Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cleretic posted:

I think I tricked myself into going down a different path instead, though. I missed a lot of the clues because I was convinced the Arkham Knight was Anarky, thanks to his jacket with similar imagery being in the evidence room and thug chatter bringing him up, which I thought was really conspicuous for a complete nobody character like that. Batman stories have referenced Jason Todd's death (or 'death') just as backstory before, so I assumed that was what they were doing, but why would you mention Anarky multiple times if you aren't using him?

Unfortunately for you they were just callbacks to Arkham Origins, which barely ever comes up in the main story. (They did bring back the extremely rad Firefly design for the DLC though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Cleretic posted:

See, that part probably should've clued me in, but if you have the amount of General Batman Knowledge I have (which is 'I'm friends with enough nerds to know most major parts despite not reading comics') then it tracks as just a recognizable and affecting subject for a fear-gas flashback. They did his parents' deaths in the first game, they did the Killing Joke early in Knight, and that scene is basically third place. Especially for the context it's in, being a mission with Robin dealing with Joker Bullshit. It's definitely the main setup, but I was sorta tricked into reading it as background color instead.

I think I tricked myself into going down a different path instead, though. I missed a lot of the clues because I was convinced the Arkham Knight was Anarky, thanks to his jacket with similar imagery being in the evidence room and thug chatter bringing him up, which I thought was really conspicuous for a complete nobody character like that. Batman stories have referenced Jason Todd's death (or 'death') just as backstory before, so I assumed that was what they were doing, but why would you mention Anarky multiple times if you aren't using him?

The weirdest part of Arkham Knight being Jason Todd was that Rocksteady explicitly said that wasn't true before the game came out because everyone called it lmao. Him being Anarky would've been way cooler.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

drat I didnt know that lmao, it was so obvious in game that I figured it wasnt supposed to be a twist

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

The Chad Jihad posted:

drat I didnt know that lmao, it was so obvious in game that I figured it wasnt supposed to be a twist

I was big into the arkham games when it came out and no, a big part of the marketing was "Who is the Arkham Knight?" A lot of people copped the right answer There wasn't actually anything to suggest it really, but people saw batman clone with guns and ran with it so Rocksteady came out and deconfirmed that specific one, so people came up with a bunch of way more interesting answers including Anarky, Thomas Wayne from the flashpoint timeline, Damien Wayne, Azrael, Hush, an obscure side villain mentioned in Arkham Asylum named Prometheus who was basically the anti-Batman (Raised by criminals who were killed by cops, causing him to devote his life to fighting the law.), so when people got their hands on the game it was a huge fuckin disappointment lmao

The comics smartly just made Arkham Knight a new character, the daughter of the guy who ran Arkham Asylum and had a skewed perception of the villains from her interactions with them as a child, then devoted herself to fighting Batman when she though the killed her father.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

arsenicCatnip posted:

I was big into the arkham games when it came out and no, a big part of the marketing was "Who is the Arkham Knight?" A lot of people copped the right answer There wasn't actually anything to suggest it really, but people saw batman clone with guns and ran with it so Rocksteady came out and deconfirmed that specific one, so people came up with a bunch of way more interesting answers including Anarky, Thomas Wayne from the flashpoint timeline, Damien Wayne, Azrael, Hush, an obscure side villain mentioned in Arkham Asylum named Prometheus who was basically the anti-Batman (Raised by criminals who were killed by cops, causing him to devote his life to fighting the law.), so when people got their hands on the game it was a huge fuckin disappointment lmao

The comics smartly just made Arkham Knight a new character, the daughter of the guy who ran Arkham Asylum and had a skewed perception of the villains from her interactions with them as a child, then devoted herself to fighting Batman when she though the killed her father.

Out of all those, Prometheus is probably the only one that'd actually be both interesting for their character and not a super long bow to draw for the Arkham series. The series is largely fairly grounded and Gotham-focused, so they'd have to do a LOT of run-up to justify someone like Flashpoint Thomas Wayne. Damien and Azrael would still need a lot of work to get to a satisfying point, Arkahm's direction for Hush just didn't suit that role. Anarky... I guess works in that he checks all the boxes, but I feel like would be a betrayal of the character whose entire thing is that he's an anarchist; I can't imagine a hypothetical Anarky fan would've liked it. My prediction that he was the Arkahm Knight wasn't exactly one made with respect for the writers.

I feel like they screwed themselves over by making the mystery part of the marketing, thereby putting a lot of focus onto what, from the right angle, is pretty obvious (even if I tangled myself up in 'does Jason Todd even exist in this continuity'). In truth, it being guessable isn't a failing on their part; it means they wrote a consistent character and story.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jan 4, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if they had left it alone it probably would have been OK, but they handled the PR for it so badly that when it turned out the speculating fans had been right all along it was much funnier and made them look much worse than necessary

The cherry on top is that they tagged the cutscene where it gets revealed as a spoiler, so when you reach that moment on PS4 you get a little popup that says "you can't record this" before anything even happens

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I think that issue is pretty common to various forms of media, people are just going to figure out your story's twist if it makes sense at all. It's aggravating when you straight up lie about it ahead of time, but it's also aggravating when someone publicly asks if a theory is true before the media even comes out so you have to either lie or spoil it. It's just bad all around.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to say that I'm delighted to learn of the existence of bad dad vigilante Thomas Wayne, and I wish that had been the reveal here because it feels like the wildest of all the possible options.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Cleretic posted:

Out of all those, Prometheus is probably the only one that'd actually be both interesting for their character and not a super long bow to draw for the Arkham series. The series is largely fairly grounded and Gotham-focused, so they'd have to do a LOT of run-up to justify someone like Flashpoint Thomas Wayne. Damien and Azrael would still need a lot of work to get to a satisfying point, Arkahm's direction for Hush just didn't suit that role. Anarky... I guess works in that he checks all the boxes, but I feel like would be a betrayal of the character whose entire thing is that he's an anarchist; I can't imagine a hypothetical Anarky fan would've liked it. My prediction that he was the Arkahm Knight wasn't exactly one made with respect for the writers.

I feel like they screwed themselves over by making the mystery part of the marketing, thereby putting a lot of focus onto what, from the right angle, is pretty obvious (even if I tangled myself up in 'does Jason Todd even exist in this continuity'). In truth, it being guessable isn't a failing on their part; it means they wrote a consistent character and story.

I'll agree that trying to make it a twist was silly. Stuff like Flashpoint Batdad would be a bit outlandish but they were hinting at a lot of the greater, more fantastical DC universe at that point. (Either Origins or Knight directly eludes to Superman and the Flash), but it definitely would be weird to have that in the main story.

Also yeah, Prometheus is super interesting conceptually and DC should let me write a 5-issue miniseries about him

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I think that issue is pretty common to various forms of media, people are just going to figure out your story's twist if it makes sense at all. It's aggravating when you straight up lie about it ahead of time, but it's also aggravating when someone publicly asks if a theory is true before the media even comes out so you have to either lie or spoil it. It's just bad all around.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to say that I'm delighted to learn of the existence of bad dad vigilante Thomas Wayne, and I wish that had been the reveal here because it feels like the wildest of all the possible options.

Honestly just not answering the question is the play. "You'll have to wait til the game is released to find out!". Sometimes the people producing media drastically overestimate how much reach online speculation has. Sure some people online have guessed your twist but thats a tiny fraction of the people who will actually play/watch your thing, just dont worry about it. Although in this particular instance I think most people who knew a reasonable amount about batman was immediately like "Oh, thats obviously jason todd, they're doing a version of the red hood thing", so expecting people not to guess was silly.

Lying about it just doesnt leave a good lasting impression, and in fact is one of the only things I specifically remember (other than the batmobile bullshit) about Arkham Knight, a game I completed. Could be worse though, there are multiple instances of TV shows and movies changing storylines because online fans guessed the twist, without thinking for a second that "They guessed it because its a logical thing for these characters and this story to go, changing it will make a worse, less coherent, story.". At least the lead times of games stopped them going back and going "Surprise! It was actually.... uh, what havent people guessed? Catman. Its Catman from outta loving nowhere.".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember 3 things from Arkham Knight

-The secret bullshit

-All the subtle ways the Joker is woven into the world after he first reappears

-The best glitch video I have ever seen

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arkham Knight is the only game thats broken so bad for me I was unable to progress past a certain point no matter what. :(

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Biplane posted:

Arkham Knight is the only game thats broken so bad for me I was unable to progress past a certain point no matter what. :(

For me it was the Star Fox Adventures (the dino one) on Gamecube. Got about 75% through it and I kept clipping through a bridge I had to cross.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Beastie posted:

For me it was the Star Fox Adventures (the dino one) on Gamecube. Got about 75% through it and I kept clipping through a bridge I had to cross.

The fuckin tank fight against Arkham Knight :argh: one of the tanks you have to kill spawned outside the playable area. Nothing worked, even a reinstall and starting the game over again. Apparently it was a known but rare bug with no fix. Good times.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

haveblue posted:

I remember 3 things from Arkham Knight

-The secret bullshit

-The best glitch video I have ever seen

all this is missing is a death screen where the batmobile poo poo talks batman

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The real masterstroke was the collector's edition coming with a RIP Batman statue, spoiling people who paid the most money, or just looked at it on Amazon

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Today I ran into the most FROMsoft thing ever in Elden Ring.

I saw a glowy item under an overhang and went to get it. When I got there three slimes dropped on my head. It's like I'm home!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

haveblue posted:

I genuinely think that this is the best approach to the Joker I've ever seen. As a character I don't find him very interesting and mostly just annoying, but him as a figment of Batman's imagination, with the fact that everything he says is something that you know is actually occurring to and bothering Batman, gets past everything I hate about him and gives Batman an extra dimension that the game otherwise wasn't capable of.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Elfface posted:

The real masterstroke was the collector's edition coming with a RIP Batman statue, spoiling people who paid the most money, or just looked at it on Amazon

that's crazy lmao

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cleretic posted:

I genuinely think that this is the best approach to the Joker I've ever seen. As a character I don't find him very interesting and mostly just annoying, but him as a figment of Batman's imagination, with the fact that everything he says is something that you know is actually occurring to and bothering Batman, gets past everything I hate about him and gives Batman an extra dimension that the game otherwise wasn't capable of.

You also get the incredibly satisfying ending of him getting permanently locked away in the back of Boatman's brain while he whines and begs, and actually have that resolve things rather than be all part of his plan

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Boatman

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The true Dynamic Duo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m late to the party on ghost of tsushima and everyone has said all of this already, but the things the game does to guide you without using intrusive HUD elements like blinking objective markers or a minimap really are the best.

The wind always blows in the direction of whatever you’ve marked as your current destination and you can swipe on the touchpad to make it gust for a moment if you want it to be clearer.

Instead of throwing a ? on every single minor destination on the overworld, when you’re close to something interesting, an eye-catching bird will fly around and following it will lead you there. If you want to be able to find certain kinds of landmarks from farther away than the bird appears, you can spend skill points on the ability to point the wind at the closest one.

This game easily could have turned into an Ubisoftized slurry of intrusive HUD elements and hand-holding reminders, but instead there’s pretty often 0 HUD on the screen whatsoever and you can just enjoy the countryside of tsushima as you travel. the devs put a lot of conscious work into minimizing intrusions in a genre notorious for them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing the new Saints Row and it's honestly kinda winning me over despite some obvious problems (it's glitchy, the city's more spread out with less to do, etc.)

But in particular there's one bit early in the story that brings back the old magic.

Your character gets fired from their job at a big security firm after a massive robbery. This queues up the Mission End screen with "Unlocked: Personal and Professional Failure" and the subtitle "Bonus: Lots more free time."

The next mission, "Be Your Own Boss" starts right away, and the first objective is "Wallow in your own failure." You slowly get out of bed, stumble to the kitchen, and unsuccessfully attempt to toast a waffle before slumping down on the couch.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Maxwell Lord posted:

You slowly get out of bed, stumble to the kitchen, and unsuccessfully attempt to toast a waffle before slumping down on the couch.

T...

Turn on your monitor?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Way late on Yakuza 0 probably, but just finally did the finale after leaving it for a while, and glad I went through the effort to unlock the ultimate fighting styles for both Kiryu and Majima because it seems like both of them are specifically tuned to absolutely wreck the final bosses. The Mad Dog style is more than a bit unwieldy against regular enemies but goddamn is it effective against a single otherwise hard nut to crack. Something similar for the Dragon of Dojima style. I'm pretty sure that's intentional.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you’re new to the series, Mad Dog is the erratic way Majima normally fights when you square up with him which is why it can feel unwieldy, and Dragon is Literally Just Normal Kiryu from Yakuza 1*-6, because yeah, he really is that cool. I didn’t think the business minigames had important stuff behind them my first time and really wanted to see where the story/series went so i only unlocked them on replay, but something cool to pay attention to is that Brawler and Dragon styles are pretty similar with some of their combo strings by design because the former is basically little baby Kiryu still figuring out how to punch good.

*kinda sorta in the remake

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

T...

Turn on your monitor?

mfer you think I can afford waffles ?!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I have hit the part in Yakuza Like a Dragon where things start opening up and I am having a bunch of fun beating the hell out of people. Still a little too chatty for my general taste but nowhere near as bad as the first couple chapters.

Having the increased variety in combat be a result of Kasuga's ridiculous imagination is hilarious and I love it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Regarding people calling the Arkham 'twist' before the game came out, all I'm imagining is the games writers reading comments online of people suggesting he could be all of those other WAY better twists and them just being like "....gently caress that is a better idea"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My fav little thing about Yakuza 0 is playing it as a newcomer to the series, then playing later games and realising what a shock some of the decisions in Y0 must have been, like the introduction of Majima as a cool, suave, together-looking guy

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I really though 0 was going to "explain" what made Majima snap. It turns out nothing did: he just wants to do it his way for a while.

Also, someone had to explain to me long after the fact that Majima's english sub has a lot of dialectical alterations made -- like, a long of words ending in ing instead end with in'. This is meant to convey a kind of gangsterness to him? But I didn't know that. I thought it was supposed to make him sound like a hillbilly. The whole game Majima's voice in my head was like Cletus from the Simpsons.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think the localisers tend to struggle with making the kansai accent as recognisable and distinct in english as it apparently is in japanese. there was an interesting article on the dubbing in LAD that i think may have been linked in this thread at some point

e: this is not the games yakuza thread so it is unlikely to have been linked here. alas

Inexplicable Humblebrag has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Jan 5, 2023

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

credburn posted:

I thought it was supposed to make him sound like a hillbilly. The whole game Majima's voice in my head was like Cletus from the Simpsons.

I thought that actually was the case - Japanese rural accents get translated as American rural accents. Is that really not what's going on there?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Manager Hoyden posted:

I thought that actually was the case - Japanese rural accents get translated as American rural accents. Is that really not what's going on there?

Girlfriend-at-the-time said it was supposed to make him sound like an urban gangster type, but now I'm not sure!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
FWIW, I had always understood kansai accent to essentially be hillbilly. Like when Schwarzenegger films get released in German they don't have Arnold do the dubbing because he sounds like he's speaking "swamp German"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Maybe they were going for caricature of a 1920s gangster?

If only there was some sort of way to translate something where tone could come through and be understood, maybe by casting people and having them speak a local language that the person playing or watching can understand?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

FWIW, I had always understood kansai accent to essentially be hillbilly. Like when Schwarzenegger films get released in German they don't have Arnold do the dubbing because he sounds like he's speaking "swamp German"

IIRC the stereotype connoted by Kansai dialect, and Osaka in particular, also has an element of fast-talking aggressive wheeler-dealer to it - so if the dub agency wants to play up that citified aspect, they'll go with a Noo Yawk or Cockney accent instead of a drawl.

If 80s Texan oil execs had had a more distinctive accent than "cowboy" it might have worked perfectly.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
An Australian accent would probably most accurately represent the same vibe as Kansai dialect in English but nobody ever does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

majima screaming the c-word ("cobber") as he smashes some thug's face into the ground