Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Agents are GO! posted:

Original Gameboy.

Red text on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I defeated Bahamut on FF7R PC on my first try, which is a relief because I was expecting it to go poorly since I kind of suck at this game. I never fought him on my first play-through because I didn't have the foresight to always have the Revive materia equipped (since it's impossible to get it reasonably maxed by the final Chadley otherwise).

I'm guessing it's a automatic loss if he completes his countdown? Fortunately I had a couple limit breaks available when he got down to 1.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Bahamut can be cheesed with the autorevive earrings if you're really desperate.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the only bastard fucker game in the kh series is re:com

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

358/2 is not great. Coded/re:coded also sucks poo poo. And tbh 1 has really really not aged well; to be honest it needs a remake to utilize kh2/3 controls to make it less of a poo poo chore to play.

Outside of that yeah all the rest are at the very least acceptable. Well maybe union sucks, never played it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
time for a change

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
this is the one

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vitamean posted:

NieR Occomata posted:

358/2 is not great. Coded/re:coded also sucks poo poo. And tbh 1 has really really not aged well; to be honest it needs a remake to utilize kh2/3 controls to make it less of a poo poo chore to play.

Outside of that yeah all the rest are at the very least acceptable. Well maybe union sucks, never played it.

drat, some truly cursed takes here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't remember the combat in KH2 other than slamming the button to attack a whole bunch and every time I see other people talk about it I feel jealous cause everyone else had a way more memorable game to play. Like the hell is a drive form? Dunno, beat that game without ever seeing one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How in the hell did you beat the game without obtaining a drive form even accidentally.

Isn’t the Valor Form literally tutorialized to you?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I beat KH1 and KH2 and I remember exactly three things about them:

I had a gummi ship, which ruled
I loving hate underwater parts of video games
Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas is scary as poo poo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Barudak's probably exaggerating or just forgetting things, but they are touching on a serious problem with KH2: the tools with which to make its combat system fun are obscured and out of the way. Yeah, you're told about Valor Form, but you're not told that Valor Form is the way you get High Jump. Same with Wisdom Form and Quick Run, Master Form and your general aerial capabilities, Final Form and Glide, and Limit Form and Dodge Roll. And of course, that last one's not worth bringing up if someone played it on the PS2, because Limit Form didn't exist then. Also all of those forms level up in completely different ways that aren't necessarily intuitive; yeah you're gonna level up Valor Form just by playing it, and Final Form keys off killing Nobodies which you're probably gonna do eventually just by chance, but none of the others level up in a way you're necessarily going to do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

How in the hell did you beat the game without obtaining a drive form even accidentally.

Isn’t the Valor Form literally tutorialized to you?

Looking it up you mandatorily get a few and I don't think I ever used them. Like Im reading the explanation of it and my brain is rejecting that any of this stuff was in the game because my memories don't have it.

Edit: Lmao it was specifically the learning of new moves through these which I didn't even know was a thing and would have focused on if I knew it existed so apparently its not an exclusive Barudak issue

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 2, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be honest even if you didn't know you could acquire the High Jump through using your drives its very strange you never attempted to use an obvious major mechanic of the game.

There's a big gauge underneath your health and everything. It's not exactly hidden

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'll be honest even if you didn't know you could acquire the High Jump through using your drives its very strange you never attempted to use an obvious major mechanic of the game.

There's a big gauge underneath your health and everything. It's not exactly hidden

I'll be honest, I have no explanation for why I didn't and KH2 is so unmemorable to me when I watched speed runs or whatever its like a whole new game when I see it. I have proof I finished it, but wow I don't remember that journey.

If I had to guess I probably fired up Valor form, saw you couldn't heal, then binned the whole mechanic assuming they all worked like that

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cleretic posted:

Barudak's probably exaggerating or just forgetting things, but they are touching on a serious problem with KH2: the tools with which to make its combat system fun are obscured and out of the way. Yeah, you're told about Valor Form, but you're not told that Valor Form is the way you get High Jump. Same with Wisdom Form and Quick Run, Master Form and your general aerial capabilities, Final Form and Glide, and Limit Form and Dodge Roll. And of course, that last one's not worth bringing up if someone played it on the PS2, because Limit Form didn't exist then. Also all of those forms level up in completely different ways that aren't necessarily intuitive; yeah you're gonna level up Valor Form just by playing it, and Final Form keys off killing Nobodies which you're probably gonna do eventually just by chance, but none of the others level up in a way you're necessarily going to do.

Master levels up off drive orbs (something you’re accumulating based off how a drive form is systematically played) wisdom levels up off heartless being killed which are both everywhere and also you’re typically using wisdom on huge groups of scrubs because magic is most effective then, and limit form is based off using limits…hence the name. They’re all pretty intuitive, this is a pretty disingenuous criticism.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Looking it up you mandatorily get a few and I don't think I ever used them. Like Im reading the explanation of it and my brain is rejecting that any of this stuff was in the game because my memories don't have it.

Edit: Lmao it was specifically the learning of new moves through these which I didn't even know was a thing and would have focused on if I knew it existed so apparently its not an exclusive Barudak issue

Barudak I'm going to be honest with you, from reading your posts in multiple threads, ignoring entire mechanics because you didn't immediately see all the benefits even though just engaging with them at all would be helpful and then lead to learning other parts of the game is kind of your playstyle for a lot of games.

You seem to make games just worse for yourself by not playing them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's wild what kind of info they just hide in pause menus these days

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

Master levels up off drive orbs (something you’re accumulating based off how a drive form is systematically played) wisdom levels up off heartless being killed which are both everywhere and also you’re typically using wisdom on huge groups of scrubs because magic is most effective then, and limit form is based off using limits…hence the name. They’re all pretty intuitive, this is a pretty disingenuous criticism.

I think it also just lists how to level each form in the Status Menu

E^ Yeah!

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Kh2s combat was fun, locking all the mobility behind drive levels made every world into the flattest most boring places thouhh. Only place where they allowed you to have fun exploring was the cavern of remembrance and even that wasn't great.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

It's wild what kind of info they just hide in pause menus these days

Shocking that engaging with a mechanic and reading destroys Cleretics point.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As a teen I enjoyed the combat and ending fights of KH2 so much I kept a save there and sometimes I would just load up the end of KH2 to play through the finale again with all its phases.

I wasn't even good at it, I had never beaten Sephiroth. I just liked it! Doing stuff like going into a rising attack or mixing magic into a combo was fun!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I was the exact same way when I first played KH2 back in 2006. I beat the final xemnas and the rest of the game without ever touching the forms, mostly I was getting by with Goofy’s Whirli-goofga. I had no idea about any of the drive form mechanics, like Drive forms restoring MP, exiting worlds during forms to save drive, or getting the movement abilities. I didn’t even know there was a final form until I talked to my middle school classmate.

Probably because of that, I disliked the game a lot and said a lot of the same complaints we’re seeing here. It wasn’t until I saw the speedruns/challenge stuff by good players + playing Final Mix on ps4 that I came around and actually explored what the mechanics and systems were, and then I understood why people enjoy KH2 so much.

So essentially

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Barudak I'm going to be honest with you, from reading your posts in multiple threads, ignoring entire mechanics because you didn't immediately see all the benefits even though just engaging with them at all would be helpful and then lead to learning other parts of the game is kind of your playstyle for a lot of games.

I agree with this, though I don’t think it’s just a Barudak issue (which I know you’re focusing on here). I think there’s a lot of times I see people not trying to engage with the systems of whatever game, misremembering how and what the game does, causing them to further dislike said game.

That’s not to say that you have to like something if you completely understand it. To give my own hottake to be fair here, I also don’t like KH re:Coded (or to give an FF example, uh, FF9?) despite me spending a lot of time and exploring everything I could. I just think it helps increases the chances of liking something, especially for the games with very different mechanics, like imo KH2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vitamean posted:

This, gently caress that game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't know you had to level the forms to get movement abilities

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NieR Occomata posted:

Man, I love Kingdom Hearts II but you’re seriously the first person I’ve ever seen defend Master Form as being intuitive to level, the form that levels by destroying objects in the environment or killing a handful of Heartless types (or using the Cavern of Remembrance exploit if you don’t hate yourself).

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I didn't know you had to level the forms to get movement abilities

Tbh KH2 is kind of bad about communicating things to the player in general, like there’s a lot of people who just never summoned more than once because they used the mediocre limits, burned through their summon gauge, without realizing the point for like 3/4 of them is to basically just be an infinitely better version of a party member if you just let them hang out and pull support. Myself included on my first Critical run! :v:

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 2, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did because it tells you in the game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I remember I really liked using the Final Form, but also never got it leveled up because I used it against bosses, so that 'level up by amount of Nobodies killed' didn't exactly tick up very often. That's kind of a problem with every form but Valor, honestly: if you're the type to save your resources for bosses, then you're not gonna be leveling most of them.

Oh yeah, and I just remembered they had that mechanic where you'd randomly turn into that terrible Heartless form that couldn't do reaction commands, with the chance going up the more you actually use the Drive system. So yeah, that's a great way to encourage people to engage with your game's core mechanic: to actively and arbitrarily punish them for trying to use it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Cleretic posted:

Oh yeah, and I just remembered they had that mechanic where you'd randomly turn into that terrible Heartless form that couldn't do reaction commands, with the chance going up the more you actually use the Drive system. So yeah, that's a great way to encourage people to engage with your game's core mechanic: to actively and arbitrarily punish them for trying to use it.

Tbf, the game has increased chances of antiform mostly (or only?) in boss rooms so if you only use forms on bosses, then that’s your problem there :v

Also going into final form actually reduces your chances of going into antiform + it should be impossible to get antiform if you attempt to go into final form, so once you get that you can just go ham.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I haven’t played KH2 in like 15 years but the one memory I still have of it is the obnoxiously long Roxas opening. I always stalled out before the end of that segment.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kingdom Hearts is dumb but so is being caremad that FF hasn’t been turn based since like, X.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

SoP is fantastic so far and Tiamat is just stomping me. I am not engaging with all the poo poo I am supposed to because this is the first actually difficult game I have ever played and I am overwhelmed on what to do when. It is stupid fun anyways and white mage in particular is a really well designed class.

So aside from actually knowing how to block vs dodge vs soulshield and all of that, any tips on beating Tiamat? My gear is appropriately leveled and I am willing to learn what I am doing wrong.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Oh God no, not real time action! Imagine having to move to an enemy and hit a button to attack them like Tales of Phantasia or Secret of Mana!

Secret of Mana seems like a bad example because its combat loving sucks

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cleretic posted:

Full remakes of every single Final Fantasy as the character action games they have decided everybody wants them to be.

Also Vivi will say 'gently caress'.

Hell yeah :hellyeah:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Procrastine posted:

Secret of Mana seems like a bad example because its combat loving sucks

The Trials of Mana remake owns tho

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

drat, some truly cursed takes here.

Yeah re:coded owns and has a cool leveling/difficulty mod system

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

fridge corn posted:

The Trials of Mana remake owns tho

You mean Twials of Mana

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

SoP is fantastic so far and Tiamat is just stomping me. I am not engaging with all the poo poo I am supposed to because this is the first actually difficult game I have ever played and I am overwhelmed on what to do when. It is stupid fun anyways and white mage in particular is a really well designed class.

So aside from actually knowing how to block vs dodge vs soulshield and all of that, any tips on beating Tiamat? My gear is appropriately leveled and I am willing to learn what I am doing wrong.

Tiamat’s just pretty tough in general. I felt like blasting her with magic helped a lot once you learn to read her tells and soul shield to immediately drain back your MP. Idk what your playstyle is though, I also felt like SoP was pretty tough and defaulted to magic on nearly every boss past a certain point.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

SoP is fantastic so far and Tiamat is just stomping me. I am not engaging with all the poo poo I am supposed to because this is the first actually difficult game I have ever played and I am overwhelmed on what to do when.

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1499384136070578182

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

NieR Occomata posted:

the gently caress is this poo poo

The username would lead me to believe it was a joke.