Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

insta posted:

Currently building Tridents right now. I've built 2.4s in the past.

Never building another 2.4 again if I can avoid it. Trident forever. Trident is life.
That's a pretty solid endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i cannot believe that there is a 3d printer device called the Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder

open-source people should not be allowed to name things ever

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Is it not a 3d printed device for safely feeding enraged rabbits? ie keeping fingers out of the way or something?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i cannot believe that there is a 3d printer device called the Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder

Now I want to invent some accessories so I can name them after Opossums.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

Oh man if you want to see some whacky naming for files look in to the stuff that is used to evade Games Workshop name searching their models. Enraged Prime Beefs fighting Jean Thieves is just the tip of that iceberg.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sagebrush posted:

You say that..... But the name makes sense if you've seen it in action. Sound on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu-BvQQyJjU

And this is an enviorment where we have X1 Carbon, Mk3s, SV01, and while we're there, a naming convention of 1, 2, 0. In that order.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Without looking it up, minotaurs fighting... Space elves?

I am not nerdy enough for this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

NomNomNom posted:

Without looking it up, minotaurs fighting... Space elves?

I am not nerdy enough for this.

Primaris space marines vs. Genestealers.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

You could ask a polymer chemist to be sure, but for acetone resistance the best option of the reasonably common FDM filaments is probably nylon. Polypropylene or polyethylene should be even better, but they're very difficult to print. I've seen the filament for sale but I don't know of anyone who uses it seriously.

Super engineering plastics like PEEK should also work very well but they're very hard to print and super expensive to boot.

SLA resins are likely not a good choice. Acetone is a decent solvent for acrylates, which are a major component of most SLA resins.

I use those polypropylene amazon pickle jars for cleaning prints and have had one of them filled with acetone for a few years with no degradation. As for the feasibility of printing with polypropylene - I have no idea.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nerobro posted:

You say that..... But the name makes sense if you've seen it in action. Sound on.

Nothing in that video makes me think of rabbits or carrots and the sound is just normal motors and mechanisms. What am I supposed to be seeing?

I say stop with all the le monkey cheese bacon ~random~ names and also with all the twee cutewashed tech company names while we're at it. Bring back the 1950s style of product naming and call this device the 9-in-1 Mult-O-Matic Autoloader.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah but then your competitor just has to call theirs the 10-in-1 and BOOM you're hosed, totally obsolete.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Nothing in that video makes me think of rabbits or carrots and the sound is just normal motors and mechanisms. What am I supposed to be seeing?

I say stop with all the le monkey cheese bacon ~random~ names and also with all the twee cutewashed tech company names while we're at it. Bring back the 1950s style of product naming and call this device the 9-in-1 Mult-O-Matic Autoloader.

Hearing, not seeing. I suppose it depends on weather you've heard a rabbit munching on stuff. I was angry about the name till I saw the orignial video.

Makerbot had the thing-o-matic.

Naming of ~things~ is hard. I was behind the "IS board" in like.. 2004. It was a reactionary name because of a company called WAS. (Jim Drew is still a steaming pile of poo.) Even companies who spend lots of money on naming things get it wrong, in dire fashion from time to time. Like.. Looking up what the KN car company is. The worst thing is when people name things in ways that can't be searched. It's not a great name but BabyBelt seems to bring up the right answer always.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 5, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Reminder that Steve Ballmer REALLY wanted Cortana renamed to "Bingo" before he left Microsoft.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, it's a 3d printer device?

Though it was an sex toy for power users.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I always thought it was a backronym attempting to integrate the RCF letters in that order, with what some people having some obsession with the Voron creator, or the very least his nickname. Some homage type of bullshit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lmao what? I'd never heard that before. And people say that Prusa has a problem with a personality cult! lomarf

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a sick burn lined up for voron.

Still got it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Acid Reflux posted:

For those of us who don't mind the budget filaments - IIID Max has a 15% off end-of-year sale coupon. At current prices, that brings a 10-pack of PLA+ down to $101.92 shipped in the USA.

https://llldmax.com/
Coupon code is HAPPY2023

My order of this stuff came today, and so far, so good -- my only complaint is that IIIDMAX's white PLA+ is more of a bone white than I was expecting, compared to the Inland stuff that's brilliant white. I like the shades of blue I got, though.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Are idex printers much of a thing? Seems like it would be an interesting route to solve some basic multi color printing

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

Are idex printers much of a thing? Seems like it would be an interesting route to solve some basic multi color printing

Yes.

I mean... what else is to say? hah.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Rexxed posted:

Still got it.

:vince:

GOTTEM

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The Chairman posted:

My order of this stuff came today, and so far, so good -- my only complaint is that IIIDMAX's white PLA+ is more of a bone white than I was expecting, compared to the Inland stuff that's brilliant white. I like the shades of blue I got, though.

The white is definitely a bit lackluster, I got a couple of rolls for the first time in my most recent order and was a little disappointed. I love every other one of their colors that I've tried, which is most of them at this point, but will definitely be sticking with my usual eSun (who I think is also the OEM for Inland, or at least used to be) for a nice bright white.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Still got it.

The Moron was the badass Portal-themed Voron!
:eng101:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

w00tmonger posted:

They’re definitely better than a lot of MMU solutions, but to accommodate the extra heads, you lose build area on the left and right because otherwise they’ll interfere with each other. And just like the name suggests, you’re limited to two extruders.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Sagebrush posted:

The Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder is the multi filament solution I want to try soon,

But I've had to write that name down in like three places because it's impossible to remember or reverse engineer.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Got my shipping notification for the Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro, and it's shipping from my town? Knowing canadian shippers though I'll see it Monday if I'm lucky even though it's projected for today

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IMO, for an eventual ERCFv2, someone needs to figure out a sane printable mechanism that allows using a Y-splitter on the head and preload the next filament close to the hotend while printing. FDM printing is already excruciatingly slow, gently caress me if you add the delays from filament un-/feeding multiple times a layer.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My Bambu should be here next week, time to retire my oldest printer to make room. I hate having to make room :mad:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

My Bambu should be here next week, time to retire my oldest printer to make room. I hate having to make room :mad:

What'd you wind up ordering?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

IMO, for an eventual ERCFv2, someone needs to figure out a sane printable mechanism that allows using a Y-splitter on the head and preload the next filament close to the hotend while printing. FDM printing is already excruciatingly slow, gently caress me if you add the delays from filament un-/feeding multiple times a layer.

as far as I can tell the ERCF is basically a (theoretically) more reliable version of the Prusa MMU2, which is a terrible way of doing multi-material printing even when it works.

Tool! Changing!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Tool! Changing!
I see this as problematic in a device that's partly printed. Something like E3D's system, where all the mechanical parts are machined, thus (theoretically) precise, sure. A printed plastic variant the very least needs annoying (regular?) calibration.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

mattfl posted:

What'd you wind up ordering?

X1 Carbon combo, so I am looking forward to multicolor prints. I had a brief dalliance with Prusa's MMU, but decided against it and have done without, but I'm looking forward to seeing if the Bambu solves all my problems :v:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Anybody have any experience at all with commercial automated printing systems? The ones that automatically de-plate and sometimes wash and cure prints so you can run machines unattended overnight and the like? I’m looking to spend a truly stupid amount of money to replace some very high capacity commercial printers and i’m flying blind with this next-level poo poo, don’t wanna roll the dice on a 5-6 figure investment

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Anybody have any experience at all with commercial automated printing systems? The ones that automatically de-plate and sometimes wash and cure prints so you can run machines unattended overnight and the like? I’m looking to spend a truly stupid amount of money to replace some very high capacity commercial printers and i’m flying blind with this next-level poo poo, don’t wanna roll the dice on a 5-6 figure investment

Formlabs just announced one that looks pretty promising.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Birthday's coming up so I bought a Neptune 2S. Got to get me a bed leveling sensor, I think. But it won't be here for a while so I have time.

Any suggested improvements to the software/hardware?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Acid Reflux posted:

The white is definitely a bit lackluster, I got a couple of rolls for the first time in my most recent order and was a little disappointed. I love every other one of their colors that I've tried, which is most of them at this point, but will definitely be sticking with my usual eSun (who I think is also the OEM for Inland, or at least used to be) for a nice bright white.

IIID MAX's "candy red" is weird and bad, but almost everything else they do is pretty good.

Weirdly, I've noticed that most of their dark filaments print more nicely than the light ones. It's not just a trick of the light, either - like if I use their purple, dark blue or "night gray" (actually my favorite filament color) I get a smoother top surface than their light blue or their yellow.

The Eyes Have It posted:

X1 Carbon combo, so I am looking forward to multicolor prints. I had a brief dalliance with Prusa's MMU, but decided against it and have done without, but I'm looking forward to seeing if the Bambu solves all my problems :v:

And give you new problems of ridiculous amounts of waste. :toot:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

NewFatMike posted:

Formlabs just announced one that looks pretty promising.

Yeah, they've been working on automating that end of things for years now. They recognized early that care & feeding of printers (loading, reloading, popping parts, cleaning parts, etc) is a huge labor cost when things scale up.

I'd love to manage a professional print farm. That and caretaking fields of solar panels are my modern-day equivalent of daydreaming about being a shepherd.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/3dpNero/status/1611453520443760643

https://twitter.com/3dpNero/status/1611455317727903745

This seems...suboptimal.

edit: apparently it's worse than that; he induced thermal runaway during print heat-up by loosening the thermistor

edit2: the P1P exhibits the same behavior. great!

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 6, 2023

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Since I have a long tradition of breaking things when I pull them apart and need to do some maintenance on my Prusa MK3, I bought a Sovol SV06 as backup.

The frame is quite rigid, and the gantries are well put together. If the manual took as much inspiration from Prusa as the printer it would be an easy recommendation for a first printer for most people.

The only 2 things I don't like are:
  • The magnetic sticker on the heatbed. It works just fine, but it seems like it introduces a bit of variation in heatbed flatness; and
  • The choice of a microSD instead of a regular SD card slot, and locating it on the controller board instead of on the more-easily accessible display panel

For the $330AUD I paid it's great value, and certainly a far cry from the Anet A2 I bought for the same price about 6 years ago!

tracecomplete posted:

Weirdly, I've noticed that most of their dark filaments print more nicely than the light ones.

I thought this was a constant across all filaments because they need to add more colourant for the lighter colours?

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

tracecomplete posted:

IIID MAX's "candy red" is weird and bad, but almost everything else they do is pretty good.

Weirdly, I've noticed that most of their dark filaments print more nicely than the light ones. It's not just a trick of the light, either - like if I use their purple, dark blue or "night gray" (actually my favorite filament color) I get a smoother top surface than their light blue or their yellow.

Definitely a huge fan of the Night Gray myself, and have also recently discovered that I really like the lighter Space Gray too. I agree that the Candy Red is a bit odd, but I've found the sort of muted translucence of it useful in a couple of things. Still have most of the roll though, don't really see ever using a ton of it and probably wouldn't buy it again.