Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Less than two months until a new Theatrhythm.

2023 gonna be sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Question about Crisis Core plot - Am I misunderstanding something or did Genesis's batshit plan to cure his degradation by re-enacting a scene from LOVELESS actually work? He re-enacts the fight in front of the Goddess statue and then it seemingly cures him. I looked on the wiki, and this seems to have been the case?

Also, why did all those 2nd/3rd-class SOLDIERs desert with Genesis? Genesis's motive is straight-forward (curing his degradation + probably also disliking Shinra because of it), but why would all these other SOLDIER randos join? Maybe just personal loyalty to him as one of the "big three" First Class guys? It's also not clear to me if those SOLDIERs volunteered to be turned into Genesis clones (it's kind of weird if they did, but it's also weird if they didn't and the game still tries to redeem Genesis despite mutilating all these guys).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Ytlaya posted:

Question about Crisis Core plot - Am I misunderstanding something or did Genesis's batshit plan to cure his degradation by re-enacting a scene from LOVELESS actually work? He re-enacts the fight in front of the Goddess statue and then it seemingly cures him. I looked on the wiki, and this seems to have been the case?

Also, why did all those 2nd/3rd-class SOLDIERs desert with Genesis? Genesis's motive is straight-forward (curing his degradation + probably also disliking Shinra because of it), but why would all these other SOLDIER randos join? Maybe just personal loyalty to him as one of the "big three" First Class guys? It's also not clear to me if those SOLDIERs volunteered to be turned into Genesis clones (it's kind of weird if they did, but it's also weird if they didn't and the game still tries to redeem Genesis despite mutilating all these guys).

The alternative was having to hang out with Roche

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Twibbit posted:

The alternative was having to hang out with Roche

:hmmyes:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Why does Genesis commit suicide by Zack after he gets cured? Did they even have anything to fight about at that point?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

so who is the most fuckable cid

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Are we talking most attractive or most DTF?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Only a third or so of all Cids are even confirmed to have children, and I don't think any of them have more than one confirmed, or at minimum a Mid for a grandchild.

9Cid did at least cheat on his wife, so I guess he wins...?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

let's go with the former

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Cid Garlond (14) Though I would hate to get between the Hate between him and Nero.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fister Roboto posted:

Raines

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Twibbit posted:

Cid Garlond (14) Though I would hate to get between the Hate between him and Nero.

I dunno, is he smooth or not? Makes a big difference in his appeal. :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Agents are GO! posted:

Are we talking most attractive or most DTF?

Fister Roboto posted:

let's go with the former

The answer to both questions is Cid Pollendia.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Gid Garlond wins it for me, with Cid Raines and Cid XVI following behind.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

The answer to both questions is Cid Pollendia.

Was going to say this, just check out that amano art.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I already liked both Nioh games a lot but dang I'm surprised at just how good Stranger of Paradise feels. I've been rotating between all the jobs but pugilist/monk in particular are super satisfying and I really like how they've handled the magic classes (I'm only up to the first crystal though so I haven't unlocked the higher level jobs yet)

also jack is just incredible, I really hope we see him in dissidia or something someday

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

During my playthrough of Type-0 my only disappointment was that Jack didn't seem to be concerned about Chaos at all.

WoFF: OK, the story actually gets kinda good during literally Chapter 21 and the Postscript, but holy loving poo poo the Postscript is a huge pain in the loving rear end, it's like three times as long as the longest chapter and feels like it's longer than the whole game. I got real sick of it so I turned on infinite summon mode and 99 of all items. I don't feel nearly as bad about it as I did with 8, 9, and 10 (which I still plan on going through and beating legit).

I might do the alternate ending you apparently get if you complete all the Interventions and beat the boss, I guess, and I might also do NG+, but not for a long, long time.

Final Summary incoming.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, how the story of WoFF is handled and that it doesnt like, start, until chapter 21 of 22 is just another thing that doesnt work well

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

World of Final Fantasy: This is without a doubt my least favorite Final Fantasy. I adore the art style. The dialogue is great. I love the characters. When the story actually kicks in, it's really good. Unfortunately, the story only real kicks in in the very end. The battle system isn't nearly as deep as it could be. The advancement system is kind of annoying. Everything else about it is extremely meh. I don't really have much else to say. There's moments of brilliance held back by... everything. I was surprised that there was another pseudo-sibling and I actually didn't see the Knights being the parents coming at all.

Also goddamn these kids REALLY hosed the world up, didn't they lmao get wrekt kids.

I also had to jump through loving hoops to get it to work.

-Dragoon: While there wasn't a Dragoon (not even one from another game despite the myriad of other characters) the Bahamutian Soldiers wear dragon-y armor and have lance-like weapons. Count it!

-Cid: He's a robot who lives in a library and is super smart and helps you figure out how to defeat certain bosses. He's really happy that he doesn't have to sleep anymore so he can read more.

-Summons/Primals/Eikons: The traditional Summons are powerful Mirages the player can control. They're important to the story in helping Lefty and Righty remember their powers and stuff. The thing that acts as summons in other games is the Champion System which involves summoning a character from a different FF game who does a super-cool move that's an FMV and has a strong impact on the fight. I cheated like a motherfucker so I could spam them infinitely in Chapter 21 in the Postscript cuz gently caress grinding Mirages in this loving game. Alexander is The Big Bridge upon which you fight Greg.

-Tonberries:They run the Colosseum, one of them stole the Water key, and they're Mirages you can fight and keep.

-Chocobos: They're Mirages you can fight and keep. You can ride them, too.

-Moogles: Again, Mirages you can fight and keep. Faris has a crew of Moogle pirates, too.

-Final Boss: Exnine Bahamut. He's an armored man who's a torso sticking out of a giant dragon head. He looks cool, but again, the meh combat mars it and I also cheated lol

Biggs and Wedge: Not present in game but I guess they're mentioned in the notes you can find. I didn't read all the notes I found so I didn't see it.

Time to beat: Approx 21.5 hours, 23.7 on Steam but some of that was spent loving around to get it work.

Overall rating: :mediocre: I'd play it again, but not any time soon. I actually don't think I'll uninstall it so I don't have to loving play the regular story again to get the surprise from Enna Kros and also do NG+ whenever I decide to do it.

Up next: Mortal Kombat! I mean, Final Fantasy Dissidia NT. I know that the story is mostly cutscenes you unlock with coins you grind via regular matches, but I figure this will be relatively short and then I can move on to FFXV DLCs and the other direct sequels.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I already liked both Nioh games a lot but dang I'm surprised at just how good Stranger of Paradise feels. I've been rotating between all the jobs but pugilist/monk in particular are super satisfying and I really like how they've handled the magic classes (I'm only up to the first crystal though so I haven't unlocked the higher level jobs yet)

also jack is just incredible, I really hope we see him in dissidia or something someday

The monkey paw curls.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'll give WoFF this, when I saw Faris make a cameo I became a kid again. I love her pirate rear end and want her to make more appearances in modern games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Faris is a character who would become a lot more popular if they ever do give FFV a full blown remake.

She’s basically Tetra years before Wind Waker, but doesn’t become boring when she finds out she’s a princess.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Faris is a character who would become a lot more popular if they ever do give FFV a full blown remake.

She’s basically Tetra years before Wind Waker, but doesn’t become boring when she finds out she’s a princess.

She's also a version of Naoto from Persona 4 whose story doesn't become either disappointingly heteronormative at best or outright transphobic at worst. She'd be celebrated to this day if she first appeared in a game made in the 00s instead of the early 90s.

Genuinely, my favorite part of Faris' story is that the game more or less takes her side on the subject of gender, she's just allowed to be happy in the traditionally male role and presentation she loves rather than in any way criticized for it.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Al-Cid is rich, attractive, and dtf

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I dunno, is he smooth or not? Makes a big difference in his appeal. :v:

Thats a glow up

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I just finished FF1 PR last night and one of the NPCs in the final city you visit mentions Cid but something about it felt off.

Anyone know if he was actually mentioned in the original NES translation or was it put in during a later port as just an Easter egg?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Cid didnt exist in ff1 nes, i think he didnt exist until 3?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cid began in 2. The Cid in FF1 was added in the GBA remake I think then made explicit in Dissidia as the source of all FF1 problems.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Where is he in oh wait thats right he has the airship travel thing. Wow they nailed down that connection early

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does the version of FFV on Steam have Faris keep up the pirate "accent" after her secret's out?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Please don't play NT, that game is trash. Play Duodecim, that's the real Dissidia (it and the original game, but Duodecim includes the original game). It's also the one that actually has the plot.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Gologle posted:

Please don't play NT, that game is trash. Play Duodecim, that's the real Dissidia (it and the original game, but Duodecim includes the original game). It's also the one that actually has the plot.

Alas, it does not appear to be on PC

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gologle posted:

Seconded.

FrostyPox posted:

Alas, it does not appear to be on PC

It emulates perfectly in PPSSPP.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

(Doublepost)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dawgstar posted:

Does the version of FFV on Steam have Faris keep up the pirate "accent" after her secret's out?

The Steam version has the GBA translation, with no pirate accent at all.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If they made a new Final Fantasy fighting game that was even mediocre, I'd play the poo poo out of it, I love fighting games (and am bad at them).

I'll just skip Dissidia for now and move right on to FFXV DLCs.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s funny, I’ve played FF 15 to absolute completion multiple times, but never brought myself to touch the DLCs. They just seem like the antithesis of what I liked about the base game, which was the roaming around camping and road tripping and side questing. I couldn’t be less interested in a linear campaign that tells you what your party member was off doing with completely different game mechanics.

Are they considered good at all?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sorry, another quick FFVIIR question: the double AP bonus you get after beating the game is kind of hidden, right? By which I mean, when I kill an enemy and it says I got 3 AP, my materia actually gets 6, right? And something with AP Up would get 12?

Edit: apparently you get triple AP after you beat the game, which would explain why every AP amount I get is a multiple of 3. Okay, so I am getting the exact amount it shows but the one with AP up is getting double. Nvm

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 31, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

man nurse posted:

Are they considered good at all?

No idea if they're actually any good, I'm just kinda curious what they're like and I want to see how The Bros play since I don't think I ever unlocked the part of the skill tree that lets you do that in the main game and the short bits where you get to control them in the final dungeon were, well... short.

I, personally, am also kinda curious about the story bits, I have consistently enjoyed the story in all these games (except, ironically, FFXV. And WoFF)

EDIT: Also the DLCs other than Comrades are apparently only an hour or two each so I might as well.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Dissidia's neat and I think worth playing just for fun, but struggles by being just too weird to have a niche beyond 'FF crossover game' (which, of course, it's no longer alone in).

NT suffered worst from it, partly because the PSP installments were really single-player-focused portable fighting games, which didn't exactly exist but not for lack of audience since it's a ground paved by Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat (and honestly I miss the really robust single-player modes in some fighting games of that era). But it's also because its multiplayer approach just didn't work outside of its original context in arcades. 3v3 in short games is a nightmare for online play, because peer-to-peer doesn't scale well for that but dedicated servers also wouldn't make sense.