Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I could not possibly care less about finances when I’m buying Lego toys as a hobby. If I did, I wouldn’t be buying Lego in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Man, you lego posters are pretty aggro. Maybe you could take up a hobby that lets you unwind some of that stress, idk

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

moana posted:

Man, you lego posters are pretty aggro. Maybe you could take up a hobby that lets you unwind some of that stress, idk

If we wanted to talk about hobbies, we'd be posting in the hobbies subforum.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

So are they trying to kill this thread and move the discussion off-site, or what? Because this sucks.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Don't we all get here from the Control Panel anyway? What difference is it?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

boxen posted:

If we wanted to talk about hobbies, we'd be posting in the hobbies subforum.
Yeah, careful posting on the wrong side of the railroad tracks, it's pretty scary in other subforums. Don't worry, though, it's chill around here; we are all friendly happy posters who like to kick back and relax, chit chat about the latest I bond rates, you know.

What is y'alls favorite 3 in 1 sets? I got my husband the octopus/manta ray one for Christmas this year and my kiddo got the adorable sea turtle and dolphin one. Going for the marine animal theme since that's what she's studying in school.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

qcs isn't being used for anything, maybe this thread should be moved there. it would prevent smythe from being forums homeless

moana
Jun 18, 2005

First of May posted:

So are they trying to kill this thread and move the discussion off-site, or what? Because this sucks.
I think they're trying to have some fun and introduce goons to other places on this comedy website, but apparently hobbies are serious business. More so than actual business. Which is what we post about here in the business forum.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Voice of Labor posted:

qcs isn't being used for anything, maybe this thread should be moved there. it would prevent smythe from being forums homeless

Nah, we’re all better off with smythe being homeless.

moana posted:

I think they're trying to have some fun and introduce goons to other places on this comedy website, but apparently hobbies are serious business. More so than actual business. Which is what we post about here in the business forum.

I think it’s partly because it’s the second time in recent memory this thread has been moved to a completely different forum, and last time it really hosed with the thread’s discussions and vibe. Some people do legitimately come from places other than the Control Panel.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

moana posted:

I too very much enjoy the combination LOL SO RANDOM and ITS JUST A PRANK BRO combinations of humor.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

How about everyone builds something and post em?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

H110Hawk posted:

Welcome everyone to your new home in BFC! A new year calls for a new subforum don't you think?
No.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

moana posted:

Then let's take the weight loss mega thread and move it to the fast food forum, that has about equal crossover potential.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I strongly suggest folks read the bfc feedback thread linked in the post where I quoted Baddog. It is the origin of this lighthearted attempt at humor on a comedy forum. It is 100% of the story.

Enjoy your stay in BFC, it will be coming to a close at some point in the next 1-365 hours.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Attempt being the operative word.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Eh, enough of you aren't having fun with this that I'll see if I can figure out the buttons to send you back from my phone (new mod here).

Don't want you to feel like your thread was singled out intentionally. I'd actually been thinking about how many Legos we have in the house (and how much they cost) when the comment was made that the bfc house thread should go to DiY. So when I saw diy had an active Lego thread, it just kinda connected in my head and I made the joke.

Cross pollination shouldn't be such a terrible thing? I know I've eyeballed a few other interesting diy threads because of this.

I do appreciate the suggestions for some Lego furniture! I'd like to get that upcoming CNY set, but I gotta get the storage space sorted out first.

Edit, ok, got it done I think. Take care Lego bros. It is the best toy (and moneysink) ever. I do kinda wish they would stop putting a unique piece into almost every set lately though, seemingly to stop folks with large collections from just downloading the instructions?

Baddog fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 2, 2023

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

People probably wouldn't care if the joke was actually funny.

Well anyway, arbitrary moronic attempts at thread murder aside, I finally got around to finishing the used 10134 UCS Y-Wing that I got a while back. There are definitely some missing parts, but they're mainly in the display base. I knew the plaque & astromech were missing, but I only cared about the ship. And :drat: what a sick set. It looks way better in person than in any of the photos that I've seen. Old building instructions/techniques are so funny in 2023, the large engines are only connected to the body with technic pins and one single 2x2 tile (subbed for a plate) on top. But it looks great and that's all that matters for a display piece.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I chuckled. :colbert:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Here's our Nightmare Before Christmas scene I made with my daughter:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

People probably wouldn't care if the joke was actually funny.

Well anyway, arbitrary moronic attempts at thread murder aside, I finally got around to finishing the used 10134 UCS Y-Wing that I got a while back. There are definitely some missing parts, but they're mainly in the display base. I knew the plaque & astromech were missing, but I only cared about the ship. And :drat: what a sick set. It looks way better in person than in any of the photos that I've seen. Old building instructions/techniques are so funny in 2023, the large engines are only connected to the body with technic pins and one single 2x2 tile (subbed for a plate) on top. But it looks great and that's all that matters for a display piece.

I went with some ww2 colors

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

moana posted:

What is y'alls favorite 3 in 1 sets?
everyone likes to hoop and holler about their big old-style castles but i love this little new-style castle

though I did make a carrying mistake moving it across the house so it has since been rebuilt as the tower+trebuchet. I also love a trebuchet

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Does the trebuchet actually work? How big of things can you throw with it?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

I went with some ww2 colors

That's awesome! The colors totally fit the theme and add a solid pop to the model.

moana posted:

Here's our Nightmare Before Christmas scene I made with my daughter:

Dang this is adorable! Great Jack, the black brick leg extensions really help elevate the fig beyond a skeleton wearing black.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

a sexual elk posted:

How about everyone builds something and post em?

Well all I have out right now is 11022, and it has NO BROWN, but I tried:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

moana posted:

Does the trebuchet actually work? How big of things can you throw with it?

1x1 round bricks. It doesn't have a huge range because it releases them at the very top of the arc but it works.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

1x1 round bricks.
So, heads? Am I getting this right, Lego wants you to trebuchet heads across the room? This is going to be a great valentines day gift.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Well all I have out right now is 11022, and it has NO BROWN, but I tried:

:lol:

Edit:vvvvv yeah, I agree, bfc needs to see Prophet of Nixon's masterwork

moana fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 2, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Put us back in BFC, I wasn’t done arguing :colbert:

I did find a bunch of the new CMFs at Target and ended up with two Soccer Refs and a Robot Warrior that I don’t want. Anyone got an Orc, Marie Antoinette, or Falconer they want to trade? Or even the brown astronaut, though I assume everyone here is trying to army-build them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

moana posted:

So, heads? Am I getting this right, Lego wants you to trebuchet heads across the room? This is going to be a great valentines day gift.

Heads are wider though you could certainly use them it you wanted.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I bought myself one of those penguin sets that Target had half price last month, and built it and put it out as a Christmas decoration. The vast majority of my Christmas decorations are penguins. I have so many penguin dolls and stick them everywhere.

Come Christmas, my parents come over, and my mom gives me the exact same set as a gift lol

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

moana posted:

What is y'alls favorite 3 in 1 sets?

I have a gripe about these. Everything but the primary build tends to leave a lot more in leftover pieces, and as a result the alternate builds are smaller/less detailed than the primary one. It feels more like "1 + 2ish in 1" than "3 in 1".

Are there any where the nicer model to display is the b or c model in the set?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 2, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

moana posted:

Yeah, careful posting on the wrong side of the railroad tracks, it's pretty scary in other subforums. Don't worry, though, it's chill around here; we are all friendly happy posters who like to kick back and relax, chit chat about the latest I bond rates, you know.

What is y'alls favorite 3 in 1 sets? I got my husband the octopus/manta ray one for Christmas this year and my kiddo got the adorable sea turtle and dolphin one. Going for the marine animal theme since that's what she's studying in school.

I like the townhouse petshop/café. The tall bank alt build goes really well with the larger more expensive houses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man I thought something cool might of happened with all these new posts but it was just a bunch of people having meltdowns over a thread being moved for a few hours.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Take this thread on a tour of all the subforums imo, only move it to the next when someone makes a build themed for the current subforum.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Was over at my parent's house last night. My mom had mentioned a couple of times already that they still had my Lego train from when I was a kid.
My son, now 5, was very interested and tbh I wanted to see it in action again too.
So, we dig through some closets and we find the box:

Awesome, let's open it up and put everything together!

Oh....

Turns out most of the parts got mixed with my other Lego.

So I took everything home and dumped it on the floor. Now I get to sift through this pile to find all the pieces for the train. It's gonna be :krad: when I get it back together though.

The electronics look fine, except the wire for the light is busted. It's like 6€ to replace it, so once everything is back together I'll probably just buy it so my train has a working light too.

It's also pretty cool how many memories come back when sifting through a pile of Lego. Like: "oh this piece, I remember that, it's from set X".

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Most LEGO sets are vehicles, so I think Automotive Insanity is the ideal place for the thread.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Most LEGO sets are Star Wars, so I think The Sci-Fi Wifi is the ideal place for the thread.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Old Lego photography was just the fuckin' best. I miss those old catalogues so much.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

LEGO is the act of play, so I think Trad Games is the ideal place for the thread.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 2, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Infinitum posted:

LEGO is the act of play, so I think The Sci-Fi Wifi is the ideal place for the thread.

Honestly not the worst idea, though you'd end up with a lot of SPACE sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

GlenMR posted:

Old Lego photography was just the fuckin' best. I miss those old catalogues so much.

Yup, I also found the 1996 catalogue. I remember spending hours staring at all the various sets and elaborate backgrounds and stuff they had going on.

By the way, I feel like the instructions for those older sets are way less detailed than the newer sets. Still fairly obvious what's supposed to go where, but nowadays they really explain everything in great detail.