Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Same here. I’ve been coming to this place for 18 years, I’ve met up with several folks in real life, and this forum has done wonders for my cooking, which my friends and family have benefitted from. This sub has really evolved over the years and I love where it’s settle the last few.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to all!

Amen! Agree 100%.

DekeThornton posted:

To me it semes like a nordic/baltic thing. I always thoght the association between pickled fish and jewish food in the US was because a large portion of Jewish immigrants came from baltic coast nations.

Yep, me too. Or even more broadly central/Eastern Europe too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Looks like I have a propane outdoor flat-top grill, now. Smashburgers are gonna be big in 2023.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You're all cool people and I hope you had a great holiday season that rolls right into a fantastic 2023.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://youtu.be/bqZVihpOACE

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just made a vegetarian cassoulet with Beyond sausages and good Spanish beans, served with
mustard mash potatoes (the mustard was my son’s idea) and leftover braised red cabbage. I’ve made it a couple of times before but I absolutely nailed it tonight. It was DELICIOUS, and tremendously satisfying. (Hearty comfort food is my strength).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Got a recipe? That sounds dope. I love cassoulet

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hawkperson posted:

Got a recipe? That sounds dope. I love cassoulet

Sure! I made it up so quantities are guesswork.
I sweated some onions and shallots (I happened to have some shallots).
Deglazed with some balsamic vinegar
Added 3 small cloves of garlic, cooked for a couple of minutes.
Added sliced carrots, a bit of water, large tsp stock, thyme and rosemary. Oh, and a teaspoon of yeast extract (like Marmite), and S&P.
I separately cooked white beans with some garlic cloves, a couple of bay leaves and salt. (I had soaked them for most of the day then pressure cooked).
After the carrots had cooked for a while and the beans were done I added the beans and a bit of their cooking liquor to the onion/carrot mix then let that simmer away for a bit.
Pan fried the Beyond sausages until cooked and browned and a bit crispy.
Sliced them quite thinly then added them to the beans with a bit of the pan juices. (Adding them earlier I found overwhelms everything with sausage flavour).
Cook for five minutes to let everything mingle.

The mustard mash worked very well (I’ve done horseradish mash with it too which is also good), as did the sweet/sharp braised cabbage.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

New post to remind/inform everyone that we have a (very active) discord server for those who prefer to chat in real time: https://discord.gg/BrMWseM8US

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
the discord is very fun. come annoy me with your wack cocktails in REAL TIME

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

therattle posted:

I sometimes drink the leftover beetroot pickling brine straight from the jar when the delicious, delicious beetroot is finished - “like a Lithuanian peasant”, as my wife says. (My mother’s family were from Lithuania). To be fair, she drinks it too. Even as a kid I loved pickled cucumbers, and apparently when we had them I’d walk around stinking of pickled onions. I’d never thought that was a particularly Jewish thing though

DekeThornton posted:

To me it semes like a nordic/baltic thing. I always thoght the association between pickled fish and jewish food in the US was because a large portion of Jewish immigrants came from baltic coast nations.

my dad is of norwegian and jewish descent and he drinks beetroot vinegar to this very day. i have also been told that my beetroot habits are extremely litvak. sometimes this forum reminds me that i have never had an original experience, ever

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

w4ddl3d33 posted:

my dad is of norwegian and jewish descent and he drinks beetroot vinegar to this very day. i have also been told that my beetroot habits are extremely litvak. sometimes this forum reminds me that i have never had an original experience, ever

True. On the other hand, “ my beetroot habits are extremely litvak” is quite a funny thing to read.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7177150346781822254

Huh supposedly Brussels sprouts used to taste good, then they switched to a bad tasting cultivar for easier mechanical harvesting, then they bred the better tasting ones in the 90’s that we all know and love now

Somebody fix tomatoes next

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Have you literally never seen a seed catalog. There are roughly nineteen billion cultivars of tomato out there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I want them mass produced in high quality in my grocery for cheap

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Right, but the main issue is making the good tasting ones also tick off all the mass market requirements - easy and durable to transport, ripen on demand, cheap, look appealing to customers.

I think OP is not saying "make a tomato taste good" but instead "make the grocery stores replace the bland ones with the good ones"

E: F;b

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Do your local grocers' really not have multiple kinds of tomatoes? I thought even chain grocery stores started selling multiple varieties of "heirloom tomatoes" like years ago.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Do your local grocers' really not have multiple kinds of tomatoes? I thought even chain grocery stores started selling multiple varieties of "heirloom tomatoes" like years ago.

For highway robbery prices

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Steve Yun posted:

Somebody fix tomatoes next

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10222093-tomatoland

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feels like at the chain grocery stores the beefsteaks are usually the safest best.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

For highway robbery prices
Eh.

I mean yeah, it would be nice if everything was better and less expensive, sure. But as far as availability of fresh produce goes, I feel like it's a lot easier to get a decent tomato from the average grocery store than, say, any kind of garlic that isn't silverskin, or any kind of yellow onion that's not one of the current Vidalia/Grano/Granex cultivars.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

SubG posted:

I don't remember the last time I saw an heirloom tomato at the grocery store that wasn't already bruised and rotting. They definitely have them, but at least here they're always trashed.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

SubG posted:

Eh.

I mean yeah, it would be nice if everything was better and less expensive, sure. But as far as availability of fresh produce goes, I feel like it's a lot easier to get a decent tomato from the average grocery store than, say, any kind of garlic that isn't silverskin, or any kind of yellow onion that's not one of the current Vidalia/Grano/Granex cultivars.

For real. Its hard to find alliums that are any good in supermarket produce sections. I’d say carrots and celery are in an equally depressing place as far as “range of quality available at a standard grocer” goes for that matter. Even when they’re locally available and seasonal they don’t get any better.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

SubG posted:

i live in the uk, my only choices are watery or small

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Sextro posted:

For real. Its hard to find alliums that are any good in supermarket produce sections. I’d say carrots and celery are in an equally depressing place as far as “range of quality available at a standard grocer” goes for that matter. Even when they’re locally available and seasonal they don’t get any better.

i have significantly better luck when i buy chantenay carrots

recently i've noticed a MASSIVE drop in the quality of shallots. i always pickle small shallots rather than pearl onions because the flavour is better, but as of late it's just a whole lot of nothing

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i have significantly better luck when i buy chantenay carrots

recently i've noticed a MASSIVE drop in the quality of shallots. i always pickle small shallots rather than pearl onions because the flavour is better, but as of late it's just a whole lot of nothing

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i live in the uk, my only choices are watery or small

Small tomatoes are great for those of us living in tomato deserts (Sweden). At least they taste of something and are available for more than a few weeks a year.

Edit: We get good carrots though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just found four small black things in the cauliflower I am prepping. They looked suspicious. Then I found the slug that had been making them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is the slug ok?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mystes posted:

Is the slug ok?

I assume it's gone to a garden somewhere upstate to recover from this assalt.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It’s ok! It’s been put in the food waste bin.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i once had a beetle crawl out of a portobello mushroom that i had already began to eat.

to this very day i prefer smaller mushrooms. who can say whether or not that's because less bugs can fit into them?

DekeThornton posted:

Small tomatoes are great for those of us living in tomato deserts (Sweden). At least they taste of something and are available for more than a few weeks a year.

Edit: We get good carrots though.

you also get hjorton, you lucky bastards! berry season is very much over here so i've been mourning it by eating way too many artificially ripened supermarket cherries

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Which is what happens when you forget your beetroot wine in the cellar. Which I have unironically seen after thinking for decades it was just a bad joke. My aunt's mother apparently had amassed a fair amount of it in her cellar which we discovered when we celebrated Christmas at the farm she inherited from her. No one dared open a bottle to check, I reckon we weren't desperate enough for booze. My guess is she learned to make it during the war when all sugars were strictly rationed and the potatoes that weren't confiscated by the occupants were for eating.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

We had a maniac of a friend in college that made Beet Beer and you better believe that was the punishment drink for any drinking game we played. I like beets but the combination of alcohol, sugar, and beets was just awful

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

For over a decade now I've been tempting myself with the idea of brewing a caramelized onion beer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I still think it has maybe a 10% chance of being really good and a 90% chance of being vomit inducing

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Sort of a cross post from the St Louis thread but apparently Kenji really likes St Louis style pizza for some bizarre reason. I'm honestly perplexed

https://www.seriouseats.com/in-defense-of-st-louis-style-pizza

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maybe I shouldn't have figured out how easy it is to whip up cinnamon buns. The batches are coming faster and closer together

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Kenji really likes St Louis style pizza for some bizarre reason.

It’s because it tastes good OP. hth

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Sort of a cross post from the St Louis thread but apparently Kenji really likes St Louis style pizza for some bizarre reason. I'm honestly perplexed

https://www.seriouseats.com/in-defense-of-st-louis-style-pizza

I like his analogy to nachos. I lived in stl for a bit and got Imo's exactly once - an extra large I split w/ my gf at the time. We ate the whole thing and were like "ok now what do we eat we're still hungry." I love thin crust pizza but I just can't get behind Imo's.

Not long after that we moved within walking distance to Pi, so we could satisfy both thin and deep dish cravings at once (they both rule btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Brawnfire posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have figured out how easy it is to whip up cinnamon buns. The batches are coming faster and closer together

the same but for chocolate butter mochi