Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I still can't get over the Future Devil ep ED just being "here's the end of Part 1 for youthe future is great!". Anime-only folks are going to lose their minds in a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda wonder if Denji’s a vegetarian now? He probably still likes food a lot but I can see him just avoiding red meat at least pretty much forever. Or he just got over it completely, either or with him!

He still has to eat flesh and drink blood to heal whenever he's in a gnarly devil battle, so I don't think he'd be a vegetarian for long.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

You think anything would put Denji off of eating food?

I mean, there’s still every other not meat thing ever, and chicken and seafood, maybe not chicken breast though…

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/_snow118/status/1608803887879970820?s=46&t=KK1sASmDU0uyCSMDrlxaNw

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I still can't get over the Future Devil ep ED just being "here's the end of Part 1 for youthe future is great!". Anime-only folks are going to lose their minds in a couple years.

I didn't even think of it that way Holy poo poo :psyboom:

Figured I'd ask but does anyone know why they did a new ED for each episode? I don't think I've seen that done in an anime before. Honestly they were all so perfect I wouldn't be surprised if they genuinely couldn't decide on one.

Edit:

This rocks so hard

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

I didn't even think of it that way Holy poo poo :psyboom:

Figured I'd ask but does anyone know why they did a new ED for each episode? I don't think I've seen that done in an anime before. Honestly they were all so perfect I wouldn't be surprised if they genuinely couldn't decide on one.

The director said it was because Chainsaw Man is such a distinct manga that his take couldn't encapsulate everything people liked about it. Having different EDs for every episode let more people put their spin on it without losing the grounded, cinematic style for the core show.

It also meant not having to choose between a lot of big name artists who all wanted to do EDs, so that was even more of a win, since Mappa gets a cut of the money from all sales there, too. (And they're doing well, so that's looking more like an investment than anything.)

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Literally just thought of this, did Pochita kill the gun devil? It feels plausible offhand (who else is capable of killing the gun devil? At the same time, who else could possibly wound Pochita?) but I'm not sure of the timing.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I was under the impression that Chainsaw Man became Pochita during / after the fight against the Gun Devil + Horsemen.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, this is how I see the sequence of events:

The Chainsaw Devil and his allies fight the Horsemen and their allies/servants in Hell. This battle continues on Earth, resulting in the Gun Devil disaster, and the Chainsaw Devil being injured, reducing himself to Pochita, and Denji offering his blood to him. I imagine that part of the reason why the Gun Devil struck so many places, and its body was all over the place was because the battle between Chainsaw and his enemies was fast, vicious, and all over, even if it went mostly unseen. This series of battles in Hell and on Earth is also may have been when War was diminished.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Timing's off, the Gun Devil attack happened when Denji was 3.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

Timing's off, the Gun Devil attack happened when Denji was 3.

On the other hand, it happened when Aki was 9 at the oldest, and he looks closer to 12 in the flashback. And given how dangerous Chainsaw was, it's possible that Pochita pick more than a few more fights between taking down Gun and the present.

Given the evidence we have, old injuries from Gun seem the most likely explanation for Pochita's bullet wounds, but if so, and if there wasn't a time period when he was wandering around getting into fights between him and Gun and him meeting Denji, Denji was a really mature 3 year old. (Also, however old Denji was, points for self defense against a full grown adult when that young. He might not have been up to his expected reading level, but he was already killing at a high school level.)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
We actually have zero evidence that Pochita ever fought the Gun Devil. We know he fought the Horsemen, and we know he fought the Weapon Devils....but that's it. Those wounds could have been anything. Actual guns, something from War, crossbows that got pulled out. There is zero sign that the Gun Devil was anything other than a completely separate incident that only becomes relevant to the plot because Makima is taking steps to defend herself from it.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Edit: NVM

sube fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 2, 2023

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015271

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Asa’s new boyfriend is a bit of a doormat, but they are super cute when they’re having fun.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Denji: a good boy
Asa: fun, charming
This manga: the best

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gonna laugh if this plan just results on them falling in an endless void

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao these two

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... are devils allowed to enroll in college?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Shinjobi posted:

Lmao these two

i love them. their stealing montage is so cute

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

shout out to the guy freaking out on the glass pane on pg 1

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i didn't really expect the power parallels with asa. wonder if yoshida or yoru or someone else will end up being more of an aki analogue as part 2 continues.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I think Asa and Yoru share Power. They're both enormous hilarious dumbasses. Denji just can't comment because he's yet to meet Yoru. Yoshida... seems a bit distant to be Aki. Aki works because he's forced to house Denji and Power. Yoshida spends most of his time somewhere else entirely.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If the power is based on her perception I wonder if it was impossible for Asa to turn Denji into a weapon in the first place, because she doesn’t consider dating as “owning” him like Yoru would.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Supremezero posted:

I think Asa and Yoru share Power. They're both enormous hilarious dumbasses. Denji just can't comment because he's yet to meet Yoru. Yoshida... seems a bit distant to be Aki. Aki works because he's forced to house Denji and Power. Yoshida spends most of his time somewhere else entirely.

yoru kind of has the same manic drive for revenge that aki had, it's just against denji. but i agree if we do end up mirroring the main cast from the first part that it would be someone else.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Big Leg posted:

yoru kind of has the same manic drive for revenge that aki had, it's just against denji. but i agree if we do end up mirroring the main cast from the first part that it would be someone else.

Student council president maybe? If Aki didn’t have the drive to avenge his family I could totally see teenage Aki being a pretentious douchebag like that guy.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
1 million yen (7600 in today dollars) seems to low to buy an entire aquarium, but maybe it was different in the 90's.

That doesn't matter though, we need more pages of Asa and denji being cute and committing crimes together

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
What an incredibly loving stupid solution to the problem. I love it. CSM owns.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I mean this is so stupid it has to work. I hope this goes full Kingdom Hearts crazy and we're on a journey for the strongest Keyblade

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Asa's power is literally the friends she made along the way.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

1 million yen (7600 in today dollars) seems to low to buy an entire aquarium, but maybe it was different in the 90's.

That doesn't matter though, we need more pages of Asa and denji being cute and committing crimes together

Well, it's a real lovely aquarium where all the fish are dead and rotting. So that's gotta lower the value some.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Scallop Eyes posted:

maybe that's the point and Eternity Devil Mk. II's gonna reveal itself to yuck it up at how stupid Asa is before being torn to shreds

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you asked Asa (and Denji) how much an aquarium could cost they'd answer "uuuhhhh a million yen??" and that's enough, the only thing that matters is how Asa feels about it

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Not like the aquarium's owner is here to argue.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I loving love Chainsaw Man

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

All I wanted from this arc was for Asa and Denji to become friends and achieve greatness through maximum stupidity. Thank you Fujimoto. :worship:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also low-effort Photoshop

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

symbolic posted:

also low-effort Photoshop

Lol thank you.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Terper posted:

If you asked Asa (and Denji) how much an aquarium could cost they'd answer "uuuhhhh a million yen??" and that's enough, the only thing that matters is how Asa feels about it

This, but also:

TriffTshngo posted:

What an incredibly loving stupid solution to the problem. I love it. CSM owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Asa is an amazing character and what a hilarious idea