Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The thing about why you should never play older Persona games is that 1 is one of the worst games I’ve ever played, 2 is almost impossible to play legitimately in any way shape or form (and is also a completely different game than what the series becomes), 3 is largely boring with weak characters and a story that only really happens in its final act of like 100 hours of playtime and it also has no “definitive” version since each version of P3 has some sort of high point (base 3: no the answer, FES: better compendium and mechanical fixes, 3P: feMC, controllable party members, skill inheritance cards, some of the added events are ok) and some sort of drastically low one (3: is a mechanical mess to play, FES: has the answer, 3P: has the answer, eliminates all animated sequences which have some of the most dramatically impactful moments in the series).

4 and 5 are still fantastic, but even in either’s case G/Royal are the unequivocal best versions and there’s literally no reason to play the base game because their upgraded versions are just objectively better. Especially in Royal’s case, it’s practically a different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Persona 3's team members gets more character writing and depth than any of the P4/P5 cast.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

NieR Occomata posted:

The thing about why you should never play older Persona games is that 1 is one of the worst games I’ve ever played, 2 is almost impossible to play legitimately in any way shape or form (and is also a completely different game than what the series becomes), 3 is largely boring with weak characters and a story that only really happens in its final act of like 100 hours of playtime and it also has no “definitive” version since each version of P3 has some sort of high point (base 3: no the answer, FES: better compendium and mechanical fixes, 3P: feMC, controllable party members, skill inheritance cards, some of the added events are ok) and some sort of drastically low one (3: is a mechanical mess to play, FES: has the answer, 3P: has the answer, eliminates all animated sequences which have some of the most dramatically impactful moments in the series).

4 and 5 are still fantastic, but even in either’s case G/Royal are the unequivocal best versions and there’s literally no reason to play the base game because their upgraded versions are just objectively better. Especially in Royal’s case, it’s practically a different game.

this is deranged since you can just not play The Answer

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just finished the PC FF7R, which is actually the first time I completely finished it, since I got to right before the final fight on the PS4 without finishing it.

I think I have some idea where it's going, and if so it's pretty interesting. I think that through cutting off the world from the "strands of fate/memories" it'll cause pretty big problems for Cloud, since Cloud's whole identity is basically composed of the memories of various people (and primarily Zack). I think the scene with Zack at the end is indicating that, through their actions here, Zack's influence on Cloud (which he heavily relies on as a source for his personal strength/will) will basically be removed (since in this new world Zack never died and never "imprinted" himself on Cloud in that manner). I think this better explains the really obvious negative/bittersweet tone to the scene showing Zack survived, which would otherwise seem like a really good/hopeful thing (and it's immediately followed by Aerith saying that she "hates the sky" - basically the scene of Zack is interposed with Aerith expressing fear/sorrow at being cut off from fate). It also explains stuff like the scene where Sephiroth knocks away Cloud's Buster Sword (which can symbolically mean cutting him off from his connection to Zack).

So in the future games there might be some sort of arc/theme of Cloud needing to rebuild himself without the help of these memories of people who have influenced him in the past.

edit: The one thing I'm not totally clear on, though I think I probably understand it, is what the deal with the various Sephiroths was. If I'm understanding correctly, pretty much all Sephiroth appearances until the very end of the game (the Sephiroth who offers his hand to Cloud and uses "ore" in speech) are Jenova. It also seems like Jenova is removed from the picture as of the end of this game (since she had "infected" the lifestream due to the events in Nibelheim when Sephiroth fell into the lifestream holding her head). That being said, I feel like the real Sephiroth had to have had some hand in influencing events to occur as they did (since his goal was obviously to cut off the world from the Jenova-infected lifestream and thus liberate himself in the process), but it's not clear to me how that happened.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 3, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ytlaya posted:

I just finished the PC FF7R, which is actually the first time I completely finished it, since I got to right before the final fight on the PS4 without finishing it.

I think I have some idea where it's going, and if so it's pretty interesting. I think that through cutting off the world from the "strands of fate/memories" it'll cause pretty big problems for Cloud, since Cloud's whole identity is basically composed of the memories of various people (and primarily Zack). I think the scene with Zack at the end is indicating that, through their actions here, Zack's influence on Cloud (which he heavily relies on as a source for his personal strength/will) will basically be removed (since in this new world Zack never died and never "imprinted" himself on Cloud in that manner). I think this better explains the really obvious negative/bittersweet tone to the scene showing Zack survived, which would otherwise seem like a really good/hopeful thing (and it's immediately followed by Aerith saying that she "hates the sky" - basically the scene of Zack is interposed with Aerith expressing fear/sorrow at being cut off from fate). It also explains stuff like the scene where Sephiroth knocks away Cloud's Buster Sword (which can symbolically mean cutting him off from his connection to Zack).

So in the future games there might be some sort of arc/theme of Cloud needing to rebuild himself without the help of these memories of people who have influenced him in the past.

edit: The one thing I'm not totally clear on, though I think I probably understand it, is what the deal with the various Sephiroths was. If I'm understanding correctly, pretty much all Sephiroth appearances until the very end of the game (the Sephiroth who offers his hand to Cloud and uses "ore" in speech) are Jenova. It also seems like Jenova is removed from the picture as of the end of this game (since she had "infected" the lifestream due to the events in Nibelheim when Sephiroth fell into the lifestream holding her head). That being said, I feel like the real Sephiroth had to have had some hand in influencing events to occur as they did (since his goal was obviously to cut off the world from the Jenova-infected lifestream and thus liberate himself in the process), but it's not clear to me how that happened.

In the scene you referenced in the ending, the one where Zack survives, it’s supposed to be an alternate reality/timeline based on the little flyer or whatever of Stamp where he’s a yorkie instead of a beagle or whatever. So Zack is still dead in their timeline but there’s an alternate one where he survived and it seems like they might be interacting? I thought the big takeaway from the ending was that they overcame the whispers who represented fate and/or the expectations the producers had to contend with, so literally anything could happen going forward. Aerith could live. Who even knows at this point? And that’s super exciting!

As for the cloaked guys with the number tattoos, I can’t remember if they turned into Jenova monsters/Sephiroth in the original game but that conceit was the crux of the plot of Advent Children. It’s tough to tell if they actually encountered the real Sephiroth in FFVIIR. I look forward to that being explained in the future installments.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

did you know they added more to the ending in intergrade? just found out today

wild stuff

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Vitamean posted:

did you know they added more to the ending in intergrade? just found out today

wild stuff

I just started Intergrade and playing as Yuffie is very fun. Is it like a KH thing where you have to beat all of the insane super bosses to unlock the extra ending stuff?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No. The end of intergrade has stuff for the main game, speaking vaguely here.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I looked it up because I wasn't planning on replaying remake til we got closer to a confirmed release date for rebirth but it did change some of my thoughts on the original ending

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cool, I’m even more excited about playing it! Approximately how long does it take, not counting the optional super bosses?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's like three or four hours, not counting Fort Condor.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did the Fort Condor tutorial, it seemed like it might be fun. I’ll do that side quest.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fort condor is extremely good. And the sidequest is worth it.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Random one but does anyone have a high-quality version of this

that isn't cropped on the edges? I want to try my hand at some pixel-stuff but every other version of the above I could find is a blurry mess.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thinking of grabbing one of the pixel remasters to play on my deck either 4, 5, or 6. I haven't played 6 since the SNES days but I have very fond memories. I played about a quarter of the FF4 psp version and enjoyed it well enough but just never got back to it. 5 I never played but it seems like the most interesting gameplay wise (job system) and it's a lost game from the era of jrpgs I liked. Any thoughts?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Definitely go with 5 if you haven't played it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

VI is easily the best of those three

V is easily the most replayable/possibly the most fun? I dunno, VI is still a blast to play

IV is… a very good game that looks worse in comparison to two of the best final fantasies ever made

I would go VI, but you could go V if you really wanna lean into job shenanigans/FJF or something. But imo, VI.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Obviously you just need the whole pack.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Get all of them but I second that V is really great due to the really cool job system.

I feel like IV is decent but didn’t age particularly well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It actually occurred to me I haven't played any version of VI that wasn't SNES or a romhack of SNES. I didn't know about the little changes like Celes being abused by the guards isn't in any other version of VI I'm told? As it pertains to specifically VI PR though, I wonder how the opera scene seems if it's the first (and only) version you've seen.

Anyway, VI is head and shoulders the best game of those three, and I don't think PR added or subtracted anything to really change that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I always put forward VI as the Final Fantasy to start with if you have no leanings otherwise. Because it's got basically everything there is to like about the series while rarely being the best at them, meaning that whatever you like about the game can inform where you go from there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Actually, assuming you’re discounting XIV because it has the unfair advantage of being an MMO with what is essentially like…five or six FF games’ worth of story, VI is the best FF.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

It actually occurred to me I haven't played any version of VI that wasn't SNES or a romhack of SNES. I didn't know about the little changes like Celes being abused by the guards isn't in any other version of VI I'm told? As it pertains to specifically VI PR though, I wonder how the opera scene seems if it's the first (and only) version you've seen.

Anyway, VI is head and shoulders the best game of those three, and I don't think PR added or subtracted anything to really change that.
The PSX version also has prisoner abuse. It basically has everything uncensored, but I don't know if they got all of Cyan's stuff.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FFXII-2: So I accidentally did Part 2 of Episode 3 first and was confused as to where to go. The boss was a bit tough but I got him first try. A lot of the enemies hit hard. It all made sense when I realized I had somehow skipped Part 1 so I went back to Bresha and now I'm doing part 1 lol.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I wish VI was a bit harder as it was never able to keep my interest for a whole play through until I played BNW.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In the scene you referenced in the ending, the one where Zack survives, it’s supposed to be an alternate reality/timeline based on the little flyer or whatever of Stamp where he’s a yorkie instead of a beagle or whatever. So Zack is still dead in their timeline but there’s an alternate one where he survived and it seems like they might be interacting? I thought the big takeaway from the ending was that they overcame the whispers who represented fate and/or the expectations the producers had to contend with, so literally anything could happen going forward. Aerith could live. Who even knows at this point? And that’s super exciting!

As for the cloaked guys with the number tattoos, I can’t remember if they turned into Jenova monsters/Sephiroth in the original game but that conceit was the crux of the plot of Advent Children. It’s tough to tell if they actually encountered the real Sephiroth in FFVIIR. I look forward to that being explained in the future installments.

The impression I got is that their own timeline/history was changed, rather than there being a separate one created "alongside" it. This also seems to make more sense because "Zack existing in some separate timeline that our main characters aren't in" wouldn't seem particularly relevant.

I was reading some theory (that seems heavily supported by comments made by Nomura plus some other stuff) that the lifestream is basically made up of memories, and that the events at Nibelheim (where Jenova was able to "infect" the lifestream* - which goes on to result in the events of Advent Children as well) "corrupted" the lifestream with Jenova and result in the events of the original game. Through the events of Remake, this influence of Jenova upon the lifestream is removed, possibly rewriting reality retroactively. This theory also proposes that the various headaches/visions Cloud gets are caused by "Sephiroth's memories within Cloud," which cause the divergence from the normal plotline (and is why the events of Remake are ultimately "caused" by Sephiroth). While Cloud in the original game is primarily just shaped by his memories of Zack, in this there's also some Sephiroth thrown in there, which is why Cloud will sometimes do bizarre stuff like trying to kill Johnny or Reno. This is why the Whispers step in to stop him from doing the latter, since it's an action Cloud wouldn't have taken in the original timeline (Tifa handles stopping the former).

This also results in Sephiroth (actual Sephiroth, the one who speaks with Cloud at the very end of Remake after the big whisper thing - which I interpret as "will of the Jenova-infected lifestream, so basically Jenova - is defeated, as opposed to "Jenova-Sephiroth") ending up a primary antagonist in this new story, instead of Jenova (which was basically the main enemy in the original game).

* I also think this is why "Crisis Core" is called what it is; since the Nibelheim event of Sephiroth(/Jenova) falling into the lifestream cause everything that happens in the main story, since it essentially gives Jenova influence over "the memories/will of the world" and thus history itself.

edit: The one possible issue with my interpretation of things that comes to mind is the existence of Cloud's Buster Sword, since Zack also still has his. But I think that a "the timeline itself changed" explanation would be way more interesting (and can be explained given information we know about the setting) than a "multiple timelines exist" one (which is liable to just lead to a lot of confusion and convoluted explanations).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 4, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Something I just noticed this time playing the Opera sequence in FF6. Setzer’s theme is diegetic when he makes his entrance. That’s a funny touch.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

I wish VI was a bit harder as it was never able to keep my interest for a whole play through until I played BNW.

Glad to know I'm not alone in this. Tried getting through Vi multiple times for years but always fell off because it was so boring and easy. Then I got linked BNW and beat it and it was awesome.

It is interesting though to go back to VI after having played VII and VIII multiple times. You can clearly see how their basic mechanics originated in VI. VI stands out though in that everyone actually has a class and unique skills, even if you can ignore them after a while. It still beats "the only difference is Limit Breaks."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Get all of them but I second that V is really great due to the really cool job system.

I feel like IV is decent but didn’t age particularly well.

V also arguably has the best piece of music in the series.

(Please do not argue. I just really like Battle at the Big Bridge.)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

You're correct so it's ok.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFV’s OST is one of the best in the series, so yeah. Full of bangers.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh I'm totally gonna argue. (But Big Bridge rules hard)

It's VI and the piece is called the Phantom Forest.

IV, V and VI have the best three cave themes in the series.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VIPR has "searching for friends" which absolutely nails the scene.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
5 might have the worst soundtrack outside of 2.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just rolled credits on crisis core reunion. Really fun and I enjoyed hanging out with Zack and the other characters (especially Aerith). I wish they had spent more time with Cloud but it was alright.

The whole part with Genesis after like chapter 5 or 6 felt very shoehorned into the plot especially in the final two chapters. Game loses a lot of steam after Nibelheim plot wise. But all in all I still really enjoyed it. Can’t wait for part 2 of the remake now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

5 might have the worst soundtrack outside of 2.

But II has the best battle theme in the series, how can it be the worst based just on that? Nevermind that the rest of the tracks at their absolute worst are serviceable and good to fantastic otherwise.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b8TdhrqIc9c

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STbrh5E-DdA

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you’ve mistaken Battle 2 for 2 Battle, easy error

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Last Celebration posted:

But II has the best battle theme in the series, how can it be the worst based just on that? Nevermind that the rest of the tracks at their absolute worst are serviceable and good to fantastic otherwise.

Fair argument. 2's soundtrack is better than 5's.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I love that battle theme. The game also has a really cool regular dungeon theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q7Qegdl5iQ

I'm pretty sure it also has a theme just called Dungeon but this is the other, far better dungeon theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other interesting thing that FF7R theory brings up is the way the same tessellation pattern is common to both Crisis Core's "digital mind wave" (which represents memories - Zack's in this case) and FF7R's interface. The re-release of Crisis Core makes the relevance of this even more likely (the theory in question was posted before the re-release was announced). It supports the idea of memories being integral to the themes/plot of FF7R in some way.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just rolled credits on crisis core reunion. Really fun and I enjoyed hanging out with Zack and the other characters (especially Aerith). I wish they had spent more time with Cloud but it was alright.

The whole part with Genesis after like chapter 5 or 6 felt very shoehorned into the plot especially in the final two chapters. Game loses a lot of steam after Nibelheim plot wise. But all in all I still really enjoyed it. Can’t wait for part 2 of the remake now.

Yeah I wish we got to see more of Cloud and Zack. What little we got to see was really charming. They should have let Zack visit Cloud's house for dinner, like Cloud texts him about.

edit: I also thought the pacing was really bizarre with all that stuff happening post-Nibelheim. I guess they needed to shoe-horn in a "final boss" (that you can actually defeat, since it'd kind of suck to have the final boss be "getting owned by Sephiroth") though it seems like that stuff could have just happened before Nibelheim.