Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

tidal wave emulator posted:

Even Cybermodeler and Hyperscale for the aircraft stuff are already at least two decades out of date design-wise.

Good. I regularly wish genocide upon modern UI/UX designers when interacting with their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's why I still use Blues News for all my gaming news. Simple, no nonsense, text listing updated every day of the most important stuff. No Web X.0 crap, no paid promotion bullshit, no UX/UI wank, just info.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Another blast from the past, but that's because it literally is a 1-man operation:

https://www.dacoproducts.com/

DACO products still uses frames on their site. He makes some cool stuff though.
My lovely personal site still uses frames because having frames really pisses people off.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Loading up a website in old school HTML (even one made with a cheap 'website builder' tool) is jarring because everything just appears on-screen instantly.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's why I still use Blues News for all my gaming news. Simple, no nonsense, text listing updated every day of the most important stuff. No Web X.0 crap, no paid promotion bullshit, no UX/UI wank, just info.

Holy crap bluesclues.com I literally forgot it existed for probably 20 years. I remember it being big in the Quake1 / teamfortress days. That site is like taking a trip back in time.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

tidal wave emulator posted:

It's probably worth noting that aside from SA, scale modelling communities are one of the few groups keeping the old classic forums/messageboards alive through sheer will of their membership being old fellas who hate change and appreciate the advantages of forums.

Also true of people who restore vintage cars and farm machinery. For example;

https://www.classicoldsmobile.com
https://www.smokstak.com

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fornax Disaster posted:

Also true of people who restore vintage cars and farm machinery. For example;

https://www.classicoldsmobile.com
https://www.smokstak.com

Yeah the automotive world is a great source for internet olds who find value in talking to eachother about how to keep the drat thing running, but not in learning any communication paradigm newer than like the late 90s. There's almost always a particularly crotchety dude who makes aftermarket parts designed to replace the one thing on the car or bike that always loving breaks, and they usually have an extremely web1.0 site of their own. Half the time it doesn't even have an actual storefront and you end up emailing your wish list and paypal info so they can invoice you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phy posted:

Yeah the automotive world is a great source for internet olds who find value in talking to eachother about how to keep the drat thing running, but not in learning any communication paradigm newer than like the late 90s. There's almost always a particularly crotchety dude who makes aftermarket parts designed to replace the one thing on the car or bike that always loving breaks, and they usually have an extremely web1.0 site of their own. Half the time it doesn't even have an actual storefront and you end up emailing your wish list and paypal info so they can invoice you.

There is at least one supplier for wooden ship stuff who takes orders... by fax or mail. Lol.

I bought all my wood for the never-started project from him.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Locator posted:

There is at least one supplier for wooden ship stuff who takes orders... by fax or mail. Lol.

I bought all my wood for the never-started project from him.

I put together a Chesapeake Crabbing Skiff wooden kit by Midwest Models ten years ago or so and it was a really interesting experience. Even the beginner kits were basically blueprints and chunks of wood you’d cut and sand until they matched the outlines.

I learned a bunch doing it but with over like 80 hours in babies first wooden ship, I couldn’t imagine spending years on something big with all the rigging they do.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hekk posted:

I put together a Chesapeake Crabbing Skiff wooden kit by Midwest Models ten years ago or so and it was a really interesting experience. Even the beginner kits were basically blueprints and chunks of wood you’d cut and sand until they matched the outlines.

I learned a bunch doing it but with over like 80 hours in babies first wooden ship, I couldn’t imagine spending years on something big with all the rigging they do.

Sadly Midwest stopped making wooden boat kits. They were the go-to recommendation for new people entering the hobby.

I finished my first ship in probably around 200 hours... my second took over 1200. They are not for modelers who want lots of kits completed per year.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
And thus my fascination for wooden boat models ends.

If I don't complete *something* ever so often, I think I'd go mad and drop the hobby altogether.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gewehr 43 posted:

If I don't complete *something* ever so often, I think I'd go mad and drop the hobby altogether.

There are definitely smaller kits, and also the more modern kits go together much better without as much scratching and without needing to buy a lot of after-market stuff to make them good. My 1200 hour kit had a huge amount of the kit replaced with non-kit stuff.

I should pick up one of the new kits from Vanguard just to see how fast and easy they are. I know the guy who writes the documents as he is building them can knock one out in a month or so, but no idea how many hours that is.

I do have a build-log posted here for that kit if you are interested.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am super interested in the future of model boats and the proliferation of easy to use cnc machines. I have a glowforge and looking at most model kits, they don't have any wooden components that I could not make and cut out in a few hours. I also have an FDM and MSLA 3d printer, so could print out the detail bits that have odd shapes, like the ornate carvings for the stern gallery or the figurehead. Most of the other components of a model ship kit is various wood stock. A lot of the brass fittings are mass produced and common between all model ship kits. I understand that the majority of the price of the kit goes towards the research, prototyping, and development of a kit.

Midwest did make a great product for probably a small audience, I had a few of their kits and they were great. I wonder if I could make something similar and sell it on Etsy. A lot of their easier kits did not have any metal fittings except oarlocks and other bits so it would not necessarily be too hard to replicate. Is Midwest completely out of business or did they just stop selling their boat kits?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Midwest did make a great product for probably a small audience, I had a few of their kits and they were great. I wonder if I could make something similar and sell it on Etsy. A lot of their easier kits did not have any metal fittings except oarlocks and other bits so it would not necessarily be too hard to replicate. Is Midwest completely out of business or did they just stop selling their boat kits?

Just the boats, but looking at their current catalog they have very few models, they are mostly focused on the materials (wood) now it seems.

https://saundersmidwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-Midwest-Products-Catalog.pdf

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gewehr 43 posted:

You could always have multiple projects going on. Each time you sit down at the hobby table, do a few bits from a ship, and then move on to a quicker model.

Even without long term projects, I usually have 4 or 5 projects going on at any one time. Helps you stay busy when one project starts to drag. Move on to something else, and then come back to the first project later on with fresh eyes.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe I will reach out to midwest and see if they are interested in an arrangement to bring back a small run of their kits.

The glowforge and the 3d Printers have really been an amazing help to my hobbying. Instead of fiddling with photo etch to make a 1/200 pom pom anti aircraft gun I can just print one out! I still try to do the photo etch to improve my modeling skill, but it is quite a relief knowing that if I ruin it I can just print one out that looks perfect.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Hi thread, watching some youtube channels got me interested in this hobby, I have a question about paint inhalation specifically. I don't have a dedicated workshop space, I would probably build things on a regular desk in my smallish home office room. No special ventillation, just next to a window. Spray cans are probably completely out of the question. Brush-only seems difficult and time consuming for applying base coat evenly and I'm not confident in my skills at all. How viable would it be to use an airbrush in this environment? How much would I need to secure the area? Or maybe I'm worrying too much and brush is fine?

If it's important, I'm not interested at all in military stuff. Civilian only, so cars, busses, trucks, research vessels, maybe some space stuff.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i do indoor airbrushing with a p100/organic solvent filter respirator and a cleaning pot and it works fine and the little fumes you can smell dissipate rapidly

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If your just spraying acrylics, you don't need much more than a painters mask to be safe with that. The greater threat is just getting aerosolized paint in the air, and it can land anywhere and be a mess. You can always get a cheapy spray booth for airbrushing, and even without outside venting its filters will catch 99% of any overspray.

Start with brushing on base coats though, just to see if the hobby suits you. If it does and you want to do more models, that's when you can think about adding pricier tools to your arsenal.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Things like these work OK too: https://a.co/cy7OMPQ

Not that well for spray paint but decently for airbrushes. For aerosols plan on needing more ventilation. I run a filtered box fan and open at least another basement window whenever I spray. I don a respirator too.

It’s a pain point, but I do think being able to spray paint is pretty handy, so I’d definitely consider some sort of outdoor spray shelter if nothing else. I’ve got a Wagner tent that is pretty decent.

But yeah, try to build some kits with whatever means you have. I’ve had a few that didn’t need anything painted that a brush couldn’t do.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2023

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, pretty much confirms what I've been guessing. I saw those portable spray boxes, but even a cheap one doubles the cost of a cheap airbrush set. Outdoor is also not really an option since I live in an apartament block.

I'll try the brushes and see how it goes then.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have made a terrible mistake and asked for a really highly detailed 1/700 ship for Christmas, and I got what was coming to me. What binocular magnifiers are worth half a drat?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

grassy gnoll posted:

I have made a terrible mistake and asked for a really highly detailed 1/700 ship for Christmas, and I got what was coming to me. What binocular magnifiers are worth half a drat?

The typical ones seen below are good. You can buy them just about anywhere. But I used head magnifiers for years, but I've moved over to a desk mounted magnifier and wouldn't go back. With the head mounted magnifiers, I find the sweet spot where what you are working on is much smaller, and to find it you have to move your hands in or out, or your head in or out. With the desk magnifiers, the focal point is much wider, and since you separate the magnifier from your body, you can move both your head and your hands to find the perfect distance for painting. Moving the magnifier off your body also helps reduce any wobbles as well, if you're body naturally has a bit if wobble to it. I get less headaches using the desk magnifier as well.

Both are good, but I prefer the desk mounted version at this point.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Is the FoV on a desk mounted magnifier like that big enough to give you binocular depth perception? I've never used a single-lens magnifier that size.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grate deceiver posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, pretty much confirms what I've been guessing. I saw those portable spray boxes, but even a cheap one doubles the cost of a cheap airbrush set. Outdoor is also not really an option since I live in an apartament block.

Can you get roof access? That might be awkward to get to but it'd at least be somewhere to spray. I've been told a lot of people in London just spray stuff by a window so the overspray goes "somewhere else" and stop worrying about it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

grassy gnoll posted:

Is the FoV on a desk mounted magnifier like that big enough to give you binocular depth perception? I've never used a single-lens magnifier that size.

Yep.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Can you get roof access? That might be awkward to get to but it'd at least be somewhere to spray. I've been told a lot of people in London just spray stuff by a window so the overspray goes "somewhere else" and stop worrying about it.

Interesting, it might be doable but probably a lot of hassle to get roof keys.
I've also been thinking, I do have a basement space that could be adapted to a small workshop if I cleaned it up a bit. Problem is it's not very well ventilated - there's no windows inside, there's only one in the corridor connecting all the individual spaces. But that's maybe not a huge problem if I only use it sporadically.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I lived in a high rise, I just went down by the dumpsters. The only downside was that I did have to use canned air. Other than that, it wasn't exposed to the wind and it was out of the way. Just had a little tray table I took with me. No one cared about overspray getting on anything. People sprayed furniture down there, maintenance guys painted all sorts of things. No one ever bothered me.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Tried something new for myself, a 1:10 scale bust. This is my first bust and the largest scale human I've ever painted.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

What have I gotten myself into? :dogstare:

Found a Facebook marketplace ad of a local guy clearing out part of his stash. With no local hobby store I took the whole lot!

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tried something new for myself, a 1:10 scale bust. This is my first bust and the largest scale human I've ever painted.

Looks great! Is the painting method more or less the same for smaller figures, just "scaled up"?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

therunningman posted:

Found a Facebook marketplace ad of a local guy clearing out part of his stash. With no local hobby store I took the whole lot!

Pretty cool that he threw in a big box of chips!

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Oh, that's just for re-greasing the sprues before assembly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

therunningman posted:

Looks great! Is the painting method more or less the same for smaller figures, just "scaled up"?

Some of it, for example a small fold on a big shirt or a big fold on a small shirt are more or less the same. Larger features allowed me to go all out on some parts though, like the eyes are filled with Mig Acrylic Crystal to shine, the medals are also glossy and all the gold and silver parts are actually done with metallics so the figure looks like she's ready for a parade when it catches the light. I wouldn't have attempted that at all on a 1:35th scale figure. I also put more effort into different colour of the various parts of the face, whereas on 1:35 if you can make out the facial features at all I just call it a day.

therunningman posted:

That's not what the guides meant by chipping!

I've built the Academy Panzer IV, it's a bit of a rough kit, but it's quite simple, probably about the same level of complexity as the old Tamiya kits you're used to.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

I wouldn't suggest recreating it, but in my 20s when I was less concerned about my health I constructed a temporary spray booth out of cardboard boxes and attached to the kitchen extractor hood.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I settled on this cool research submersible for my first kit: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-52236-shinkai-6500-seabed-diorama-set--1255152

From what I could see, people don't bother with painting the whole body. Just details and panel lining and it still comes out pretty great, so might be perfect for me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Looks cool. The one thing you may want to get is a can of matte spray. Even with the parts molded in the correct colors, they'll be quite shiny and toy-like. A matte spray as your final coat will dull down the surface and give it some realism.

My preferred dulling spray is Tamiya's TS-80 Flat Clear, but there are loads of brands out there that would work fine.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Seeing a bunch of wooden ship kits at ludicrously low prices in ebay, such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195485037899

- I assume they're terrible knock offs? Worth a punt at $10 maybe?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, definitely a knock-off. What they do is just buy an established kit and copy the sprues for the wood pieces. This kit looks like it doesn't come with any metal fittings or anything, just the wood. Most of the cost of a ship kit goes to the lengthy process of research and design, as opposed to materials. So while the kit is probably worth 10 bucks, it might be the case that it is being purchased at the expense of someone who spent a lot of time and effort on the kit, and that person is not being compensated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Unkempt posted:

That's a straight up IP theft of the "Harvey 1847" kit from Artesania Latina.

This kit was originally stolen/copied by ZHL (big Chinese company well known for pirating kits), and has since been ripped off from them in turn by other Chinese IP theft kit makers.

This particular one either is listing the scale incorrectly, or they re-scaled it, but there's no question that it's a cheap copy made in China with no R&D cost. There are multiple copies of this kit on Ebay under different names and scale but all using the same pictures and likely all actually at the same scale.

Unfortunately this is really common in wooden ship models. Sometimes the pirated kits are on the market within months of a new kit release after someone spent years doing the research and design work.