Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know Kakashi did mass clones with Naruto before, at the end of the Zabuza arc, but Kakashi did it with basic clones while Naruto used the more intensive shadow clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait this isn't the Naruto thread.

Do we even have a Naruto thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > The First Naruto OP Is Good.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wait this isn't the Naruto thread.

Do we even have a Naruto thread.

Yes, it's the My Hero Academia thread.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Man I wish there could be another battle shonen as good as Naruto and One Piece.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zatch Bell 2 is running right now!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I watched Naruto up until Rock Lee lost to Garaa and never wanted to see another episode

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That was a good fight.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the fish queens plan doesnt get less stupid with more info, right? Like being "ok lets move everyone out of Constantinople and move into the Levant, so we can become best friends with the Caliph" or something even dumber I can't make a metaphor for

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think they're talking about Otohime?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Arist posted:

I think they're talking about Otohime?

yeah her. I guess the part about finding a place to colonize gets sidestepped since the plan seems to be "ask the world nobles/world summit to nicely give them some terra nullis" but uh why are you relying on the goodwill of the people mass enslaving you again? very unserious governance

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Zatch Bell 2 is running right now!

Kind of hard to actually classify it as a good battle shonen thus far when there's been, like, 1 fight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

the fish queens plan doesnt get less stupid with more info, right? Like being "ok lets move everyone out of Constantinople and move into the Levant, so we can become best friends with the Caliph" or something even dumber I can't make a metaphor for

Her plan was to coexist and join the World Government. They have no plans to actually move everyone out of Fishman Island, afaik?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Kild posted:

Her plan was to coexist and join the World Government. They have no plans to actually move everyone out of Fishman Island, afaik?

I'm pretty sure her plan was to move everyone to the surface, or at least unless im incredibly dull or the dub really rewrote poo poo, b/c they said it like dozens of times? From what I can tell it was literally "we're scared of each other bc we're down here and we're up there, if we go up to where the cool sun is and become neighbors with regular exposure we'll bridge the gap between races :)" which is amazingly naieve even for one piece. Coexisting/joining the world government was step one to fully integrating with the surface world as part of it, as I understood

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How strong is raizo relative to naruto characters

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I'm pretty sure her plan was to move everyone to the surface, or at least unless im incredibly dull or the dub really rewrote poo poo, b/c they said it like dozens of times? From what I can tell it was literally "we're scared of each other bc we're down here and we're up there, if we go up to where the cool sun is and become neighbors with regular exposure we'll bridge the gap between races :)" which is amazingly naieve even for one piece. Coexisting/joining the world government was step one to fully integrating with the surface world as part of it, as I understood

the first step was participating in the reverie, and then as soon as the fishman island delegation got there they were almost enslaved. none of her plans and ideals could possibly survive the existence of celestial dragons. otohime miraculously found a single sympathetic celestial dragon, but what does that count for? as the doquixote family demonstrated, the celestial dragons have no qualms about weeding out dissenters.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ok so it was about as dumb as it sounded at first glance, got it

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

otohime miraculously found a single sympathetic celestial dragon, but what does that count for?

Provided they aren't purged, they'll be the last one standing when Luffy and the waves he makes are done with them.

Speaking of Fishman Island and an attack that debuted there, has Oda ever tried to explain the exact mechanics of how Red Hawk works? Gear 2 heats up Luffy's body and caused him to steam, Haki armors his arm, and then...his hand and forearm just burst into flame. One could say he's igniting the air or something, but he first used it underwater. Is it some vibration trick, generating so much kinetic energy it produces flame? Or is one of those "Zoro can speak with a sword in his mouth and Sanji can ignite his leg because his heart and passion burns so fiercely reality bends for it"?

(With Gear 5 the mechanics become irrelevant anyway: at that point Luffy runs on cartoon rules...)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Kind of hard to actually classify it as a good battle shonen thus far when there's been, like, 1 fight.

After Zatch Bell 1 there coulda been 0 fights and I would still trust it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the first step was participating in the reverie, and then as soon as the fishman island delegation got there they were almost enslaved. none of her plans and ideals could possibly survive the existence of celestial dragons. otohime miraculously found a single sympathetic celestial dragon, but what does that count for? as the doquixote family demonstrated, the celestial dragons have no qualms about weeding out dissenters.

Honestly, I'm surprised every Reverie doesn't end in mass tragedy and cause a revolution. You can't bring a group of people together right where the Celestial Dragons are and not have some of them enslaved/killed/assaulted. It's a terrible location idea.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

mabels big day posted:

Hard to know, since he hasn't had his abilities defined that well.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised every Reverie doesn't end in mass tragedy and cause a revolution. You can't bring a group of people together right where the Celestial Dragons are and not have some of them enslaved/killed/assaulted. It's a terrible location idea.

I assume that most World Nobles have more sense than Charlos, or at least that Charlos was emboldened by anti-fishman/mermaid racism and even he wouldn't have dared to abduct a human member of a Levely delegation like that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mabels big day posted:

Pretty weak actually, especially once you get into shippuden, by the end you've got plenty of characters who could beat kaido fairly effortlessly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

mabels big day posted:

he didn't even summon a zombie oden, bottom tier.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/kimpimpam/status/1610388593310306304?s=20

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Provided they aren't purged, they'll be the last one standing when Luffy and the waves he makes are done with them.

Speaking of Fishman Island and an attack that debuted there, has Oda ever tried to explain the exact mechanics of how Red Hawk works? Gear 2 heats up Luffy's body and caused him to steam, Haki armors his arm, and then...his hand and forearm just burst into flame. One could say he's igniting the air or something, but he first used it underwater. Is it some vibration trick, generating so much kinetic energy it produces flame? Or is one of those "Zoro can speak with a sword in his mouth and Sanji can ignite his leg because his heart and passion burns so fiercely reality bends for it"?

(With Gear 5 the mechanics become irrelevant anyway: at that point Luffy runs on cartoon rules...)

luffy always ran on cartoon rules. gear 2 is a cartoon bit, gear 3 is directly called out by rob lucci as cartoon logic, gear 4 is not only cartoon logic but if you look closely from the very first time we see it he has that kind of wreathe/shawl thing around him that awakened zoans seem to get even though hes not all the way there yet. if we're taking at face value that zoans have some degree of active will/animus still, then a successful awakening is something akin to like, achieving 100% synchro with it. the awakened zoans in impel down are basically lobotomized because for whatever reason they grasped the power but not the alignment with the fruit and lost themselves. lucci is a sicko fight pervert that likes to hurt people, so hes aligned perfectly with the animus of a leopard. luffy wants to be the most free man in the world and use that freedom to bring liberation to others, so he aligns with the god of freedom perfectly. i would contend hes always been awoken and has only just managed to figure out how to use all the power that entails.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Luffy is literally a cartoon character. He’s in a cartoon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lufffy is real just like Sogeking is real

He lives in my heart

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What ever happened to Sogeking? He just straight-up disappeared from the story! What the heck, Oda?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jimbot posted:

What ever happened to Sogeking? He just straight-up disappeared from the story! What the heck, Oda?

Caribou killed him, remember?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Caribou killed him, remember?

Sogeking's powerlevel is much too high for that, it was probably a shadow clone

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Does anyone else think Blackbeard totally has another personality like Cavendish and that's why he doesn't sleep and the other personality ate the 2nd fruit?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Don't tell me One Piece's final villain is Doppio and Diavolo

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Bisse posted:

Don't tell me One Piece's final villain is Doppio and Diavolo

D. Oppio and D. Iavolo

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Does anyone else think Blackbeard totally has another personality like Cavendish and that's why he doesn't sleep and the other personality ate the 2nd fruit?

Yes, but I think it's actually 3 personalities (going off his 3 skulls flag).Which could work really well for a final battle, because they serve as sort of rounds to the fight.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Have we seen any behaviour or mannerisms that would indicate 3 personalities

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Not really, but there are some panels where BBs missing teeth change places IIRC.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

3 personalities but they are all incredibly similar, except taste in pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Not really, but there are some panels where BBs missing teeth change places IIRC.

I feel like I read somewhere that those were corrected but people have used that to argue that he actually has triplet brothers he hides in the darkness and you can tell based on jewelry and teeth.