Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

They're too long and scared of being interesting for any longer than the final dungeon.

They're too afraid of being interesting longer than the end of the game?

Are you stupid? what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They're too afraid of being interesting longer than the end of the game?

Are you stupid? what?

By which I mean 'they're never interesting outside of that one dungeon'. Yes, I probably could've worded that better.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Ventana posted:

Is anyone going to talk about the video?

I'm only up to part two in the video but I really like it, as I usually like Digital Foundary's content. I definitely wasn't expecting them to pull up the infamous NeoGAF post from the classic Fragmaster video, but it gave me a good laugh. I also am the kinda nerd who likes breaking down demos before final game releases, so I liked seeing how the devs tried a less automatic battle system for the demo, even if it would've been kinda crazy to control all of that when you insert paradigm shifting

I watched the whole video and it is a lot of fun. I’ve only beaten XIII - XV, 7R, and SoP, but I think XIII is my overall favorite. Playing it on PC a decade after release when open world games are a dime a dozen gives me a different perspective I suppose.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m really impressed with Crisis Core reunion. Feels like they gave an ok level PSP game the Nier replicant style remake. It’s so much more fun now.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I thought Crisis Core was a real piece of poo poo (with okay combat and horrible mission structure). Just the worst, most bafflingly told video game story I've ever seen.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Crisis Core is a weird expansion of an important but originally succinct subplot. One example that always springs to mind is when Zack storms into the JENOVA chamber after Sephiroth only to get immediately tossed out in the original, but in CC you get a multistage boss fight with him in an implausibly large arena.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cleretic posted:

Bravely and Octopath aren't exactly good at their thing, we went over this recently. They're too long and scared of being interesting for any longer than the final dungeon.

Protip just because you and like one other person said it does not make it true.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bravely is good but wasn't all too big on Octopath. Especially now that the Live a Live remake is out and outclasses it in every way as an rpg about following 8 unrelated characters with their own adventures and totally different vibes that kinda come together at the end.

Which speaking of turn based Square rpgs, Live a Live is fantastic and well worth getting into even if you've played the original.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are things done first by Live A Live in 1994 that are still done best by Live A Live in 2022. It's not a perfect game, but it is remarkable, and they did a fantastic job with the remake. If you're posting in the Final Fantasy thread and you haven't checked it out, you should.

I came away from Octopath Traveler thinking it was an interesting prototype, but a sequel could really shine. I guess I'll find out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NieR Occomata posted:

Oh right god FFXV doesn’t have permanent spells! God I forgot all about that. The only FF that was able to turn “spells as a consumable” into a good design decision was 8, and only because you could make your character into an unkillable god if you junctioned right.

FFXV’s magic system was just vancian casting.

Imagine if !Mix had vancian spell slots. Also, the mix command lets you include an element as an ingredient. When you rest, however, you don’t refresh the spell slots, you just refresh the elemental ingredients.

That’s the FF15 magic system.

jokes fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 27, 2022

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SettingSun posted:

Crisis Core is a weird expansion of an important but originally succinct subplot. One example that always springs to mind is when Zack storms into the JENOVA chamber after Sephiroth only to get immediately tossed out in the original, but in CC you get a multistage boss fight with him in an implausibly large arena.

The implausibly large area is a weird, I agree. But the multi-stage boss fight at least makes sense, while he’s not on Sephiroth’s level, he is a SOLDIER first class. He should at least be able to play defence for a bit before getting thrown out the door.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t consider XI and XIV as mainline games since they’re MMOs. An MMO should not be a mainline entry in a single player franchise. They should have called them Final Fantasy Online.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't consider XV a main FF game because it doesn't have Alexander.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It does bum me out a little that XI apparently has an excellent story. I appreciate that it's practically a single-player experience at this point but that doesn't really sway me, my main issue is the UI is just so incredibly sluggish and dated, it just makes everything feel incredibly slow. The actual in-game graphics etc. are fine.

FWIW I did actually play the game in its heyday (up til Abyssea) and while I remember being a bit annoyed at the UI back then, these days it's really difficult to go back to.

IIRC they were actually developing a fully single-player experience with improved UI and such of XI, weren't they?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FFXI once had a mobile port in development that I think was primarily geared towards a single player experience but that has long since been canceled.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My main experience with XI is watching a college girlfriend play it obsessively. Half of our conversations were about her Chocobo breeding. It got very tiring.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

There are things done first by Live A Live in 1994 that are still done best by Live A Live in 2022. It's not a perfect game, but it is remarkable, and they did a fantastic job with the remake. If you're posting in the Final Fantasy thread and you haven't checked it out, you should.

I came away from Octopath Traveler thinking it was an interesting prototype, but a sequel could really shine. I guess I'll find out.

I have faith that Octopath 2 is gonna rule.

Between Bravely Default, Octopath, and Triangle Strategy, they've been very open about listening to feedback and making changes accordingly so I think they're gonna take some of the common criticisms to heart.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Protip just because you and like one other person said it does not make it true.

No the two people unable to read have decided it so it's law now.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It does bum me out a little that XI apparently has an excellent story. I appreciate that it's practically a single-player experience at this point but that doesn't really sway me, my main issue is the UI is just so incredibly sluggish and dated, it just makes everything feel incredibly slow. The actual in-game graphics etc. are fine.

FWIW I did actually play the game in its heyday (up til Abyssea) and while I remember being a bit annoyed at the UI back then, these days it's really difficult to go back to.

IIRC they were actually developing a fully single-player experience with improved UI and such of XI, weren't they?

I'm working up the courage to do a LP of it. I'm not blind to it and I'm not as good of a writer as say Sanguinia doing 14 but I really would like people to be able to experience the story of 11 even if that means I have to make a new character and deal with ALL of 11.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

WoFF: Got the Fire Key. Story's pretty mediocre so far. Some kinda prophecy about collecting the keys and ascending the Crystal Tower.....

The Crystal Tower is where my playthrough ended, because I literally could not see it. Not in a "ha ha it's clear I see through it" sort of way--in a "my video card will not render this tower" (or, indeed, any of the effects that I assume involve transparent polygons, so one or two spell effects were affected) way. I was literally walking on the air, and couldn't find a single fix for the issue. I assume it works now with a new card, but the game was really dragging, and it gave me an excuse to stop playing.

But, considering others in this thread said they had to jump through hoops to get it to work, it sounds like I probably wasn't alone in my issues.

Edit: Oh! It was Shiva, I think? Ice monsters/attacks looked weird.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 27, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
They really should give the FFXI crew some more money. The team had an AMA on reddit earlier this year and when asked what they'd do if they were given unlimited money said they would spend it on renovating their development environment, revamp the UI, re-organize the tutorial, release an expansion, and hold a live in-person event in the US.

Any one of those would be great, but Square Enix probably thinks (and they are probably right) that it wouldn't be profitable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Srice posted:

Between Bravely Default, Octopath, and Triangle Strategy, they've been very open about listening to feedback and making changes accordingly so I think they're gonna take some of the common criticisms to heart.

I hope that means the Octopath 2 characters will interact. That put me off the first game, which was fine mechanically and I liked the individual stories but you'd have things like Therion going "I work alone!" and then proceeds to mutely join a group of randos.

OhFunny posted:

They really should give the FFXI crew some more money. The team had an AMA on reddit earlier this year and when asked what they'd do if they were given unlimited money said they would spend it on renovating their development environment, revamp the UI, re-organize the tutorial, release an expansion, and hold a live in-person event in the US.

Any one of those would be great, but Square Enix probably thinks (and they are probably right) that it wouldn't be profitable.

Sounds like FFXI is like Champions Online. Profitable enough to keep the lights on and things fixed, not enough to actually do much with.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Srice posted:

Prediction: Cleretic still won't be happy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Step 1 is getting a restraining order against Tanaka

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
lettuce all remember the sacred rule of the something awful final fantasy thread on the something awful forums:

"Every Final Fantasy game is the [best/worst] Final Fantasy game."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I hope that means the Octopath 2 characters will interact. That put me off the first game, which was fine mechanically and I liked the individual stories but you'd have things like Therion going "I work alone!" and then proceeds to mutely join a group of randos.

It never bugged me personally but I wouldn't mind seeing that aspect be made more cohesive instead of relegating party interactions to skits.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pennfalath posted:

I know this works for Yuffie, so I think it also works for Cloud and co.

Make sure you have AP up materia and that you have beaten the game to get an AP bonus.

Find a battle with a lot of easy to beat enemies in the battle simulator. I think it is the two persons versus high flyers challenge.
Defeat them with magic or a good skill, get the AP, and then quickly leave when the next battle starts (or do the entire challenge). You will keep your AP and can fight the enemies again.

I’ll probably do it this way so I don’t have to leave and start a new chapter only to come back later. This is also easy because I guess you can use Magnify+Fire to wipe the enemies immediately but it refills your MP every battle. I just wish it were on the Switch so I didn’t have to take over the tv just to grind lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Sounds like FFXI is like Champions Online. Profitable enough to keep the lights on and things fixed, not enough to actually do much with.

It is a shame. FFXI is the second most profitable game of the franchise. Square Enix could certainly afford to give to a little more love.

Would have been a better use of money than the bombs that were the Marvel live service game or the Wonderlands live service game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I bought Strange of Paradise so I thought it'd be worth playing FF1 first and it was actually pretty good! I went with Warrior/Black Mage/White Mage/Monk which worked out ok, I'd be curious to know what the best team is (I had kinda wanted to have a Red Mage in there but wasn't sure if they were any good) The pixel remaster is maybe a little on the easy side but I still ran into some tricky situations early on because I hadn't stocked up on antidotes/potions/ethers and was worried I wouldn't have enough resources to get back out of the dungeon/make it to a town (actually Chaos was surprisingly difficult too)

now i've been running up and down a bridge for like an hour to get warmech to spawn but it isn't happening

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

OhFunny posted:

It is a shame. FFXI is the second most profitable game of the franchise. Square Enix could certainly afford to give to a little more love.

Would have been a better use of money than the bombs that were the Marvel live service game or the Wonderlands live service game.

I feel like if they combined subs with FF14 it'd breathe a poo poo ton of life into the game. Lord knows I'd be playing more of 11 if I didn't have to pay 2 subs to do it.

I spent a good chunk of the long wait for EW playing it last year. The puppet class rules.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Srice posted:

I just hope they name the sequel to Triangle Strategy "Quadrilateral Strategy", though "Pentagon Strategy" will be kinda confusing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I feel like if they combined subs with FF14 it'd breathe a poo poo ton of life into the game. Lord knows I'd be playing more of 11 if I didn't have to pay 2 subs to do it.

I spent a good chunk of the long wait for EW playing it last year. The puppet class rules.
i'm sure spreadsheet touchers have ample evidence that it would lose them money, but agreed. last year i actually thought they did already (or offered a fairly cheap combined sub, ilke $15/mo for both) but was apparently mistaken.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

For me they'd have to nerf the super hard first boss (the awful, dated ui)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GloomMouse posted:

For me they'd have to nerf the super hard first boss (the awful, dated ui)

I finally got to where It's fine for my brain and all I had to do was stop trying to pretend it's PC game and get a Playstation style controller and it suddenly all made sense.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm surprised they haven't offered an expanded time unlimited trial like FFXIV has.

Is FFXI just not structured in a way to do this?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FFXI had some really great jobs

I really miss Corsair

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

OhFunny posted:

I'm surprised they haven't offered an expanded time unlimited trial like FFXIV has.

It's....way more free form how you can approach content so I think it'd be harder, yeah.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ManSedan posted:

lettuce all remember the sacred rule of the something awful final fantasy thread on the something awful forums:

"Every Final Fantasy game is the [best/worst] Final Fantasy game."
Needs updated for 2023 apparently.

Every Final Fantasy is/isn't mainline.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

OhFunny posted:

Everything kinda unlocks at once and I don't know how possible it is to turn off expansions anymore. A lot of the big quality of life improvements come from doing the capstone to the game which you can do alongside the rest of the game in bits and pieces.

Honestly its a miracle that the last ps2 dev kit is still alive and trying it's best. Asking it to do some type of free trial version might kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

OddObserver posted:

I just hope they name the sequel to Triangle Strategy "Quadrilateral Strategy", though "Pentagon Strategy" will be kinda confusing.

I’d prefer Triangle Strategy -> Pyramid Strategy -> Pentachoron Strategy, just to get more people exposed to the word pentachoron.