Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I haven’t played KH2 in like 15 years but the one memory I still have of it is the obnoxiously long Roxas opening. I always stalled out before the end of that segment.

My brain goes:
Roxas Opening -> [File Missing] -> Post Credits Stinger.

I know there was a games worth of story in there, I played through the whole thing with my cousins who loved Kingdom Hearts. We would talk about the plot and hypothesize but I'll be damned if I recall any of it but the Roxas opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cleretic posted:

Full remakes of every single Final Fantasy as the character action games they have decided everybody wants them to be.

It's me, I'm everybody.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

time for a change

kirbysuperstar posted:

this is the one

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

SoP is fantastic so far and Tiamat is just stomping me. I am not engaging with all the poo poo I am supposed to because this is the first actually difficult game I have ever played and I am overwhelmed on what to do when. It is stupid fun anyways and white mage in particular is a really well designed class.

So aside from actually knowing how to block vs dodge vs soulshield and all of that, any tips on beating Tiamat? My gear is appropriately leveled and I am willing to learn what I am doing wrong.

If Tiamat says "gently caress you" don't let it get to you.

Those three buttons do different things. You have to do the right one based on the tell like an elaborate Simon Says. There is some leeway or overlap. The game gets much easier after this fight if you rush to Sage and Ultima.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can you raise difficulty before finishing the game in SoP? Because if so for Tiamat

1) Learn when to do each guard appropriately. Tiamat is, without a doubt to me, the toughest main story boss in the game. You will need to learn the guards and how to turn MP into big damage because they dont give you a lot of downtime
2) Grind out Sage + Ultima which is basically Jack's "I'd like to win now" button
3) Assuming my question above is "yes" --- Raise the difficulty, loot some gear, quit the map, repeat until you are vastly overleveled.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Roxas part owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

My brain goes:
Roxas Opening -> [File Missing] -> Post Credits Stinger.

I know there was a games worth of story in there, I played through the whole thing with my cousins who loved Kingdom Hearts. We would talk about the plot and hypothesize but I'll be damned if I recall any of it but the Roxas opening.

You're lying if you say you don't remember the bit where Goofy 'died'

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FireWorksWell posted:

You mean Twials of Mana

:mrwhite:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Roxas part is like actually kind of good story wise compared to the rest of KH.

Long as I keep getting quality combat though I'll keep buying. 3 was ehhhh on release but the improvements and addition of Critical and the DLC made an insane difference

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Tiamat has a move, I think it is called breathe, where you can get underneath and get a few hits in.

In general be conservatives and look for openings. There are a couple others where they put their heads down after an attack and you do huge damage to each head. Learn to do a charge attack then. Otherwise keep a medium distance and always be strafing.

It is worth mentioning I only use circle, never L1. This has messed me up a bit in endgame, but you can absolutely rely on soul shield. It helped I played a good amount of Nioh.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I figured out what the announcement will be:

SOP for everyone!

Next up is Stranger Of Palamecia: Final Fantasy Origins II, featuring Jack Mateus on his quest to kill Hell.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tiamat’s HP regeneration in the second phase doesn’t mean poo poo if you focus on the break meter.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Kheldarn posted:

SOP for everyone!

Next up is Stranger Of Palamecia: Final Fantasy Origins II, featuring Jack Mateus on his quest to kill Hell.

You and I BOTH know his name will be David.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The trick to Tiamat is it’s actually a grind fight and the best way to win it is to run a white mage or someone with white mage abilities and spam curaga like loving crazy, and make sure your teammates constantly whittle her down. Just keep focusing on her break meter over and over and over again and eventually you hit a point where she heals like literally 10% of her health. Also, she gets easier the longer the fight goes because of losing her heads. Your secondary job should be one that has access to bladed weapons, katanas are best because you can hit like every one of her heads with a swing and that builds break.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kheldarn posted:

SOP for everyone!

I think that's Mateus in Different Future... you may be on to something

Is anyone else excited that Jack Garland gets a gun

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I remember fighting Tiamat as a black mage and dragoon, and maybe again later as either breaker or something else with big sword swings. Being able to hit all the heads at once when she did her beam attacks went a real real long way towards quickly breaking her stagger. Jump and I think ice magic did wonderful work in that first encounter. This was, of course, after failing a few times and finally learning the timings on her attacks, once you can dodge or absorb them then it just becomes a battle of attrition and being able to exploit as many opportunities as possible makes the fight go a lot more quickly.

That fight was definitely a SoP learning point though, most fights in the game where much easier after grasping that fight.

There's a ton of cool stuff you can do in SoP with various different builds and setups but I think, at least until the post end game where numbers go nutty, I got real comfortable countering and evading just about everything with jump. It's too good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was having trouble finishing Tiamat my first attempt as a dragoon because the lance attacks are pretty slow, so I switched to monk on my second try and played super aggressive and I'm not sure if it even got a chance to regenerate

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Full remakes of every single Final Fantasy as the character action games they have decided everybody wants them to be.

Also Vivi will say 'gently caress'.

Vivi lifts up his hood, and he is a heavily scarred and unshaven man with a deep growly voice (the voice changes after he removes the hood).

RevolverDivider posted:

The Roxas part is like actually kind of good story wise compared to the rest of KH.

Long as I keep getting quality combat though I'll keep buying. 3 was ehhhh on release but the improvements and addition of Critical and the DLC made an insane difference

I only remember the Roxas opening because I only played the first half or so of the game. I remember it solely because the girl I had a crush on in college invited me over to her dorm to play it (she was not interested in me, but she did get me a summer job sophomore year when I probably couldn't have found anything decent otherwise).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 2, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
One more tip for SoP, dodging immediately after soul shield makes you invincible for a good duration, so you can use that to escape from any follow ups if your break gauge is low

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FF15 is one of the best Final Fantasys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ut5j57nLaw

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you want to really cheese SoP Tiamat grind out Void Knight and absorb all her beams with your magic absorb stance. It can absorb all of her moves and also leaves you charged up to beat the poo poo out of her when she's open.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The KHII is only pressing triangle joke died when Final Mix came out and they actually turned it into an incredible game. Even though it took ages for it to come out overseas, it was worth the wait. I modded a PS2 to play it in Japanese like the weeb I was at age 24 or whatever.

I really like KHIII, playing it on critical with attractions turned off was awesome. But it might not even be in the top 3 games in the series though!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No other game in the series has Woody from Toy Story tell Xehanort nobody ever loved him so it is absolutely in the top 3.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Otoh no final fantasy characters so automatic 0/10 like what are you even doing anymore

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

man nurse posted:

Otoh no final fantasy characters so automatic 0/10 like what are you even doing anymore

They’re in the DLC!!!

Woody telling Young Xehanort, “Whatever it is you’re talking about, I don’t care” was one of the best moments in the series. Along with the how Sully and Mike beat Vanitas in Monsters Inc. world. I would rate it third in the series but idk if that’s a popular opinion.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

That just reminds me that the villains never really felt like a threat in 3. Either they're passively hanging around or they're easily dealt with. Vanitas is taken care of by being shoved through door after door by Sulley, but...corridors of darkness?

And then suddenly they win because the heroes were suddenly completely incompetent when the battle finally starts. Just one org member was all they needed

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FireWorksWell posted:

That just reminds me that the villains never really felt like a threat in 3. Either they're passively hanging around or they're easily dealt with. Vanitas is taken care of by being shoved through door after door by Sulley, but...corridors of darkness?

And then suddenly they win because the heroes were suddenly completely incompetent when the battle finally starts. Just one org member was all they needed

I'm not sure most of the non-Disney villains in 2 felt like threats, either. Xaldin hosed with the Beast, but other than that I don't really recall them actually doing anything? Sure, they throw down at The World That Never Was, but at that point Sora and co. are just trespassing. The Master Control Program felt more antagonistic.

...also on thinking about it I'm not sure why The World That Never Was was special enough to earn that name beyond being where the Organization were hanging out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

man nurse posted:

All the anime boys the game is about are final fantasy characters.

FireWorksWell posted:

Every single bad guy that isn't Old Man Xehanort Vanitas or Xigbar are just loving tired. they know they're wrong, they know their world view is wrong, they know they can't beat Sora and Friends and all kind of actually like the kids now, but they're stuck by their decisions and Master Nort's sheer will power in this stupid plan. It rules.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They’re in the DLC!!!

Woody telling Young Xehanort, “Whatever it is you’re talking about, I don’t care” was one of the best moments in the series. Along with the how Sully and Mike beat Vanitas in Monsters Inc. world. I would rate it third in the series but idk if that’s a popular opinion.

Yeetus Vanitas is a top moment for sure.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FFXIII-2: Killed a giant robot, killed a giant tomato slime (giant tomato slime took FOR-loving-EVER but never came close to seriously hurting my dudes).

So far: Serah and Noel leap from future to future, putting things right that will go wrong and hoping each time that their next leap, will be the leap to Lightning

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Actually I think all the OCs in KH are owned by Disney, but I could be misremembering.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I got that big PS4 KH collection, are all the games on it the latest-and-greatest versions? The KH3 specifically says it doesn't come with the DLC, is that worth picking up?

e: also what friggin order do I play these in lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gologle posted:

Actually I think all the OCs in KH are owned by Disney, but I could be misremembering.

They are!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I got that big PS4 KH collection, are all the games on it the latest-and-greatest versions? The KH3 specifically says it doesn't come with the DLC, is that worth picking up?

e: also what friggin order do I play these in lol

Release order. Come join us if you wanna chat!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878550

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just returned to my KHIIFM run I was working on last year and found myself on Xaldin and I have no idea how to play anymore

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

FFXIII-2: Killed a giant robot, killed a giant tomato slime (giant tomato slime took FOR-loving-EVER but never came close to seriously hurting my dudes).

So far: Serah and Noel leap from future to future, putting things right that will go wrong and hoping each time that their next leap, will be the leap to Lightning

How could you not mention running into Snow again with his awesome new look?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't really care what media is being consumed but it should always be done in release order.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SettingSun posted:

I don't really care what media is being consumed but it should always be done in release order.

Exceptions include Star Trek TNG, Doctor Who, and Final Fantasy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I strongly disagree, but I understand your rationale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SettingSun posted:

But Persona started with 3 on the PS2.

Barudak posted:

I strongly disagree, but I understand your rationale

More seriously, it is a confusing situation. Because if somebody starts with Persona 5 or something, they might be all like "ugh, I can't play these older games. They're so primitive." And you know, they're kinda right. Can I really say "no no, you HAVE to play this not as good game first because otherwise you can never truly appreciate it!" Note: I don't even really like P5 but mechanically there's no denying it's way better than 3 or heaven forbid 2. So I'm always conflicted when I say "you gotta play this game. Oh it's not very fun but you gotta play it."

I'm not a big Pokemon fan but I imagine that is even more of a problem. With Persona you can be like "well, tha story makes up for the gameplay." But if somebody starts with the latest Pokemon game, it seems inevitable Red/Blue will be hard sell. Certainly a harder sell than if they started with Gen 1 and had no expectations of gameplay mechanics or a plot.