Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Dog posted:

Thanks, MeowMeowMeow, stole some inspiration and your design. Scaled down about 1/3rd of the size of your sideboard, reflecting the fraction of craftsmanship that went into it. Also, this was my first time using a couple of techniques, so didn't want to risk more than the minimal amount of lumber.

Sized to be appropriate for a nightstand, but kinda fired from the hip on the proportions. I think the standoff on the base ended up a little too aggressive. This was my first time assembling a carcase using handcut dovetails and I'm not in hurry to do it again tbh. The end result turned out better than I expected, but it all took forever. I easily spent as much time just sharpening chisels as I would have running a router if I had machine-cut these. Used a bit of wallpaper offcut to dress the back and actually really like how that detail turned out. Worst injury sustained in the process is visible in that top/back corner. Got a little carried away and forgot I was mitering the ends, sawed straight thru. Fix was to cut a kerf wide enough to obliterate the defect, then plug with a strip of walnut. I rather like the contrast there. Respect your defects.
That's beautiful. And I'm going to remember "respect your defects" when sewing, so thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've always sort of hated making picture frames. Been through a bunch of different jigs for cutting and clamping but recently I've had sort of a final revelation and I'm done messing around with different methods. Got to the point where I've enjoyed making the last couple.

I've known about Collins clamps for years but ignored them because they poke holes. They poke holes, but also I always spline frames. It takes like 30 seconds to mark centers and then just line up the clamps to poke holes where the splines will be. It's SO goddamn simple and I can't believe it hadn't ever occurred to me. Best clamping method by far. Rock solid, easy to adjust. No more strap clamps or insane jigs. They also look like dicks.

Until recently I'd been gluing on blocks and trimming them off with the bandsaw/handplane. Still had to do that recently because I've only got 4 collins clamps.

It's good. I don't hate frames anymore.

e: also an L-fence on the tablesaw is a great way to trim splines. Discovered that recently too.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's beautiful. And I'm going to remember "respect your defects" when sewing, so thanks for that.

Funny you mention sewing, I had just been thinking about visible mending.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My wife got me a set of ISOtunes for Christmas and holy crap it’s what I’ve been missing. I always had music playing while working but not needing to wince for the noise when using the impact in tight spaces is nice. It seems like a small thing, but I’m always taking the muffs on/off during work so it was nice just to leave the protection in the full time.

Spent the day in our crawlspace making some shelving we’ve needed for a decade and those ear buds were perfect for moving between spaces. Made some modular 8’ ladder frames that I could get in there and then assembled in-situ. Just a simple two height shelf 24” wide and about 30 feet long.

We call it a crawlspace but it’s really a 50” tall cold paved space under half our split-level house. But it’s like having a really short storage unit in your house so that’s a win.

Also wish I’d get to making that 10’ x 3’ shop table soon. Building 8’ x 27” frames on a 8’ x 24” table was kinda annoying.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 27, 2022

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I took a pretty basic woodworking class at a local tool library and now I’ve got The Bug. In addition to learning a lot of the basics from the books in the OP, does anyone have any good books/blogs/listicles that are “good really easy but neat ‘babbys first projects” for inspiration?

I’m thinking like “a cup holder sleeve for your couch!” And things like that that will take an hour or two and let me build my chops and gently caress up in some low-stakes ways before I start going with “IM GOING TO MAKE CUTTING BOARDS FOR ALL MY FRIENDS”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SgtScruffy posted:

I took a pretty basic woodworking class at a local tool library and now I’ve got The Bug. In addition to learning a lot of the basics from the books in the OP, does anyone have any good books/blogs/listicles that are “good really easy but neat ‘babbys first projects” for inspiration?

I’m thinking like “a cup holder sleeve for your couch!” And things like that that will take an hour or two and let me build my chops and gently caress up in some low-stakes ways before I start going with “IM GOING TO MAKE CUTTING BOARDS FOR ALL MY FRIENDS”

I liked Vic Tessolins Minimalist Woodworker book as each chapter builds a small thing that you can use in the later chapters to build other things and teaches you kinds of joinery as you go. For example, building your own saw bench was pretty easy and set you up for something that you can use to work with much larger pieces of wood after if needed.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

SgtScruffy posted:

What tools do you have available to you? We talking a full suite of power tools? Hand tools only? A hammer and gumption?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SgtScruffy posted:

What do you actually want to make?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I looked around my house at cluttered areas and built stuff to organize them. Very first thing was a yoga mat holder with the fine screw n glue joinery and no finish at all

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

I started with outdoor furniture for our deck. I figured if it looked lovely it would just be "rustic charm." I surprised myself as they all came out pretty well.

Just take your time. When you don't have a lot of skills, everything is slow as you have to figure it all out. You get faster as you start to see repeated operations and how they fit together.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Looks like Norm is on youtube now
https://youtube.com/@newyankeeworkshop

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I might check out that "Minimalist Woodworker" book because I like the idea of something that spoon-feeds you projects to build your skills. I've done some shop furniture but have been generally frustrated at my inability to produce things that are square, and I don't know if that's a skill problem or a tool problem.

There are all sorts of cool stuff I might want to build someday (bed and side tables, storage cabinets, etc). But I'm nowhere near that point, and I get kind of discouraged trying to figure out how to get from where I am to something like Mister Dog's gorgeous nightstand. I keep trying to do stuff that involves cutting cross-laps with my dado stack and I can't seem to get either the depth or the width right on those. If I can't get that to work, I cant imagine me coming anywhere near doing a dovetail, for example.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

FISHMANPET posted:

I might check out that "Minimalist Woodworker" book because I like the idea of something that spoon-feeds you projects to build your skills. I've done some shop furniture but have been generally frustrated at my inability to produce things that are square, and I don't know if that's a skill problem or a tool problem.

There are all sorts of cool stuff I might want to build someday (bed and side tables, storage cabinets, etc). But I'm nowhere near that point, and I get kind of discouraged trying to figure out how to get from where I am to something like Mister Dog's gorgeous nightstand. I keep trying to do stuff that involves cutting cross-laps with my dado stack and I can't seem to get either the depth or the width right on those. If I can't get that to work, I cant imagine me coming anywhere near doing a dovetail, for example.

You working to a pencil line or a knife line?

Cross/half laps with power tools rely on test cuts and dimensionally similar scrap test pieces. Never go full send on your real work piece.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NomNomNom posted:

Never go full send on your real work piece.

I re-learned this lesson last week. Thankfully, it was a pretty cheap outdoor coffee table and pressure-treated lumber but I ran the entire table top across the table saw only to realize that I ruined it about halfway through the cut and had to rebuild a whole new tabletop.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah it's a hard lesson that I keep learning too. Usually because I'm too tight to mill and burn extra stock.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

NomNomNom posted:

You working to a pencil line or a knife line?

Cross/half laps with power tools rely on test cuts and dimensionally similar scrap test pieces. Never go full send on your real work piece.

This is one of the things that has got me more and more on hand tools. I've sneezed while using a router and destroyed a piece I was 99% of the way done with.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SgtScruffy posted:

My first project was a mahogany murphy bed, you can do anything you want in life

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

test cuts and dimensionally similar scrap test pieces.
This is very important with most any machine work. Even on handwork it's good to have a practice/layout/reference piece do make sure it's gonna work how you think. Always mill some extra scrap to the same dimensions as what you're working on to use as setup pieces. I usually cut tenons with a dado stack on the table saw and having some test pieces to creep up on 'just right' is really helpful.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
What 3d modeling software do people like?

Maybe we can add this to op I know it's come up before.

I tried getting sketch up it seems like the version of sketch up that's truly free is hard to get now?

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Tbh I started off not too many years ago knocking together furniture I needed (because I was too broke to buy nice stuff) using borrowed tools and poo poo lumber joined with nails and butt joints, with the shame hidden under cheap latex paint. And you know what? I still have a lot of that stuff. In fact, the aforementioned nightstand is at this moment sitting next to a bed I built out years ago out of 2x4s in a cabinet shop I rented time in.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

pseudanonymous posted:

What 3d modeling software do people like?

Maybe we can add this to op I know it's come up before.

I tried getting sketch up it seems like the version of sketch up that's truly free is hard to get now?

We have a CAD thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532&pagenumber=31&perpage=40

IMO I prefer Fusion 360 for my two uses: woodworking designs and 3d printing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah I have found fusion adequate for my needs and relatively easy to learn. I think if I did more flat/square stuff like cabinets sketch up might be easier/quicker to learn.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If you learn how to use the parametric features of fusion it's so much more powerful than sketchup. Tweaking dimensions becomes trivial.

Integration with CAM is nice if you have a cnc too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fusion is probably the right answer, if you can tolerate the interface, which I cannot. BlenderCAD is a shockingly okay parametric modeler if you're not designing a working engine or something on that order. Most of the really good ones are not free, or cheap.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'll plug TinkerCAD, it's extremely simple, free, and good enough to sanity check simple designs

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Sorry, I guess I didn't give a lot of information - thanks for the advice so far!

NomNomNom posted:

What tools do you have available to you? We talking a full suite of power tools? Hand tools only? A hammer and gumption?
Lots - I'm a member of a local Tool Library that has a wood shop I can reserve time for free - power tools, as well as things like a router, planer, table saw, mitre saw, etc. They also offer classes, and I've already taken a number of the "how to use the tools" classes but so far don't have much experience of just walking up to a mitre saw unsupervised and Just Doing My Thing Solo

Stultus Maximus posted:

What do you actually want to make?

Good question. My short-to-medium term idea is to make various geegaws for myself and potentially as gifts. In a book my wife got me, there's a pretty easy wall-mounted bottle opener with a magnet to catch the caps. Otherwise, my kinda vision is getting pretty decent at making cutting boards so that I'm The Friend Who Will Make You A Cutting Board For Your Birthday or something. I like the idea of "finding clutter around your house and Making poo poo To Make It Uncluttered", I'm just generally not creative in thinking of solutions so that's where interesting DIY inspiration book type stuff is what I'm looking for

Larger furniture is a bit intimidating for me, but not ruling it out. I took a class on making a coffee table that was basically a butcher block with hairpin legs drilled in, and that was cool, but even thinking about larger stuff like cabinets etc is "maybe I'll get there one I get enough practice"

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 28, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I started with Nick Offerman's book, Good Clean Fun. If you like him, his style of writing is much like how he speaks, and it has a dozen or so projects ranging from incredibly simple (a bottle opener) up to sort of nearly intermediate (a dining chair and a bed). Each project is based on something one of his workers at his woodshop regularly made, at the time of writing anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Am I the only person itt that uses a pencil and drafting scales to draw my designs? It's just so much quicker for me than a CAD program. Not that they're not useful, but I can crank out a full design, then mess with dimensions/angles, and then just measure the dimensions based on the drawing. All of which you can use a computer to do, but I don't have one in my garage.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I pencil draw everything first but I don't use any drafting tools to do so :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jhet posted:

Am I the only person itt that uses a pencil and drafting scales to draw my designs? It's just so much quicker for me than a CAD program. Not that they're not useful, but I can crank out a full design, then mess with dimensions/angles, and then just measure the dimensions based on the drawing. All of which you can use a computer to do, but I don't have one in my garage.

I mostly do extremely rudimentary/rough sketches with a pencil. I tend usually to do less "a = x.0 inches; b = y inches" stuff and more of the "a = the length of this board; b = the width of the other board; c^2 = a^2+b^2" kind of geometry. The sketches are usually just to figure out an initial cut list and my various constraints.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jhet posted:

I do everything pencil + paper. It's not that I'm averse to learning a cad program, it's that I can sketch out what I want to build in five minutes and then carry that easily with me, make notes on it in the garage, get out an eraser and "fix" the design when I accidentally rip a huge gouge out of the end of a board, etc.

I also don't do a ton of really complicated projects, though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I do everything pencil + paper. It's not that I'm averse to learning a cad program, it's that I can sketch out what I want to build in five minutes and then carry that easily with me, make notes on it in the garage, get out an eraser and "fix" the design when I accidentally rip a huge gouge out of the end of a board, etc.

I also don't do a ton of really complicated projects, though.

Yeah, there's definitely a time/place for CAD being really good to keep you on point, but I just find it easier to keep scales and graph paper. When most everything I make is just a version of a box, there's not a ton of extra stuff I need. But having learned technical drawing at a time when you did everything by hand and by computer it's just a lot faster to do on paper for me. Also, there's probably not anything I could conceivably make that would be more complicated than what I'd be better off drawing by hand.

I'm finally finishing the desk that I started 6 months ago, so the speed at which my projects move is slow anyway. But it's going to look pretty nice and I didn't completely mess anything up (just little screw ups that won't be visible).

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I started with Nick Offerman's book, Good Clean Fun. If you like him, his style of writing is much like how he speaks, and it has a dozen or so projects ranging from incredibly simple (a bottle opener) up to sort of nearly intermediate (a dining chair and a bed). Each project is based on something one of his workers at his woodshop regularly made, at the time of writing anyway.

Become a master woodworker in 4 easy steps with Nick Offerman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6H7Md_L2k&t=392s

I love that quick look of disgust Nick gives the interviewer when he sees that the joke went right over his head.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

I used to do all my drawings by hand, I really enjoyed it and would shade them and everything and they definitely sold furniture because they were really pretty. I never did a hand drawing for something and didn't get the job. I mostly do everything in Fusion360 now though, for a few reasons:

#1 is that changing a hand drawing or trying a variation on the design basically means a whole new drawing, where CAD lets me copy and alter without changing the original.

#2 is letting it do the math for me, and it does math better than I do. Once I learned the right order of operations in Fusion, it lets me basically spit out cut lists and drawings that make doing the actual work in the shop easy.

#3 was that I knew I planned to get into the CNC router world at some point, so might as well start learning the first steps to that now. Getting a 3d printer was a baby step in that direction and has been really useful for some odds and ends.

#4 is letting me solve all the problems, both aesthetic and technical, at my computer on free bytes instead of in the shop in expensive wood, with a clear head and an internet full of reference images at my fingertips. Fully modelling everything out in 3d down to the joinery makes the work in the shop so much easier and more efficient. When I walk in the shop with a clipboard full of dimensioned drawings for all the parts I don't get near as much choice paralysis and can just be an efficient little worker bee. My brain doesn't have to think about 'what does this component look like and how big should it be' it can just focus on 'how do I make this size and shape object out of wood efficiently.' The process of 3d modelling also helps me think through those operations-I usually draw a basically rectangular board and then cut bits off of it to model the joinery, which is basically what I am going to do when I build the thing. This was sort of a bonus that I didn't expect when I started doing stuff in CAD, but it has actually probably been the biggest benefit for my scatterbrained self.

#5 is the parametric modelling and being able to easily tweak designs. It's so stupidly easy to see how it would look if this taper was a little more aggressive, or this curve a little wider, or this apron a little chunkier and that's been hugely helpful in refining designs. This was another surprise I didn't really expect when I started CAD, but it has also become one of my favorite parts.

There's plenty of things where a quick sketch in the shop is all I need, and I still do plenty of full scale drawings on a sheet of plywood to sort through things, but CAD has definitely cut down on that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

We have a CAD thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532&pagenumber=31&perpage=40

IMO I prefer Fusion 360 for my two uses: woodworking designs and 3d printing.

Same. Fusion 360 is good.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

I love that quick look of disgust Nick gives the interviewer when he sees that the joke went right over his head.

I watched this before but I missed the host missing the joke the first time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jhet posted:

I've been doing CAD work for decades as a job, so it's just second nature to me compare to that long straight thing with markings every 1/16" of an inch and that pointy thing that makes an arc.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jhet posted:

if I'm just making some form of box sure, usually I don't bother. But you can get a lot more done with a couple of robots for shop assistants and they won't take a cut list you wrote on the back of an envelope, and most of the really fun designs involve moving subassemblies or complex geometry I can barely work out with computer assistance, if I could perfectly visualize how those fit together in a couple sketches without error I'd be talking about making working space shuttles in your garage or some poo poo instead.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 29, 2022

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SkunkDuster posted:

"and then you teach them to sand" is hilarious.

And doubly so because it's literally what I did. I made a corner shelf for my twins, but I made them sand it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

"and then you teach them to sand" is hilarious.

And doubly so because it's literally what I did. I made a corner shelf for my twins, but I made them sand it. :colbert:

My dad did that with my dresser when I was about ten. Put me off woodworking for about twenty years but I still have that dresser and it's still buttery smooth.