this single-character action poo poo with idiot AI companions really what most people want out of a mainline Final Fantasy game these days?

I imagine it's very difficult to justify a AAA big budget turn based RPG, and no way is Square making a mainline Final Fantasy that isn't a AAA big budget game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

bahamut posted:

Is this single-character action poo poo with idiot AI companions really what most people want out of a mainline Final Fantasy game these days?

Yes.

Mostly to piss off Cleretic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, I've never seen anybody say VIIR was anything but the perfected XV.

This is the first I've heard of it being like XIII and I'd like to hear an explanation of how that works.

At the core of it is the fact that they were developed by many of the same people (as opposed to XV which was not).

In terms of details, they both share the stagger system and have very similar linear level design with the occasional hub area + AI party members.

Comparing VIIR with XV is actually kind of strange, since the only thing they really share in common is live action combat (and that live action combat is fundamentally very different).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes.

Mostly to piss off Cleretic.

Hey I'm mad, too.

But I can wait. These things go in cycles. See you all in 2033 when FFXVIII comes out and we get a proper turn-based party JRPG again.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey I'm mad, too.

But you're not entertainingly mad about it.

quote:

But I can wait. These things go in cycles. See you all in 2033 when FFXX comes out and we get a proper turn-based party JRPG again.

That makes me think about the FF poster in Deus Ex Human Revolution, and how far behind we are. I think it was for FFXXVII and that games set in like 2030. Remember when Square could pump these games out every other year?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

Oxxidation posted:

yes, it’s great

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, probably

Why is this style of play favored? What makes it better?

Schwarzwald posted:

I imagine it's very difficult to justify a AAA big budget turn based RPG, and no way is Square making a mainline Final Fantasy that isn't a AAA big budget game.

I see this perspective, but I'm still not so sure about this. FF games have been AAA titles since the party-control days, and it didn't seem a problem then. If anything, I'd say that this recent trend of being actiony like other actiony games has kind of caused the FF series to be less distinctive gameplay-wise.

NikkolasKing posted:

But I can wait. These things go in cycles. See you all in 2033 when FFXVIII comes out and we get a proper turn-based party JRPG again.

This is my hope. I just hope I'm still alive to see it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Schwarzwald posted:

Quick, someone tell Atlus. And the Yakuza devs.

EDIT: and MonolithSoft, since let's be honest Xenoblade is less 'action' than FFXII.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bahamut posted:

Yes. It's good. Sorry hater.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cleretic posted:

And the Yakuza devs.

I hope they change their mind about this, because I didn't like it much at all. The action system from Lost Judgement seemed like a much better progression of Yakuza gameplay.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bahamut posted:

I see this perspective, but I'm still not so sure about this. FF games have been AAA titles since the party-control days, and it didn't seem a problem then.

I think it works with the timeline. The last full party-control game was FFX, right? That's contemporary with Halo. Square hadn't decided that "single-player action with AI companions" was what they wanted to promote, because the concept barely existed.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

I don’t know how AAA it’s considered but I’m playing Persona 5 Royal right now which is turn based and it seems like it has pretty high production values and is relatively recent.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Quick, someone tell Atlus. And the Yakuza devs.

The Yakuza RPG is more simplified than DQ and is not a good RPG. Fantastic game but a boring as sin RPG and if you want more of that in the medium you're gonna kill the genre faster than anything else.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I think it works with the timeline. The last full party-control game was FFX, right? That's contemporary with Halo. Square hadn't decided that "single-player action with AI companions" was what they wanted to promote, because the concept barely existed.

And of course FFX has remained the absolute most popular FF game in Japan for twenty years, and all the other most popular games besides XIV are also basically turn-based full party games. (VII, VI, and IX)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Yakuza RPG is more simplified than DQ and is not a good RPG. Fantastic game but a boring as sin RPG and if you want more of that in the medium you're gonna kill the genre faster than anything else.

What’s funny is Yakuza has been a premiere series overseas for some time and is largely obtaining the same status in the west. It’s probably one of Sega’s proprietary AAA franchises now. And not only was it never an RPG before 7, which is a gamble in itself, but it’s turn based to boot.

Taking gameplay risks with mainline entries in a AAA franchise god drat it almost reminds me of turning FF into an MMO

it’s like poetry it rhymes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atlus and Yakuza aren't AAA, they're mid budget at best and most Atlus stuff barely makes the 'mid' descriptor.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes. It's good. Sorry hater.
You don't need to apologize to me any. I'm good. I got all the best Final Fantasies so far.

I'm just trying to better understand how, exactly, we got to this point. Why is having a Final Fantasy game be more like other actiony games preferable to the more distinctive gameplay of earlier entries in the series?

A little while ago Naoki Yoshida had said something to the effect that Final Fantasy was struggling to find its place these days. I just wonder if this problem is perhaps in part the result of this current actiony-FF gameplay trend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Looking forward to the upcoming Yakuza Battle Royale game, capitalizing on all the latest trends.

In a bold departure from the series' norm, there will be no story. You will just choose your favorite Yakuza character (equipped with skins earned through the BP or purchased with microtransactions) and parachute into Kamurocho, where you duke it out with the other players.

In future seasons other areas like Sotenbori can be added.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nintendo considers Fire Emblem Heroes to be a mainline game and I think we can all agree to ignore that.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

bahamut posted:

You don't need to apologize to me any. I'm good. I got all the best Final Fantasies so far.

I'm just trying to better understand how, exactly, we got to this point. Why is having a Final Fantasy game be more like other actiony games preferable to the more distinctive gameplay of earlier entries in the series?

A little while ago Naoki Yoshida had said something to the effect that Final Fantasy was struggling to find its place these days. I just wonder if this problem is perhaps in part the result of this current actiony-FF gameplay trend.

FFVIIR has way more fun combat then any of the numbered mainline FF games

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bahamut posted:

I’d say FF was struggling because it was once the gold standard for story-based RPGs, and then it started to get outclassed by the rise of WRPGs and more open-world fare. When you’re essentially the king of an entire genre and then suddenly find yourself very quickly feeling outdated by changing tastes and trends, things are gonna feel wobbly for a bit in terms of direction. Couple that with severe mismanagement on several major titles and struggling to adjust to the era of HD gaming, and that’s a recipe for an identity crisis.

I don’t think it had anything to do with the switch to more action-oriented combat. In fact, I think that has honestly helped the series stay somewhat relevant, while still setting itself apart from stuff like Dragon Quest and Xenoblade.

RevolverDivider posted:

FFVIIR has way more fun combat then any of the numbered mainline FF games

Also this.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering square is now giving us stuff like Bravely Default, Octopath, and Triangle Strategy, I don't think we really need Final Fantasy to fill in the turn based boots anymore. The series has reinvented the wheel every game after X, so I think the ship has sailed on it ever going back to how it was in the old days.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I want Pixel Remasters of all their games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah i love turn based games but also there is no shortage of them both from SE and from the indie sphere. we aren't starved for good turn based rpgs

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Momomo posted:

Considering square is now giving us stuff like Bravely Default, Octopath, and Triangle Strategy, I don't think we really need Final Fantasy to fill in the turn based boots anymore. The series has reinvented the wheel every game after X, so I think the ship has sailed on it ever going back to how it was in the old days.

Bravely and Octopath aren't exactly good at their thing, we went over this recently. They're too long and scared of being interesting for any longer than the final dungeon.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Default and Second are good games it's only II that's poo poo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Bravely and Octopath aren't exactly good at their thing, we went over this recently. They're too long and scared of being interesting for any longer than the final dungeon.

This exactly. I tried playing BD1, I really did. but I could not possibly care less about the plot or the characters, it was so half-assed.

Turn-based is good. Turn-based combined with a cool plot is infinitely better.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
turn-based is the refuge of the fundamentally cowardly, those who need reality stopped to make sure they are comfortable before every step forward they take

in conclusion, revenant wings is the best final fantasy

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

And of course FFX has remained the absolute most popular FF game in Japan for twenty years, and all the other most popular games besides XIV are also basically turn-based full party games. (VII, VI, and IX)

14 actually won the 35th anniversary popularity poll (single-character real-time action game with idiot ai companions)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

14 actually won the 35th anniversary popularity poll (single-character real-time action game with idiot ai companions)

Maybe it's changed in two years but FFX won the NHK poll. FFXIV only placed 5th.
https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-nhk-fan-poll-results/

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 27, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1604439377672753154?s=46&t=uQQdET-JWh8KPd_u24oYjQ

think this was just discussed but they lumped 7r (real-time action etc.) in with 7 which prob explains it passing 10

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is ff7r a mainline game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXIII is really good whenever I don't have to focus on the story. Plot, setting, gameplay* all fantastic except the darn events and character talking.

*The post game turtle grind is absurdly poo poo.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mean Baby posted:

Curious of others thoughts on SoP endgame. I found that after I unlocked Breaker and Sage, all other classes felt obsolete. Breaker’s R2 in particular is a super easy way to take down bosses. I want to try experimenting with other classes at endgame, but every time I try I feel like I am gimping myself on an already difficult game.

They’re both really good, but breaker in particular falls off late into post game because the damage cap can’t keep up with enemy health pools deep into the rift, so you need to hit both fast and hard or focus on break damage or both. Magic also falls behind a good bit very late game, and ranged attacks are less important when bosses have no chance to even touch ridiculously overpowered late game builds.

Paladin and dark knight are, in my impression, the strongest post game jobs, but I’ve personally only played a Paladin up to floor 67 or so of the rift (could reliably and easily kill every boss in one combo, but I don’t know if that would last to floor 100; I need a break before different future comes out). I’ve seen duelist and ronin do terrifying amounts of damage, too. Even in the main story, Warrior (tank option, the decreased damage taken during attack combo link is serious business), Berserker or dark knight with blood weapon and an axe all might give breaker or sage a run for its money.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Detective No. 27 posted:

Digital Foundry posted the first half of their FFXIII retrospective.

Is anyone going to talk about the video?

I'm only up to part two in the video but I really like it, as I usually like Digital Foundary's content. I definitely wasn't expecting them to pull up the infamous NeoGAF post from the classic Fragmaster video, but it gave me a good laugh. I also am the kinda nerd who likes breaking down demos before final game releases, so I liked seeing how the devs tried a less automatic battle system for the demo, even if it would've been kinda crazy to control all of that when you insert paradigm shifting into the mix.

FrostyPox posted:

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD: This might be my favorite single player Final Fantasy game. I recognize that this is a scalding, piping hot take that may cause sixth-degree buns (which is better than those poor fuckers at the White Tiger forward base got).

Frostypox I just want to say, as a lurker who's read most of your posts going through the games, I think it's cool that this is where you landed after playing everything. It helps a bit that you've posted (extensively) about every other game so we already knew where you landed on those ones. I've not played Type-0 myself since I haven't heard much outside the general negativity around the game, even though the story stuff I've seen (that you already covered) seemed very cool to me and I generally like the tone of FNC games. Hearing people here actually liking the game makes me want to give it a try one day.

I also completely sympathize with choosing an oddball game for you single player favorite, since FF13 is my favorite which also feels like a scalding hot take against the regular posters here. You kinda allude to this, but I think it just comes down to less about how flawed or flawless these games are, but how much their core stories/tone and gameplay/rhythm resonate with you. I've always felt like any game that strongly resonates with you (anyone) can make you overcome personal hang-ups on whatever flaws, and just have fun in your own way.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

the best form of FF combat would, in fact, be single-player action with AI driven companions, but the AI needs to be good and the character being controlled needs to have a variety of playstyles based on weapons and skills. Being able to switch to the companion characters is a must.

It should also ideally include breaksights and killsights.

And Verboten Eidolons filling in the role of WMDs

Basically what I'm saying is a more refined FF Type-0 with better level design and more interesting enemies would be the best Final Fantasy.

I will not be accepting any questions at this time. Don't @ me

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 27, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ventana posted:

,but I think it just comes down to less about how flawed or flawless these games are, but how much their core stories/tone and gameplay/rhythm resonate with you. I've always felt like any game that strongly resonates with you (anyone) can make you overcome personal hang-ups on whatever flaws, and just have fun in your own way.

:yeah:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

WoFF: Got the Fire Key. Story's pretty mediocre so far. Some kinda prophecy about collecting the keys and ascending the Crystal Tower, then ????, then profit (I assume this is expected to destroy the Bahamutians). But as vague as that prophecy is, there's one that's even vaguer but contradictory. Either way, these kids who were in a time bubble, the children of the most powerful Summoner, and chosen by god to go to this weird little world probably have some part to play in it I bet.

Pretty much all the boxes have been ticked so far, still waiting for Cid and The Dragoon, all though the Bahamutian Soldiers could kinda fill the role of Dragoon; they have spiky, dragon-y armor and weapons that are like thick lances.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 27, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If canon is an impediment to understanding, then cast it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

They're too long and scared of being interesting

We're talking about Final Fantasy, not your posts. :smuggo: