Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
oh no

don't drink and back goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Thanks to ambiguously described tiers, I ended up with two copies of the Valley of the Kings deluxe edition. Managed to sell the second so not a big loss but I was annoyed.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

PRADA SLUT posted:

oh no

don't drink and back goons

I can only assume your ambivalence regarding the scenario, it’s clear you’re of two minds

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MizuZero posted:

I can only assume your ambivalence regarding the scenario, it’s clear you’re of two minds

:golfclap: I came here to post this, but knew deep down in my heart that it had already been said. Very nice, haha

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, with the carrot of a group New Years Eve game hanging infront of me I decided to break open Eldritch Horror and give it a shot.

I played a 2 investigator solo game, the soldier and the psychic, with Azathoth as the great one. It was an interesting game, but I did find myself with my head in my hands quite a few times - a mystery that requires a clue to be solved, with a rumour which (when reckoning ticks enough) erases all clues from the board - that can only be solved by combat with an epic monster which precludes clue-based combat re-rolls. Even in the case that I had lots of dice, I rolled absolutely terribly. For the sake of getting on with it, I would re-roll and it would be just as bad - so the game feels very punishing indeed.

My soldier trekked across northern russia and took out the demon sultan, only for a reckoning to force the hounds of tindalos into an encounter which was so terrible it drove him completely mad in one go from full sanity. The final turn of the game saw me (with some judicious re-rolling) solve the final mystery - but the mythos card was to resolve the reckoning for each monster twice - which included those same hounds of tindalos, who obliterated my soldier's replacement and took my final investigator down to one sanity. Without any 'jesus christ that's ridicolous' re-rolling I expect I would have had no chance at all.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of action efficiency, etc. - but it did feel like there were a few cul-de-sacs where investigators needed to kill monsters to either a) solve rumours or b) close gates to solve a mystery, but had both low influence and there wasn't anything on the market they could afford - so they were essentially wasting their actions until the encounter phase multiple times. Maybe a combination of lots of 'rural' monsters plus low influence investigators?

Movement felt very restricted with gates opening, rumours and expeditions all happening everywhere on the board but taking several turns to reach them - by which point the situation has already changed. Maybe these two issues are solved with four investigators. If I can get it to the table tomorrow I'll report in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Eldritch Horror is tuned such that 4p is the optimal count. Fewer than that and you don't have enough boots on the ground to do everything needed, and more than that divides resources too thin and makes reckonings too punishing. It's also generally better to have an even number of investigators than an odd, so if you are playing with 3 people, you'll probably want to bot in a 4th investigator

Cascading failure states like the one you described regarding needing clues while being up against something that removes clues from the board is part and parcel of the experience, but it definitely sounds like you got some bad luck on the specific parts interacting

Expansions flesh out the card pools enough that collisions of horribly bad things happen less often, but sometimes in EH it just do be like that

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I liked Eldritch Horror until effects and abilities started appearing that could push the doom counter back. Once those started happening, games of decent length could drag on to such interminable lengths that I found myself getting frustrated with it more often than not.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you- i will try 4p next time but seemed like a lot of things to manage kn my first solo game already!

I would have thought the mythos deck exhaustion would have caused the ending even if the doom track was going backwards?

Tonight is going to be Brass Lancashire I think!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am looking forward to Horseless Carriage a lot just on principle, but the rulebook published on BGG is considerably more opaque on first reading than, say, the rules for Food Chain Magnate, Antiquity, or Roads & Boats. There are some novel mechanics though, maybe it'll become clearer when I have it in hand. But in the previously-mentioned games at least I always felt there was tons of clarity and never wondered what component was being talked about or being referred to, but I so far don't get that feeling in Horseless Carriage... guess we'll see.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I am looking forward to Horseless Carriage a lot just on principle, but the rulebook published on BGG is considerably more opaque on first reading than, say, the rules for Food Chain Magnate, Antiquity, or Roads & Boats. There are some novel mechanics though, maybe it'll become clearer when I have it in hand. But in the previously-mentioned games at least I always felt there was tons of clarity and never wondered what component was being talked about or being referred to, but I so far don't get that feeling in Horseless Carriage... guess we'll see.

Same! Production line is very unclear.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wonder if it's covid loving in-persom playtesting during its development. Just a thought because John Co. 2E is also an uncharacteristically bad rulebook, and that's what I put it down to.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mr. Squishy posted:

I wonder if it's covid loving in-persom playtesting during its development. Just a thought because John Co. 2E is also an uncharacteristically bad rulebook, and that's what I put it down to.

both had extensive playtesting, arguably more than the earlier games from both (aside from root, which has a robust paid playtesting operation).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

JC2 also had the problem where the spellchecker for the board was set to a wrong language and didn't catch typos.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mr. Squishy posted:

John Co. 2E is also an uncharacteristically bad rulebook

Dang, that's sad to hear. Bad rulebooks are my kryptonite, that's going to get in the way of me getting it to the table.

SelenicMartian posted:

JC2 also had the problem where the spellchecker for the board was set to a wrong language and didn't catch typos.

:stare: what in the sam hell, that's clownshoe-level loving up

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Thanks all for the suggestions for games with my mom. I've made a list of all the suggestions and I'm going to take a look through them all. It's super helpful.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I've only played a few games of War of the Ring: The Card Game but it seems really cool. I never played Quartermaster General which this is apparently modeled after, but 2v2 games are neat and it does evoke similar feelings to regular War of the Ring in a smaller, quicker package. It's definitely not a replacement but since WotR is mainly 2p only and has a tough time getting to the table anyways I'm happy this exists.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Posting year-end stats before I sign off for New Years' festivities...waited until now as yesterday was a full day of games, the high point of which was introducing my wife and daughter to Brass: Birmingham. Both were initially overwhelmed, but enjoyed it in the end. Stats are distorted because I failed to enter a bunch of plays and sometimes entered one evening of a game as a single play, but I manually updated a few where I remembered plays that weren't entered. This was rather obviously the year of Spirit Island, which I only played for the first time back in January.

Spirit Island: 35
Concordia: 9
Azul: 6
Pandemic Legacy: Season 0: 6
7 Wonders: 5
The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine: 5
Dune: Imperium: 5
Great Western Trail: 5
PARKS: 5
Wingspan: 5
Brass: Birmingham: 4
Pan Am: 3
Pandemic: 3
7 Wonders Duel: 2
Cosmic Encounter: 2
Power Grid: 2
Tikal: 2
Viticulture Essential Edition: 2
Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1: 1
CATAN: 1
Java: 1
Mexica: 1

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Imperium Classics has the worst-feeling cards I've ever held, holy poo poo. Plastic-coated too-thick slabs of cardboard that come out of the box already warped. If I didn't buy this from B&N I'd think it was counterfeit.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

LifeLynx posted:

Imperium Classics has the worst-feeling cards I've ever held, holy poo poo. Plastic-coated too-thick slabs of cardboard that come out of the box already warped. If I didn't buy this from B&N I'd think it was counterfeit.

Imperium (both Legends and Classics) was in stock at my B&N during the 50% off sale, I had them in my hand a few times but decided not to buy and have been slightly regretting that choice in hindsight.. this report makes me feel a little better about holding off.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I wonder if the production has changed, because I have both sets and the cards are high quality. Generally everything from Osprey is IME. When the Undaunted expansion cards were slightly mismatched they reprinted and sent out replacements for every single card from every box to folks, so they don't skimp on production.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Cards for an expansion to Lost Expedition I bought were 1) blotchy inking on the backs, and 2) a slllliiightly different size from the original cards (which they get shuffled in with.) Neither issue was minor, very visually obvious.

Osprey sent me completely new cards pretty much hassle-free, though.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Had our fourth game of Food Chain magnate the other night, and it was the first time we've had 4 players drop $300 on second break. Holy crap it's a long game

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

My imperium cards are a little bit on the less nice side compared to other games I own. They have a smooth finish, not textured, and feel fine but not great. Either way I don't feel them anymore because I bought a bunch of kmc perfect fit sleeves to make it easier to shuffle, and a set of burger token clear deck boxes to hold each nation deck and the common cards to make setup easier. This is easily one of my favorite recent games solo or for 2 players, I can't wait for imperium horizons this year!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Any chance those deck boxes let it all fit in one box? I also sleeved and have them kind of stacked all in one box but it’s not ideal.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I got to play Twilight Inscription and oof. Less interaction than 7 wonders, eight times as complicated and probably six times as long. The players unfamiliar with TI drowned trying to figure out the difference between the icons and the TI players asked when we were going to start interacting with each other.

All six players agreed to just give up and count scores halfway through. It managed to bomb for every board game demographic I know of, and some of the players at that table are game for basically anything.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 1, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Imperium Classics question about reshuffling your draw deck. The rules say if you have no X tokens on your nation deck and you have X tokens on your state card, discard the top card of your nation deck, then move an X token from your state card to your nation deck. But if there's already an X token on your nation deck, you skip this step.

My question is, does this mean in a given game I'll only ever discard the top of my nation deck once? I thought the goal was to go through your draw deck and add a card from your nation deck when you reshuffle, but the rules make it sound like it's nearly impossible to do that more than once unless you manage the equally impossible task of spending all your X tokens so you don't have any to put on your nation deck. Once there's an X token on your nation deck, it doesn't come off. What am I missing?

Edit: BGG solved this. The token comes off in the cleanup step. The X token thing is just to prevent you from burning through your deck multiple times in a single turn.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Bottom Liner posted:

Any chance those deck boxes let it all fit in one box? I also sleeved and have them kind of stacked all in one box but it’s not ideal.

They sure do! I bought one pack of the "22 sleeved cards" size boxes, and sleeved everything in KMC perfect fits. I took out all of the 3 and 4 player cards and store them in the spare box, but there is room to include them if you wanted. Fits in one box with the manual, solo manual, errata printout, faction spotlight guide, and solo AI player aids.

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 2, 2023

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

There are too many games named Twilight and too many games named Imperium/Imperial

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's a real struggle

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Only in seven years, though.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Infinitum posted:

It's a real struggle

:imunfunny:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Was looking over my collection, checking what still had to be delivered via crowdfunding*, and I honestly don't really need to add anything to it atm other than the one game I've wanted for a while - Lords of Vegas

And it's really frustrating I can't buy it with some giftcards I got over Chrissie, because Lone Shark Games wants That Kickstarter Money; and keeps loving it up.

Just release the game again!
gently caress!

* - Looks like I might have something I cancelled still getting delivered.. will post results if this tracking info is legit.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If you are like me and didn’t know this existed, it is back in stock as a Gamezenter exclusive. Is there an LCG thread or is it necro’d?

https://shop.gamezenter.com/products/arkham-horror-lcg-out-of-the-void-investigator-pack

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

djfooboo posted:

If you are like me and didn’t know this existed, it is back in stock as a Gamezenter exclusive. Is there an LCG thread or is it necro’d?

https://shop.gamezenter.com/products/arkham-horror-lcg-out-of-the-void-investigator-pack

I dunno if there's a general LCG thread, but the Arkham LCG thread is here and still here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989685

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

djfooboo posted:

It's a great pack. Makes Roland actually playable, plus Molly is a great card for Dexter, plus it's the only way to get Gloria now that the book is out of print.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
(wrong thread)

Defenistrator fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 4, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Any opinions on either Nemesis or Ark Nova?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ark Nova is is one of those engine builders where players sift through a huge deck of engine pieces to try and cobble together something that works. I honestly found it overlong and quite lonely. There's very little player interaction at all, and that's intentional. A lot of players of heavier boardgames love to work out neat combos, and hate to have to guess what other players are going to do. Me, I just hate squinting at a bunch of cards to try and read what they do. Plus it's got animals as a theme, which is neat.
The snobs here don't like Nemesis. I've not played it. I gather it's like Battle Star Galactica if the designers were idiots. But I've seen people enjoy it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Both games are great

Having a game day tomorrow and got asked to bring Ark Nova along, will post a trip report if we get it tomorrow the table.
I sorta love how janky the engines you build can be.

Nemesis rules and it's great. Just a fantastic little asshat generator if you get the right objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ark Nova is is one of those engine builders where players sift through a huge deck of engine pieces to try and cobble together something that works. I honestly found it overlong and quite lonely. There's very little player interaction at all, and that's intentional. A lot of players of heavier boardgames love to work out neat combos, and hate to have to guess what other players are going to do. Me, I just hate squinting at a bunch of cards to try and read what they do. Plus it's got animals as a theme, which is neat.
The snobs here don't like Nemesis. I've not played it. I gather it's like Battle Star Galactica if the designers were idiots. But I've seen people enjoy it.

Nemesis is, yeah, exactly that, stupid fun. It's really atmospheric, and you'll have an exciting time playing it, but, it's not really like you'll necessarily do better the second time you play, or like a more skilled player would succeed more often. It's got some somewhat broken mechanics, and in typical awaken realms fashion, they suggest "try it without, or try playing it this way, or maybe add this stuff in, or..." that never really instils confidence that the game is very polished.

But even so, I really really want to play it again sometime, because it's really cool and exciting. It's a lot like arkham horror, I'd say, where you tend to have more fun if you go in with the attitude of, "I can't wait to see how horribly I die".

But it's better than arkham horror, because youll get into that insane situation where the enemies seem utterly overwhelming, and horrific doom looms large, and then your mate goes "don't worry, I've got this..." shanks you in the back and slinks off to an escape pod, lol

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 4, 2023