Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm curious about something. in Academia 400 AF, there's a big monster just hanging out in one area. You're decidedly not supposed to fight it now, but I'm bringing this up because. when approaching it, it crashed my game 100% of the time. As I recall, it was only fixed by running the game in Windowed Mode while going after him. If Full Screen, it would always crash.

You notice anything like that?

Also Caius is the true hero, do not doubt him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp_4MQK9kXE

I stopped for the night immediately after beating the Cieth, so I do not know. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The One Winged Angel leads into a pin very easily tbh.

Plants em on their shoulders and back so it transitions really smoothly.

I was trying to make a joke about Supernova being literally unable to kill, but alas, I didn't know enough about wrestling to stick the landing!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had the pirate lady as a thief at first but it felt underwhelming. The pixel remaster has a run button already but if that wasn't in other versions of the game I bet the thief running special would be a lot more significant. She's a monk right now but I'll try her at ninja when I unlock it.

I'm surprised at how much the job system is adding to my enjoyment of the game. It's not the build variety of a proper crunchy crpg, but it's more than most jrpgs I've played and it makes me more excited about leveling than just numbers going up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FrostyPox posted:

FFXIII-2: OK, did Part one of Episode 3. This Caius guy is mad we're loving with the timeline, but at the same time, we're fixing paradoxes, which you would think would fix the timeline, but I guess not? The plot thickens.

Throwing Mog to get items rules :allears:

RIP Snow (except maybe not because of time travel shennaingans)

It appears 400 years in the future, people have built an artificial fal'Cie. I thought this sounded like a bad idea and was proven immediately right when it turned a shitload of people into Cieth to kill Serah. Didn't even make them l'Cie, just skipped to the "You're a loving crystal zombie" phase.

I want your thoughts on the greatest boss battle of all time.

Nobody spoil it for him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I had the pirate lady as a thief at first but it felt underwhelming. The pixel remaster has a run button already but if that wasn't in other versions of the game I bet the thief running special would be a lot more significant. She's a monk right now but I'll try her at ninja when I unlock it.

I'm surprised at how much the job system is adding to my enjoyment of the game. It's not the build variety of a proper crunchy crpg, but it's more than most jrpgs I've played and it makes me more excited about leveling than just numbers going up.

Thief as a job is basically the king of utility. By most measurable metrics it's pretty underwhelming, but basically every single thing it can do is pretty handy to have on hand, between the sprint, Steal, and seeing hidden passages. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that a job like that works so well in a game from 1992.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Bholder posted:

It's probably been asked a billion times, but is it worth getting the FF8 remaster if you have the original on steam already?

Probably the most annoying part of FF8 Remaster is that it doesn't have a soft reseat feature, which means you have to do some extended bullshit if you want to be able to abolish specific rules in Triple Triad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish they’d hurry up and remaster XIII trilogy so I can play them again. They were fun! Even the first one!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wish they’d hurry up and remaster XIII trilogy so I can play them again. They were fun! Even the first one!

They sort of did on Xbox consoles. Increased screen resolution, framerate, 4k cutscenes, no disc swapping.

They just need to remaster the weird lil quirks still though like party leader game over, not showing item XP leveling progress/multiplier math, and the gol dang post game drop rate.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 5, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they dont need to be remastered at all

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Series X is a great way to play the XIII trilogy, but the DF Retro two parter showed that there’s room for improvement to bring them up to modern standards. There’s several trade offs between playing them on Xbox and PC, so no “perfect” way to play them. But that isn’t to say it’s unplayable by any means, they’re all in a pretty good state.

They’re PS3/60 gen so they could probably be remastered to run at 4k/ 60fps without much effort. It seems like the critical consensus is shifting more positive. It might make some more financial sense for Square to do it in a few years.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I started playing Type-0.

How in the gently caress do you deal with the camera in this? Any time I try locking onto things the camera goes completely insane the instant they start to get close to me. But if I don't lock on I don't think I can see when enemies are vulnerable (and I'm not sure if my ranged attacks are reliably hitting them; I tried just not using the targeting in this recent fight and every time I used Ace's special cards they just seems to go nowhere).

edit: Against a single boss enemy it wasn't so bad, at least.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 5, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am looking forward to getting back to this and playing all the DLC

https://twitter.com/TruebladeSeeker/status/1610512879064846336

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Thief as a job is basically the king of utility. By most measurable metrics it's pretty underwhelming, but basically every single thing it can do is pretty handy to have on hand, between the sprint, Steal, and seeing hidden passages. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that a job like that works so well in a game from 1992.

It also gives your party baller bandanas, which makes them borderline mandatory for me if I'm not doing some kind of challenge run.

My favorite part of the job system in 5 and X-2 is that all the characters have their own twists on the job outfits. It adds neat little bits of flavor to the cast, like Faris having the most avant-garde fashion of the party.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 5, 2023

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Having a Thief also protects you from getting Back Attacked, which is pretty nice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Looking forward to the VR version of the XIII trilogy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/TropicalMaku/status/1610818788504788992?t=v5eTladfpJI5FlDdbC6v5w&s=19

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cleretic posted:

I was trying to make a joke about Supernova being literally unable to kill, but alas, I didn't know enough about wrestling to stick the landing!

Undone by reality getting ahead of fiction and One Winged Angel already existing as a move.

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1610600041223426048

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

There’s one instance where thief running is pretty nice (assuming the PR kept the part where you just run like you’re at x4 speed) but otherwise they kinda fluctuate in usefulness like a lot of jobs since they get their own unique proto-thief sword that tears poo poo up good for a while. Also chakrams for back row attacks?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I started playing the FFX remaster on PC, and was wondering if there's any way to check a character's max HP in battle. There aren't HP bars, so I'm not sure how to tell how hurt you are unless the number is yellow (or you just memorize each character's max HP).

I'm also playing with JP voices just to see what that's like. They're mostly great, except for Auron who kinda sucks and is maybe the first ever situation where I've had a really strong preference for the English VA in a Japanese game (and in an older game even!). His JP voice just does not seem to mesh with his appearance/character. FFX's English dub was pretty fantastic IMO, particularly for its era.

One other thing I've discovered is that Rikku is Ryuku in Japanese. Definitely didn't expect that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Perhaps I missed it all the times turn-based nostalgia has come up, but this was an interesting rationale:
https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-xvi-producer-says-realistic-graphics-and-turn-based-combat-dont-fit/

quote:

I understand that there are a lot of fans out there that do wish for a return to the turn-based battle system but – and it pains me to say this – I'm really sorry that we're not going to be doing that for this iteration of the series. As someone who was raised on turn-based, command-based role-playing games, I fully understand their appeal and understand what's great about them.

But one thing that we found recently is that as graphics get better and better, and as characters become more realistic and more photo-real, is that the combination of that realism with the very unreal sense of turn-based commands doesn't really fit together. You have this kind of strange gap that emerges. Some people are fine with it. They're fine with having these realistic characters in this unreal type of system. But then, on the other hand, there are people that just can't get over it. I mean, if you have a character holding a gun, why can't you just press the button to have the gunfire – why do you need a command in there? And so it becomes a question of not right or wrong, but it becomes a question of preferences for each different player.

When asked to create Final Fantasy XVI by the higher-ups in the company, one of their orders was to fully maximize the use of the technology. And so when making that decision, we thought that the direction of taking in that full action was the way to do that. And when deciding whether, 'okay, are we going to go turn-based or are going to go action?' I made the decision to go action.

I found out about this in a video which contrasted FF with Dragon Quest or Pokemon, games which are still turn-based because they in no way push the envelope of technology or realism.

You know the super realism is why I figured we have not seen any absurdly young characters in an FF in so long. 6-year-olds in 4K getting stabbed or shot? Yeah, ain't gonna happen. But I never thought about this being their rationale for moving away from turn-based.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

NikkolasKing posted:

Perhaps I missed it all the times turn-based nostalgia has come up, but this was an interesting rationale:
https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-xvi-producer-says-realistic-graphics-and-turn-based-combat-dont-fit/

I found out about this in a video which contrasted FF with Dragon Quest or Pokemon, games which are still turn-based because they in no way push the envelope of technology or realism.

You know the super realism is why I figured we have not seen any absurdly young characters in an FF in so long. 6-year-olds in 4K getting stabbed or shot? Yeah, ain't gonna happen. But I never thought about this being their rationale for moving away from turn-based.

I don't disagree with that outlook, but I also find it really disappointing that they are going for this super realistic approach, because... honestly, I find that a really boring thing to do with that tech. Realism is basically the last thing I ever wanted from Final Fantasy, but out of all the franchises I like it's the one that's going the hardest for it for some reason. I really wish they were putting that graphical power to creating more super-fantastical insane poo poo, which they do very well at and very few other developers really try for on that level, rather than going for a 'grounded realism' that I could get from a half-dozen other games they're competing with.

Most of the JRPGs around them instead go for a very cartoony style, and that's fair enough and works well for all of them, but it's not like those are the only two options. I know I always go back to it, but I think a great way to make the most of the technology they have while still being as fantastical as the FF series is at its best is to just go Full Amano, make everyone on the level of Firion's character design and just go nuts on really lavish colors and artistry. It'd be absolutely gorgeous, and would also free them from going 'well these all look like realistic people so we need to put them into a realistic genre'.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honestly, I’ve found that there’s really not much in the possibility space left to explore for turn-based jrpgs, and tbh the one thing there isn’t a dearth of ever is turn-based JRPGs. I don’t need FF to do it when there’s always a bajillion games from AAA to indie publishing them and there really isn’t anything unique or new left to say. The one actually fresh turn-based jrpg experience I can remember, a jrpg where I was like “huh this is something new and brings something different to the table that I haven’t seen before” in recent memory is Undertale. That’s kind of it.

Like, if they did FF6R like they did FF7, I wouldn’t expect nor really want it to be a turn-based jrpg. FF isn’t DQ, it isn’t stuck in the mud of its past and clinging desperately to nostalgia to be relevant, it’s always trying to reinvent itself by providing a wholly new and unique experience. Going back to turn-based is kind of antithetical to the mission statement of the FF series, unless someone came up with a truly unique take on the idea.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I don't disagree with that outlook, but I also find it really disappointing that they are going for this super realistic approach, because... honestly, I find that a really boring thing to do with that tech. Realism is basically the last thing I ever wanted from Final Fantasy, but out of all the franchises I like it's the one that's going the hardest for it for some reason. I really wish they were putting that graphical power to creating more super-fantastical insane poo poo, which they do very well at and very few other developers really try for on that level, rather than going for a 'grounded realism' that I could get from a half-dozen other games they're competing with.

Most of the JRPGs around them instead go for a very cartoony style, and that's fair enough and works well for all of them, but it's not like those are the only two options. I know I always go back to it, but I think a great way to make the most of the technology they have while still being as fantastical as the FF series is at its best is to just go Full Amano, make everyone on the level of Firion's character design and just go nuts on really lavish colors and artistry. It'd be absolutely gorgeous, and would also free them from going 'well these all look like realistic people so we need to put them into a realistic genre'.

I agree with all of this. It's not creatively bankrupt to go for realism with the technology, but it's a wasted artistic opportunity. Someone ITT I think did a writeup on why they don't like seeing standardized shipping containers in their fantasy games and it stuck with me.

Don't think Japanese publishers are interested in going big unless it's realistic or super loving anime, so it may be a blessing in disguise.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FF turning to action is a cowardly retreat to PC-98 nostalgia

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Final fantasy has been pushing towards realism since 7,the only reason they look like anime characters in the cutscenes is they didn't have the capabilities to render them like real people, like they have in every other piece of FF7 media ever since

Even Spirits Within was hyped as being hyper-realistic, it's not exactly a new concept for them

9 was an exception but every other mainline game since 7 has had a cast of characters that was "realistic humans with fabulous hair and great fashion sense" with maybe some cat or bunny people sprinkled in

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 5, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I can't really get behind all this griping about FF abandoning turn based, SE clearly treat it as their flagship experimental series and have whole other sections of their company working on games than honour the old 90s ways, it's not like they just threw turn based out in the trash

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The last purely turn-based Final Fantasy was released 20 years ago. The franchise has been primarily action rpgs for longer than it's been turn-based. Deal with it

e: that said, it could stand to be a bit more stylized in its visuals. They've prided themselves on pushing the graphical envelope since 7, but we've reached the point where I can see Cloud's tear ducts lovingly rendered in 4K, I think we've peaked in that particular endeavor and we can afford to go more Amano watercolor with it now

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 5, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And they even wanted X to be less overtly turn-based, but ran out of resources and time to do so, IIRC. They initially envisioned it to look more like XI and XII.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Final fantasy has been pushing towards realism since 7,the only reason they look like anime characters in the cutscenes is they didn't have the capabilities to render them like real people, like they have in every other piece of FF7 media ever since

Even Spirits Within was hyped as being hyper-realistic, it's not exactly a new concept for them

9 was an exception but every other mainline game since 7 has had a cast of characters that was "realistic humans with fabulous hair and great fashion sense" with maybe some cat or bunny people sprinkled in

VII did have a talking lion creature. Not even an anthro, just a full-blown animal person.

And while Cait Sith is a robot, it's a very...weird robot. Not what I'd call realistic.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

That FFX feels so fast while being fully turn based is a joy.

Yakuza 7 is proof that full turned based still works with high fidelity graphics, but the vibes of that game just fit in a different way.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Bravely Default series is the best modern turn-based FF experience and my only real gripe with them is that the jobs are a little kooky compared to the more grounded jobs in FF. Bravely Second opening with weird jobs like Wizard (instead of Black Mage) and Charioteer (a job based around being a sort-of centaur with quad-wield where you equip a sword on your head???) and giving you knight fairly late in the game made it feel very much like it was on some other poo poo.

Of course, Bravely Second was weird for a lot of reasons. Bravely Default 1 was a homerun. Bravely Default 2's turn system feels weird even though it's just a normal speed/initiative system with more detail.

I think FFX/FFX-2 showed that a turn-based FF isn't exactly antithetical to modern graphics (even though it came out 20 years ago). FF13 went for a, uh, similar-ish combat and it was fine.

I maintain that FF7R's implementation of a mix between action and "turns" is probably the best way to do it moving forward, though FF16 looks like it's just straight up action.

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 5, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

The last purely turn-based Final Fantasy was released 20 years ago. The franchise has been primarily action rpgs for longer than it's been turn-based. Deal with it

e: that said, it could stand to be a bit more stylized in its visuals. They've prided themselves on pushing the graphical envelope since 7, but we've reached the point where I can see Cloud's tear ducts lovingly rendered in 4K, I think we've peaked in that particular endeavor and we can afford to go more Amano watercolor with it now

Especially since Square Enix has been putting out plenty of turn-based rpgs, and enough of them carry on that FF spirit.

Personally I hope they put out a successor to Dungeon Encounters at some point, they've shown they can still do interesting stuff with ATB.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

VII did have a talking lion creature. Not even an anthro, just a full-blown animal person.

And while Cait Sith is a robot, it's a very...weird robot. Not what I'd call realistic.

Yes and 15 has a giant water snake destroy a city but the point is you drive a stylized-but-realistic car on photorealistic roads to that city, which is a gleaming, recognizably modern and realistic-looking place, rather than the style Dragon Quest has stuck with for the past 30 years, for example

e: remember when they made Lightning a model for actual, existing fashion brands and then did it again with Luna?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm fine with FF being a series that features "realistic" art instead of adopting its the style of its contemporaries, i.e characters that all look exactly the same but have different hairstyles and costumes plonked onto them like a Mr. Potato Head.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I agree, no FFunko Pops.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

jokes posted:

The Bravely Default series is the best modern turn-based FF experience

I agree with this.

Outside of Squeenix, I'd say Persona 5 Royal has probably the most maximized turn-based mechanics without dipping to the tactical/SRPG genre. I dunno how much more innovation you can make in that area without crossing over into live action.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Persona's systems are simple by design as a more casual SMT.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

The reality is that once they went into a more action rpg they opened a door and they are now afraid of newer fans being bored by turn based gameplay. They’re just cowards, turn based games are still good and people still like them.

The graphics have nothing to do with it, they’re just using it as an excuse.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The actual truth is Yoshida is a producer giving nothing fluff answers during promotional rounds. The last time he got asked he said it's because young people don't like turnbased games which has any number of counterexamples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Motto posted:

The actual truth is Yoshida is a producer giving nothing fluff answers during promotional rounds. The last time he got asked he said it's because young people don't like turnbased games which has any number of counterexamples.

For sure